YATT: pizza delivery guy gets no tip; pees on door

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pelov

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2011
If a Pizza came up to $25 what percentage or how much would you tip the delivery guy?

$5 is fair. That's 20%.

Of course I always tip double by greeting them by the door in my birthday suit.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
"It's just one of those things where unfortunately, I don't have the money," said Teply.
The women shouldn't have ordered the pizza if you can't afford to give at least a buck.

Teply said she feels for the guy who she thought was about her age and probably struggling too, but she said a few dollars shouldn't have warranted this.

She says this and knows the part of his income is tips and she stiffs him.

If you were really hurting for money you wouldn't be wasting it eating out and could have bought food for a few meals for what you paid for your pizza.

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I know it gets back into the whole tipping debate, but never understood why people are so stingy with pizza delivery tips, yet have no problems giving their 15-20% at a restaurant. It seems it's a hell of a lot more work and convenience for someone to drive food to your front door, than to carry a few dishes 20 feet from the kitchen to your table.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
The women shouldn't have ordered the pizza if you can't afford to give at least a buck.

She says this and knows the part of his income is tips and she stiffs him.

If you were really hurting for money you wouldn't be wasting it eating out and could have bought food for a few meals for what you paid for your pizza.

The ONLY amount she should be able to afford in purchasing a pizza is the exact amount it costs to purchase the pizza. Anything else is irrelevant.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
The ONLY amount she should be able to afford in purchasing a pizza is the exact amount it costs to purchase the pizza. Anything else is irrelevant.

Just like going in sitting down in a restaurants and only worrying about the amount of what you ordered? Sorry, tipping is well known as part of pizza delivery guys income.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
She got what she deserved!

The poor guy will have to switch to one of the other 400 pizza shops around town now. :(

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Just like going in sitting down in a restaurants and only worrying about the amount of what you ordered? Sorry, tipping is well known as part of pizza delivery guys income.

Yes. The only obligations are of the customer to produce the cash they agreed to pay, and for the business to produce the service/item they agreed to dispense. That applies to any legitimate business transaction in a modern society that understands the value of a contract. Anything beyond that is either gravy or extortion.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Yes. The only obligations are of the customer to produce the cash they agreed to pay, and for the business to produce the service/item they agreed to dispense. That applies to any legitimate business transaction in a modern society that understands the value of a contract. Anything beyond that is either gravy or extortion.

The way I see it when I used to live in Canada, pizza was one of my favs. During winter time I would order pizza a lot instead of walking outside in the cold. Sometimes late at night because some places opened late.

When you think about it, a pizza guy will have to go outside in the elements (in winter climates) and try to deliver your food before it gets cold. Actually, one time my food was really late because the driver crashed the vehicle due to black ice. I would normally tip any delivery guy well.

Now, a waiter or waitress in some fancy warm cozy building who just walks a few feet to deliver some food is another story altogether.

WraithETC

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
I just stopped buying food from any place that expects a tip. Heres my 100% tip on $0 enjoy.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
While I agree with you, there's this.

You pay a couple dollars more for the pizza vs. pickup, then there's a delivery charge, then there's a tip. From the consumer pov it's triple dipping.

I never order delivery anymore because of this.
When I delivered pizza customers would ask if the delivery charge was given to the driver. I would tell them that it goes towards vehicle maintenance. WE drove company cars. So YES it went towards vehicle maintenance!!

Feb 6, 2007
I'm sorry but if you don't have enough money to tip and you're ordering delivery, you're fucking pathetic.
I'm a generous tipper. But it sounds like this guy may not have deserved it. I mean, let's face it, someone who is gracious and gives you good service is not going to turn around and start micturating on your property if you don't tip them. They may call you an asshole under their breath and move on. The type of person who pisses on your door? They probably didn't deserve the tip from the get-go.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I worked deliveries for a while, and always felt weird taking tips, and my job was a lot harder than pizza delivery. I delivered groceries, which meant carrying $100s of groceries right into your kitchen/up 6 flights of stairs. I never felt I deserved tips, it was appreciated but never expected.
Of course, if you were a known tipper, hell ya you would get your shit before everyone else.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
When I delivered pizza customers would ask if the delivery charge was given to the driver. I would tell them that it goes towards vehicle maintenance. WE drove company cars. So YES it went towards vehicle maintenance!!
I think you missed the point, it's 3 different price increases for the same thing.

Carry out specials not allowed for delivery, why? Because it's delivered.
Delivery fee, why? Because it's delivered.
Tip, why? Because it's delivered.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I think you missed the point, it's 3 different price increases for the same thing.

Carry out specials not allowed for delivery, why? Because it's delivered.
Delivery fee, why? Because it's delivered.
Tip, why? Because it's delivered.

So the businesses offering that service should set an official shipping charge.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I worked deliveries for a while, and always felt weird taking tips, and my job was a lot harder than pizza delivery. I delivered groceries, which meant carrying $100s of groceries right into your kitchen/up 6 flights of stairs. I never felt I deserved tips, it was appreciated but never expected.
Of course, if you were a known tipper, hell ya you would get your shit before everyone else.

And that's the problem with pizza delivery people and servers, they for some reason think they deserve a bunch of extra money for doing basic customer service and most of the time do a shitty job at it.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
This is why I pick up my pizza at the pizza place. Lately, the $10 (plus sale tax) large pizza with all the toppings from Pizza Hut was very nice.

Last edited:

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
I have a friend who delivers pizza in Grand Rapids, MI. Recently he decided to log all tips received during a 3-night stretch. A full half of the customers tipped $0. That kind of blew me away. I guess I give people too much credit. This friend of mine is a good guy, and very friendly.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
No the woman did not deserve to have her door peed on. And fuck some pizza places. I carried out pizza from Dominos few months back and the guy asked me if the pizza was ok over and over. After a moment, I realized he was pulling the same shit people do in restaurants when you leave them a 0 tip.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I have a friend who delivers pizza in Grand Rapids, MI. Recently he decided to log all tips received during a 3-night stretch. A full half of the customers tipped $0. That kind of blew me away. I guess I give people too much credit. This friend of mine is a good guy, and very friendly.

no suprise. i would say 50% wouldn't tip or just the change left over (the dimes, nickles etc).

the other 49% would tip $2 a delivery (or more depending on how many). the rest were great amazing . it was very rare though oddly always from middle class or lower homes.

Last edited:

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
fuck the percentage. i usually give $2 then $1 for each pizza over 2.

Yea thats close to the "general rule" I was told. That is $2 + round the total up is the Min and larger orders either do $1 a pie or percent depeding on the order.

So a basic/smaller order of $22.37 is rounded to $23 + $2 = $25 total.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
And that's the problem with pizza delivery people and servers, they for some reason think they deserve a bunch of extra money for doing basic customer service and most of the time do a shitty job at it.

Difference is the grocery delivery is usually done in company cars and the food is marked up based on general sells, not lower wages.
With pizza and other standard delivered food the price is based on paying the workers lower wages than normal in regards it will be made up on tips for the employees to make up the differamnce and also the upkeep in their cars. I delivered pizza for a while many years ago and am not sure how drivers make money off it now with car maintaince, gas prices, and pizza places charging "delivery" fees that most do not go to the drivers.