Yay Hellgate London beta!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
a LOT of you seem confused what it is about

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg.../news.html?sid=6163906
Flagship was founded by key veterans of Blizzard's Diablo teams. Roper was at the annual Consumer Electronics Show to show off Hellgate: London at Microsoft's vast booth.

Hellgate: London will let you battle an army of demonic monsters in the gutted ruins of London. Set sometime in the future, you'll be able to play as a templer, which is basically a high-tech knight; a cabalist; a spellcaster; or a gun-wielding hunter. Roper explained that the cool thing about Hellgate: London is that you can play it as a single-player game, but there will also be an option to turn it into a subscription-based multiplayer game if you want to play with others and enjoy lots of new content.

Roper walked us through character creation. You can create a male or female character with an extensive amount of customization options, ranging from body features to build and height. Then he showed off the opening levels, including a beginning quest to recover a prosthetic leg for a poor little boy. The only problem is that the leg is the possession of a giant demon. You'll have to venture to the surface and battle hordes of demons to recover it, and that gave Roper a chance to show off the randomly generated levels, so each game of Hellgate: London won't play the same way twice.
it is supposed to play VERY differently depending on which class you choose ... as soon as the servers come back online, i am going to find out. IT it IS that *different* playing as an 'engineer' from a Blademaster, this might be my first game pre-order - ever! :p

i believe PC Gamer has the first review [8.9, i think] and IGN has 8.2 - but that is for SP only [i believe - as i haven't seen the magazine]

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Why are the servers down?

i believe they are doing the character wipe and forum wipe. The final beta comes online sometime tomorrow and if you pre-order you can play all weekend and then transfer it permanently when the game hits release Halloween.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Well, I've been playing the beta and so far...m'eh.

I dunno - something is missing. Is it true the beta is way far behind the release version?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Does anyone know if you get a beta invite when you pre-order it from the EA Store?

Edit - nvm, just checked the hellgate london site.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
With this new wave ofBeta, they seem to have broken the Chat. I see nothing and cant say anything.

DX9 feels better optimised, 1920x1080 @ High settings for everything and all boxes ticked is smooth, FPS seems capped at 60 now. Coven Garden Station is in EXTREME need of optimisation. If 50+ FPS is a reasonable average in combat, I should not dip to 30-40 in town and in places, the frames are starting to become choppier.

Had a blast on Summoner and Engineer. Not really my thing. Their little allies seem too weak and they arent exactly proficient with weapons. My level 13 Marksman is still up and running so I think I will stick with him.

I am a little disappointed that Flagship Studios released a poor demo. After reading a bit about it, the Demo seemed extremely castrated and flat. The start of the game is not really conducive to "WOW!!! Im fighting the demons from hell and saving the city of London, NAY THE WORLD!!! from total annihilation". It feels like "who the hell is this guy? Zombies... how predicatble. This guy is nearly dead, he's spouting something useless. Who is going to sit me down, tell me a scary ghost story around the campfire and really make me want to carry on?"

However, based upon the Beta, I feel this is definately another Diablo 2. Exciting, rather innovative and easily developed games which offers the addiction levels testament to very few games.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
The HGL servers and the forums are down as they have completed the US beta testing.

Just before launch they are going to REopen the Beta servers for about a week so that beta players who can't get the game on launch day - or people like me who want to try another Class before buying - will still be able to play on Launch day [with the beta caps] AND will be able to transfer their character into their retail account when they get their game copy.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
The HGL servers and the forums are down as they have completed the US beta testing.

Just before launch they are going to REopen the Beta servers for about a week so that beta players who can't get the game on launch day - or people like me who want to try another Class before buying - will still be able to play on Launch day [with the beta caps] AND will be able to transfer their character into their retail account when they get their game copy.

I pre-ordered weeks ago and have not seen or heard anything about them reopening servers before launch day or allowing characters to be transfered. Where did you hear this?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
On the forums.

nope

i would never give that away: :p

http://www.hellgatelondon.com/.../big-beta-news-updated
the US Beta will be ending this Friday at 10:00AM PST. This will include a full character wipe. Yeah, I know some of you didn't get to play as long as others, but the final game will be out in the US just a few days later.

That said, some time just before launch (don't have a specific time/date yet), we'll actually be opening the Beta server back up for about a week. "This makes no sense, Kaiser!" Well, maybe not at first, but not everyone will be able to get the game on launch day for various reasons. This way, if you're in the Beta and are still waiting for your game to arrive, you'll still be able to play Hellgate. Also, the characters you create during this time will transfer over into your retail account. Once this happens, any caps/restrictions will be lifted. Yay! The characters will still have the Beta caps on them (such as level caps and such), but you can at least get started with your characters.
i can read this while i am logged out ... so it appears to be public info

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Someone convince me to pre-order this game.

Im sure I did.

I also hate Flagship Studios for not releasing the Collectors Edition in Europe.

it is pure blasphemy that such a heinous act be commited. I dont want to be charged VAT and HMCE charges or find my copy is locked just because I shipped from america

Edit: Changed UK to Europe.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Someone convince me to pre-order this game.

convince yourself - or not ... play the beta ... it opens just before the launch
-i am trying a new very different Char ... if it is all they say it is, i'm sold.

especially since they say DX10 looks AND runs better than DX9. :p

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I have been playing the beta - for two weeks.

still unconvinced?
:confused:

how many characters and how far did you get with them.

i only played BladeMaster for 3 days as i got the demo late, but i managed to get as far as they let me at Level 20. i want to try another class before dropping $50.

coinbird

Oct 26, 2007
it looks like they tried sticking with what they think made diablo what it is. Though i think it will be a long time until we see a game that can out do diablo.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
apoppin - Would I be right in saying that all 3 test servers, Test Server, US and EU have all been down this UK weekend?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Elcs
apoppin - Would I be right in saying that all 3 test servers, Test Server, US and EU have all been down this UK weekend?

http://www.hellgatelondon.com/underground/last-push

Last Push
It's coming... Hellgate: London is but days away from retail. In preparation for the imminent launch, Flagship and Ping0 have disabled the official website login, forums, and beta servers. Such downtime is necessary to ensure a smooth, explosion free day one.

The live servers will be up early next week in preparation for launch. Of course, when that happens the website and forums will once again be operable. Remember, if you're a beta player, you'll be able to login then and reserve your character names.

Cheers!

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
played this and found it pretty boring. I would rather play wow and I find that terribly boring aswell.