YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 420 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oops, I was wrong. Digging around the internet it seems neither Sig nor HK have native 10mm's.
People have made plenty of conversion kits for them.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Oops, I was wrong. Digging around the internet it seems neither Sig nor HK have native 10mm's.
People have made plenty of conversion kits for them.

Dan Wesson has one. I think Nighthawk does. There are native 10mm handguns, but they're either incredibly cheapy or incredibly expensive. RIA makes one now, no clue how good it is...

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Tanfoglio is the only company I know of (besides Glock) making 10mm's in the ~$400-600 region. Pretty much everything else is 1911's, typically of the high-end variety.

Witness Steel is nice gun for the money. Basically the spiritual successor to the original Bren Ten.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
10mm is neat...but not worth it IMO, in no small part due to the main pistol being a glock. I know there are 1911 versions, but they're far from affordable really...and .45 is easily lethal enough for any purposes of mine. If .45 can't do it (as in, I'm wandering around the wilderness and want something more lethal than bear spray) it'll be my .41 magnum anyway.

What is wrong with Glock? They're decent guns. Reliable, accurate, I can't really find anything to fault them for. I've owned one for years and never had any trouble with it.

sa7an1

Jun 3, 2010
What is wrong with Glock? They're decent guns. Reliable, accurate, I can't really find anything to fault them for. I've owned one for years and never had any trouble with it.

A lot of people do not like the way a Glock feels, the grip doesn't agree with me. I also like a heavier frame when using .45 and up.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I found my new rifle: Mossberg MVP Varmint in 308. Bolt action rifle that accepts AR mags. It's going to make a great range toy! Now to place an order :D

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Dan Wesson has one. I think Nighthawk does. There are native 10mm handguns, but they're either incredibly cheapy or incredibly expensive. RIA makes one now, no clue how good it is...

the Rock Island 10mm 1911 is great. I upgraded the spring in it to a heavier one and now itll shoot hot load 10mm loads perfectly fine. Accurate and well built. its no 3000 dollar 1911 but for the price it is great!

A lot of people do not like the way a Glock feels, the grip doesn't agree with me. I also like a heavier frame when using .45 and up.

Im with you on the glocks. I had the Glock 20. Shot it once and hated it. Shot it again but this time with a different grip and still hated it. Sold it shortly after. Never felt good in my hand. Sold it few months after Sandy hook though and was able to get my money back for it :) Will say it performed flawlessly and worked great while i did have it!

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Glocks made my trigger finger hurt for some reason. I dunno why but that's why I went with the M&P shield for my ccw

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
20140811_070849_zpsjncdo50c.jpg

a buddy dropped of a 1941 build date T38 Mauser large ring

his only instruction was to mess with it

the stock isn't in great shape, and it needs a firing pin

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Is swarovski the only optic company that produces good quality glass that is lightweight (<16oz) medium range (50-400yds for .223/5.56) scopes that would be used for grouping on paper and tiny varmint sized (<3" sometimes hard to see) targets?

Zeiss hd5 conquest comes close, but weighs 18+ oz.
Vortex 2.5-10x32 is almost 19+ oz for less zoom.
Nightforce, S&B, USO, Steiner are all tanks coming in at beyond 24 oz.

I already have a leupold VX2 3-9x33 ultra light scope (~9 oz), but would like more clarity and more magnification.

I guess the only other alternative might be Leupold vx3 4.5-14. I do like the ballistic turret of the swarovski though (color system with zero)... Anyone with experience with both the cds of leupold and by of swarovski?

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
the Rock Island 10mm 1911 is great. I upgraded the spring in it to a heavier one and now itll shoot hot load 10mm loads perfectly fine. Accurate and well built. its no 3000 dollar 1911 but for the price it is great!

Im with you on the glocks. I had the Glock 20. Shot it once and hated it. Shot it again but this time with a different grip and still hated it. Sold it shortly after. Never felt good in my hand. Sold it few months after Sandy hook though and was able to get my money back for it :) Will say it performed flawlessly and worked great while i did have it!
I also have the Glock 20 10mm and I hate the trigger on it, just feels gritty. I much prefer the trigger on my XD Tactical 357sig. In addition, 10mm is a bit too much and it can get a bit unpleasant after 20-30 rounds.

I know there's lots of folks that swear by the 45ACP, but I think a 9mm and particularly the more powerful 9mm in the 357sig is preferred. Not going to change any bodies preference but I'll take velocity/energy over bullet size any day given the fact that modern bullets are designed for the weapon they're shot from.

Brian

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
I'm not a caliber purist, I believe in being handed any weapon and shooting it effectively. First pistol I ever fired was a .40S&W Walther P99...certainly not starting easy. Last time I shot it it felt snappier than I remember, probably because it was being fed 165gr at the time. Heavier guns were better...liked it through a Ruger P94 and I would easily get a P226 chambered for it.

Everything I have now is 9mm for simplicity/cost considerations. When I fired my 9mm SIG Pro along with my brother's XD-45, I would be hard-pressed to tell the difference in recoil. The Glock 30S is on my short list for another carry pistol and I'm liking the idea of a Para Black Ops 14.45/Recon for a first 1911.

357SIG is a nice carry round but the cost floor is ridiculous and I'm not at the point of reloading yet. 10mm would make more sense if the availability was there.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I also have the Glock 20 10mm and I hate the trigger on it, just feels gritty. I much prefer the trigger on my XD Tactical 357sig. In addition, 10mm is a bit too much and it can get a bit unpleasant after 20-30 rounds.

I know there's lots of folks that swear by the 45ACP, but I think a 9mm and particularly the more powerful 9mm in the 357sig is preferred. Not going to change any bodies preference but I'll take velocity/energy over bullet size any day given the fact that modern bullets are designed for the weapon they're shot from.

Brian

have you worked on the trigger on the glock at all?

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
So I'm struggling to resist an impulse purchase.

c2f7f7d4_o.jpeg

These are currently $398 at Bud's. $100+ cheaper than they were ever sold at before. Nothing but positive reviews, and I already own one SAR, which I have found to be a phenomenal value. Paid $270 for what is essentially an improved polymer Witness. How can you beat that?

...Well, a forged steel 14 round .45ACP for $400 sounds like it might be it. The K2 is basically their Tanfoglio-derived version of the CZ97 (which is like an $800 gun). And 'Tanfoglio-derived' sits very well with me; my absolutely favorite firearm is my 9mm Jericho. My love for that gun, however, makes me want to say eff a .45, and make my next firearm purchase a Witness Match, which I've been meaning to buy for a while. Probably in 9mm.

d12c93db_l.jpeg

...but then I look at my pile of CZ-esque 9mm's and figure that I'd have to be crazy to not at least do something a LITTLE different. Even if it IS buying my fourth Turkish CZ-pattern gun.

Stupid bargains.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Local ace hardware got a shipment of .22 in today, and though there was a limit of one per customer, a friend of mine runs the sporting goods section and he bent the rules to allow me to buy one of each kind. The did not get much in, but more for me, less for anyone else. :awe:

0rSmNSl.jpg

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Leave the stock alone, and get a firing pin.

I'm not familiar with the Turkish models (I only have Germans), but these may work:

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=864

I am not sure the K98's work, but I'll check, I bet someone on mauser central will know

Yeah, made it worse with failures to cycle and had to send it in to be returned to stock.

I only occasionally fire it anyway as I much prefer the XD.

Brian

wtf did you do to it man?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Local ace hardware got a shipment of .22 in today, and though there was a limit of one per customer, a friend of mine runs the sporting goods section and he bent the rules to allow me to buy one of each kind. The did not get much in, but more for me, less for anyone else. :awe:

Price for those .22LR?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Blargh, I still don't have a Tanfo and I <3 9mm, so I think I'm just gonna buy this, instead. Been wanting a steel compact.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=435540246

I've never used Gunbroker before. Anything to watch out for?

Not really. It's basically the ebay of guns. They do have a going-going-gone system where once time runs out the auction continues, resetting a 15 minute countdown for each new bid. Effectively prevents sniping.

Beyond that it's just like buying online from any other FFL/private seller. Just make sure you've got someone with good ratings to be safe (and it appears you do).