Your next car (and what you're driving now)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Last 4 have been Ford F150's, the next one will be a F150. That will end up being the last truck I ever own, kind of a depressing thought.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
No model selected yet but it will be a station wagon with fold flat seats and a comfy ride. With our cats dying off, we’re getting ready for some long distance touring and looking for a good turnpike cruiser.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
No model selected yet but it will be a station wagon with fold flat seats and a comfy ride. With our cats dying off, we’re getting ready for some long distance touring and looking for a good turnpike cruiser.

E63 AMG Wagon :awe:

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Currently have a 2004 Corolla LX (as backup) and 2014 Subaru Forester (main car). Looking to replace the Corolla a year or two from now. Since we have the Forester, looking at cross over or small SUV. The Buick Encore was pretty good and the test drive was very smooth. That or a RAV4.. But wife prefers the Buick.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Currently have a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban and love the damned thing. Had it for around 7 years and currently has 125k. I've done nothing but oil and brakes. When I drive it feels like I'm driving a Lazy Boy down the highway. I don't drive it much, less than 10k and more like 5k a year.

Next vehicle will likely be a new version Bronco. I have wanted an FJ forever but have not bought anything through there life cycle. I wont buy anything for another four years until my wifes car is paid off. (This is the third new car since I had this truck, next one is mine) They will just be to old then. Bronco comes out next year, so I can get one two or three years old heavily discounted.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
2008 Accord now, some minor annoyances, but pretty solid in all things important. If I didn't have money to spend, I'd keep it for another 5+ years.

I plan to buy in spring 2019, I'm eyeing midsize luxury sedan, German three (BMW 5, MB E, Audi A6), Cadillac CTS, Lexus, maybe Genesis and a few others.

So far, new Audi A6 is the front runner, there isn't much love for Audi around here, especially since I tend to keep cars for 10+ years, but people around me have had good experiences (my manager is on his 3rd Audi, Q7 after 2xA6 Avant keeping each for 7-8 years), so I'm gonna give it a try. Maintenance/upkeep won't be cheap no matter what I pick in this class anyway.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
Im driving a 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback and want to pick up the 2019 Mazda 3 hatchback with the new engine which is specd at 46mpg and 190hp.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
Oh dear, now I'm considering a 2019 Miata. Some one save me from this madness :eek:
Ive also looked upon the BMW Z4's...man those are nice looking but I have no idea how they would be in the New England winters.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
2008 Accord now, some minor annoyances, but pretty solid in all things important. If I didn't have money to spend, I'd keep it for another 5+ years.

I plan to buy in spring 2019, I'm eyeing midsize luxury sedan, German three (BMW 5, MB E, Audi A6), Cadillac CTS, Lexus, maybe Genesis and a few others.

So far, new Audi A6 is the front runner, there isn't much love for Audi around here, especially since I tend to keep cars for 10+ years, but people around me have had good experiences (my manager is on his 3rd Audi, Q7 after 2xA6 Avant keeping each for 7-8 years), so I'm gonna give it a try. Maintenance/upkeep won't be cheap no matter what I pick in this class anyway.

I have nothing but love for late model Audi’s. My wife has had an A4 and now a Q7 and they have been rock solid.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Ive also looked upon the BMW Z4's...man those are nice looking but I have no idea how they would be in the New England winters.

Fine with a good set of snow tires. Z4s have even weight distribution, unlike the older Z3s, so they handle predictably and competently even in snow.

I drove a 2003 330i (RWD, 50:50 weight distribution as well) for five years in greater Boston and it was fine even without snows. Every once in a while I had trouble getting up hills or some sliding on braking but that was more due to crappy all season tires -- steering and handling was predictable even with some sliding around. I would drive in anything about five inches and under, after which point the car is too low.

That said, I have Blizzaks on the 04 330xi (AWD) I drive now and it's almost impossibly good in comparison. Very hard to get it to slip at all, even flooring it in second / using significant throttle in first. My driveway is on a fairly steep hill and I get up with no issues or slipping ... so far everyone else who's gone down there I have ended up pushing up. I love snow tires and having the AWD version of the car doesn't hurt either, but is unnecessary.

I posted a page back that I'm going to wait to address the rust on the car and now I'm thinking I've convinced myself to get a quote to get it all fixed :rolleyes: The right electric for me at the right price point is probably five years off ...

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
It does have flat folding seats. :D

It costs more than my house did but my house didn't come with any seats so I guess it's worth the extra expense.
I made the mistake of looking at the price for just a used one on carguru's. Wow. I think I will stick with a 2019 Mazda 3 hatchback.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I have a 2002 Buick Park Avenue. Very low miles for the year. Looks perfect. Drives perfect. I get around 30 Mpg on the highway, which is plenty. Being a little over 6'7" there really aren't very many cars I can actually fit in comfortably. I window shop from time to time, but nothing out there really fits. And since what I have is just fine, I don't have the new car bug.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Currently driving a 2017 Premium spec'd Mustang GT and can't see getting anything else right now. I'm doing an exhaust upgrade today, already have a CAI installed, next will be a tune. Down the line I plan to upgrade a bit more so I'm not really thinking about anything else at the moment. I usually drive my cars a long time. Last vehicle was a 2008 Civic which I bought brand new in late 2007 and just got rid of this year so...

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I have a 2002 Buick Park Avenue. Very low miles for the year. Looks perfect. Drives perfect. I get around 30 Mpg on the highway, which is plenty. Being a little over 6'7" there really aren't very many cars I can actually fit in comfortably. I window shop from time to time, but nothing out there really fits. And since what I have is just fine, I don't have the new car bug.

Are you relatively thin? If so, German cars have in my experience always offered the most space for taller people (at least in the front seat). While it seems better these days, I used to always have problems with most Japanese cars (Honda, Subaru, Mazda, etc). Now that the Japanese cars sold here are often designed here as well (Camry, Accord, Legacy, etc), it seems to have gotten much better.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Are you relatively thin? If so, German cars have in my experience always offered the most space for taller people (at least in the front seat). While it seems better these days, I used to always have problems with most Japanese cars (Honda, Subaru, Mazda, etc). Now that the Japanese cars sold here are often designed here as well (Camry, Accord, Legacy, etc), it seems to have gotten much better.

FYI: This is what we use in our Highlander.
http://extendmyseat.com/

Ideally paired with a car equipped with a telescoping steering wheel.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
My weight is appropiate for my height. I've tried all the Japanese cars, and none of them fit. Years ago I had a Volvo 740, which I loved. I actually fit pretty well and the seats were the most comfortable I've ever had in a car.