Yay Hellgate London beta!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Anyone know when the beta servers are coming back up? I had a dream about this game last night and I want to get back in and try it a little more so I know whether to pre-order or not.

KT

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
by Wednesday :p

:D

the game is out 12:01 am Thurs ... or is it 12:01 Wed? ... Halloween, i believe

The live servers will be up early next week in preparation for launch. Of course, when that happens the website and forums will once again be operable. Remember, if you're a beta player, you'll be able to login then and reserve your character names.

new info:

http://www.hellgatelondon.com/...d/subscription-details

SUBSCRIPTION DETAILS
Ongoing Content

We?re always making TONS of new content for our subscribers that extends and changes the way Hellgate: London can be played.

This includes:

New Levels to Explore
New Monsters
New Weapons
New Skills and Spells
New Quests and Storyline
New Character Classes

Themed Events and Items

These are events, areas, monsters, quests, pets and rewards that are available for limited periods of time throughout the year. Some are recurring while others may only happen once, so keep a sharp watch for announcements on upcoming events!

Hardcore Mode

Characters have one life, and ONLY one life, to give for the cause. There is no resurrecting your downed hero in Hardcore mode, so different tactics, skills and items rule the day. For the gamer that wants the ultimate test, try playing an Elite Hardcore character!

Guild Creation and Management

Buy purchasing a Guild Herald, a character can form a new guild. Characters can only be part of one guild at a time and should a Guild leader decide to abandon their post, they can pass leadership of the Guild to another subscribing guild member.

Achievement Rewards

You?re earning big points for completing long-term goals and insane tasks. Along with the notoriety and sense of accomplishment, there are also rewards to spend those points on!

PvP Modes and Rewards

New ways to fight against other players, both alone and in teams. Your reputation in this arena of combat will also net you special commendations and rewards!

Larger Stash

Each character gets an extra 6x8 section in their storage locker, making the hording of all sorts of goodies that much easier. Pack rats rejoice!

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm still torn on the whole subscription thing. I am thinking I will just buy the game and play it normally and if I am wanting for content down the road I will subscribe; assuming I am not tired of the game by then. :)

I don't really see the need for a subscription at launch.

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
I'm still torn on the whole subscription thing. I am thinking I will just buy the game and play it normally and if I am wanting for content down the road I will subscribe; assuming I am not tired of the game by then. :)

KT

Guild Creation and Management and larger stash are subscription only benefits? thats pretty dumb. that stuff should be free.

can you join a guild even if you aren't a subscriber?

everyone says the demo is horrible but the actual game (in beta) is great. Right now all I can base it on is the demo though, and it does suck ass. if they want me to buy this game they better offer free trials or a better demo.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex

KT

Guild Creation and Management and larger stash are subscription only benefits? thats pretty dumb. that stuff should be free.

can you join a guild even if you aren't a subscriber?

everyone says the demo is horrible but the actual game (in beta) is great. Right now all I can base it on is the demo though, and it does suck ass. if they want me to buy this game they better offer free trials or a better demo.

Never tried the demo, but I did enjoy the beta, though some of the bugs drove me nuts. Apparently even the beta build is way behind the build we will get on release though. Too bad I did not know you were interested earlier, I would have given you my European beta key so you could at least have tried it.

Anyway, I have a pretty good feeling I will buy this. However, for me the only reason to subscribe would be for more content. As for the other stuff:

1. A guild seems so unneccessary in this game, since you can do everything solo if need be. All of the instances scale to how many members you have in your party.

2. Hardcore mode just seems pointless to me. Why would I want to spend all of this time creating a character just to have him completely die off? :confused: I guess I'm just not hardcore enough.

3. Larger stash would be useful, but the way you can break stuff down and modify weapons in this game, I'm not sure it would be that important.

4. Not a PvP guy, so don't care about that.

5. I never really get into themed events and stuff like that.

Hmm, by laying it out like this I think I just convinced myself not to subscribe! :D

KT

PresidentThomasJefferson

Aug 1, 2007
btw, u can get it for $39 at Circuit City or Frys http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2112219&enterthread=y - CircuitCity also having a $39 sale on QuakeWars too (greatgame too!)

Ya, the demo was HORRIBLE (missing the hi-res textures in retail/beta, only a few monsters in the beta instead of hordes in deeper levels, only 3 simple dungeons instead of the massive interconnected levels later on in beta/retail, only a few weapons/items/mobs in the demo instead of the millions in the beta/retail.. no mage classes in the demo (mages are the most strategic, with variety of different spells, range).. it totally plays different depending on your class (evokers, engineers, summoners are the most interesting.. hunters for FPS-Halo shooter fans.. & multiplayer wasn't in beta.. blademaster was too simplistic for me but some may like it.. anyways, the Counterstrike/Halo-ish gameplay of shooting & dodging hordes of monsters (and their fireballs) & random elite,rare,legendary,etc spawns of mobs during each level (along with their loot drops) makes boss encounters possible in every dungeon

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Any word on when the servers are coming back up? I'm itching to start playing this again. :D

The forums are down and I can't find anything anywhere else. :confused:

KT

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Keith - Ive tried servers intermittently, im dying to get back on.

I must wait until Friday, maybe even Saturday to play this.... I cannot wait.

DX10 and my new soundcard will be in for a trick or treat!

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
My local stores (Vancouver, BC) say the game is out November 1st, in the US I believe it is tomorrow. However, I thought we would be able to create a character today to play before the game goes live tomorrow. :(

KT

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
My local stores (Vancouver, BC) say the game is out November 1st, in the US I believe it is tomorrow. However, I thought we would be able to create a character today to play before the game goes live tomorrow. :(

KT

Friday for the UK and I cant even get the Collectors Edition here.

I signed up the the US beta on the US server and gave away my EU invite so the Pre-Play means nothing to me other than senseless mutilation.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
ARGGGG, it ships Nov 1st?

And i won't have access to my gaming computer for the next 3/4 months!!!!

/me beats head on keyboard.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
I love this game, it is Diablo 3. It is everything diablo was and nothing more, hands down the best hack and slash dungeon rpg ever. dont make the mistake of comparing this to other mmos.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Mine should be arriving at my door step tomorrow afternoon. :) I'm certainly excited!!

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
the beta is supposed to reopen ... at 1:30 PST

c-ya!

That was an hour ago! Can anyone confirm? I'm still at work for another hour. :(

KT

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

c-ya!

That was an hour ago! Can anyone confirm? I'm still at work for another hour. :(

KT

Server down.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Elcs

c-ya!

KT

Server down.

Bah! Thanks for checking though.

I guess I'll just stop by EBGames on the way home and pre-order the stupid game. If I am this excited to play the thing, I suppose it warrants pre-ordering.

KT

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
actually it was PDT ... which means they are even an hour later :p
--but no new updates on their site

check it out for yourself: http://www.hellgatelondon.com/underground
Hey everyone. Sorry for the short notice, but in the next 15 minutes or so at 1:30PM PDT, you'll be able to hop into the game and start creating characters. At 5:00PM PDT, the game will open up to everyone else. This goes for both the US and EU servers. Get to it!

More updates to follow...

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
actually it was PDT ... which means they are even an hour later :p
--but no new updates on their site

check it out for yourself: http://www.hellgatelondon.com/underground
Hey everyone. Sorry for the short notice, but in the next 15 minutes or so at 1:30PM PDT, you'll be able to hop into the game and start creating characters. At 5:00PM PDT, the game will open up to everyone else. This goes for both the US and EU servers. Get to it!

More updates to follow...

Strange. So the servers go live for everyone tonight? It's only the 30th. I'm so :confused:

Either way I guess I will just pre-order after work, then try the servers once I get home.

KT

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
So if I go and pick up the $10 preorder from CC or Frys, I can jump on the servers?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i can send you a beta key ... lots of us have duplicates ... it is up tomorrow and at CC for $39

and i am stupid enough to play the *other* blade & shield tank - MaxIV is Level 4 and i crashed when i went back to Holborn:p
-it's just something about slicing and dicing demons
:evil:

maybe i can finish it by tomorrow
rose.gif

Oh yeah, DX10 looks and runs good

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
i can send you a beta key ... lots of us have duplicates ... it is up tomorrow and at CC for $39

and i am stupid enough to play the *other* blade & shield tank - MaxIV is Level 4 and i crashed when i went back to Holborn:p
-it's just something about slicing and dicing demons
:evil:

maybe i can finish it by tomorrow
rose.gif

Oh yeah, DX10 looks and runs good

I still can't DX10 to run.

Just created a Guardian myself...

How do I get to first-person view again? I can't seem to figure it out now and the game is just not the same for me in third-person. :confused:

KT