YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 421 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
anyone have scope recommendations for a 308? weaver mount.
What use? What range? What size targets? Do you need low light capabilities?

S&B, USO, night force, swarovski, leupold vx6, Zeiss, all have nice offerings. My requirement is for lightweight so all but Zeiss and swarovski are out in my case... If you don't mind 24-36oz scopes, your options are endless. If you don't need lowlight capabilities, your options expand tremendously and cost drops below $1k.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
wtf did you do to it man?

Well, it's been maybe 5-6 years since I first worked on it for the trigger problem and I don't remember all that was done but seem to remember buying a kit to improve the trigger. I wish I could remember all that was done but in the end the trigger wasn't any better and it failed to cycle properly. I think there may have been a different recoil spring, but my memory after 5-6 years isn't so good.

Last year I brought it to a gunsmith but I haven't fired it since then so maybe it's better. I expect to hit the range within the next month and plan to test it then...

Still, no matter how good the trigger is or how well it cycles it's still a little too much to avoid some flinch response. The 357sig is more powerful than a 9mm or even a p+ 9mm but I have no flinch issue with it and the trigger is much better.

Brian

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
anyone have scope recommendations for a 308? weaver mount.

What is your price range?

Since no one has mentioned it, Vortex. The HD Gen 2s are getting very good reviews and comparing nicely to scopes costing $1-$2K more. I have their 1-6. Their glass and mechanism is Japanese not German, but it's world class. They are, however, extremely heavy.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
What use? What range? What size targets? Do you need low light capabilities?

S&B, USO, night force, swarovski, leupold vx6, Zeiss, all have nice offerings. My requirement is for lightweight so all but Zeiss and swarovski are out in my case... If you don't mind 24-36oz scopes, your options are endless. If you don't need lowlight capabilities, your options expand tremendously and cost drops below $1k.

<400yds, daytime, sporting clays, no low light

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003

Static clays at 400 yds?

Depends really on how much you want to spend. The biggest factor driving scope cost is transmission efficiency of the glass.

The other questions are: Will you ever shoot at varying distances so that you need a reticle with holdover ticks? Will you ever need to range with the reticle?

Depending on how much of a challenge you want, a typical sporting clay is 4" wide, so an 8X scope would make it like look like a 4" target at 25 yards.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
OK so not long range shooting. Sporting clays are like 5" in diameter right? I would say the 3-9, 2.5-10, 4-12, scopes would be good if you like variable zoom optics. Otherwise, a 6x, or 10x, or 16x fixed scope could be an option if you don't care for variable scopes. There are so many good brands out there $300- $1200. Vortex PST, leupold vx2 and vx3, Bushnell elite, Zeiss conquest, swfa come immediately to mind. price depends on, reticle design, tube diameter, cosmetics, weight, hunting vs tactical turrets, parallax adjustments, and glass quality.

Now, if you have noticed that at 400 yds, your clays are kind of hard to see, you may want to get a scope with more magnification (10-15x top end), better glass, larger objective. This is hard for us to answer because it depends highly on your eyesight and environment at the range.

Anything more than 8x zoom gets kinda hard to use off hand due to shakiness holding the rifle. If u have a bench, then this isn't an issue.

I guess at the top of my list of candidates in no particular order would be swfa ss 10x or 16x, swfa 3-9, leupold vx2 3-9x33 ultralight, leupold vx3 4.5-14, Bushnell 6500 elite 2.5-16, vortex PST 2.5-10.

I like magnification so I'd probably favor the Bushnell due to its decent glass and wide mag range for the price. 2.5 is useful inside of 40 yards, it has parallax adjustment, and 16x will help you actually see what you are trying to shoot.

Last edited:

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
SR40c has a little cousin

2014_08_16_20_59_32.jpg

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Anyone looking for a deal on a pocket pistol? Ordered one of these for my wife a couple days ago.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1853/products_id/716006274/180+Days+to+Pay

If you're down with Ruger and .380s, that's damn good value right there. Comes with the holster that turns on the laser when you draw it too.

<3 the Elsie Pea. Not really a fun gun to shoot but great for it's intended purpose. I would strongly recommend upgrading the recoil springs to the strongest Wolff set (13 lb iirc?) and getting the larger hogue grip for it, the one that's held in place by a roll pin instead of just being slip on.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Good deal to pass along: Springfield Armory is shipping three free mags and a mag pouch on their Gearup promotion if you buy any pistol from August 1 until the end of October.

http://gearup.springfield-armory.com/Gearup.asp

Depending on the bundle, you'd have 5-6 magazines just from initial purchase. I might have to add an XDm to my collection.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
OK so not long range shooting. Sporting clays are like 5" in diameter right? I would say the 3-9, 2.5-10, 4-12, scopes would be good if you like variable zoom optics. Otherwise, a 6x, or 10x, or 16x fixed scope could be an option if you don't care for variable scopes. There are so many good brands out there $300- $1200. Vortex PST, leupold vx2 and vx3, Bushnell elite, Zeiss conquest, swfa come immediately to mind. price depends on, reticle design, tube diameter, cosmetics, weight, hunting vs tactical turrets, parallax adjustments, and glass quality.

Now, if you have noticed that at 400 yds, your clays are kind of hard to see, you may want to get a scope with more magnification (10-15x top end), better glass, larger objective. This is hard for us to answer because it depends highly on your eyesight and environment at the range.

Anything more than 8x zoom gets kinda hard to use off hand due to shakiness holding the rifle. If u have a bench, then this isn't an issue.

I guess at the top of my list of candidates in no particular order would be swfa ss 10x or 16x, swfa 3-9, leupold vx2 3-9x33 ultralight, leupold vx3 4.5-14, Bushnell 6500 elite 2.5-16, vortex PST 2.5-10.

I like magnification so I'd probably favor the Bushnell due to its decent glass and wide mag range for the price. 2.5 is useful inside of 40 yards, it has parallax adjustment, and 16x will help you actually see what you are trying to shoot.

thanks for all the input! i did a lot of looking and the nikon monarch 3 2.5-10x42 seems like a pretty good scope all around, so that's what i'm going to go with :)

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
You ever shoot one of those? I have a .32 ACP Beretta Tomcat that is an absolutely miserable gun to shoot.

Yep, and I don't consider it useful without some sort of after market grip like the Hogue (which along with an different recoil was actually order prior to the gun :)
It's for my wife though, I've been allowed to have many other toys lately. She picks up that green dot waaaay easier than a red one. XDs is about as small as I'm willing to go, grip wise.

I only own one gun in .32ACP, a CZ officers model produced during the Nazi Occupation. Ugly little thing, heavy for it's size and not terribly accurate. I've haven't shot it in a long time, but I don't recall it being too snappy, no doubt thanks to the thick all metal design.
Generally I don't care much for the .32,

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Guys need your help again- I'm looking for a 12 gauge shot gun, mainly for home defense. I'm not a member of a club which has sporting clays available at this time, so it really only needs one purpose.

I would like to attach a flashlight and potentially a shoulder sling if possible. I also live in CT where we have the "assault weapon" ban which makes have a pistol grip on a semi auto shotgun a felony *sigh* so keep that in mind.

I'm considering the Mossberg Model 930

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Guys need your help again- I'm looking for a 12 gauge shot gun, mainly for home defense. I'm not a member of a club which has sporting clays available at this time, so it really only needs one purpose.

I would like to attach a flashlight and potentially a shoulder sling if possible. I also live in CT where we have the "assault weapon" ban which makes have a pistol grip on a semi auto shotgun a felony *sigh* so keep that in mind.

I'm considering the Mossberg Model 930
I'm eyeing the same shotgun, although perhaps with a pistol grip. I'm sorry your legislators are stupid. :(

I assume the barrel can be swapped out to a longer one for something other than home defense?

edit: looked around and there's a 18.5"/28" barrel combo. :D

Last edited:

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Gander Mountain has it locally for $50 than CTD, so I'd rather buy there. That begs two questions, why not CTD, and what other online vendors should I check?

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Gander Mountain has it locally for $50 than CTD, so I'd rather buy there. That begs two questions, why not CTD, and what other online vendors should I check?

Bud's the big one. But if you check Slickguns, you'll find that there are quite a few similar retailers out there now- i.e. they have decent selections and everything can be done online (they have pre-filed FFL's for most larger areas).