Yay Hellgate London beta!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The game is fun for the first day or so, but then you start to realize that theres really not a lot of variety there.
Trips to hell all look alike.
Monsters are the same ones renamed or in different colors.
It starts to get old.
I cannot see people paying to play.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I'll be on for a few hours before I have to go to work. I'll add you guys to the friends list thing.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
'poppin - weren't you an admin?

excuse me?
:confused:

If you mean formerly a moderator here for a few months, yes

Anyway, i played since i logged off and i had my first BSOD with Vista in a loooong time :p
--goddamn demons screwing with my rig now ... i *knew* i should not have disabled my firewall
:Q

It's still holding my attention ... and getting weirder and better ... did you find a 'treasure room'?

... and thanks for the tips on chat ... my first MMO [except for LotRO demo] since i got broadband this Summer ... i'll look for you guys ... i am in the station that is pretty much destroyed and held by armed guards.

i haven't tried DX10 yet ... i understand there are currently issues with it ... they claim it will look better AND run faster with DX10 then with DX9 ... this i gotta see for myself

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
'poppin - weren't you an admin?

excuse me?
:confused:

If you mean formerly a moderator here for a few months, yes

Anyway, i played since i logged off and i had my first BSOD with Vista in a loooong time :p
--goddamn demons screwing with my rig now ... i *knew* i should not have disabled my firewall

It's still holding my attention ... and getting weirder and better ... did you find a 'treasure room'?

... and thanks for the tips on chat ... my first MMO [except for LotRO demo] since i got broadband this Summer ... i'll look for you guys ... i am in the station that is pretty much destroyed and held by armed guards.

i haven't tried DX10 yet ... i understand there are currently issues with it ... they claim it will look better AND run faster with DX10 then with DX9 ... this i gotta see for myself

DX10 is still not working for me at all. I tried it again and actually got into the game, but the screen just went black and I could not see anything, though I could still walk around.

Anyway, I'll just have to stick with DX9 for now.

KT

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I just lost a good gun due to the drone-eating-bug and a server disconnect :|

It's nice to see all the work they did this weekend had absolutely no effect at all.

That and whenever I quit Hellgate, or alt-f4, or ctrl-alt-del it, my computer hard freezes and needs to be restarted.

I can't decide whether I love this game or hate the piss out of it.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
The drone bug has been around a while, I'm sort of not really feeling warm and fuzzy with such a big bug this close to release.

That and getting like 93XP from a level 8 yellow quest which I did on Friday.

All in all, I think this game could benefit from 6 more months of polish.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: ayabe
The drone bug has been around a while, I'm sort of not really feeling warm and fuzzy with such a big bug this close to release.

Definitely. From what I've seen, I'd say it's currently in early beta / stress test mode, despite it launching in just over a week.

And after posting my thoughts on the game in the beta forums, I came to realize just how civil and mature ATOT actually is. I've never really wanted to kill someone before, but those lamers need some ass kicking.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Canai

Definitely. From what I've seen, I'd say it's currently in early beta / stress test mode, despite it launching in just over a week.

And after posting my thoughts on the game in the beta forums, I came to realize just how civil and mature ATOT actually is. I've never really wanted to kill someone before, but those lamers need some ass kicking.

:D

PitViper2057

Jan 9, 2003
Finished the demo quite quickly (and got a legendary quality pair of boots for my blademaster) and am now wishing i had the beta to try out more of the game, but so far I have quite enjoyed my experiences with the game.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Yeah I noticed that as well. I was going to post a couple of questions and thoughts on the Hellgate forums, but after reading a few threads there I thought better of it.

KT

HopJokey

Platinum Member
May 6, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

Yeah I noticed that as well. I was going to post a couple of questions and thoughts on the Hellgate forums, but after reading a few threads there I thought better of it.

KT

Hah, reading through the HGL forums I have found that a majority of the threads are related to whining over having to pay for "elite" difficulty and "hardcore" mode.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: HopJokey
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

KT

Hah, reading through the HGL forums I have found that a majority of the threads are related to whining over having to pay for "elite" difficulty and "hardcore" mode.

Yeah. I wish they would increase non-paying char slots to more than three, though... The game is obviously bent towards instance-based multiplayer ala Guild Wars, yet you're not allowed to play all the classes without paying every month.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Level 17 :p

just finished ... "early" [1:15AM PST] ... over 20 hours of play [ i'd guess - with breaks to sleep and eat] ... i am almost done with the Temple area :p
-and crashes and glitches are getting more common ... about every 20 minutes :(
... i hope they are getting it fixed
--maybe i will be tired of it by the time it is released

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah. I wish they would increase non-paying char slots to more than three, though... The game is obviously bent towards instance-based multiplayer ala Guild Wars, yet you're not allowed to play all the classes without paying every month.

/Same.

Only 3 char slots is almost a deal breaker for me, this is where the money whoring comes into play.

I think 10 slots for free, 25 for pay is fair to everyone.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

/Same.

Only 3 char slots is almost a deal breaker for me, this is where the money whoring comes into play.

how many characters do you people have at once?:confused:

i'd have like.. 3 at most :p

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

/Same.

how many characters do you people have at once?:confused:

i'd have like.. 3 at most :p

Yeah say you take a BM all the way through and want to try a different build for a few levels, do you want to have to nuke your guy to try? It really discourages experimentation which for these types of games is kind of what it's all about, for me at least.

There are 6 classes so you can only have 3 chars? Lame.

Wolfstan

Oct 8, 2005
The Beta isn't single player. The Beta is Multiplayer. What are you on?

And for the naysayers, the beta is one huge build behind the gold (release) version. And they are still adding and tweaking things to patch at release.

Flagship is also working on Mythos (http://www.mythos.com/), which is a true Diablo successor.

HG:L will be much better at release. People need to realize that a beta is just a beta.

What? Every player will have access to all the classes, as well as the three new classes to be added at launch.

And Guild Wars has way more classes than character slots.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Wolfstan

And for the naysayers, the beta is one huge build behind the gold (release) version. And they are still adding and tweaking things to patch at release.

Flagship is also working on Mythos (http://www.mythos.com/), which is a true Diablo successor.

HG:L will be much better at release. People need to realize that a beta is just a beta.

What? Every player will have access to all the classes, as well as the three new classes to be added at launch.

There are many more issues than what has been listed here, the auto attack bug for instance. You sound like a class A apologist, if everything is fine and dandy come launch day then I will apologize to you, but we're 1 week out and many issues remain which should have been part of the beta so they could be properly tested.

What 3 new classes are going to be available at launch? I haven't heard any such thing.

Don't care a flip about Guild Wars and I reiterate that everyone should get more than 3 char slots, period.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Wolfstan

There are many more issues than what has been listed here, the auto attack bug for instance. You sound like a class A apologist, if everything is fine and dandy come launch day then I will apologize to you, but we're 1 week out and many issues remain which should have been part of the beta so they could be properly tested.

What 3 new classes are going to be available at launch? I haven't heard any such thing.

Don't care a flip about Guild Wars and I reiterate that everyone should get more than 3 char slots, period.

Multiple times (3 actually) I have completed a quest, had a general server error which kicks me out, then I lose any credit for the quest.

That is fine right now in Beta, but when the game is live these things should not happen on a regular basis. Not to mention the multiple creatures freezing mid-air and turning invincible which happens to me quite often. Also I still can't even play in DX10.

I'm still on the fence about whether to buy this game and not having all of the changes/updates in the beta for people like me is just a bad idea. If I'm not sure all of these things are fixed, why would I go out and buy it? :confused:

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
This game sucks

You should write reviews for a living, that was great! :thumbsup:

KT

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
The more I play it, the more I fall in love.

I do hate the framerates though. It in my own opinion needs to be much better optimised. Graphics look great on unrunnable/near unrunnable options.