YASST: 3 kids + 3 adults dead in latest school shooting...

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Let the States figure it out. Want to ban firearms across the board, let a state vote for that. Surely there's a handful of States that jive with your ideals you can relocate to if it matters that much to you.

States rights matter.

So you disagree with the courts (lower and the Supreme courts) rulings on all the state gun laws that have come before them?

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
So you disagree with the courts (lower and the Supreme courts) rulings on all the state gun laws that have come before them?
I think we could do some things differently. I'm open to change more often than not, doesn't mean I disagree with anything on the books at the moment. I'm for burning all sorts of law far beyond firearms and putting them up for vote, even down to counties I'd be fine with. Personally I'd be down for putting a gun in the hand of everybody and see if we wouldn't suddenly have a very polite society however I'm open to letting the people decide for themselves what they want in their respective localities even if it means absolute banishment of firearms. We should revisit our laws as if they had term limits, but we can't even get term limits everywhere as it is. Of course, something like this will probably never, ever transpire so this post isn't even worth the electricity in the datacenter it's stored on.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Your question is stupid. It assume's that everything is solvable and preventable if we are all armed. I know that is simply not the case. I know that more guns equals way more gun violence. I would not change the entire well-being of society for one emotional and personal moment. You would. Please start going up to mass shooting victim's families and ask them all that, then beg and plead for them to fetishize guns like you do if they say no.

Let me ask you. How many bullets would you take if it meant protecting every pro gun Republican politician in Washington DC from being killed instantly, thus preventing that moment of chaos the Dems could have to institute sane gun laws? I mean how many because I'm sure you'd take waaaaaay more than one bullet to stop sensible laws about your fetish.
It assumes nothing of the kind. Just because you are set up for home defense doesn't mean you will ever be attacked or successfully defend yourself. You might shoot yourself with your own gun, you might use it to commit suicide. You might shoot through the wall and kill your child sleeping in the next room. You might get shot before you can use it to protect yourself. But you will have an edge in saving an innocent life, yours or that loved one.

And I am not asking to change anything either. My ability to have a gun for self defense is a constitutional over two hundred year old right. So if you could do as I asked if you would, you would be changing noting but a single stat. You or your loved one would be one person who was successfully defended by a firearm from an attempted murder.

Your fear of guns and what they are capable of in the hands of insane people leads you to want to remove that right from all those normal people to own them for a myriad of legitimate reasons basically because you are willing to convict people of thought crimes you imagine they have. Your fury is about poiltics and the fact that some of them on the right won't let you have your way. It's angry, self righteous people that will pick up a gun to express their contempt for the world. Most people who own guns get pleasure from owning them. They are not interested in dying by cop or seeking negative attention because that's how worthless they feel.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm not a single policy voter. I don't just vote for banning guns. I am all for gun regulations that are common sense. I am not for an outright ban on guns. I can see banning the AR15 and the like, but the odds of that happening are so small it doesn't exist. Plus how would you collect the ones that are already in the wild? It just isn't feasible.

I have voted for Democrats before, but they have swung so far to the left in recent history I can't vote for most due to the offset issues. I think a lot of the things I posted below would at least curb some of the shootings. They need to enact this with LAWs and not executive actions that can be reversed with the stroke of a pen.

For Starters off the top of my head:

Limited magazine sizes on all civilian weapons to say 3 to 5 rounds.

Ban assault rifles with a clear definition of what an Assault rifle is. We would need to figure out how to capture those already out in the wild.

Waiting periods for the purchase of any fire arm, minimum at least until after a meaningful background check is completed.

Red Flag laws that are enforced with confiscation of guns.

Must be 25 years old to purchase or own any fire arm.

Mandatory documented training requirements for all.

Parents should be held accountable and banned from ownership if their children get access to their weapons.

Reopen Mental Health facilities like they used to be with mandatory retention in some cases for the good of all. We have way too many mentally handicapped people walking around with no supervision or care. Granted it isn't always nice to be in one of those. I worked at one back in the late 1960's. It wasn't pretty, but they were well cared for at least while I was working there for a couple of years.

Too many hard heads all around. Unfortunately nobody wants to compromise.

I think it's funny you think the democrats have swung so far to the left, but you vote for someone like Trump, twice. GOP went off the rails when America elected a black guy. They have no actual policies except maintaining power to further enrich the ruling class, using racism, xenophobia, bigotry, and hate to get there.

So when you claim to be a multi-issue voter, understand voting for the GOP isn't that, at all.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I have voted for Democrats before, but they have swung so far to the left in recent history I can't vote for most due to the offset issues....

....Too many hard heads all around. Unfortunately nobody wants to compromise.
Uh huh. Tell me more about #bothsides and how the US has "far left" politicians in government. Hint: it doesn't.

I didn't disagree with everything in your post, but that one remark all but invalidates it due to either ignorance or intellectual dishonesty.

I'm going with the latter.
No they don't. States have no rights, only authorities that people choose to grant them.
That's only when the GOP members at the state levels don't decide to ignore or invalidate the voter's wishes, which seems to be happening more and more often. No interest in governing or following voter's wishes...only retaining and consolidating power and control of the masses.
I think it's funny you think the democrats have swung so far to the left, but you vote for someone like Trump, twice. GOP went off the rails when America elected a black guy. They have no actual policies except maintaining power to further enrich the ruling class, using racism, xenophobia, bigotry, and hate to get there.

So when you claim to be a multi-issue voter, understand voting for the GOP isn't that, at all.
He's a multi-issue voter, he just doesn't care for any of the "far left" policies. You know, the ones that are in the center of the political spectrum despite their being, "far left"? Yeah, those.

:rolleyes:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Uh huh. Tell me more about #bothsides and how the US has "far left" politicians in government. Hint: it doesn't.

I didn't disagree with everything in your post, but that one remark all but invalidates it due to either ignorance or intellectual dishonesty.

I'm going with the latter.

That's only when the GOP members at the state levels don't decide to ignore or invalidate the voter's wishes, which seems to be happening more and more often. No interest in governing or following voter's wishes...only retaining and consolidating power and control of the masses.

He's a multi-issue voter, he just doesn't care for any of the "far left" policies. You know, the ones that are in the center of the political spectrum despite their being, "far left"? Yeah, those.

:rolleyes:

He's full of shit as we all know from years of posting history. He cares about sensible gun laws, but votes for a party who gives two shits. He pretends to not be racist and is against racism, but votes for the racist party, he is probably pro-life but votes for the anti-life pro-birth party, he probably claims to be for a clean environment, but votes for the party that could give two shits.

He is full of shit and he is just like tens of millions of more horrific members of his party.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This might be the single stupidest thing I've ever read on these forums. Kudos.
I’m sure you do. Your mind will rationalize in whatever way it takes to deny the reality that while you are perfectly free not to own a firearm for self protection, with the survival instinct the most powerful instinct we have, and, with every traumatic event people experience as adults, left obsessed by thoughts of what they could have done differently, you would regard the fact that people would give anything for a do over to save an innocent life to be the stupidest thing you have heard, because only a total denier of reality like yourself would not see the hideous nature of such a person who would wish to preemptively remove from others that right of self defense. I don’t give a fuck if you own or don’t own a fire arm, that is your right. But, in my opinion, only a complete moron would take from all manner of other people not physically strong enough to defend themselves against physically aggressive males who do most violent crimes, the opportunity, at least in some measure, to level the playing field.

There is another blame game one can play and it is to say, you might as well shoot them yourself, since you will be helping to allow those criminals to send them to their deaths by takin from them the right of the use of firearms for self defense.

We live in a society that has a tradition that one has rights until they are abused, that rights come with responsibilities that are punishable for only after a failure. That is because a long time ago good men realized that the true nature of humanity is good but turns vicious when that nature is suppressed by the projections of the suppressed hatred of other people as a result of the mind killer, fear. You are an authoritarian coward that seeks safety in the creation of a police state.

Don’t kill Gradma, bro. Get some therapy for that fear. Get some sensible gun laws past and especially get get the world some education containing psychological wisdom. You are living in the dark ages of profound ignorance.

And remember, only you can prevent forest fires.

Reactions: pcgeek11
Jul 27, 2020
I don’t give a fuck if you own or don’t own a fire arm, that is your right. But, in my opinion, only a complete moron would take from all manner of other people not physically strong enough to defend themselves against physically aggressive males who do most violent crimes, the opportunity, at least in some measure, to level the playing field.
Hard to argue with that.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I’m sure you do. Your mind will rationalize in whatever way it takes to deny the reality that while you are perfectly free not to own a firearm for self protection, with the survival instinct the most powerful instinct we have, and, with every traumatic event people experience as adults, left obsessed by thoughts of what they could have done differently, you would regard the fact that people would give anything for a do over to save an innocent life to be the stupidest thing you have heard, because only a total denier of reality like yourself would not see the hideous nature of such a person who would wish to preemptively remove from others that right of self defense. I don’t give a fuck if you own or don’t own a fire arm, that is your right. But, in my opinion, only a complete moron would take from all manner of other people not physically strong enough to defend themselves against physically aggressive males who do most violent crimes, the opportunity, at least in some measure, to level the playing field.

There is another blame game one can play and it is to say, you might as well shoot them yourself, since you will be helping to allow those criminals to send them to their deaths by takin from them the right of the use of firearms for self defense.

We live in a society that has a tradition that one has rights until they are abused, that rights come with responsibilities that are punishable for only after a failure. That is because a long time ago good men realized that the true nature of humanity is good but turns vicious when that nature is suppressed by the projections of the suppressed hatred of other people as a result of the mind killer, fear. You are an authoritarian coward that seeks safety in the creation of a police state.

Don’t kill Gradma, bro. Get some therapy for that fear. Get some sensible gun laws past and especially get get the world some education containing psychological wisdom. You are living in the dark ages of profound ignorance.

And remember, only you can prevent forest fires.

Well, it was the shortest lived title run in history ...

• Haha
Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

I disagree with some of the overly broad statements. The GOP isn't off the rails although some are extreme, just as on the Dems side (The Squad for instance). My opinions have nothing to do with "The Black Guy" you are so fond of referencing all the time. Obama was a million times better than the "White Guy and Helper" (Biden / Kamala) we have now they both suck. They are both out to just undo everything Trump, damn the outcome. See Border, Oil, Economics, selling off our Oil Reserves...

The Dems also love to maintain keeping the African Americans beholden to them by offers of aid programs and reparations etc. I don't know why you would continue voting for them. I know why many do as it is the perpetual promise that the Government is here to help, when in fact they don't give a shit as long as they get the votes.

We disagree with one another and that is Okay. You do you and I'll do me.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z and Pohemi

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999

Yup a selfish society that won't change for the benefit of the next generation. And funny how the rest of the civilized world does fine without this gun fetish.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I disagree with some of the overly broad statements. The GOP isn't off the rails although some are extreme, just as on the Dems side (The Squad for instance). My opinions have nothing to do with "The Black Guy" you are so fond of referencing all the time. Obama was a million times better than the "White Guy and Helper" (Biden / Kamala) we have now they both suck. They are both out to just undo everything Trump, damn the outcome. See Border, Oil, Economics, selling off our Oil Reserves...

The Dems also love to maintain keeping the African Americans beholden to them by offers of aid programs and reparations etc. I don't know why you would continue voting for them. I know why many do as it is the perpetual promise that the Government is here to help, when in fact they don't give a shit as long as they get the votes.

We disagree with one another and that is Okay. You do you and I'll do me.
If you are attempting to equate AOC with MTG that comparison is so dishonest. Let's just start with a baseline.

Does MTG meet the minimum requirement of a decent human being? What has AOC done that even comes close to...

Calling all Democrats pedophiles
Stalking a school kid on the streets of DC
Calling MSD survivors crisis actors.
Labeling Jan 6 terrorists as patriots
Jewish space lasers.

You really want to do the extremist comparison? Ok fine. Your turn. And if in your words Obama was a million times better then Biden he had to be 100 billion times better than the guy you voted for.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The GOP isn't off the rails although some are extreme, just as on the Dems side (The Squad for instance)...
#bothsides
They are both out to just undo everything Trump, damn the outcome.
Yeah, because Donald did so much good for the country, and Biden is just destroying it all with a pen.

Are you sure you aren't just recalling what Donald did to everything Obama put in place? Undoings out of nothing but spite?
I don't believe you're a single issue voter, but I think you agree with the GOP on just about every policy. Because you make it obvious that you do not support 95% of what Democrats try to get passed.

Can you be honest about it, at least?

Reactions: Meghan54 and Drach

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
To borrow from the late great George Carlin, conservatives want rights. For the rest of us they deem them as privileges. Something they have been trying to take away. AKA voting rights.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
#bothsides

Yeah, because Donald did so much good for the country, and Biden is just destroying it all with a pen.

Are you sure you aren't just recalling what Donald did to everything Obama put in place? Undoings out of nothing but spite?
Exactly. The orange monkey did the exact opposite as Obama. So of course Biden will try to restore as much as possible

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
God damn you all let the trolls derail the shit out of threads.

Just like their GOP leaders, they have completely changed the discussion and we're no longer talking about the children who were murdered and how to prevent it in the future.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
If you are attempting to equate AOC with MTG that comparison is so dishonest. Let's just start with a baseline.

Does MTG meet the minimum requirement of a decent human being? What has AOC done that even comes close to...

Calling all Democrats pedophiles
Stalking a school kid on the streets of DC
Calling MSD survivors crisis actors.
Labeling Jan 6 terrorists as patriots
Jewish space lasers.

You really want to do the extremist comparison? Ok fine. Your turn. And if in your words Obama was a million times better then Biden he had to be 100 billion times better than the guy you voted for.

OMG, What gave you the idea I am defending MTG? She is also a loon and can't be defended by any sane person. LOL

I didn't mention AOC specifically, only the Squad which as a whole are pretty stupid and rank right up there with MTG.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez isn't as bad, but has some pretty nutty ideals which I totally disagree with.

Rashida Tlaib, Cori Bush, Ilhan Omar and Ayanna Pressley are just bat shit crazy in my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
#bothsides

I don't believe you're a single issue voter, but I think you agree with the GOP on just about every policy. Because you make it obvious that you do not support 95% of what Democrats try to get passed.

Can you be honest about it, at least?

I have been totally honest.

I do not agree with a LOT of Democrat policies. Correct!

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
God damn you all let the trolls derail the shit out of threads.

Just like their GOP leaders, they have completely changed the discussion and we're no longer talking about the children who were murdered and how to prevent it in the future.

Go back and read. I didn't derail anything...

I'm finished.