Your next car (and what you're driving now)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
For the price that it would cost me to trade in my shitbox and pay on top of that for the RS, I'd rather just get a R32 GTST (which was my original plan).

Also going from a paid off car to having to pay is a big L.

So I'm back on the "Imma get a GTST and eventually swap a RB25 in there" mindset (to the point where I literally made a spreadsheet with various manuals and price on various parts)

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
I currently have a 2019 Jaguar XF Sportbrake and will hopefully change it for the I-Pace in 2 years if it is on the employee discount scheme. If not I will see what is available at a good price.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Current: VW Golf R, APR stg 2+
Next: probably Audi RS3 but maybe something electric

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
For the price that it would cost me to trade in my shitbox and pay on top of that for the RS, I'd rather just get a R32 GTST (which was my original plan).

Also going from a paid off car to having to pay is a big L.

So I'm back on the "Imma get a GTST and eventually swap a RB25 in there" mindset (to the point where I literally made a spreadsheet with various manuals and price on various parts)

What the hell is a R32?

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I'm not sure why anyone other than crazy fanatics and boy racer drifters care about R32s anymore or Silvias or any of those cars.

Feb 25, 2011
I'm not sure why anyone other than crazy fanatics and boy racer drifters care about R32s anymore or Silvias or any of those cars.
I only just got a Playstation Emulator and started playing Gran Tourismo like, last week. Don't ruin it for me.

PISTON1246

Oct 25, 2018
noscopes.boards.net
I had a 1999 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. I wish I would have gotten an old Pontiac (box Caprice look alike). The acceleration was on par with a Porche Boxter (non turbo), which isn't saying much. Crashed it and currently have no car.

I like full size cars with big trunks and a V8.

I am thinking about getting a Ram 2500 or 3500 with the Cummins engine, 4x4, manual transmission, and roll up windows. I am not sure if I want the 2 door or Quad Cab.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
What the hell is a R32?
Nissan Skyline, 90s JDM classic
This
90s kids remember
They are watching Initial D just now
I watched Initial D a few years ago, good show (atleast the first few seasons). Also AE86s are rare/hard to find (ones that aren't beat)
I only just got a Playstation Emulator and started playing Gran Tourismo like, last week. Don't ruin it for me.
vroom vroom

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Currently driving a 2018 6MT Ecoboost Mustang. Fun to have a turbo again!

Next car is an AWD Model Y. Goal is to get the stang paid off & start modding it after the warranty expires. I figure I have a few years left before the Y comes out, production ramps up, the bugs get worked out, and full self-driving becomes available.

Winter should be interesting with RWD again ;)

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Currently driving a 2018 6MT Ecoboost Mustang. Fun to have a turbo again!

Next car is an AWD Model Y. Goal is to get the stang paid off & start modding it after the warranty expires. I figure I have a few years left before the Y comes out, production ramps up, the bugs get worked out, and full self-driving becomes available.

Winter should be interesting with RWD again ;)
what kinda mods you wanna do to the stang? (obv wheels + tires, and more low)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
what kinda mods you wanna do to the stang? (obv wheels + tires, and more low)

Opposite actually, haha - I really like the stock base rims with my color, I like the extra cushion of tire for the ride quality, and I'm not interested in going any lower. One of the things that sold me on the S550 is that it has about a 5.4" ground clearance, so I don't have to worry about scraping on angled entrances, which are popular here in CT. As well as potholes & other crappy road features!

I'll start with a bigger turbo & see where it goes from there. The V8 was amazing, but I really like turbo engines, and from a geek perspective, I think it's amazing what they've done with the 2.3L package. There's literally like a foot open on either side of the engine lol. My target will probably be 500 HP. Right now, it's my DD for the foreseeable future. Haven't driven RWD in snow in like 15 years, so that should be fun, although the nannies like ESC are pretty good these days.

Only things I've done so far are ceramic for the paint (Opti-coat) & glass (Glassparency), and a light-colored heat-reduction tint (3M Crystalline), plus install a front & rear dashcam. The ceramic exterior coatings make it pretty easy to maintain since I park outside, and the crystalline is nice for not turning into a puddle during the summer from the heat hitting the black interior all day. 3,500 miles in & pretty dang happy with it so far! It's a very livable sports car...I'm quite comfortable in it (long legs), the ride is surprisingly good thanks to IRS, the adjustable steering wheel modes are super nice on the highway so that it's not so twitchy, it gets super quiet in normal driving mode so that it doesn't drone on long highway rides, the clutch is crazy light for stop & go traffic, etc.

Looking forward to keeping this forever! Eventually it will be the "fun" car when the AWD Model Y comes out with FSD, and that EV should easily last 20 years, based on how much I drive.

YNvNEQ5.jpg

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Nissan Skyline, 90s JDM classic

This

90s kids remember

I watched Initial D a few years ago, good show (atleast the first few seasons). Also AE86s are rare/hard to find (ones that aren't beat)

vroom vroom

So go get a Toyota GT86. New car with the old car fun without the old car problems.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Opposite actually, haha - I really like the stock base rims with my color, I like the extra cushion of tire for the ride quality, and I'm not interested in going any lower. One of the things that sold me on the S550 is that it has about a 5.4" ground clearance, so I don't have to worry about scraping on angled entrances, which are popular here in CT. As well as potholes & other crappy road features!

I'll start with a bigger turbo & see where it goes from there. The V8 was amazing, but I really like turbo engines, and from a geek perspective, I think it's amazing what they've done with the 2.3L package. There's literally like a foot open on either side of the engine lol. My target will probably be 500 HP. Right now, it's my DD for the foreseeable future. Haven't driven RWD in snow in like 15 years, so that should be fun, although the nannies like ESC are pretty good these days.

Only things I've done so far are ceramic for the paint (Opti-coat) & glass (Glassparency), and a light-colored heat-reduction tint (3M Crystalline), plus install a front & rear dashcam. The ceramic exterior coatings make it pretty easy to maintain since I park outside, and the crystalline is nice for not turning into a puddle during the summer from the heat hitting the black interior all day. 3,500 miles in & pretty dang happy with it so far! It's a very livable sports car...I'm quite comfortable in it (long legs), the ride is surprisingly good thanks to IRS, the adjustable steering wheel modes are super nice on the highway so that it's not so twitchy, it gets super quiet in normal driving mode so that it doesn't drone on long highway rides, the clutch is crazy light for stop & go traffic, etc.

Looking forward to keeping this forever! Eventually it will be the "fun" car when the AWD Model Y comes out with FSD, and that EV should easily last 20 years, based on how much I drive.

YNvNEQ5.jpg
Ah CT roads. That color looks amazing.
So go get a Toyota GT86. New car with the old car fun without the old car problems.
FRS/BRZ/GT86 are still more expensive than my "obtainable dream car" and I'm not super into AE86s, they're cool but not something I long for.

Fun note, people don't realize that the GT86 is just a reincarnation of the AE86 (and people complain it being slow)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Ah CT roads. That color looks amazing.

FRS/BRZ/GT86 are still more expensive than my "obtainable dream car" and I'm not super into AE86s, they're cool but not something I long for.

It's a pretty trippy color...usually it's just flat purple (well, I guess more of "black cherry" than like purple-purple), but when the sunlight hits it, the metallic red comes out. It's hard to photograph, depending on the lighting. I had to boost the colors to show the shift in this picture, although you can't see the metallic flakes. I actually don't really like red on the S550 design at all, but this color looks awesome because of the minor color-shift that happens.

L0Apsm0.jpg

Reactions: cmdrdredd

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
It's a pretty trippy color...usually it's just flat purple (well, I guess more of "black cherry" than like purple-purple), but when the sunlight hits it, the metallic red comes out. It's hard to photograph, depending on the lighting. I had to boost the colors to show the shift in this picture, although you can't see the metallic flakes. I actually don't really like red on the S550 design at all, but this color looks awesome because of the minor color-shift that happens.

L0Apsm0.jpg
that color looks really nice, im jealous

Reactions: Kaido

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Holding onto the '13 BRZ for now, less than 20k on it. Aside from the new Supra, which is basically just an expensive BMW, there's nothing I've kept my eyes on. I was thinking about the Focus RS or WRX STI but ultimately passed on both... not because I found something I didn't like but because I couldn't afford both :D

I will eventually buy another S2000, and do a rebuild but not right now.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

L0Apsm0.jpg

That color is crazy. My old e46 m3 is in "interlagos blue" which is like a flat darker bluish-purple if it's cloudy or flat lighting but turns into a bright blue in sunlight, but it's nowhere near as dramatic as that.

Feb 25, 2011
That color is crazy. My old e46 m3 is in "interlagos blue" which is like a flat darker bluish-purple if it's cloudy or flat lighting but turns into a bright blue in sunlight, but it's nowhere near as dramatic as that.

"Of course not officer, as you can plainly see, my car is purple!"

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Fun note, people don't realize that the GT86 is just a reincarnation of the AE86 (and people complain it being slow)

Yes because the AE86 had a 2.0 liter subaru boxer and the GT86 is also a hatchback... wat? Just because "86" is in the name doesn't mean it's a direct re-imagining... The AE is also a Corolla, technically.

People complain it's slow because no turbo, yet if it had a turbo it wouldn't start at $25k and bros using them for drag racing would still get schooled by AWD Evos and Focus RS's. The 86 is a canyon carver, and it excels as such, like the Miata. N/A power is also nicer/smoother than boost if you're going for raw power. And, if not, there's only like a thousand FI packages for the cars if you absolutely need the turbo.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Yes because the AE86 had a 2.0 liter subaru boxer and the GT86 is also a hatchback... wat? Just because "86" is in the name doesn't mean it's a direct re-imagining... The AE is also a Corolla, technically.

4dc.gif

dtgoodwin

Jun 5, 2009
Had an '08 Prius with 203k that I got rid of a month ago replaced by a '13 Volt. The Volt is perfect for us (wife and 2 kids). 95% of our driving that aren't family vacations can be done in electric-only mode. I thought it would be more of a lateral upgrade than it is. The Volt is so much nicer to drive, is quieter, far more responsive in acceleration and handling. Overall, very, very happy with the change.

Reactions: Yuriman

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011

People complain it's slow because no turbo, yet if it had a turbo it wouldn't start at $25k and bros using them for drag racing would still get schooled by AWD Evos and Focus RS's. The 86 is a canyon carver, and it excels as such, like the Miata. N/A power is also nicer/smoother than boost if you're going for raw power. And, if not, there's only like a thousand FI packages for the cars if you absolutely need the turbo.
Sticking a boxer into a reincarnation of the AE86 is questionable, but still