You Can Soon Buy Google Glass...Would You?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Socially stupid, maybe. But only for now, and AR will nonetheless touch every aspect of our lives.

And how, precisely do you see it doing that?

Reality....for anyone whole, is humbling and breathtaking, including in the ongoing challenges it brings. No need to alter or enhance. For me, the need to alter----including being moved to spend hours and hours lost in cyber anything, in lieu of actual, human interaction via our astonishing engineering and, at the expense of what IS in our life journeys.... speaks cowardice and poverty and related deficiencies.

Doing drugs would be a whole lot cheaper.....and, is basically the same thing.

I recommend you see the genius movie HER.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/her/

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I get the impression that even in this thread the overall consensus is "Yeah Glass is currently poorly implemented but the idea is interesting".

Not a ringing endorsement.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
And how, precisely do you see it doing that?

Reality....for anyone whole, is humbling and breathtaking, including in the ongoing challenges it brings. No need to alter or enhance. For me, the need to alter----including being moved to spend hours and hours lost in cyber anything, in lieu of actual, human interaction via our astonishing engineering and, at the expense of what IS in our life journeys.... speaks cowardice and poverty and related deficiencies.

Doing drugs would be a whole lot cheaper.....and, is basically the same thing.

I recommend you see the genius movie HER.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/her/

For someone I agree with on the basic premise of this thread, you sure come up with a lot of arguments I disagree with. When I consider augmented reality, all I see is convenience and utility. I imagine walking in a new city while receiving information about all the things I'm looking at and never getting lost. I imagine building a cabinet in my hypothetical woodshop and never having to measure a single thing by hand. I imagine looking for my keys and, instead of my eyes slipping past them without noticing they are lying underneath the table in peripheral vision, having my device recognize their shape and point them out to me. These are things that do not take the place of human interaction. They just make some aspects of life easier. It's not some kind of virtual reality drug trip fantasy that everyone is looking to disappear inside of. If you think it is, you're totally missing the point.

A lot of that stuff isn't possible yet. When it is, look for it to revolutionize life as we know it.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I get the impression that even in this thread the overall consensus is "Yeah Glass is currently poorly implemented but the idea is interesting".

Not a ringing endorsement.

It's more like "Yeah Glass is currently poorly implemented but the idea is interesting. At current $1,500, I have no interest but I could be interested at $200 to play around with."

It's all about the price. It'll get there eventually.

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
I agree with most of you - it's all about the price.

I like cycling and I like skiing and I'm a runner too. I could definitely see the value in some sort of heads up display of stats while I'm doing these activities - a speedometer would be pretty cool for both but even something that says "someone is calling you" would be useful because it's hard to hear a cell phone ringing while plunging down a mountain on a bicycle or on skiis. In addition, being able to record video while I'm doing this would be pretty cool.

So I can see the use for Glass, but it's maybe worth $200-300 to me... and not $1500.

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
It's more like "Yeah Glass is currently poorly implemented but the idea is interesting. At current $1,500, I have no interest but I could be interested at $200 to play around with."

It's all about the price. It'll get there eventually.

Why would it only cost $200? A decent pair of sunglasses/prescription glasses would cost you that much or even more.

I'd pay up to $1,000 for a pair that works well.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
For someone I agree with on the basic premise of this thread, you sure come up with a lot of arguments I disagree with. When I consider augmented reality, all I see is convenience and utility. I imagine walking in a new city while receiving information about all the things I'm looking at and never getting lost. I imagine building a cabinet in my hypothetical woodshop and never having to measure a single thing by hand. I imagine looking for my keys and, instead of my eyes slipping past them without noticing they are lying underneath the table in peripheral vision, having my device recognize their shape and point them out to me. These are things that do not take the place of human interaction. They just make some aspects of life easier. It's not some kind of virtual reality drug trip fantasy that everyone is looking to disappear inside of. If you think it is, you're totally missing the point.

Your premise is, our unfathomable sometimes by conventional means, but in no way inaccessible ENGINEERING AS HUMANS......CAN EVER BE TRUMPED BY ANY SUCH DEVICE.

Our factory loaded engineering to perceive, to assess, to imagine, to invent.....is INFINITE.---to see things with eyes by Marcel Proust.....is iNFINITE.

No man made device will ever come close. and AGAIN we maintain and potentiate our inherent goodies....only by USING THEM.

I will now offer one personal example and then, I am finished with examples: I have observed, over time, every phone number I have ever used, mostly is stored in my BRAIN. it is only many of those I put in my phones long ago.....I no longer remember.

I too work with wood...I've designed and built cabinetry....I sent the file with original plans, isometric drawings and images of finished items to a mod here, in fact. He got overly impressed. I learned from my dad, to first judge by eye.....and then confirm by measuring.

Same deal (again) re increasingly computerized "smart' cars.....so much of driving is honing visceral awareness....very sharp, very subtle. You come to depend on computers to do that, you ATROPHY.

Main reason I will never be a gamer....I have minus 14 interest in "interacting' with virtual beings. Make no mistake, becoming addicted to that also erodes. As does the illusion humans are really forging meaningful connections on Instagram, Fakebook, etc. Tho, social media clearly has upsides geo-politically.

I am thrilled and humbled by our potential as living beings....and each of us is unique on top of that.

You ain't never gonna see an offering made via Photoshop sell for 60M in a fine arts auction at Christie's.

Finally, in most things, I have no interest in making life EASIER. Richer, U bet, easier, not so much. I find every minute exciting, challenging and thrilling. The more fully present one is this moment.....with full access to all our goodies, and the capacity to connect fully to all other living beings..... the more thrilling and filled with wonder life is.

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Why would it only cost $200? A decent pair of sunglasses/prescription glasses would cost you that much or even more.

Yes, my little Ralph Laurens, which were a gift, I am sure, cost a ton. I celebrate their engineering, the tiny, spring loaded ear pieces...all the time. They correct my near sightedness, which is a genetic DEFICIENCY in need of FIXING. I submit, with Google Glass in other than future medical applications, there are no deficiencies to correct.

We are not broken, and in this, do not need fixing.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
We are not broken, and in this, do not need fixing.

I'm not really following your reasoning here.
Does the same apply to a smartphone? Or a PC? Or pretty much any other consumer electronics?

It's not supposed to fix you, its just another way to consume information.

Whether you think it's right for you is a different issue. I really don't understand the strong feelings that this device engenders. It not my sort of thing either but I can certainly see a use for it, and I can also understand exactly why a lot of developers want to get in on the ground floor and also why Google wants decent developer support before its released.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I really don't understand the strong feelings that this device engenders

I've delineated all of it, also offering my usual examples, far beyond what I expected to have to offer.

The foundation works back to not honoring, connecting to, celebrating, growing... OUR INFINITE CAPACITIES RE OUR OWN ENGINEERING. Leading to the conclusion they are somehow WANTING.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I've delineated all of it, also offering my usual examples, far beyond what I expected to have to offer.

The foundation works back to not honoring, connecting to, celebrating, growing... OUR INFINITE CAPACITIES RE OUR OWN ENGINEERING. Leading to the conclusion they are someone WANTING.

You'll have to forgive me, I have the lurgy and a temperature of 39.6c right now so I'm possibly not getting everything out of your posts that I should.

Your main thrust seems to be an anti gadget one which is rather strange given the focus of this particular subforum.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
You'll have to forgive me, I have the lurgy and a temperature of 39.6c right now so I'm possibly not getting everything out of your posts that I should.

Thanks for this above. I send U a hug. Not that I know wut the lurgy is (pretty sure it's not a new Olympic sport but who knows??:sneaky:), but I hope U recover fast.

When you do, pls re read my posts. If, that is, you are moved to more fully harvest their content.

I am neither for nor against gadgets. I am discerning and come to things Real Deal by always chasing data, doing things and working to see things in perspective...never cavalierly.

Anyone is free to disagree with my conclusions, of course....but, I promise you, the journey---the route to what I end up with--- is not deficient.

Feel bettah!

Last edited:

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Would I? No, not yet. Too many glasshole hating Luddites out there to contend with. One day...

Frankie

Mar 11, 2001
I will NEVER wear Google Glasses.

1) I don't need a computer in front of my eye socket
2) I don't need a computer in front of my eye socket that records everything and sends it to a server farm that is constantly monitored.

Sorry, I'll pass..... FOREVER.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I will NEVER wear Google Glasses.

1) I don't need a computer in front of my eye socket
2) I don't need a computer in front of my eye socket that records everything and sends it to a server farm that is constantly monitored.

Sorry, I'll pass..... FOREVER.

GO, FRANKIE! :cool:

Frankie don wan cookies in his brain.:D

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Truly? You worry about what strangers think? Unlike the luminous autonomy of your Bengal tiger.

Not what they think, how they act. Read up on the verbal (and non-verbal) assaults wearers are experiencing. Who needs that crap? Even a tiger doesn't go looking for hassles :)

I do look forward to wearable computing, but so far, nothing on the market merits my $$.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Not what they think, how they act. Read up on the verbal (and non-verbal) assaults wearers are experiencing. Who needs that crap? Even a tiger doesn't go looking for hassles

I did get this.

But, common....your gorgeous, splendid tiger could not care less, cept for the mother tigers with cubs, cause she knows bad things can happen to her cubs.

Course, yr tiger is waaaaay too plugged in to ever wear Google Glass.:sneaky:():)

Tristor

Jul 25, 2007
I was one of the 2nd group of people invited to get Google Glass and I turned it down. While I find the technology very exciting and at some point I want something similar, I have three things I find significantly limiting with Glass:

1) I wear glasses for my vision and Glass isn't usable with someone with as poor of vision as I have (they only recommend prescriptions +/-4, Mine is -12.5)

2) It's blatantly obvious you're wearing Google Glass, which means that you can be targeted either for robbery or stigmatized very easily. Something less obvious/more concealed would be better, or waiting until society is more accepting.

3) It's limited to working only with Android phones (although I think they are supposed to be supporting iPhones before it goes "public"). Due to requirements of my employer I'm now using an iPhone, although I personally prefer Android.

So as much as I'd like to get a pair, and as much as the price is not a concern for me, it unfortunately does not fit within my lifestyle and physiological requirements. If there's ever a point in time where a similar device is released that does, I'll be at the front of the line. It's been a fantasy of mine for years to get some sort of brain <-> computer interface so I can have the wealth of information online literally a thought away. This isn't that, but it's a nice bold step towards it.

A lot of the guys at work have Glass, and I find it very interesting how they've already innovative ways to integrate it into their daily workflow, especially how it's used in meetings. It's just not there for me yet. :(

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'm thinking about picking up a pair of Google Glasses on eBay; they can be had for around the $400 mark.

Has anyone here used them to any degree? I'm thinkin they'd be neat to mess around with; I'm kind of a nerd and like gadgets (plus I'm a developer so there's development potential with it too).

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I think it's dead. :D;)
Haha, yeah, I kinda gleaned that, but like I said I'm kind of a dork and like gadgets. And I'm dumb and have money to spend. If they're complete shit I'd rather not waste any money, but if they do actually work like they're supposed to and aren't completely bad then I think I wanna pick a pair up.