Yay Hellgate London beta!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
This game sucks

You should write reviews for a living, that was great! :thumbsup:

KT

It took me a couple hours, but I tried to write a piece that was in-depth, and hands-on. :)

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
There must be a problem on my end, because the game looks like absolute crap. Textures are blurred and choppy, lighting effects are minimal, and characters look blocky.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
This game sucks

You should write reviews for a living, that was great! :thumbsup:

KT

It took me a couple hours, but I tried to write a piece that was in-depth, and hands-on. :)

Well all your hard work paid off. :)

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
There must be a problem on my end, because the game looks like absolute crap. Textures are blurred and choppy, lighting effects are minimal, and characters look blocky.

I actually find the graphics to be lacking somewhat. In some ways it really feels like Deus Ex to me, which is great from a story and gameplay perspective, but not from a graphics perspective.

KT

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
I got a beta invite without even signing up (that I can remember at least). They dropped the ball big time.

Come on Blizzard, announce Diablo 3!

Ephemeral

Dec 4, 2004
The people complaining about the graphics must not be playing the same game that I am.

On DX10 with everything maxed, the game looks incredible, and on DX9 the game still looks pretty good, especially when you're swarmed with enemies, the ground is burning/shocking/phasing, and particles are flying all over the place.

I also haven't had any problems running DX10, just using 163's and launching from the DX10 executable. I did experience unstable performance using the actual launcher exe however, which is odd because there should not be any difference. It might be worth a try if you're having trouble running in DX10.

I've been in the beta for a while now, and as far as the game play is concerned, I'm still not bored. Even having capped/deleted/re-capped a bunch of toons, and acquiring the near-perfect (like it can ever be perfect :)) gear load-out, I still find something to keep me entertained.

I love the modding, upgrading, and crafting features (I do feel the mechanics of using these features needs some work though), I love that even if I can't use something or it wouldn't be desirable to anyone else, I can just break it down and re-use the components on something I will keep. There are plenty of stats and tons of ways to tailor your character to how you want to play.

The game is fairly easy right now, but it gets better in a group, especially 4 or 5 people, the health and spawns ramp way up and there is just a ton of chaos. I'm not sure if this will change for the solo players who don't opt for the subscription (elite & hardcore modes), but from what I have heard, nightmare is just plain brutal...so look at normal as prep time ;).

The state of the game currently, at least judging by the beta client we're using, is definitely unfinished. It still needs a lot of work, but regardless of that fact, it will be releasing on the 31st. Many of us don't like this, and I'm sure the devs really don't like it, but that's just the way it is. I'm confident that if the guys at Flagship are able to continue supporting this game, that the issues that are/will be present will be resolved, and the game will only continue to improve. They have been listening to the fans, and changes have been made according to our requests, and once they actually have time to start making more of the changes in the name of fun, the game will really start to shine.

Wolfstan

Oct 8, 2005
As it has been said a billion times, the beta is behind the gold version. The release will be much more polished.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Well i reached the End of the Beta :brokenheart:
i guess i played probably more than 1/2 of the full SP campaign .. well you know how long i played [since i started Sunday afternoon with 12 hours total for sleep and a few hours for chores; plenty of distractions and a never-ending headache ... i dunno, maybe 30 hours or so of fun; i needed way less pain meds then usual - less then for Ep2 which i set down for HGL :)

--for me SP was a blast over the last 2 days! i even exploited an endless respawning bug at the Forbidden Zone [for endless goodies].
--i had very very few bugs and now even the server errors come way less then hourly and the need for Task Manager to end HGL is over.

i am NOT one of the lucky few that get invited to play the rest of it :(
i haven't tried DX10 yet - playing Vista/DX9c with great performance with everything in-game maxed out- but i only have a 2900xt and am hoping for the promised optimizations in the final release.
[which means i will buy it ... and go thru the last 25+ hours over again - but not as a Blade master [level 20]

i think i will try playing MP with the Party ... i haven't seen *any* of you guys around :p

Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
looks as good as any other modern game using DX9c

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I just received another Beta invite; what the heck is that all about? :confused:

KT

Ephemeral

Dec 4, 2004
If you signed up normally (IE: without the preorder key) you should be getting an invite for each email address you have used now.

I got a couple extras that I sent to friends.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Ephemeral
If you signed up normally (IE: without the preorder key) you should be getting an invite for each email address you have used now.

I got a couple extras that I sent to friends.

I only ever signed up once (not pre-order, just for Beta) with one e-mail address, hence the :confused: .

KT

HopJokey

Platinum Member
May 6, 2005
FYI, here is what the head Community Manager over at the HGL website just posted:

Originally posted by: Kaiser from Hellgatelondon.com
Howdy folks. Just want to give you all a heads-up with a few Beta updates. First, the US Beta will be ending this Friday at 10:00AM PST. This will include a full character wipe. Yeah, I know some of you didn't get to play as long as others, but the final game will be out in the US just a few days later.

That said, some time just before launch (don't have a specific time/date yet), we'll actually be opening the Beta server back up for about a week. "This makes no sense, Kaiser!" Well, maybe not at first, but not everyone will be able to get the game on launch day for various reasons. This way, if you're in the Beta and are still waiting for your game to arrive, you'll still be able to play Hellgate. Also, the characters you create during this time will transfer over into your retail account. Once this happens, any caps/restrictions will be lifted. Yay! The characters will still have the Beta caps on them (such as level caps and such), but you can at least get started with your characters.

Hmm, what else. Oh yeah. You might see a new server environment pop up. This is mostly for testing the Patch 0 features internally, though some of you might be able to see it. There's no guarantee you'll see it, but if you do, at least you'll know what's going on. Also, this is important: if you do see it and get access to it, any characters used on this server will be duplicates, so any changes that occur to your character will not be reflected on the "normal" servers, and vice versa.

Lastly, we'll be starting a European Beta sometime soon. This will be short and to the point, mainly as a last check on our servers. We'll be sending out invites to a select group of Europeans. If this includes you, please, try it out. Though the game will be the same as the current US Beta, one, we need you all to help us ensure the Euro servers are perfect, and two, you can get your European account name before everyone else. Worth it, right? ^_^

Thanks everyone!

So it looks like the beta will end Friday with a full character wipe, but will be back up after the game is released with the ability to transfer characters. This is to allow folks to play while there copy of the game is being shipped.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
OK, the demo sucks but I still have hopes for the game.

The demo is just plain boring and feels very unfinished. There is no formal end to it and the quests just sort of die off. The quests are pretty sucky too.

Why I think there is still hope:

1. For demo purposes it's difficult to throw someone into a later game stage. We are basically stuck with level 1-5 characters so you can learn things. I'm not sure this is indicative of the final product. One of the big features of this game is replayability. There is going to be a very deep item tree and we're not seeing any of it.

2. I still see some diablo in this game. The same logic applies: the "fun" is killing stuff so you are given lots of stuff to kill and they are challenging as a whole, not as individuals. There is still that tactic of "pull small groups back to you" so you don't get overwhelmed. I'm looking forward to seeing some masses of monsters in the final game. The unlimited ammo of the marksman indicates this will be so...it's the same thing you had with the Amazon in Diablo 2.

I'm pre-ordered for the full game so I'll let you know how it goes. This demo does suck tho. Bad.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
It's not so much that the graphics suck as it is I don't like the art direction. I didn't care for the demo and after 30 minutes was happy to write this one off.

HopJokey

Platinum Member
May 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Smilin
OK, the demo sucks but I still have hopes for the game.

The demo is just plain boring and feels very unfinished. There is no formal end to it and the quests just sort of die off. The quests are pretty sucky too.

Why I think there is still hope:

1. For demo purposes it's difficult to throw someone into a later game stage. We are basically stuck with level 1-5 characters so you can learn things. I'm not sure this is indicative of the final product. One of the big features of this game is replayability. There is going to be a very deep item tree and we're not seeing any of it.

2. I still see some diablo in this game. The same logic applies: the "fun" is killing stuff so you are given lots of stuff to kill and they are challenging as a whole, not as individuals. There is still that tactic of "pull small groups back to you" so you don't get overwhelmed. I'm looking forward to seeing some masses of monsters in the final game. The unlimited ammo of the marksman indicates this will be so...it's the same thing you had with the Amazon in Diablo 2.

I'm pre-ordered for the full game so I'll let you know how it goes. This demo does suck tho. Bad.

In Diablo 2, using bows/xbows/javelins was not unlimited. You had to carry arrows/bolts/javs/etc.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
At level 11 in the beta, I pre-ordered this morning.

This game is one of very few worthy to be pre-ordered.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Elcs
At level 11 in the beta, I pre-ordered this morning.

This game is one of very few worthy to be pre-ordered.

i am pretty undecided not wanting to pay full price; i went back to earlier stations and found a few SQs i missed so i can probably go from Level 20 > 22 [unless they send me a elite invite; doubtful, i didn't find them any 'good' bugs] [EDIT: Update ... i guess they did a Char wipe today and changed a LOT of the skill balance so skills are generally more powerful]
:confused:

i think i will start a new - very different - character on Friday ... if i like the way it is going then - if i see improvements and it is more polished - i will probably buy it and transfer my Char.
--there is a LOT of competition for my gaming $$$ and i am pretty broke since i can't return to work after my accident yet. :p

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Just got an invite to the European Beta test...weird, considering it ends on the same day as the US one.

KT

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
--there is a LOT of competition for my gaming $$$ and i am pretty broke since i can't return to work after my accident yet. :p

This year is positively overburdened with releases right now and they are all cannibalizing sales from each other. The last 6 months have had nothing but crap and now we have 20 +/- titles that have either just been released or on the near horizon that I want.

This is precisely why this game should be postponed for another 6 months so it can be truly great on release.

But I digress. :brokenheart:

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
The quests felt really lame...MMO'ish. I don't play SP for anything that feels MMO...

Kill 10 donkeys
Find the item
Kill 14 donkeys

it bored me in about an hour

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Scouzer
The quests felt really lame...MMO'ish. I don't play SP for anything that feels MMO...

Kill 10 donkeys
Find the item
Kill 14 donkeys

it bored me in about an hour

Yes, but they are donkeys from hell!!

KT

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: HopJokey
In Diablo 2, using bows/xbows/javelins was not unlimited. You had to carry arrows/bolts/javs/etc.

Aye, but you never had to worry about it. It wasn't a factor in gameplay like ammo is with most single player FPS for instance.