Question Zen 4 builders thread

Page 113 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Thanks for this, but when he installed the app, there is no ohms setting slider. And nothing in the app fixes the issue.

Any more ideas ? Any recommended earbuds that might work better ?

Bear in mind that not all "onboard" motherboard sound is created equal.

Additionally the Creative sound-card I referenced earlier has a REAL high-impedance headphone amp onboard as opposed to the vast majority of "onboard" chips, along with most bargain-basement add-in sound cards.

My Asus B550 board for example has a relatively high-end Realtek audio chip but the Audigy 5 RX was an obvious improvement over it with powered speakers and was night vs day with high-fidelity headphones. (with onboard they sounded like a clock-radio and got about 1/4 as loud)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
That's where I was going with my previous comment. According to the manual for the Motherboard you should be connected to the green rear audio jack for headphones.
yes, in the green jack. They worked on the cheapest Zen 1 motherboard, but not on this Zen 4 board.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
yes, in the green jack. They worked on the cheapest Zen 1 motherboard, but not on this Zen 4 board.

Some boards will have a black jack specifically for quality headphones or non-powered speakers.

Bear in mind the "cheapest Zen 1 MB" may have had sufficient power to "push" the headphones while the new "improved" Zen 4 may not. Either that or the jack and/or the chip itself may have been damaged by "hot" plugging/unplugging powered speakers which is depressingly easy to do. (and is also capable of ruining your speakers as a bonus)

The easiest (not cheapest!) solution is to go with an external USB sound card with it's own DAC and legit onboard power. Make the right choice and "fidelity" should also improve w/an external DAC since it bypasses all MOST of the electrical "noise" inside the PC case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Markfw

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Some boards will have a black jack specifically for quality headphones or non-powered speakers.

Bear in mind the "cheapest Zen 1 MB" may have had sufficient power to "push" the headphones while the new "improved" Zen 4 may not. Either that or the jack and/or the chip itself may have been damaged by "hot" plugging/unplugging powered speakers which is depressingly easy to do. (and is also capable of ruining your speakers as a bonus)

The easiest (not cheapest!) solution is to go with an external USB sound card with it's own DAC and legit onboard power. Make the right choice and "fidelity" should also improve w/an external DAC since it bypasses all MOST of the electrical "noise" inside the PC case.
Thanks ! I ordered one. This has to be the solution !

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Had my first BSOD yesterday, when I shut off the computer and the boot into windows was really slow afterwards. But now everything seems normal.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Had my first BSOD yesterday, when I shut off the computer and the boot into windows was really slow afterwards. But now everything seems normal.
I booted my zen 4 box last night for it to not initialize and recognize my M.2 drive. Booted straight to UEFI. Damndest thing, a reboot and it worked fine.

I'll chalk it up to the randomness of the universe unless a pattern emerges.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Another interesting article about ECC support seeming to work in Linux with consumer AM5 motherboards (and specific AGESA versions).

I guess I'll give it another shot when I upgrade to Zen 5. The old 7950X (at maybe 105W) would make a good enough server chip.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Another interesting article about ECC support seeming to work in Linux with consumer AM5 motherboards (and specific AGESA versions).

I guess I'll give it another shot when I upgrade to Zen 5. The old 7950X (at maybe 105W) would make a good enough server chip.
ECC was supported at release then disabled via agesa update. It was re-enabled in 1.0.0.5c, and as far as I am aware it will enable on all boards. Whether you can get error reporting or injection working is the wildcard, and as far as I know asus is the only brand that does handle both of those.

Last edited: