Yay Hellgate London beta!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
30,271
7,716
136
Originally posted by: nefariouscaine
I am gonna try out the single player but the only think i enjoyed about it so far was the graphics -- left me wanting more, as did playing the Tabula Rasa beta

I'm thinking its hard for these RPG makers to come up with something high rez / high graphics and still good content - but I play RPG's for the experience not cause it looks like a FPS
and that is a fundamental problem with today's games. everything has to be graphically impressive, otherwise it is regarded as utter crap because it "looks bad." HGL doesn't even look that bad, which is the crazy part! i thought the graphics were great considering they have to allow for random level generation.

i still go back and play old games because the gameplay is so awesome, not the graphics.

 

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
1,667
0
76
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: nefariouscaine
I am gonna try out the single player but the only think i enjoyed about it so far was the graphics -- left me wanting more, as did playing the Tabula Rasa beta

I'm thinking its hard for these RPG makers to come up with something high rez / high graphics and still good content - but I play RPG's for the experience not cause it looks like a FPS
and that is a fundamental problem with today's games. everything has to be graphically impressive, otherwise it is regarded as utter crap because it "looks bad." HGL doesn't even look that bad, which is the crazy part! i thought the graphics were great considering they have to allow for random level generation.

i still go back and play old games because the gameplay is so awesome, not the graphics.
I think you miss quoted me - I was saying that but the only think i enjoyed about it so far was the graphics" -- they reminded me of F.E.A.R. and thats a good thing

game play was ok -- just didn't *do* it for me - same thing with Tabula Rasa

both impressed me with graphics for the most part - nothing cutting edge but good
 

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
27,112
318
126
Considering how much STALKER and other games are bashed here for being buggy and unfinished I'm surprised no one's complaining about this one. Clipping errors are everywhere, the graphical sliders have seemingly no effect on visuals (which are currently on par with Quake 2), and the GUI is a joke. You have to right-click just to see what your items do and in conversation you have to click that damn arrow a thousand times to get past all the inane dialogue. The in-game advertising isn't great either.
 

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
50,235
117
116
I find it funny that every single time I have tried to play this game the servers have been down. I understand this is a beta and they need to fix things and whatnot, but to have every server down for all of Saturday is completely ludicrous to me.

KT
 

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
34,890
1
0
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
I find it funny that every single time I have tried to play this game the servers have been down. I understand this is a beta and they need to fix things and whatnot, but to have every server down for all of Saturday is completely ludicrous to me.

KT
"funny"? ... you have an unusual sense of humor.

Anyway they're down for most of Sunday also. :p
-they come back online 10.30 PM PST and it will be my first time other then trying the SP demo [undecided; the demo did nothing for me either way]

But ... what do you expect for free? They only have a couple of weeks to get it right for pay.
:confused:

i am playing Ep2 so i really don't care ... Ep2 is worlds better then Ep1
[which i may never finish] ... and CoJ and SpellForce2 are still on deck if the new releases fail to impress me or i want to wait till bugs are patched.
 

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
16,641
58
91
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
Considering how much STALKER and other games are bashed here for being buggy and unfinished I'm surprised no one's complaining about this one. Clipping errors are everywhere, the graphical sliders have seemingly no effect on visuals (which are currently on par with Quake 2), and the GUI is a joke. You have to right-click just to see what your items do and in conversation you have to click that damn arrow a thousand times to get past all the inane dialogue. The in-game advertising isn't great either.
I agree, the other thing that got me is when you initiate a conversation with an NPC they tend to blather some sort of sound clip that makes no sense at all. I almost didn't want to talk to them because of it.
I can hope that the final product will be better, but my hopes aren't that high.
 

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
8,016
1
0
Bah I've been waiting all fucking weekend for this stupid 'scheduled, yet unannounced' server maintenance. 20+ hours of work on the server less than two weeks before the game comes out, ON A FUCKING WEEKEND, makes me have serious misgivings about the game. I've never really played an MMO before (other than a couple other betas), but this beta is by far the worst I have been in. Tons of game breaking bugs, childish assholes swarming the beta forums, and constant downtime are all I've seen of this game so far. Now, the servers are supposedly back up, but I keep getting unable to connect errors. It's even more broken now after all the work they did.

That coupled with shitty graphics, horrid animations, piss poor world details, and tons and tons of game-breaking bugs leads me to believe that I won't be buying it.

edit: their website just went down, too. Yup, this game sure is ready to launch :thumbsdown:
 

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
50,235
117
116
Originally posted by: Canai
Bah I've been waiting all fucking weekend for this stupid 'scheduled, yet unannounced' server maintenance. 20+ hours of work on the server less than two weeks before the game comes out, ON A FUCKING WEEKEND, makes me have serious misgivings about the game. I've never really played an MMO before (other than a couple other betas), but this beta is by far the worst I have been in. Tons of game breaking bugs, childish assholes swarming the beta forums, and constant downtime are all I've seen of this game so far. Now, the servers are supposedly back up, but I keep getting unable to connect errors. It's even more broken now after all the work they did.

That coupled with shitty graphics, horrid animations, piss poor world details, and tons and tons of game-breaking bugs leads me to believe that I won't be buying it.

edit: their website just went down, too. Yup, this game sure is ready to launch :thumbsdown:
Totally agree on every point.

The servers are apparently up. I try to connect and I do, then it downloads a patch (takes about 30 minutes, no worries) then the game resets itself. Ok, no big deal, just open it again.

I open the game up again and try to connect to the server, it says there is a connection error, mentioning my anti-virus and/or firewall. Ok, just close the game, then turn of my anti-virus and ensure the game is allowed through my firewall.

Start it up again and get the same error...

Plus their website is down, so I can't even go there to get help with the game.

I've had this game for about a week and a half now and have been able to play exactly 0 minutes of it.

Sorry, just felt like ranting. :)

KT
 

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
7,671
1
0
Man, I just tried the beta for the first time...and it sucks. The graphics remind me of Anarchy Online, as does the gameplay.
 

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
8,016
1
0
OK so I got back from an extended drive and log in and everything works fine. Same bugs, same bad graphics. I didn't even have to download any updates. I wonder what they did that took so long and shows no results :confused:

edit: nope, they added flying invincible monsters, and ones that can noclip. This game is hard now.

edit2: hey let's play. my account name is canai. I have a level 7 (I think) Engineer. add me to your friends list (b) in game :)
 

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
34,890
1
0
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Canai
OK so I got back from an extended drive and log in and everything works fine. Same bugs, same bad graphics. I didn't even have to download any updates. I wonder what they did that took so long and shows no results :confused:

edit: nope, they added flying invincible monsters, and ones that can noclip. This game is hard now.

edit2: hey let's play. my account name is canai. I have a level 7 (I think) Engineer. add me to your friends list (b) in game :)
i dunno ... i have very few bugs ... i got "stuck" between parked vehicles once and and had to restart the game; crashed a couple of times with a server error but generally get at least a half hour of continuous play ... i have crashed twice to desktop and had to use task manager both times ... playing on Vista

BUT i have been playing it non-stop at least 5 or 6 hours ... level 9 and i *love* it ... no friends ... i am soloing it pretty much

i am buying this one ... i am Maxxxx and a Blademaster ... lots of fun
- did i already say that it's fun?
:confused:
 

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
6,278
6
81
For those who do not think the game is graphically impressive, in the beta it is totally unplayable on DX10 with every option on at 1920x1080 but it looks extremely exciting, better than Stalker does at that resolution/options mix.

I am playing HG:L online Beta at 1024x768 with most options set to high and the DX10 fancy bits off. It looks average, a standard I would expect from a hyped/flagship game.

Ive made the game BSOD on Vista which was amusing. I have been booted several times and had trouble logging in but when you get there it is extremely enjoyable.

I think the game itself is good. It is a rather unique and novel system that they use but I think it works well and I instantly felt at home in a Diablo2-style game once I had navigated my keyset. At this moment in tume, early stages level 5, I am not feeling that there are enough enemies or the AI isnt good enough. In Diablo2, you could literally get to the stage where you were swamped and constantly moving, turning to nobble everything in front of you. I just dont feel that yet.

Bosses.... well, damn. They are fun!!! Probably around 10 times as many hit points, about 2 1/2 times as tall, uniquely skinned and drop loads of loot.

One thing, Id expect a secret Cow Level. For those of you who have done some of the earliest quests, you'll know what i mean.

(For reference above, I am running an AMD X2 6000, 2 gb 800mhz DDR2, BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC 320mb edition on Vista Ultimate. Everything "out of the box" speeds)
 

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
50,235
117
116
I finally got to play it for a bit today. I'm not exactly sure what to make of this game. It feels like some sort of MMO/FPS/RPG hybrid type thing.

I have to admit I did get sucked into the game after playing for a little bit and I am interested to see where it goes (I'm still not sure exactly what I'm doing either).

The AI is pretty terrible, though I guess they are zombie-type creatures, so I can't expect them to be too bright.

The controls take a little getting used to and I find some parts of the UI less than intuitive.

I could not get the game to load in DX10, it would just freeze up on the character creation screen. I switched it over to DX9 and all was fine; running smoothly at 1920x1200 with most things at high/very high, on the rig in my sig.

I'll probably need to put a few more hours in to really get an idea of whether it is worth purchasing for me.

KT
 

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
8,016
1
0
I'm leaning towards buying it, but not subscribing. It's a good mindless kill fest. I played for a bit tonight, taking a few breaks for homework, and I'm up to level 12 engineer. Now that I'm starting to understand the crafting and mod system, I kinda like it.
 

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
34,890
1
0
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Canai
I'm leaning towards buying it, but not subscribing. It's a good mindless kill fest. I played for a bit tonight, taking a few breaks for homework, and I'm up to level 12 engineer. Now that I'm starting to understand the crafting and mod system, I kinda like it.
i *love* it

Level 11 or 12 [blademaster] with 11 or 12 straight hours [in two parts] and heading up the MQ very nicely ... it is unfolding rather nicely

and i also love "hack and slash" ... this is the best of it ... i have been *swamped* ... literally buried in enemy NPCs ... and hacked and healed myself out of it [especially in the Museum where i had to pay for "resurrections" ... i also love the upgrades and modifications ... Oblivion sucks & blows compared to this - so far.
:heart:
 

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
14,138
4,224
136
I got to watch a friend who has a beta account play, and the online beta seems to be much better than the SP demo (which was mediocre at best). I myself played a bit and enjoy the crafting system and the swarms of enemies. The best part is when you have 15+ monsters swarm you so as Marksman you shoot a Firefox down at your feet to napalm them and drop a grenade too... mass carnage :D
 

natep

Senior member
Sep 27, 2005
527
0
0
ehh, i played it for a while (11 blademaster) and i don't think i'll be getting it. the game feels like the zombies you have to slaughter: soulless. the sound and music is drab, and barely there most of the time. the music is really only there when a boss shows up, and it really doesn't do a boss fight justice. the bosses seem lame, btw. sure, they're bigger, and have more hp, but what else? i still just go up and tap left click until it falls over. the graphics aren't bad in a pixel sort of way, but bad in the actual art style (at least in the game, the concept art seems undeniably cool).

i also think that all of the little things that kept me grinding D2 are completely absent, and it really does matter w/ a grind game like this. there's no good *ding* noise when a ring falls on the ground, for example, or that good *clank!* when plate drops.

i'm not saying the game is terrible, but i don't think i'd pay launch price for it. if they improved the animations and made the game more atmospheric, i'd probably get it.
 

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
43,806
45
91
i tried playing the demo again yesterday but as a blademaster this time. still feeling very meh about the whole game.

oh, and i think flagship is living in the past too much. the first huge boss in the demo drops Wart's leg...Wirt's leg from Diablo and there was similar in D2.
Some of the character voices sound like characters from Warcraft. I realize they used to work for Blizzard but come on, you don't work there any more! make up your own stuff, don't rehash crap from previous games!
 

HopJokey

Platinum Member
May 6, 2005
2,110
0
0
Anyone in the beta want to party up sometime?

I have a level 9 Blademaster with like all my skill points and attr. points saved. I don't know how to build him yet. I was thinking maybe putting all my points in sweeping strike and aura of power. As for attr. points, I guess I will save them and use them as needed for neccessary equipment. Anyone have any suggestions?
 

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
34,890
1
0
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: HopJokey
Anyone in the beta want to party up sometime?

I have a level 9 Blademaster with like all my skill points and attr. points saved. I don't know how to build him yet. I was thinking maybe putting all my points in sweeping strike and aura of power. As for attr. points, I guess I will save them and use them as needed for neccessary equipment. Anyone have any suggestions?
sure ... maybe ... i'll figure out how to chat :eek:

IF the servers saved my Char from 4AM, he is Maxxxx .... a Level 11 BladeMaster [also] :p

i guess we need some long range firepower

i missed Diablo [except for the Demo] ... so HGL is pretty cool for me ... btw it's my 'day off' ... too windy to work [no, really - gusts to 75MPH] ... guess what i will be doing today?
[there is a god]
:D
 

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
50,235
117
116
Ok, I have a sick day today, so I decided to fire this game up again this morning.

I am having a lot more fun with it as I start to learn how to actually play the game. I started a new character because the Evoker was just not doing it for me. I'm a Marksman (Hunter) now, which I just got to level 5(woot!)...way more fun for some reason.

There are still quite a few bugs, and I wish the graphics were a bit better, but I'm definitely having fun with it. Still not sure whether I will buy it or not.

This game kind of reminds me of Deus Ex, which may be why I am starting to like it. :)

BTW Apoppin, hit 'enter' then type /chat to chat in the main chat area. Type /w then the name of the character to talk to a specific character. There are more variations of this as well.

KT
 

HopJokey

Platinum Member
May 6, 2005
2,110
0
0
Originally posted by: apoppin
sure ... maybe ... i'll figure out how to chat :eek:

IF the servers saved my Char from 4AM, he is Maxxxx .... a Level 11 BladeMaster [also] :p

i guess we need some long range firepower

i missed Diablo [except for the Demo] ... so HGL is pretty cool for me ... btw it's my 'day off' ... too windy to work [no, really - gusts to 75MPH] ... guess what i will be doing today?
[there is a god]
:D
Alright I'll look for you online when I get home in the afternoon. My character name is "HopJokey" BTW. Hopefully you won't be too far ahead of me.

These last few days of the beta I'm going to try and play as much as I can to determine whether or not I should purchase the game.
 

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
32,539
260
126
I haven't played enough of the beta yet to give a strong enough opinion for others, but to me so far my biggest concern would be that there is no "wow" factor. I had more excitement with the MOHA and Bioshock demos. You can see how they are trying to merge portions of FPS/MMO/RPG, but it seems that they are not always picking the best pieces of each type when they combine them. One of the things it does have going for it is that there are multiple non melee options for combat, a theme that to me is getting more tired than WW2 FPS's. At the same time my starting pistol has an unexplained cooldown on use and a rather limited range (lore related :D). Personally it does have a bit of the Vanguard feeling to me. 
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY