Zen 2 APUs/"Renoir" discussion thread

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
The thing is, those models are OEM-only they should not be leaking into retail channels at this speed.

There is no leaks nowhere in sight. There is no special orders or commands from AMD(military Gestapo style), which explicitly prohibit OEM Renoir APU sales to classic retail market.

AMD just doesn't care, because there are no very strict rules and prohibitions.It is just classic bussines, one way or another AMD sells everything that TSMC can produce.

As reminder, R5 3500/R5 3500X should be China only CPU.But in reality, as you see Germany and Croatia is also part of China.:grinning:

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/AMD-Ryzen-5-3500X-6x-3-60GHz-So-AM4-TRAY_1378582.html

https://www.adm.hr/cpu-amd-ryzen-5-3500x-box-s-am4-100-100000158box/67603/product/

Because of mining madness=GPU shortage, there is much lager demand for Renoir/Cezanne APU in retail DiY market.GPU shortage will not end in near future.Now or today or in the future, solid iGPU will be very important no doubt.

Last edited:

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
256bit GDDR6 CPU, 64 bit GDDR5 GPU, that has to be one of the most bizzare things i ever saw.

Fun fact: The 4750G Vega 8 with DDR4-3600 is likely faster than the 64 bit version of the RX 550.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
These would be salvaged dies so I think it's more like proper utilization of silicon.

Yeah these are chips with defective GPU cores (or some other issue) that couldn't be used in a console. If they weren't being used for this, they'd just get tossed out. The quantity on these chips isn't very large, so they tend to end up in Asian markets where some company will take whatever number they can get and release a small product line based off of it. There was an AT article from around the end of last year about a computer using the Xbox One APU which was Jaguar-based.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Is Renoir really taht slow on battery?

It completely depends on the laptop configuration. Some laptops will hard limit power use on battery in order to extend battery life but that will come at a significant performance impact. Other laptops might be configured to offer more similar to AC power performance but will have much shorter battery life of course.

Edit: If you look at the part where he checks power consumption, clearly the Intel is allowed to consume more power than the AMD counterpart. I believe Microsoft also advertises the AMD system as having a longer battery life as well so it seems like the Intel and AMD versions are tweaked differently where the AMD configuration sacrifices more performance for longer battery life.

Last edited:

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
It completely depends on the laptop configuration. Some laptops will hard limit power use on battery in order to extend battery life but that will come at a significant performance impact. Other laptops might be configured to offer more similar to AC power performance but will have much shorter battery life of course.

Edit: If you look at the part where he checks power consumption, clearly the Intel is allowed to consume more power than the AMD counterpart. I believe Microsoft also advertises the AMD system as having a longer battery life as well so it seems like the Intel and AMD versions are tweaked differently where the AMD configuration sacrifices more performance for longer battery life.

I'm aware that this can happen, but did Microsoft made the AMD version that much slower on purpose?

Why would it be any slower on battery ( i own a 4700u) , if an oem/odm sets it to run differently when on battery then it will run differently on battery. Lenovo just have 3 pre-sets (performance, "quite"and battery saving) that you can use regardless of AC or battery.

That's what I thought at first, that he testes the two version with different power profiles. But it's "the same model", wouldn't be improbable for the two versions to come with different profiles?

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I'm aware that this can happen, but did Microsoft made the AMD version that much slower on purpose?

That's what I thought at first, that he testes the two version with different power profiles. But it's "the same model", wouldn't be improbable for the two versions to come with different profiles?

The way AMD and Intel handle power management is not exactly the same and there are lots of knobs outside of the power profiles that the OEM can use to drastically change power/performance of the processors on and off battery. Like I mentioned earlier, if you look at the point in the video where he checks the power consumption, it's pretty obvious the Intel unit is allowing the CPU to use significantly more power on battery.

Edit: One other thing that this unit is probably running into is that the Geekbench tests are very short tests. On battery, the AMD laptop is probably configured to have slow ramp times comparative to the others in terms of its boosting behavior when on battery. In other words, the AMD CPU may be completing a very significant portion of each sub-test before fully ramping to its boost clocks and then there is a break between each test so it drops back down to idle frequencies. This is one of those tweaks that can be done to increase battery life that will have an especially significant effect on short tasks / benchmarks like Geekbench.

Last edited:

scineram

Nov 1, 2020
Lucienne had significant fixes over Renoir, especially power management. So not surprised by this.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
Well it is not APU, but 4700S here it is finally officially launched.

Reactions: lightmanek

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
According to AMD it only supports PCIe Gen 2 x4. That'd be a pretty severe bottleneck. Not convinced this will actually be released outside of China.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
It's interesting that there regularly seem to be public products based on salvaged SoCs intended for Xbox consoles, but none for Playstation ones.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
It's interesting that there regularly seem to be public products based on salvaged SoCs intended for Xbox consoles, but none for Playstation ones.

The PS5 Zen 2 has some features removed I believe. Probably makes OS compatibility an issue.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Well it is not APU, but 4700S here it is finally officially launched.

I'm going to look away and pretend that didn't happen.

• Haha
Reactions: lightmanek

cortexa99

Jul 2, 2018
Oh you know the price?
I haven't seen a price for the 4700S.

HTPC with 4700S Desktop Kit price 4399¥ CNY (681.36$ USD)

I personally will ditch any platform that cannot expand memory module......