YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 522 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Got some new Talon grips today for my M&P Shield. Already had rubber Talons on my XDm and PPQ, figured I'd try the granulate ones for the shield. Think I made a mistake... The rubbers were great, don't know why I felt the need to try something new. Sure, the grip is even tighter with the granulate.. it's actually fantastic.. but those granulate grips are basically just adhesive high grit sandpaper. I'm afraid to put this thing on my waist and see what it does to my skin/clothing. I think they'd actually be pretty nice for an open carry, but I'm not sure these will work for concealed. Only a 20 dollar mistake at least. :)

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Some pics of the new problem solver mags, 30 rounds of 10mm on hand is a wonderful thing -

IHHK7cG.jpg

MAo4Uvs.jpg

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Just picked up the pistol lower from the local FFL today and it will go with the rail10.5" upper. Pics are coming up.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Got some new Talon grips today for my M&P Shield. Already had rubber Talons on my XDm and PPQ, figured I'd try the granulate ones for the shield. Think I made a mistake... The rubbers were great, don't know why I felt the need to try something new. Sure, the grip is even tighter with the granulate.. it's actually fantastic.. but those granulate grips are basically just adhesive high grit sandpaper. I'm afraid to put this thing on my waist and see what it does to my skin/clothing. I think they'd actually be pretty nice for an open carry, but I'm not sure these will work for concealed. Only a 20 dollar mistake at least. :)
I've got the granular grips on my P226 and love them but yeah I don't think I'd like them on a carry gun. I've got the rubber on my PPS carry and they're nice though one corner is starting to peel a bit.
Some pics of the new problem solver mags, 30 rounds of 10mm on hand is a wonderful thing -

IHHK7cG.jpg

MAo4Uvs.jpg
Hahaha "problem solver." Nice job; that is quite boss.

So I'm looking at getting some muzzle devices for some of my lead slingers in order to interface with a suppressor in the near future and have QD capability as I've no interest in having dedicated cans for each gun nor repeated taking off/on of the can. In particular I'm looking at devices for a 300 BLK AR pistol. I can't decide between a flash hider or brake. I'd probably prefer a brake but I was wondering if that would negatively affect the sound suppression at all since brakes are typically louder. If I had to guess I'd say it doesn't really cause the can is surrounding it but I figured I'd ask y'all.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I've got the granular grips on my P226 and love them but yeah I don't think I'd like them on a carry gun. I've got the rubber on my PPS carry and they're nice though one corner is starting to peel a bit.

Hahaha "problem solver." Nice job; that is quite boss.

So I'm looking at getting some muzzle devices for some of my lead slingers in order to interface with a suppressor in the near future and have QD capability as I've no interest in having dedicated cans for each gun nor repeated taking off/on of the can. In particular I'm looking at devices for a 300 BLK AR pistol. I can't decide between a flash hider or brake. I'd probably prefer a brake but I was wondering if that would negatively affect the sound suppression at all since brakes are typically louder. If I had to guess I'd say it doesn't really cause the can is surrounding it but I figured I'd ask y'all.

If you are going to be picking muzzle devices for a suppressor, I always choose brake. It, in effect, gives you an extra blast baffle and can increase the life of the can.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Relevant update given the discussion of 9mm rifles...

Tax stamp back, upper engraved, and we finally have a MP5 as the good lord intended it. Now if I could just find where the hell I put the rear push pin all would be good in the world.

20161004_220111.jpg

I love those... that looks amazing. Congrats on the ownership. I've no doubt you'll love it as much as I.

The PPQ a M2? One of the things I loved about the PPQ M-2 is the grip on it, so hearing someone adding on to that is a bit odd in my head. Does it make a massive difference?

Lastly... I came across this the other day and was mesmerized. Not sure why the old style film works, but for me it did. It's also not every day I see a instructional vid for the pig.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
The PPQ a M2? One of the things I loved about the PPQ M-2 is the grip on it, so hearing someone adding on to that is a bit odd in my head. Does it make a massive difference?

Yea it is. Honestly, I was in love with my talons from my XDm so I figured what the hell and got them for my ppq as well. Truly, the factory grip on the ppq m2 is fantastic.. It certainly does improve with the rubber talons, but absolutely not a dramatic improvement. I won't take em off, but I don't think I'd do it again knowing what I know.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Yes, but who said I was registering all of them? I just want to make my trips to the range painless.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I dont know anything about guns so I could use some advice. Someone offered this as a partial trade for something and if I could easily get 500 out of it I would do it. This is what he said in a message
"It's a .45 Springfield I just bought for 1100$ and had target sights put on, and trigger work done to it. Has lots of accessories and has had less than 50 rounds through it. Worth 1500$"

Vhh9ZWT.jpg

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I dont know anything about guns so I could use some advice. Someone offered this as a partial trade for something and if I could easily get 500 out of it I would do it. This is what he said in a message
"It's a .45 Springfield I just bought for 1100$ and had target sights put on, and trigger work done to it. Has lots of accessories and has had less than 50 rounds through it. Worth 1500$"

Vhh9ZWT.jpg
You could easily get $500 out of that Springfield, likely a lot more to the right buyer.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
If you are going to be picking muzzle devices for a suppressor, I always choose brake. It, in effect, gives you an extra blast baffle and can increase the life of the can.

Hmmm. A suppressor with an extra blast baffle would be quieter than a supressor lacking that extra baffle, right (in theory)? It seems weird though that a brake makes a gun louder, but when used with a suppressor it would be (possibly) quieter? Unless I'm misunderstanding.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Wouldn't matter since IIRC he's in the midwest :)

EDIT: Assuming the quality of the work done can be verified; at least what he paid for it new.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If it is indeed worth way more than 500 no way would I sell that cheap then. I would beat the lowest you could get it anywhere by a good amount though

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
If it is indeed worth way more than 500 no way would I sell that cheap then. I would beat the lowest you could get it anywhere by a good amount though

I wouldn't say way more, http://www.mrgundealer.com/product.springfield-milspec-pistol-pb9108lp-3

Trigger $20
Hammer $60
Target sight $70

Of course there are many options and prices for these items, you'd have to know the brand & model of each to get a value. 1911 folk are usually very particular about what parts are used. In the 1911 world, it's a relatively cheap pistol, but popular.

1911's typically need some tuning to work well, and everything is used now.

Last edited: