YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 521 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
z3wTMUP.jpg

Got the G20 slide back form Cerakoting, looks ok, certainly less boring than matte stainless steel.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Looks pretty good to me.

I ordered about $400 worth of underwood hot 10mm ammo this week, and another 5 15rd 10mm glock mags for the new glock 40.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Anyone ever build a dedicated 9mm AR lower?
I've been interested in a small (maybe even SBR) 9mm style AR. I found a good price on a dedicated stripped 9mm lower but not sure what all parts I need for the lower for a 9mm version. I built a lower for a 5.56 AR several years ago.

The lower I am looking at is a Yankee Hill Machine for $139. Not sure if going this route would save money or not.

It's either that go for something like a CZ Scorpion EVO pistol and then SBR it later.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I've been interested in a small (maybe even SBR) 9mm style AR. I found a good price on a dedicated stripped 9mm lower but not sure what all parts I need for the lower for a 9mm version. I built a lower for a 5.56 AR several years ago.

The lower I am looking at is a Yankee Hill Machine for $139. Not sure if going this route would save money or not.

It's either that go for something like a CZ Scorpion EVO pistol and then SBR it later.

Why not get a completed 9mm AR style lower for about $200 plus shipping and FFL fee? - http://palmettostatearmory.com/blem...plete-coltc-style-magazine-lower-classic.html

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016

If you take your time and pick up stuff on sale or with free shipping, you can save a few $.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
I kinda wondered about that slide myself, and wether it was supposed to look like it had been kicked around on sandpaper on the floor.

Yeah, I was surprised when I unwrapped it, less happy with it today... they got excellent coverage, etc, and they're covering shipping, the owner called me when I emailed them, he said he had new employees, and has been having problems with their artistic skills.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Yeah, I was surprised when I unwrapped it, less happy with it today... they got excellent coverage, etc, and they're covering shipping, the owner called me when I emailed them, he said he had new employees, and has been having problems with their artistic skills.

I kind of like how it looks, it is a bit different than some of the other worn bronze style jobs I have seen, but I cannot say it looks bad, just different.

That is good that they are taking it back and fixing it like you wanted it to begin with though.

Jerem

May 25, 2014
I'm familiar with the ar mag lock and such. I'll definitely be getting those.

There has to have been something in writing stating the bullet button meets the legal definition of a fixed magazine. Iirc the ATF is usually the agency that gives guidance in such matters.

If the CA DOJ really is to give guidance in two weeks it will be interesting to see what they say.

It is in writing. A judge ruled that the bullet button met the definition of a fixed magazine by the way the law was written, hence the new law that is causing the changes to the current legal magazine release. The Legislature sought to remove the bullet button exception. IOW, the bullet button is gone, either by going RAW (if allowed) or ARMaglok. The bullet button as is will no longer fit the definition.

In regards to the new mag lock, I have purchased one and tried it on my AR and it is downright scary. You cannot separate the upper and the lower with the bolt open because the bolt goes in to the buffer tube so the action must be closed. If you have not shot your complete magazine you must either eject all the live rounds then close the locked open action or separate the upper and lower with a live round in the chamber. I've seen entirely too many guys fumbling with their AR's as they learn how to work it. Add in these new complications, especially with a live round chambered and it is an accidental discharge waiting to happen. Maybe at the range, maybe at home as they prep thier rifle for transport. Scary stuff

Last edited:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I guess I'm not seeing the (huge) risk of an accidental discharge if the rifle is on safe and you separate the upper. Obviously it's best to have an empty chamber.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013

Im gonna be that guy and tell you to go for the CZ Scorpio. I think their pretty cool looking and I read they break down to a hand full of parts.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Relevant update given the discussion of 9mm rifles...

Tax stamp back, upper engraved, and we finally have a MP5 as the good lord intended it. Now if I could just find where the hell I put the rear push pin all would be good in the world.

20161004_220111.jpg

Reactions: herm0016

Jerem

May 25, 2014
I guess I'm not seeing the (huge) risk of an accidental discharge if the rifle is on safe and you separate the upper. Obviously it's best to have an empty chamber.

I don't disagree with that if it is on safe. Enough people cant seem to grasp safe gun handling as it is that I am thinking they are going to forget to put it on safe or accidently take the safety off as they manipulate it. If you care to, with your rifle on safe, try chambering a round and then separating the upper and lower before you remove the magazine. I found it to very awkward to keep pointed in a safe direction.. And after you remove the magazine put it back together don't forget to eject the live round, all the while keeping it pointed in a safe direction.. I also can imagine someone forgetting to eject the live round after dropping the magazine. YMMV

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Scored a deal on an RMR and a set of suppressor height sights for the new Glock 40, so I guess it is decided that I am committing to an optic.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
My $350 RMR is here and I used a nylon punch to get a set of trijicon suppressor sights installed, now I just have to get it out and zero the RMR.

gxmIFSo.jpg

Compared to my other pistol with an RMR, my FNX45 tactical -

EKWXUlC.jpg

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Well finally got a new weapon a Saiga 12 shotgun... :cool: Traded a stainless Berreta 92FS and an AR15 I built a short time ago (had about $480 in it)...

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
I really need to buy a semi automatic shotgun before they're unobtanium.

That drum looks wicked as hell, how many rounds does it hold?

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
20 each... The clip holds 10 each... :D

I kinda felt a bit shorted when I first looked at it because of the way the receiver is built (stamped parts) but this is an older weapon which it is actually a Russian built if I am not mistaken...? It was one of the first that came into the country which should be long before they started building them here in the US...? (what I am finding out anyhow...?)

It has had about 100 rounds through it and I am about to take it apart and clean it... Might check into some other things for it like a folding stock or...? Other odds and ends...? :cool:

Last edited:

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
I ordered some parts from midway to make my glock 40 problem solver be the solver of more problems. Kriss vector 45 acp mag extension that I am going to mod to make some 30rd 10mm mags. For reasons.

https://youtu.be/uQ8C0a7NXZ4

That's a lot of firepower for a pistol. Let us know how they work out, I may grab a couple before the impending ban. I fully expect mags >10 rounds to be banned in the next few years. Hell, they're supposed to be confiscated in CA in a couple of months.

You inspired me just picked up 3 mags for my FrankenGlock 20/21

Last edited:

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
That's a lot of firepower for a pistol. Let us know how they work out, I may grab a couple before the impending ban. I fully expect mags >10 rounds to be banned in the next few years. Hell, they're supposed to be confiscated in CA in a couple of months.

You inspired me just picked up 3 mags for my FrankenGlock 20/21

Will do, the parts should be here on Friday if they ship out today, and I will be making two mags (gotta have one reload, right?). The process seems pretty easy, and I am no stranger to doing dremel mods.