YAMST - Santa Clarita, CA High School

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
He used a .45 pistol. the most commonly used type of gun in the country for violence. i expect this to seep out of the media quickly because it was not an AR or some other semi auto rifle.
The sad truth is that all guns kill.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I no longer want to live in a country where school children are afraid to attend school. My niece had a gun pointed at her just last week. I'm voting for change for the rest of my long life.

Reactions: Jaskalas and Muse
Nov 25, 2013
How about we look at Chicago this week rather than second hand smoke:

Week in Progress (11/10 – 11/16)
Shot & Killed: 3
Shot & Wounded: 18
Total Shot: 21
Total Homicides: 5

Mass shooting deaths this year in the USA: 385... Killed in Chicago 415.

Chicago doesn't even get a blip on the radar when it comes to the news. Of course mass shootings won't hit the airwaves.

The above has been brought to you by the Ministry of Culture and Public Enlightenment. More squirrels than you can shake a stick at.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
That is just one of a long list of things the gun industry has done to exacerbate this issue.
If they were serious about reducing gun violence they would work with lawmakers to pass sensible laws instead of just opposing everything that could reduce their record profits.
why do you hate America?

/s

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
How about we look at Chicago this week rather than second hand smoke:

Week in Progress (11/10 – 11/16)
Shot & Killed: 3
Shot & Wounded: 18
Total Shot: 21
Total Homicides: 5

Mass shooting deaths this year in the USA: 385... Killed in Chicago 415.

Chicago doesn't even get a blip on the radar when it comes to the news. Of course mass shootings won't hit the airwaves.
What is your point? That the city of Chicago is more dangerous than a high school in California?
I'm actually at a loss as to what you think that this tells us.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Well 2 more kids are dead so scared whites can pretend they are safer with guns. How many kids will die for their feels?

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Slightly off topic, I heard on the news the other day that the courts have given the go ahead for the lawsuits to go against the gunmaker in the Sandy Hook cases.

Slightly off topic, but an interesting issue nonetheless.

I wouldn't think that such a lawsuit could get anywhere, particularly given the immunities given to gun manufacturers by federal law. But the law contains an exception for improper marketing. What strikes me is this:

In filings with the U.S. Supreme Court, the Sandy Hook families say Remington "published promotional materials that promised 'military-proven performance' for a 'mission-adaptable' shooter in need of the 'ultimate combat weapons system.' " They also accuse the company of fostering a "lone gunman" narrative as it promoted the Bushmaster, citing an ad that proclaimed, "Forces of opposition, bow down. You are single-handedly outnumbered."

This is a military style weapon they are selling to civilians, with a marketing narrative which encourages its use against other human beings. That's what you get by targeting your advertising to right wing crazies, militia types and sovereign citizens. Anything to make a buck. Maybe they'll have to give some back now.

Reactions: Muse

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Slightly off topic, but an interesting issue nonetheless.

I wouldn't think that such a lawsuit could get anywhere, particularly given the immunities given to gun manufacturers by federal law. But the law contains an exception for improper marketing. What strikes me is this:

This is a military style weapon they are selling to civilians, with a marketing narrative which encourages its use against other human beings. That's what you get by targeting your advertising to right wing crazies, militia types and sovereign citizens. Anything to make a buck. Maybe they'll have to give some back now.

oh yeah. These gun companies are full of ghouls. I dont even know how people doing that kind of work can live with themselves.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Responsible Gun Owners.

I do want to take away all guns. I'm the one, if you're looking for me.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Edit: only 3 injured per that article, no one even dead yet. There's not even a needle for this story to move.
I think his 45 was a 6 shooter. He killed two, wounded three, put the last bullet in his head (might have come out the other side). They said the clip was empty.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Read it's a 15 yo kid. Wonder where he got the gun? I hope he didn't get it from his parents, as that would be irresponsible security on their part.
There will be stories for days as they unravel this. They're combing over his social media trail, said they didn't find anything yet except that they don't see a political bias involved. He turned 16 the day of the shooting. He had murderous impulses, obviously severe ones. The problem here is the accessibility of guns.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You forgot No Armed Teachers
Oh, that really would have helped. He opened fire in the courtyard, not a classroom. He just pulled the pistol from his backpack and started shooting kids. It was all over in probably 30 seconds.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The difference is that the shootings in Chicago impact a relatively small footprint of the population, primarily those in the immediate proximity. While I'm not saying this is okay, the difference with school shootings is that they affect the entire nation. It may not be rational, but it has infiltrated the psyche of every school in our country. My daughter's school had a threat for a shooting today. The police investigated it and found the threat to not be credible, but it still caused a huge disturbance for the entire community. Police were all over around the school today. And then one of the first headlines I see is a school shooting in California. No, I'm not afraid for the safety of my daughter. But I understand probability and statistics. My daughter's brain is not developed to the level where she has this understanding yet.
Good points. The youth are terrorized. This should never happen.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I no longer want to live in a country where school children are afraid to attend school. My niece had a gun pointed at her just last week. I'm voting for change for the rest of my long life.
And vote against any politician who disagrees with you on this issue. That's crucial.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What is your point? That the city of Chicago is more dangerous than a high school in California?
I'm actually at a loss as to what you think that this tells us.
All it tells us is that Chicago is a microcosm where gun madness in America is on steroids. It's quite magnified there. It doesn't mean that the madness elsewhere isn't significant. Fact is, if you ban gun sales in Chicago, people there can get them outside Chicago. If they couldn't, well, the bloodbath there would end.

Feb 4, 2009
Oh, that really would have helped. He opened fire in the courtyard, not a classroom. He just pulled the pistol from his backpack and started shooting kids. It was all over in probably 30 seconds.

Come on we know that doesn’t matter. We already saw one person say how did this happen in California. That’s another tactic, if you can’t stop all shootings it’s not worth doing anything.

Reactions: ivwshane

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Come on we know that doesn’t matter. We already saw one person say how did this happen in California. That’s another tactic, if you can’t stop all shootings it’s not worth doing anything.
Do something? What? Give teachers guns, make them go to the shooting range, show them how to load and unload them. Where to put them in the classroom, how to carry on campus. What a way to get students to respect their teachers! Yes sir!!!

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
All in due time. I doubt it, but who knows. Probably just a super angry kid. On his bloody birthday.
That's possible, but mass murder isn't a normal situational response from a teenager. Back in the dark ages when you and I went to school this never happened. Now it's common, what changed?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That's possible, but mass murder isn't a normal situational response from a teenager. Back in the dark ages when you and I went to school this never happened. Now it's common, what changed?
I think society is getting more fucked up. There's more people who have been dealt a bad hand in life without a way out. Much higher percentage of families where nobody is home with the kids, all parents have to work to make ends meet. I don't have the statistics, but I figure there are more guns around now, too. We should fix all that stuff, but the low hanging fruit is to get the guns out of people's hands, cupboards, glove compartments, backpacks.

We have intractable problems. "An Inconvenient Truth" was IMO a watershed moment. Gore put the climate crisis in relief. Of course, it was there already, he didn't create that. But intractable problems only make things worse. We have an administration that is in denial. The party in power (senate and the white house) are in denial, almost all of them. How could we not have societal chaos now?

Last edited: