YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Oh, you'd want the stainless elite? Well with that you're probably going to be spending $4-500 more than you would on a CZ (instead of $2-300 more like I was thinking of for a standard P226).

More than I'd recommend spending on a first gun. YMMV.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Yeah. :(

Seems kinda crazy to me too. I dunno.

Anyway, I've been reading about bore axis and I'm wodering if you guys actually notice a large enough difference between low and high bore axis guns for it to matter.

That's as subjective as it gets. Largely depends on the shooter's physique/hand size/technique/etc. Overall lower bore axis = better for followup shots as there's less leverage/induced rotation relative to a higher bore axis, but the advantage can largely be negated through training. I'd say the difference is akin to power windows vs hand-crank windows on a car. Uless you take it to extremes like the Chiappa Rhino: http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/75

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
That's the only thing that worries me about the sig, I hear a lot of people bitching about its high bore axis.

There are haters for every gun type, even legends like Glock and Sig. In terms of record, the Sig P226 and other variations are among the most proven designs on the planet, used everywhere from local law enforcement to Navy SEALS. The people who bitch about Sig's bore axis likely suck at shooting and are looking for an excuse.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Heh, i suppose so. I think I posted a poll in like 3-4 other gun forums between the CZ 75B and the Sig P226, and the CZ 75B won by a lot in each forum. I will probbaly wait for it, but i may just spring the extra dough for the sig if i get really impatient or something.

Polls on guns is just silly. Everyone is totally different and theres to many factors. Like for a budget minded guy...something like a cz would win. For history i would say sig's name has a bit more to it than cz. Then theres just reliability (which is debated by many, though mine has worked flawlessly for 1k+ rounds so far). Plus feel of the guns, ect ect.

Before you buy anything if you cant test shoot at least go hold the guns and see which feels the best. In my case it was the sig but for my friend he loved the xdm.

As for accuracy i consider myself a decent shot and can put 15 rounds in a 8" circle at 10 yards while more rapid shooting then carefully aiming after each shot with my 226. If i carefully aim i can put em in probably a 4" circle (minus one that always seems to be the oddball shot :p). So dont think this high bore axis or whatever effects things to much (in fact thats the first id ever even heard of it)

As for me...i got money burning a hole in my pocket (well a decent amount..~3k) so time to pick my new guns! THinking an AR/Sig556 for sure then im undecided. Maybe a 10mm or .41 or a classic 686 or something. Or maybe ill get a 1911 finally >.< Or maybe a m&p shield....to many choices

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Yeah. :(

Seems kinda crazy to me too. I dunno.

Anyway, I've been reading about bore axis and I'm wodering if you guys actually notice a large enough difference between low and high bore axis guns for it to matter.

If you want a Sig without spending as much look at the SP2022. You can get it with a stainless slide but it's polymer framed so no all stainless version.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
As for me...i got money burning a hole in my pocket (well a decent amount..~3k) so time to pick my new guns! THinking an AR/Sig556 for sure then im undecided. Maybe a 10mm or .41 or a classic 686 or something. Or maybe ill get a 1911 finally >.< Or maybe a m&p shield....to many choices

I can say that .41 is a GREAT round to shoot, and while I love my Dirty Harry gun, .41 is more fun. Hurts like hell to shoot though...I rarely shoot more than 36 magnum rounds in one visit to the range. Also, with 41 you MUST get into reloading, it's impractical otherwise and you'll find yourself with hard cast lead rounds...which are nasty.

I want 10mm next, really. I just don't want it in a plastic legoblock form (err, I mean glock) and don't want to shell out the money for a proper 1911 designed around it ($2k or more.)

Maybe I'll just finally buy a Browning HiPower.

With Sig, I again point out that people claim their quality has dropped in recent years. Personally, I see no need to own a Sig, though a 226 would be neat - I have other guns on my list.

I plan to buy a Mossberg 500 this month (go home defense) and a Fulton Armory Scout M1 Carbine soon as well (but that's not now, it's a $1500 gun) - to heck with buying a AR15, I'll take .30 carbine over 5.56.

Last edited:

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
I can say that .41 is a GREAT round to shoot, and while I love my Dirty Harry gun, .41 is more fun. Hurts like hell to shoot though...I rarely shoot more than 36 magnum rounds in one visit to the range. Also, with 41 you MUST get into reloading, it's impractical otherwise and you'll find yourself with hard cast lead rounds...which are nasty.

Already into reloading so not a big deal there. Only thing would be its just more to have around the house brass wise and bullet wise. Its definitely on my shorter list but we will see.

I want 10mm next, really. I just don't want it in a plastic legoblock form (err, I mean glock) and don't want to shell out the money for a proper 1911 designed around it ($2k or more.)

Im wanting a 10mm more and more for my next "oddball" caliber gun. Mostly since it shares reloading stuff with 40SW and thats what my dad shots so we can reload his stuff as well.

Biggest problem is just finding a good gun in 10mm anymore. The glock 20 seems to be the most popular and the cheapest (at sub 600) so we will see.

I plan to buy a Mossberg 500 this month (go home defense) and a Fulton Armory Scout M1 Carbine soon as well (but that's not now, it's a $1500 gun) - to heck with buying a AR15, I'll take .30 carbine over 5.56.

Look for the mossberg "silver" combo (18.5" barrel and 26" barrel). I got mine for i think 30 bucks more than the standard one. Unless of your your going for the no stock model. The combo makes for a nice backup hunting/skeet gun if you have a friend who doesnt own a shotgun.

5.56 is just so cheap and readily available i cant no have one gun in it. Still plenty others i want down the road. mini-14, m1a, a 300WM caliber rifle, and probably more but for now thats all. Just nice ot be able to shot my friends ammo haha

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Indiana has no limitations. :awe:

Guess that's an option. I wonder if it's worth getting the short reset trigger and all that extra bullshit the Elite version comes with.

Is your life in danger? If so plan that out.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

Guess that's an option. I wonder if it's worth getting the short reset trigger and all that extra bullshit the Elite version comes with.

You can get Sig to install the SRT package if you care that much. The gun you linked has basically the same feature set as my P226 and it shoots just fine.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Keep in mind Sig mags are pretty expensive.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Pistol-Magazines-Pistol-Clips/BI.aspx?Keywords=Sig+P226+magazine

As for the few cheap listings there, those are largely Promags. Avoid Promag, unless you want to flip a coin for $15. In my experience promags either work really well; or really, really suck in about equal proportions.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Meh, get a Colt Delta Elite. Recently resurrected. :)

I think the Dan Wesson is better.

First they use a ramped fully supported barrel. Everyone who makes a 10mm uses a ramped barrel now, except Colt. Less risk of a case blowout since 10mm operates at almost twice the pressure of a .45. Also better for your brass since a fully supported barrel keeps the brass from bulging. The most powerful 10mm ammo you can buy says not to use it in a Delta Elite.

Second, better quality parts. No mim parts in a Dan Wesson.

Third, it's has the style of parts most people prefer Beavertail grip safety, Novak style sights, flat mainspring housing, and extended thumb safety.

Fourth, Dan Wesson has a cleaner look. Colts look like a billboard with their name hugely stamped on the side.

Lastly, Dan Wesson's are know for having the tightest tolerances outside of a custom hand fitted gun.

Last edited:

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010

For the P226, I didn't think the SRT was really necessary. The stock trigger is pretty good and doesn't need a lot of room to reset especially if your hands are somewhat large. It might be worth it in the P239, which has a rather significant reset travel for a compact pistol. For me I had to move my finger a bit forward from my natural rest to reset the trigger.