Yay Hellgate London beta!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: lupi
Congratulations! You've been selected to be part of an elite group to help test Hellgate: London, the highly-anticipated Action-RPG from Flagship Studios!

I'm torn whether or not to actually download it.

i am D/L'ing it

but WHY the heck did i have to sign a NDA?
:confused:

Because it's beta. Someone in this thread already broke NDA big time.

I will say this, the game is fun.

It's not Titan Quest, but I think TQ sucks and isn't in any way a replacement for D2.

That's all I'm gonna say, for you guys on the fence, just play it.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Received the notification yesterday, I'll try to find some time to play this weekend.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Congratulations! You've been selected to be part of an elite group to help test Hellgate: London, the highly-anticipated Action-RPG from Flagship Studios!

I downloaded, but now I'm torn on whether to actually install and play it. :D

KT

:grin;

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
demo now available at fileshack

edit: fileshack, not shacknews :eek:

Well that's messed, why would they make this big deal about being selected for the beta and making everyone agree to an NDA if they are going to release the demo the next morning? If it is already at the demo stage, you would think they are close to release and the 'beta' testing will be pretty much pointless. :confused:

Unless this is like UT3's beta/demo hybrid thingy?

KT

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

Well that's messed, why would they make this big deal about being selected for the beta and making everyone agree to an NDA if they are going to release the demo the next morning? If it is already at the demo stage, you would think they are close to release and the 'beta' testing will be pretty much pointless. :confused:

KT

the beta has been ongoing for sometime, and contains much more than the SP demo.

i haven't played the beta in a while, though, so i don't know *exactly* how far into the game it goes in its current stage. i didn't want to beat however much % of the game before getting it at retail, ya know?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

KT

the beta has been ongoing for sometime, and contains much more than the SP demo.

i haven't played the beta in a while, though, so i don't know *exactly* how far into the game it goes in its current stage. i didn't want to beat however much % of the game before getting it at retail, ya know?

Fair enough. This is the game where you have to pay for upgrades and whatnot correct? That is why I am hesitant to play it.

KT

Edit: Hey I thought you were a crab, not a cow? :confused:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

i am D/L'ing it

Don't think it's an open beta yet; although at this point going NDA is a bit strange; afraid of current status of the game with release imminent scaring away prospective buyers?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

i am D/L'ing it

Don't think it's an open beta yet; although at this point going NDA is a bit strange; afraid of current status of the game with release imminent scaring away prospective buyers?

you won't have to pay for anything in the beta/demo...

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
There is 'certain' content that will only be able to be had if you pay. However, it isn't alpha class stuff just some of the nice gear with different skins/models etc and the levels you have to pay to unlock to get the gear.

They have said over and over, the content to 'get' the variated gear is the big seller to pay online not the gear itself.

The game is buggy for sure. Titan Quest is fun to me. Hellgate is fun to me. But HG needs to fix a lot of stuff before its ready, even if it ships early.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: MichaelD
*edit*
This sucks. I just found out that the Beta is Single Player only. It won't be much fun w/my connection speed. Plus, nobody likes a n00b...everyone will be fragging away and I'll have no idea what to do and get booted off the server. :| I'll give it a shot anyway, though.

/runs off to find an original UT server and frag everyone

for me, I only got the Multiplayer Option BUT I got to play the Single Player storyline on my own. I will, however, run in to other players in the "towns" though. I got the pre-order beta.

/runs off to find TF2 server and medic heal everyone.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: pontifex

i am D/L'ing it

this is a *huge* D/L in 2 parts ... *exactly* what am i getting [into]? :p

i see SP HG:London demo "This Hellgate: London demo includes the Blademaster and Marksman classes, and part of Act 1 of the game." at 1.46GB

So what am i getting? ... the entire game? ... the multiplayer or Single player campaign? ... or both?

EDIT: Never mind ... i just read the e-mail from them :eek:
- just from reading it i get the impression it is really "beta" and they need some help. Bumbling about in the MP is no problem.
... :cool:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex

i am D/L'ing it

this is a *huge* D/L in 2 parts ... *exactly* what am i getting [into]? :p

i see SP HG:London demo "This Hellgate: London demo includes the Blademaster and Marksman classes, and part of Act 1 of the game." at 1.46GB

So what am i getting? ... the entire game? ... the multiplayer or Single player campaign? ... or both?

Yeah I'm confused as well. Also, with the demo out, what parts of the game can we talk about and which parts are off limits? Do I need to run through the demo to see what I can talk about? :confused:

I'm going to try and fire this thing up tonight, but it may have to wait until tomorrow.

KT

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i figured it out :p

. . . READ their invitation email ;)

... and don't get too "attached" to you Char.
:D

the email is not under NDA, i guess - they invited me to pass it on if i was already signed up
Feel free to forward this e-mail to a friend!

you are my friends?!!

You are in the very first group that will play and test Hellgate: London outside of Flagship Studios. As such, you will see the game during its development stages, and there are some important things to keep in mind. The game servers will not be up all the time. In fact, for the first few weeks, it's likely they will only be up one or two nights a week. As we are primarily testing the online components of Hellgate: London at this time, the game will only be playable when the servers are up.

Also, there will be times where we will need to completely erase all your characters. Don't become emotionally attached to them! This is part of game development and is required during our network technologies and hardware testing. Your items and skills will become both more and less powerful as we refine the game balance, and features may appear and disappear at any time. Sometimes it's frustrating, but this is how you get to the best game in the end.

... here is the relevant part about NDA ...
i copied the pages into Word but this summarizes it:
Please note the legal documents attached when you download and play Hellgate: London. Yes, they are tedious to go through, but we did want to mention something about the Non-Disclosure portion of them here. We're asking that you not share anything about Hellgate: London until we say otherwise. Don't post a review or screenshots on your favorite website, blog about your experience, etc. We know it's tempting, and that you'll want to share your favorite moments and so on, but this is part of your responsibility of being an early tester of the game. You're part of a privileged group, and must take this responsibility seriously. We'll make sure to let you know when you can start telling the world all about your time in the Hellgate: London test.

what *we* do and what we report to them is what changes the balance and fine-tunes the game for you

from now on ... my lips are sealed ... somebody above might consider an edit ^ ... ^ ;)
:lips:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
i figured it out :p

. . . READ their invitation email ;)

... and don't get too "attached" to you Char.

the email is not under NDA, i guess - they invited me to pass it on if i was already signed up ... here is the relevant part about NDA ...
i copied the pages into Word but this summarizes it:
Please note the legal documents attached when you download and play Hellgate: London. Yes, they are tedious to go through, but we did want to mention something about the Non-Disclosure portion of them here. We're asking that you not share anything about Hellgate: London until we say otherwise. Don't post a review or screenshots on your favorite website, blog about your experience, etc. We know it's tempting, and that you'll want to share your favorite moments and so on, but this is part of your responsibility of being an early tester of the game. You're part of a privileged group, and must take this responsibility seriously. We'll make sure to let you know when you can start telling the world all about your time in the Hellgate: London test.

Good stuff, thanks! I'm not too worried about losing my characters, I went through that with the LOTRO beta, so I'm used to it now. :D

The part about the servers is kind of annoying though...:frown:

KT

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i figure they will be up until they run into bugs then they shut them down and work on them some more ... then up and down ... yes it is tedious for them ... and launch isn't that far off so i expect it will get better and better
... anyway i have always wanted to try this as i usually find bugs in finished and even polished and patched games

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Went to the page and did the account signup. System must be getting hammered cause it's been 10+ minutes and still haven't received the followup email yet.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

KT

Fair enough. This is the game where you have to pay for upgrades and whatnot correct? That is why I am hesitant to play it.

KT

Edit: Hey I thought you were a crab, not a cow? :confused:

you pay for expanded content, not necessarily "upgrades" per se. it's just like diablo, plus an MMO style for those who want more.

i changed to the cow since my brother's old account was a cow; i thought it was funny :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: quikah
The NDA is over. http://www.hellgatelondon.com/...ubscribers-and-patch-0

Also, if anyone wants an invite PM me, I have an extra.

So ? how about some specifics?!

DX10 Update

The build of Hellgate: London which you are reviewing includes both DX9 and DX10 versions of the graphics library. The DX10 version of this build has a few known issues. They include a slow framerate compared to the same scene in DX9 and black loading screens. We?re currently working on a fix for the black loading screens. The slower framerate is due to the fill-rate intensive special features that only our DX10 engine has, including: soft shadows with proper contact hardening, depth-of-field, motion blur, interactive GPU-simulated fluid smoke, texture-array animated rain, and soft particles. The extra fill rate costs are mitigated by an initial depth-only render pass, which is now being tested and will be ready for release. When Hellgate: London hits retail, we expect the framerate of our DX10 target to be as high, if not higher than DX9, including these special features.
but do they mean on the same rig? i'd say that is BS given every other game to date
:Q

i guess they ended the NDA so that the beta players can tell everyone how good it is :p

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Being an over-enthusiastic Diablo 2: LOD fan.....

I'm loving this so far!!

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
My friend and I have cancelled our preorders after playing the beta. Neither of us found the game very exciting. I consider the $5 deposit I probably lose at Gamestop to be well worth the savings over the full cost and any monthly fees. Oh well, there is always Starcraft 2. I still need to figure out how I can get my way in the beta of that when it is time. :)

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
I am gonna try out the single player but the only think i enjoyed about it so far was the graphics -- left me wanting more, as did playing the Tabula Rasa beta

I'm thinking its hard for these RPG makers to come up with something high rez / high graphics and still good content - but I play RPG's for the experience not cause it looks like a FPS