You will be a part of history

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
Don't you just love seeing the Right squirm?

They are doing everything in their power to discredit Obama on Day 1.

Discredit? Are you serious? I didn't realize how forbidden it was to scrutinize, question, and examine our future president.

Jeez... people ask a few basic questions, and look how defensive the die-hards get.

Fascist-Liberal much?

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Seems like the residual effects from the previous administration would have *everything* to do with the next one. It'll take at least a year just to determine how fucked we really are.

Make no mistake: we're plenty fucked. But the same folks who can't look Obama in the eye without blushing also believe our economic crisis is largely (or even wholly) attributable to Bush. That's dangerous thinking.
You don't think the bush administration and its policies has any culpability in the current condition of the u.s.? Is it clinton's fault? Bush I's fault?

Is the removal of much regulation or the lack of new regulation at fault?

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Seems like the residual effects from the previous administration would have *everything* to do with the next one. It'll take at least a year just to determine how fucked we really are.

Make no mistake: we're plenty fucked. But the same folks who can't look Obama in the eye without blushing also believe our economic crisis is largely (or even wholly) attributable to Bush. That's dangerous thinking.
You don't think the bush administration and its policies has any culpability in the current condition of the u.s.? Is it clinton's fault? Bush I's fault?

Wow... you took quite a few liberties in interpreting my "largely (or even wholly attributable)" statement.

Did I imply there's no culpability? Absolutely not. However, Pelosi's statements just before the house vote on the bailout pinned these problems squarely and wholly on Bush. While I have a difficult time believing those are Pelosi's true beliefs (she's smarter than that; she was merely politicking), there are those on the left who do subscribe to this notion - a notion of ignorance and/or delusion.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

He never said Bush2 was without any culpability; he only said that he was not "wholly" culpable. Some looming issues, such as future SS/Medicare funding, were already problems when Bush took office; like prior presidents, he merely failed to deal with them. Other problems, such as Iraq, are wholly on Bush. Somewhere between Bush gets ALL the blame and Bush gets NONE of the blame lies the truth.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: Specop 007
I'll finally have the chance to say "Not my President!" and wonder why on earth people would vote in a racist black man with ties to domestic terrorism.

You KNOW the R's have fucked up very, very badly when someone like that can beat your candidate!!

Ironic you call Obama a racist with that sig.

Ironic you supporting crime under the disguise of racism.

I call a spade a spade, nothing more. At some point in our history facts were replaced with feelings and political correctness.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Personally, I'm at a point where I don't care who wins. McCain has lost me over the past month, and I don't see much difference in his impact as president than Obama's impact. Neither are what we need economically. However, I think what frightens me most is the cult-like following he has. I've heard phrases like "a palpable sense of hope", "a new America", and "spreading the wealth."

Am I the only one disturbed by this?

You have got to be taking the piss?

McCain has the religious right, that is far more fucked up than anything Obamas followers could muster even if they tried their damndest.

The religious right isn't going to be running the country for the next 4 years. A wholly unproven Obama backed by a Democratic legislative branch WILL BE.

I'm a little unfamiliar with the phrase "taking the piss," but the Left has been passing the Kool Aide around and the bowl was bone dry when it got to me. I'm therefore left to wonder what - aside from Obama being black - there is to be so weak-in-the-knees about.

I'm sorry, excuse me for my English, i'm English, see.

The religious right has been running the US into the ground for 8 years, started one war with NO justification, kept it up and in the REAL war on terror (i'm in Afghanistan ) we got as much as is spent in three weeks in Iraq, yet our challenges are greater, the population is greater, the surface is greater and it's HERE Al Quaidas headquarters are, it's in *points* those mountains Bin Laden is.

But skip that, play along like the stupid little partisan twat you are and for the love of fuck, don't forget to jump when they tell your ignorant arse to jump.

Here's an idea: grow the fuck up, cut the shit, and familiarize yourself with the individual you're speaking to and what their stances are before you toss your lunch.

You keep trying to place all of this in the context of the religious right and the past 8 years. Here's a newsflash you little cumstain: those years are behind us. They're irrelevant in terms of the next president. I don't give a fuck about a McCain presidency because 1) I don't support McCain and, more importantly 2) he's not going to be elected.

I don't care about the religious right at this moment because, while they've been my problem for the past 8 years, they're not my problem for the next 4.

Get it?

Forget your meds today?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Don't you just love seeing the Right squirm?

They are doing everything in their power to discredit Obama on Day 1. Most Americans understand the importance of Obama winning this election goes well beyond a Democrat finally winning an election. Minorities in this country have made substantial progress in the last century or so, but the White House has always been reserved for the privileged white. To see a man who grew up in Hawaii on food stamps to an interracial family with a name like Barack Hussein Obama win the Presidency is a testament to how far this nation has come. I understand the importance of it, and I hope you can put your petty partisan differences aside on this as it transcends either Party.
You can't call his family 'interracial' he was raised by his white grandparents and his white mom. He black dad had nothing to do with his up bringing.

As for the food stamp thing?? At what point in his life was he on food stamps? Living in Hawaii he went to a private school from the 5th grade on. This year the school is charging $16,675 for tuition. His grandmother was the vice president of a bank.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: buck
Personally, I'm at a point where I don't care who wins. McCain has lost me over the past month, and I don't see much difference in his impact as president than Obama's impact. Neither are what we need economically. However, I think what frightens me most is the cult-like following he has. I've heard phrases like "a palpable sense of hope", "a new America", and "spreading the wealth."

Am I the only one disturbed by this?

You have got to be taking the piss?

McCain has the religious right, that is far more fucked up than anything Obamas followers could muster even if they tried their damndest.

The religious right isn't going to be running the country for the next 4 years. A wholly unproven Obama backed by a Democratic legislative branch WILL BE.

I'm a little unfamiliar with the phrase "taking the piss," but the Left has been passing the Kool Aide around and the bowl was bone dry when it got to me. I'm therefore left to wonder what - aside from Obama being black - there is to be so weak-in-the-knees about.

I'm sorry, excuse me for my English, i'm English, see.

The religious right has been running the US into the ground for 8 years, started one war with NO justification, kept it up and in the REAL war on terror (i'm in Afghanistan ) we got as much as is spent in three weeks in Iraq, yet our challenges are greater, the population is greater, the surface is greater and it's HERE Al Quaidas headquarters are, it's in *points* those mountains Bin Laden is.

But skip that, play along like the stupid little partisan twat you are and for the love of fuck, don't forget to jump when they tell your ignorant arse to jump.

Here's an idea: grow the fuck up, cut the shit, and familiarize yourself with the individual you're speaking to and what their stances are before you toss your lunch.

You keep trying to place all of this in the context of the religious right and the past 8 years. Here's a newsflash you little cumstain: those years are behind us. They're irrelevant in terms of the next president. I don't give a fuck about a McCain presidency because 1) I don't support McCain and, more importantly 2) he's not going to be elected.

I don't care about the religious right at this moment because, while they've been my problem for the past 8 years, they're not my problem for the next 4.

Get it?

Forget your meds today?

I replied in the same tone he did; it was civil until he changed the color of the discussion.

That's just how I roll, ese.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Specop 007
I'll finally have the chance to say "Not my President!" and wonder why on earth people would vote in a racist black man with ties to domestic terrorism.

Leonore Annenberg, wife of the founder of the Annenberg charities, endorsed McCain and contributed to his campaign, according to a McCain press release. You know what that means? McCain is bragging about being endorsed and accepting funding from someone who bankrolls terrorists! Who is the real John McCain?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
To see a man who grew up in Hawaii on food stamps to an interracial family with a name like Barack Hussein Obama win the Presidency is a testament to how far this nation

You can't call his family 'interracial'

Someone call the men in white coats.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
You can't call his family 'interracial' he was raised by his white grandparents and his white mom. He black dad had nothing to do with his up bringing.

An absent black father?

Stop the presses!

Ironically thought that is one of the times that I think Obama did say the right thing rather than the most politically expedient thing with his Father's Day speech.

It hits a lot closer to home when the first black president tells you to get your shit together rather than a bunch of white people.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Wow... you took quite a few liberties in interpreting my "largely (or even wholly attributable)" statement.
K. List your rules of interpretation and I'll try to abide by them.

You seem to be exceedingly focused on the political personalities. Pelosi is certainly a pol but then she's just a pol.

Maybe we can agree that the bush administration fucked up big time. I probably believe that they fucked up more than you but it's not relevant.

Man, you're quite sensitive. Are you a republican supporter? If you voted for bush then I could understand feeling pretty stupid about now. But the time for recriminations has passed. We just need to make sure it doesn't happen again - that the neocon movement is stamped out.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Mursilis

He never said Bush2 was without any culpability; he only said that he was not "wholly" culpable. Some looming issues, such as future SS/Medicare funding, were already problems when Bush took office; like prior presidents, he merely failed to deal with them. Other problems, such as Iraq, are wholly on Bush. Somewhere between Bush gets ALL the blame and Bush gets NONE of the blame lies the truth.
And you seem quite sensitive also. You should handle your grief and embarrassment privately. You need to not beat yourself up so much.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

1. Reading comprehension

2. No strawmen

Taking "Bush is not wholly or largely culpable" and transforming it into "not at all culpable" violates #1 if you're ignorant, #2 if you're stubborn, or both if you're... both.

You seem to be exceedingly focused on the political personalities.

Well, at the moment, that's all Obama is to me. A personality. He'll become more in the next four years.

Maybe we can agree that the bush administration fucked up big time. I probably believe that they fucked up more than you but it's not relevant.

You might be surprised, but on this forum, anyone unwilling to blindly blame him for everything is relegated to the Neocon/Fascist category. I consider myself a rather free thinker, and if you read my posts over the past few weeks, you'll find a rather flexible and mobile mindset. I'm not fixed in my views. It wasn't long ago that I abandoned John McCain. However, that doesn't mean that I swallow whatever the Left is selling without asking questions.

But like I said in another reply in this thread, asking questions about Obama - no matter how innocent they are - is rather unpopular and unaccepted.

Man, you're quite sensitive. Are you a republican supporter?

I'm very sensitive to the hypocrisy on this board, yes. The blind faith exibited by the Left is every bit as scary and disturbing as the right wing religious whackos. Neither are a rational, thinking group.

I'm a Republican supporter insofar as they are more aligned with my economic values than the Democrats are (REAL Republicans - not what we have today). For instance, I firmly believe that Obama's tax programs will lead to substantial job loss. However, McCain's preference for large, bloated government makes it every bit as difficult to support him, instead. In the end, I simply want fiscal responsibility. I could give a shit about gay marriage, sodomy (butt sex is underrated), religious affiliation (as long as it doesn't affect me), etc. I want streets, water, electricity, property rights, and national security from my government. That's about it.

that the neocon movement is stamped out.

As long as the Neoliberal movement isn't ushered in right behind it, I'm fine with that. I'm not eager to trade one disastrous, extreme ideology for another.

-- snip --
And you seem quite sensitive also. You should handle your grief and embarrassment privately. You need to not beat yourself up so much.

He was merely correcting you - rather politely, I might add - on your strawman attempt. Just because someone calls you out for your lame attempt to put words in someone's mouth or distort their position does not make them "sensitive". His statements were logical, calm, and rational. No need to be so defensive and reactionary; we're not a threat to you. We're just saying this isn't all Bush's fault. Sorry if that's difficult to accept.

microbial

Oct 10, 2008
If Obama wins it will be history according to McCain/Palin (McFalin').

It would mean that someone who is "Not one of us" was elected. And you know what "Not one of us" means...don't'cha (wink)...

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007

1. Reading comprehension

2. No strawmen
My apologies, I was just kidding about following any of your rules.

Not even going to get into your attempt to rewrite history.

---

I don't disagree that others are hyper-sensitive about republican policies and actions these past eight years. I could say something like "well, just look what ___ said/did" but that's lame. The fact that some have defended these republican policies and actions is equally indefensible and exhibits extreme party hackery.

No matter who gets elected, I plan to give praise and criticism where it is deserved in the coming years. Fuck any religious-like loyalties.

-- snip --
He was merely correcting you - rather politely, I might add - on your strawman attempt. Just because someone calls you out for your lame attempt to put words in someone's mouth or distort their position does not make them "sensitive". His statements were logical, calm, and rational. No need to be so defensive and reactionary; we're not a threat to you. We're just saying this isn't all Bush's fault. Sorry if that's difficult to accept.
It's not difficult to accept - it's impossible to accept. But I'm not going to get into with his solicitor.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

I'd love to see you try. You rewrote/misrepresented my words. Either admit it or quit drawing attention to it.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: microbial
If Obama wins it will be history according to McCain/Palin (McFalin').

It would mean that someone who is "Not one of us" was elected. And you know what "Not one of us" means...don't'cha (wink)...

someone who's so set apart from small town america that he thinks they cling to their religion out of xenophobia?

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007

I'd love to see you try. You rewrote/misrepresented my words. Either admit it or quit drawing attention to it.
You're a pretty bossy guy, eh? You've just hit a brick wall.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

You're a pretty bossy guy, eh? You've just hit a brick wall.

I'm not bossy; but if you're going to be an ass and misrepresent my words - especially in such stupid fashion - I will certainly hold your feet to the fire.

The only brick wall around here is the one separating the two halves of your brain.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Get it?

Those years may be behind us but it's not like there's a clean slate on 1/20/09. Whoever wins this election is going to have one hellova mess to clean up. The (R)'s had their chance from 2000-2006. It's time to give the (D)'s a chance.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Look at the Right go.

"He's 50% black"
"He's not interracial"
"He's really white"

You all look very foolish. There is a reason why none of your attacks on Obama have worked, I'll let you figure out why.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Robor

Get it?

Those years may be behind us but it's not like there's a clean slate on 1/20/09. Whoever wins this election is going to have one hellova mess to clean up. The (R)'s had their chance from 2000-2006. It's time to give the (D)'s a chance.

Oh no question. I don't think anyone is disputing that Bush's presidency will go down as one of the most difficult to clean up after and follow. The discussion to which you responded started with me saying that I am rather skeptical of those who follow Obama - largely an unknown at this point - in cult-like fashion. Someone responded by bringing up McCain and the religious right... for some reason. My end point on the matter was that I don't care about McCain and the religious right at this point in time because they're not the ones who will be at the helm for the next 4 years. They're not "in play", so to speak.

If they were, we'd be having an entirely different discussion.

Look at the Right go.

"He's 50% black"
"He's not interracial"
"He's really white"

You all look very foolish. There is a reason why none of your attacks on Obama have worked, I'll let you figure out why.

They're doing it to ruffle your feathers. Wise up.