You Can Soon Buy Google Glass...Would You?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
I think the tech is really cool and the potential applications for the Medical/Psychology/Industrial fields are very exciting.

However, I will never buy one until they stop being cool to own for guys like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5S-invaJAk

I do not in any way want to be associated with hippie pseudo-intellectuals or any other class of people that wear it for egotistical reasons...

Last edited:

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
googleglass.jpg

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Nice to not have to pull out your smartphone and see everything thru Google Glass. Don't need a dashcam in your car. Don't need to pull out your smartphone to take a pic. Don't get the hate. Same people hated the iPhone, saying it was useless.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Exactly, ABSOLUTELY!

But the phenomenon is manifesting all over! Including in increasingly prohibitively expensive NYC where I live.

While gentrification (and greed) were always realities, again, the disparity in wealth between 1% of the population and ALL THE REST OF US is NOW GREATER than it was in the Great Depression!!!!

The middle class has always been the foundation of America'S HEALTH....and ALSO its TAX BASE! Not the Fortune 500, not the top 2%....THE MIDDLE CLASS.....and, the option for have nots to work hard over time to earn entry into the middle class AND become a part of the greatness AND THE TAX BASE.

So why have a pop a GG? It costs $1500 for a pre release development version. Its not cheap but it's certainly no where near a symbol of the wealth disparity.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Nice to not have to pull out your smartphone and see everything thru Google Glass. Don't need a dashcam in your car. Don't need to pull out your smartphone to take a pic. Don't get the hate. Same people hated the iPhone, saying it was useless.
I thought the iPhone was revolutionary.

Google Glass seems about as useful as the Samsung Galaxy Gear... which is to say it's pointless.

I wouldn't pay $100 for it, but I'd take it if it were given to me free.

But, it's not stupid in its potential medical applications; in fact, it could be miraculous:

Maybe Glass version 6 won't be pointless, but the current iteration is.
http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...potential-medical-applications-of-google.aspx
Something functional as a medical educational tool is not something that's necessarily useful as a consumer product. Hell, you may as well be promoting a colonoscopy simulator as the next best thing in consumer home entertainment.

1405120762_chapter_11_f16.jpg

Last edited:

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I thought the iPhone was revolutionary.

Google Glass seems about as useful as the Samsung Galaxy Gear... which is to say it's pointless.

I wouldn't pay $100 for it, but I'd take it if it were given to me free.

Something functional as a medical educational tool is not something that's necessarily useful as a consumer product. Hell, you may as well be promoting a colonoscopy simulator as the next best thing in consumer home entertainment.

1405120762_chapter_11_f16.jpg

When the iphone came out, everyone here said it was useless. No keyboard and no need in the consumer space. BB was where it was at and only necessary in the business environment. I've already posted numerous reasons to have one. Pretty funny, people thought tablets were useless too.

For $100, I would have a GoPro, Dashcam, view texts/emails without pulling out my phone. Would be great for navigation too. Yep, useless. Eventually, they'll be able to build phone/communication capabilities into one.

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
When the iphone came out, everyone here said it was useless. No keyboard and no need in the consumer space. BB was where it was at and only necessary in the business environment.
That is incorrect. A lot of people thought the iPhone was useless, but many people (including myself) thought it was totally awesome, a revolution in the mobile phone industry. I loved the interface, which I got to test via friends who bought it. However, I didn't buy for two reasons: They weren't available in Canada, so the only way to get one was to get an American one and jailbreak it, and I didn't want a 2G model anyway. I bought the 3G though as soon as it came out in Canada, one year later. (Yes, my friends actually drove down to the US to buy the 2G there, and plus one of them was an engineer so he had no fear of jailbreaking, which was of course a new thing at the time.)

Mind you, I was a phone geek at the time and felt that Sony, who previously had been a mobile phone design leader, had dropped the ball, and I had always despised BlackBerries (and still do).

I've already posted numerous reasons to have one.
None compelling so far in its current iteration. Or at least none that compensate for its numerous drawbacks.

Pretty funny, people thought tablets were useless too.
I will admit I underestimated the demand for iPads. I felt the iPad would sell well, but not as well as it did. I also felt that the iPad would not be a great device as the only computing device in a home for say grandma, until maybe 2013. That may or may not have been true, but perhaps the iPad alone was sufficient for some grandmas earlier than 2013, partially because of the relatively quick demise of Flash.

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I think the tech is really cool and the potential applications for the Medical/Psychology/Industrial fields are very exciting.

However, I will never buy one until they stop being cool to own for guys like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5S-invaJAk

I do not in any way want to be associated with hippie pseudo-intellectuals or any other class of people that wear it for egotistical reasons...

I ditto every part of the above!():)

When I came home, I heard on the radio they sold out in a coupla hours.
Howwwwww........predictable.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I will admit I underestimated the demand for iPads. I felt the iPad would sell well, but not as well as it did. I also felt that the iPad would not be a great device as the only computing device in a home for say grandma, until maybe 2013. That may or may not have been true, but perhaps the iPad alone was sufficient for some grandmas earlier than 2013, partially because of the relatively quick demise of Flash.

I did as well. Underestimate that! But I delved inside, and now get I underestimated cause I OVERestimated the tech smarts of the average human. I mean it. For me, it was clear from jump nobody can get any serious work done on a tablet. Nothing of the sort I use my computers for.

We need our phones (I never thought the iphone was useless, I thought it was amazing).....and, I would never wanna be without my Nook ebook reader, but that is an entirely dedicated device.

Last edited:

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Glass is maligned because it's stupid.
Socially stupid, maybe. But only for now, and AR will nonetheless touch every aspect of our lives.

The only - huge - problem is, of course, the Big Brother thing. The NSA stuff set Glass back at least five years... I bet it would already have been released as a consumer device otherwise.

stlc8tr

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2011

If something is useful or worthwhile to me, I don't care what other people think.

I see many potential use cases for Glass but the first gen isn't powerful enough. Once it's higher resolution and has longer battery life, I think facial recognition and augmented reality will be killer apps.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I'd try contacts. I hate wearing glasses.

Interesting. I am near sighted. Very. It's genetic. So, to see anything not right in front of my eyes clearly, I need corrective lenses. But I almost never choose to wear my contacts! I find them an expensive pain to maintain...and, I've tried lots of kinds. And, I still don like putting things in my eyes.

I mainly (not always) choose my little Ralph Lauren glasses. They were a gift. This is one example of how an expensive item really is engineered better than less expensive.

I would never have Lasix surgery. Tho I know some who say having it was life-transforming.

And know, even if you wear the contacts, you will still need the glass re Google Glass.

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
There's so much wrong with that video. If that's the type of people running around SF sporting Glass I take back everything I said earlier.

And what "type of people" might that be in your judgement? Educated, erudite professional people whose work centers on saving the planet?

Do you actually think we are NOT in the midst of a serious, burgeoning.....HUMAN PERPETUATED ecological crisis?

But don mean I changed my mind about Google Glass in its current incarnation....or, in any incarnation for the masses.

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
So why have a pop a GG? It costs $1500 for a pre release development version. Its not cheap but it's certainly no where near a symbol of the wealth disparity.

Sorry, I think it is. A symbol of just that. Especially, at this point in time.

More the blind consumer yearnings of herd animals and their slavish values.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I am also creeped out, given the perfection of our engineering re eye musculature and depth perception via our binocular capacity.....that this thing makes use of only one eye.

Anyone think that doesn't have consequences over time? Including to actual BRAIN wiring?

I would like to know what top ophthalmologists and neurologists have to say about this.

And, when pulling our phones out becomes a BURDEN.....I think we should just cash it in. Talk about being FUBARed and atrophied.

Talk about FINIS re Eyes by Marcel Proust.

And for me, the increased isolation remains a huge factor, and some of that is physiological, leading to psychological and emotional. Honing and maintaining peripheral awareness is both a cognitive and intuitive phenomenon and one of our greatest gifts. And we, as a species, can't brag about our ability to determine the reality of things re scent or hearing compared with other species. Nor do we have special sensor tongues to locate things like many reptiles do. (Yes....including Miley Cyrus.:cool:)

Jeeze....have some respect and humility, even AWE... re what mother nature has evolved over millenia! There is technology which augments all that, and technology which COMPROMISES IT.

How vital it is to determine the difference!!!!

Last edited:

rockmyroad

Apr 17, 2014
They charge an outrageous amount of money for people to taste the future. There's bound to become a market in smart glasses once the technology is stable. I say just wait a few more years.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Sorry, I think it is. A symbol of just that. Especially, at this point in time.

More the blind consumer yearnings of herd animals and their slavish values.

No.

It's more about people wanting to get in first in another possible app bonanza. A lot of people made a lot of money from writing apps for smartphones that a bunch of other people went "WTF! People can make good money from that!"

But you feel free to follow your own herd and write off something just because you don't like it.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
But you feel free to follow your own herd and write off something just because you don't like it.

I neither write something off nor become a fan of it arbitrarily or capriciously. EVAH. Witness my posts.

By most accounts, I am the least herd animal human anyone knows. And, I take that as an important compliment.

I also decry smart cars. Meaning now, most cars. Nobody can convince me all that automation doesn't have the same negative impact on our inherent engineering and maintaining it/keeping it healthy properly (use it or loose it) that Google Glass for the masses does.

It's more about people wanting to get in first in another possible app bonanza. A lot of people made a lot of money from writing apps for smartphones that a bunch of other people went "WTF! People can make good money from that!"

So, your premise is, if someone can make money from something (i.e. exploiting some hardware device), that means it's a worthy endeavor. Forget, both worthy and with NO DOWNSIDES.

Talk about a wicked scary dearth of discernment. Something having a bath and a brew will prolly not migitate.

Last edited: