Ya'll gettin enough water?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm in the abnormally dry part of the map, but it's not super bad here...yet.

But this is a sign to prepare for the worst. Climate change is only starting to show it's more severe effects and it's only going to get worse exponentially.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Don't want to jinx anything but it hasn't been to bad here in Peoria, IL this summer. We've had a lot of rain and some high temps but it seems to cool off every couple of weeks or so. Just as an example tonights low is 62*F and tomorrows is 57.......on August 1st.o_O

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
No famous last words here either but the Northeast is okay for the moment at least compared to out west. (we are still under a drought-condition long term)

None of us is really okay when it comes to fresh water supplies. :confused_old:

b8d96763052218637e1061de5b5bdd65.jpg

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
no water problems this year

got 4 inches in 24 hours a couple weeks ago, and another inch or so since then

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Don't want to jinx anything but it hasn't been to bad here in Peoria, IL this summer. We've had a lot of rain and some high temps but it seems to cool off every couple of weeks or so. Just as an example tonights low is 62*F and tomorrows is 57.......on August 1st.o_O

yeah these lows are crazy, i normally don't see overnight lows like this until mid september

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
he's kinda right. all our essential good are interconnected, and water is the most essential.

Idk about the whole "he" thing ... I'm leaning towards "it".

And I'm going with air for #1 myself! ;)

Take away the air and instantly water won't matter much at all!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Wat? o_O

If you are human wth are you talking about and if a 'bot just wtf... why?

:rolleyes:

He's kind of right. Price of water affects food crops and prices...as well as manufacturing that uses a lot if water.

We had our first measurable rain in over 40 days early this morning. (Just a couple of hundredths of an inch) We need rain here in the PNW desperately.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
He's kind of right. Price of water affects food crops and prices...as well as manufacturing that uses a lot if water.

We had our first measurable rain in over 40 days early this morning. (Just a couple of hundredths of an inch) We need rain here in the PNW desperately.

True in that sense, however what I'm questioning is the humanity of the above poster. This IMO is what makes the post odd.

I don't believe we get very many (if any) new members with a pulse anymore.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
True in that sense, however what I'm questioning is the humanity of the above poster. This IMO is what makes the post odd.

He looks real and wants in on some Anandtech action.

He seems to frequent the gaming forums.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
He looks real and wants in on some Anandtech action.

He seems to frequent the gaming forums.

You've surmised this from the 4 posts he/it made prior to the above?

(at the time of this reply)

To be fair not having seen the posts in question myself you may be right ... here's hoping for an actual new member!

:p

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You've surmised this from the 4 posts he/it made prior to the above?

(at the time of this reply)
He must be the most advanced bot yet given the variety of subjects(nouns) that have come out of his now- five posts.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Of course I did. I stuck to the geek forums here for 8 years, ignoring OT plebs like you. :p

So yeah... 'bots can be good enough to keep even people who are already suspicious going for quite awhile these days that's the point.

Soon enough (if not already) you won't be able to tell.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
So yeah... 'bots can be good enough to keep even people who are already suspicious going for quite awhile these days that's the point.

Soon enough (if not already) you won't be able to tell.
Well then, passing the Turing test is becoming more fathomable than it was years ago.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Lake County IL has not had as much rain as normal, we are part of the tiny bit of the state of IL which is in a severe drought. but, we are lucky enough to get filtered water from Lake Michigan home use. I never water my lawn, and its very green. I imagine the farmers int he county might be having a difficult time, but, there arent nearly as many left as their used to be. Most have sold out to developers or to county park lands.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

I guess it's not impossible that it's a bot...it's getting more and more difficult to tell...

Reactions: Captante

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Given the political posturing between states, how long until we get close to threats of shooting wars between states and farmers and cities over water? If the drought continues, it is going to get real ugly.

I've been out west once, on a business trip, and visited Lake Mead/Hoover Dam in 2000 and thought it looked low then, i.e. bathtub ring.
1627835154087.jpeg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
War and politics is my main worry. I doubt we need to worry about water here in Canada, even in a drought status, it's usually not at a point where we will run out of drinking water, but if the states are at that point then we are in trouble. We already have companies like Nestle setting up pipelines and sucking up millions of gallons of our water to the point that lake levels go down. If we have more of that, it could very well actually cause problems.

What they need to do is build desalination plants at the coastal regions and then pipe water to the rest of the country, but they refuse to because it's "too expensive". You know what else is expensive? War. Even here in Canada we should be preparing for the worst and we should have desalination plants at our coast. Climate change is not going away, because of greed. Unfortunately we have no choice but to just adapt at this point.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I keep meaning to pull my well cap to see where the water level is but i keep forgetting. I haven't checked it in years.
I would now but it's raining.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante