YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 438 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Depends on the style you are looking for

http://www.gunsandammo.com/gun-culture/10-best-rimfire-guns-right-now/

CZ and Savage Arms are good bang for buck.

What's the budget though, this changes everything?

Unfortunately, I need to be a little vague at the moment, as I'm really not too sure what I want. Haha! I originally asked so I could get some ideas.

For the price range, I'd say under $300, but I'd like to spend as little as possible, but still buy a decent quality product. For example, I'm not going to get a complete piece of crap just because it's cheaper. On the contrary, I don't want to spend $300 when I could spend $100 for nearly the same quality. I hope that makes sense.

As far as style, I still don't really know. An AR-15 clone would be cool, but I'm not opposed to something more traditional. Just trying to get some ideas for now. :)

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Dang, that looks like a good deal (the Gearhog one for a $59 trust). I'm considering creating a trust for the acquisition of a suppressor. So for the Gearhog deal, I'm wondering after you order the trust and complete it, you just turn in that paperwork with the suppressor paperwork?

Basically you make the trust completely seperate from a NFA/Class III purchase. have the trust ready to go. make a copy of it. Go to your local Class III dealer (or whoever will be doing your purchase) and give them a copy of your trust. They fill out the Form 1/4 (depending what you get). You sign a few places. Write a $200 check to the BATFE and mail it off.

If you efile its a bit different but same general idea. Except the trust needs to be scanned into the PC

Can anyone recommend a "good but cheap" 22lr rifle to practice with?

300 will get you a pretty good 22 to practice with. Savage makes some great 22 bolt guns for that price. CZ might be on the higher end but they are great too. A ruger american rimfire is a good option. A ruger 10/22 is great too!

Ive shot all of those. The CZ was a 455 though so bit out of your price range. The 10/22 is pretty accurate and gives you semi-auto fun! The Ruger American Rimefire is more accurate than my 10/22 and lets ya practice proper shooting techniques.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
So not sure about anyone else trying the Buds gun shop black friday deals. but many of us are really pissed at what they did.

Advertised a Canik and TISAS pistol both for $99 and a 12ga shotgun for $49. I figured the site would be hammered. The sale stated quantities limited until in stock supply runs out. So I'm thinking there isn't much of a chance of getting one. The number available for sale at that price wasn't mentioned, which has been a big no-no for a long time. FTC made it a law to at least list the minimum of a limited quantity sale like this in the advertisement. Which wasn't listed, but oh well.

Okay, at 10 minutes until 8am eastern, their site crashes. And continues to crash and go up and then crash again. They only have a single host with Rackspace out of Dallas. They were barely getting 10,000 concurrent users and the site was going down. The actual special sale items were not listed or clickable on the site until 8:00am EST exactly. So there was no way to add to your cart prior to that time. I managed to add a pistol to my cart right at the start of 8am, but as soon as I tried to purchase it the site went crashing down. I was refreshing constantly and get to see my cart with the $99 pistol in the cart. At this point I'm thinking YES! I got one. I start trying to check out and skip the FFL dealer selection process. Then the site does down again. I manage to get to the final check out screen 5 or 6 minutes after the start of the event and right before I purchased the pistol the price was listed at full $339 price. I was like WTF??? I almost made the purchase and from what I've read of other customers across the net the past two days, many people were charged full price for the gun because they didn't notice the price in their cart had the pistol show up as full price instead of the black friday price. Top that off, buds has a 10% cancellation fee and many people are complaining trying to get a full refund for that.

Well for me, since the pistol was gone, I tried to get back to the black friday specials page on their site. After a few minutes I get back to that page and both pistols are listed as out of stock for the $99 price, but they are both available at full price with many in stock at that price. The shotgun was showing up still as $49. I added it to my cart and went through the painful process of trying to check out while the site kept crashing and coming back up. Again I get to the final payment screen after several minutes more to be given an OOS notice on the shotgun before I can finish buying it. This was about 12-15 minutes after the start of the event.

I don't mind missing out on the deal, but I am thoroughly pissed at the blatant bait and switch tactic they pulled. From what I can tell, no one has been able to provide proof of being able to buy either pistol and only seen one screencap of the shotgun being purchased by someone on the net. Buds tried to say on their facebook page that the last shotgun was sold at 8:40 am, which was complete bullshit based on my experience with their system.

The fact they were prepared for the increased surge in traffic was annoying. The fact I didn't get the items was annoying, but not a big deal. The lack of a reservation system that is tied to available inventory when a customer adds one of the special items on sale to their cart is a massive annoyance. Still all of those were annoyances I could deal with except the fact that Buds did a blatant bait and switch in charging customers full price on an item they thought they were getting at the sale price. That is highly illegal according to the FTC. I went ahead and wrote the FTC about that episode. Not sure what will come out of that, and really don't care overall If the FTC investigates and slaps them with a fine or not doesn't really matter to me in the end, although having them hit in the face with a fine over this fiasco would be funny.

I would have been more pissed had I not caught the price switch at the last screen before making a purchase. I would be furious and hiring a lawyer over that. The lies they were doing and the trolling the company was doing afterwards also just cemented to me the decision to never do business with them again. I had purchased my Girsan and my SR22 from them previously, but those are my last purchases from them ever. Makes them on a very short black list of vendors I'll never do business with again and won't ever recommend to anyone. That list includes Dicks Sporting Goods and Cheaper Than Dirt.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Side note, I bought a pretty sweet AR15 upper.

https://www.taurusdiamondbackdistributors.com/eSource3.1/Upper_Receivers/p/DB_244.aspx

diamond back uppers were on sale for 40% off with shipping only being like $7. So the 9" barrel guard was only $202 shipped or something like that. It's the same upper on their regular DB15R fully assembled AR15 firearm that is very well reviewed. Looked to be an excellent deal to me.

That and the Hi Point carbines on sale at Kentucky Gun Co for $230+ depending on what caliber and accessories you want with the base model.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Humble -
You arent the only one ive heard complain of Bud's on black friday. Dont think ANYONE was happy with them.

Those look like decent uppers for the price as well!

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Can anyone recommend a "good but cheap" 22lr rifle to practice with?

Rifle: Marlin Model 60, ~$150-175 new, with a very good chance of getting a good deal on a used one if you look around

Pistol: Ruger Mk II or III, $250-300+ new (Mk III only, depends on model)

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
I was thinking about getting that same one, less than $400 shipped but the compatible issue with regular AK-47 mags is holding me back.

And PSA is selling out a lot of items already, especially 9mm ammo.

I'll let you know how I like it once I get it. It is my first, though, so take it for what it's worth. The fact that it's my first AK or variant helped; I don't have to worry about compatibility because I don't have anything else for it to be incompatible with!

That being said, I just ordered 800 rounds of 7.62 x 39 from Cabela's for a little over 22 cents a round. It's Herter's (supposedly reboxed Russian/Ukrainian non-corrosive, steel cased) at $4.49 a box with free shipping. The have FMJ and HP.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hertersreg-762x39-Rifle-Ammunition/755646.uts

Lowest price for non-corrosive ammo that's easy to get I've found.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Part of my collection of crap...:wub: (just to update todays post)

BORING, too many ARs ;).

I'm in the process of trying to decide what I want to get myself for Christmas; either get a Russian Capture P38, or trade in my Century Built AKMS Towards a higher end AK Sidefolder.

Decisions Decisions...

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
BORING, too many ARs ;).

I'm in the process of trying to decide what I want to get myself for Christmas; either get a Russian Capture P38, or trade in my Century Built AKMS Towards a higher end AK Sidefolder.

Decisions Decisions...

Haha... Only 2 of them are 223/5.56 the 3rd one from the left and the 2nd one from the right... The rest are a 300 Blackout far left with a 6.8 mini 14 just to its right and the 4th one from the left is a AR10 308 (Ruger) and the far right is a 12ga shotgun (made like an AR15) Oh and please do not even get me into the pistols in that pic...:p

Just to change the subject I too am looking for an AK Sidefolder as well... I think I have enough of the AR type guns so now its on to AK's and other stuff... I used to have like 3 SK's and a couple of AK's but time and money sorta depleted them from me...:(

Oh do now have a 5.7X28mm rifle as of now too... Damn thing holds like 50 rounds in each mag...

Bartman39

Jul 4, 2000
Yes that is or should I say was a TP-9...:p A rather cheap POS in my opinion... They are just not of the quality that I am used to with Smith & Wesson, Ruger & Springfield oh and of course Sig Sauer...

BTW I sold it about 3 months ago come to think of it and bought a Ruger Super redhawk 44 mag with about twice what I had sold it for... (the TP-9 that is)

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
So not sure about anyone else trying the Buds gun shop black friday deals. but many of us are really pissed at what they did.

Advertised a Canik and TISAS pistol both for $99 and a 12ga shotgun for $49. I figured the site would be hammered. The sale stated quantities limited until in stock supply runs out. So I'm thinking there isn't much of a chance of getting one. The number available for sale at that price wasn't mentioned, which has been a big no-no for a long time. FTC made it a law to at least list the minimum of a limited quantity sale like this in the advertisement. Which wasn't listed, but oh well.

Okay, at 10 minutes until 8am eastern, their site crashes. And continues to crash and go up and then crash again. They only have a single host with Rackspace out of Dallas. They were barely getting 10,000 concurrent users and the site was going down. The actual special sale items were not listed or clickable on the site until 8:00am EST exactly. So there was no way to add to your cart prior to that time. I managed to add a pistol to my cart right at the start of 8am, but as soon as I tried to purchase it the site went crashing down. I was refreshing constantly and get to see my cart with the $99 pistol in the cart. At this point I'm thinking YES! I got one. I start trying to check out and skip the FFL dealer selection process. Then the site does down again. I manage to get to the final check out screen 5 or 6 minutes after the start of the event and right before I purchased the pistol the price was listed at full $339 price. I was like WTF??? I almost made the purchase and from what I've read of other customers across the net the past two days, many people were charged full price for the gun because they didn't notice the price in their cart had the pistol show up as full price instead of the black friday price. Top that off, buds has a 10% cancellation fee and many people are complaining trying to get a full refund for that.

Well for me, since the pistol was gone, I tried to get back to the black friday specials page on their site. After a few minutes I get back to that page and both pistols are listed as out of stock for the $99 price, but they are both available at full price with many in stock at that price. The shotgun was showing up still as $49. I added it to my cart and went through the painful process of trying to check out while the site kept crashing and coming back up. Again I get to the final payment screen after several minutes more to be given an OOS notice on the shotgun before I can finish buying it. This was about 12-15 minutes after the start of the event.

I don't mind missing out on the deal, but I am thoroughly pissed at the blatant bait and switch tactic they pulled. From what I can tell, no one has been able to provide proof of being able to buy either pistol and only seen one screencap of the shotgun being purchased by someone on the net. Buds tried to say on their facebook page that the last shotgun was sold at 8:40 am, which was complete bullshit based on my experience with their system.

The fact they were prepared for the increased surge in traffic was annoying. The fact I didn't get the items was annoying, but not a big deal. The lack of a reservation system that is tied to available inventory when a customer adds one of the special items on sale to their cart is a massive annoyance. Still all of those were annoyances I could deal with except the fact that Buds did a blatant bait and switch in charging customers full price on an item they thought they were getting at the sale price. That is highly illegal according to the FTC. I went ahead and wrote the FTC about that episode. Not sure what will come out of that, and really don't care overall If the FTC investigates and slaps them with a fine or not doesn't really matter to me in the end, although having them hit in the face with a fine over this fiasco would be funny.

I would have been more pissed had I not caught the price switch at the last screen before making a purchase. I would be furious and hiring a lawyer over that. The lies they were doing and the trolling the company was doing afterwards also just cemented to me the decision to never do business with them again. I had purchased my Girsan and my SR22 from them previously, but those are my last purchases from them ever. Makes them on a very short black list of vendors I'll never do business with again and won't ever recommend to anyone. That list includes Dicks Sporting Goods and Cheaper Than Dirt.

they had DISTINCT items for black Friday

and the same items, on sale, but not doorbuster on sale, as well

that's not a bait and switch, IMO

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
they had DISTINCT items for black Friday

and the same items, on sale, but not doorbuster on sale, as well

that's not a bait and switch, IMO

Dude, I was the one doing it.

I saw they had a distinct item, which is what I said in my story. The item sku was activated at exactly 8am EST. I clicked that item to add to cart. It was added and showed Black Friday Special Item for $99 in my cart. I got through the check out process and on the last screen to confirm payment the price had jumped up to full price. That is BAIT AND SWITCH.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Dude, I was the one doing it.

I saw they had a distinct item, which is what I said in my story. The item sku was activated at exactly 8am EST. I clicked that item to add to cart. It was added and showed Black Friday Special Item for $99 in my cart. I got through the check out process and on the last screen to confirm payment the price had jumped up to full price. That is BAIT AND SWITCH.

I did not have the same experience, it just showed it OOS and kicked it out of my cart.

It was probably related to serious traffic issues they had, and not an intential bait and switch from an other reputable retailer. unless we find out tons more had your issue, of course

Ive mostly read complaints about getting the cloudfire pages constantly

I wasn't surprised, they aren't a big e-retailer like amazon or newegg

Last edited:

Bartman39

Jul 4, 2000
You got rid of the good big boomer.

Oh yea I did and to tell the truth I am glad I did... Fricking 50cal at $4K with scope and 750 rounds of ammo... I mean like damn it was a cannon and that was just to haul it around...;)

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I did not have the same experience, it just showed it OOS and kicked it out of my cart.

It was probably related to serious traffic issues they had, and not an intential bait and switch from an other reputable retailer. unless we find out tons more had your issue, of course

Ive mostly read complaints about getting the cloudfire pages constantly

I wasn't surprised, they aren't a big e-retailer like amazon or newegg

There were several people complaining on he slickguns forums, high road, and defensive carry and a few other forums. Many did get hit with that. They added the black friday special item to the cart. Saw the $99 price show up in the cart initially and tried to check out. They get to the final check out screen and many didn't see the price go up to $339. So they got screwed over and were on hold for hours calling or trying to contact buds. Buds took down their customer service and contact US form page for the rest of that day.

Why they didn't have a reservation system in place for a "limited" inventory selection is beyond me. So that the moment it is in the cart then it is yours to purchase within a limited time frame.If not purchased it becomes available again for anyone. This is basically how Amazon runs their lightning deals and most other decent etailers run their online limited sale specials. It's not even hard code to get and setup for a website.

The legal problem they face is those customers that were charged full price as the last moment when the system previously showed them the lesser price for the item in their cart. Whether done intentionally or not, it is a bait and switch by FTC regulations. It's a big no no what they did.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Does Academy Sports have decent/comparable prices? Friends wife wants to get him a gift card. I haven't shopped for a pistol in a long time.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Does Academy Sports have decent/comparable prices? Friends wife wants to get him a gift card. I haven't shopped for a pistol in a long time.

They are ok pricewise. Not as cheap as PSA and internet gun/ammo vendors but pretty decent for B+M store. Better price than Bass Pro and Dicks from my experience.

I usually wait until Fall of each year and make a short drive to Lousiana to get guns and ammo without any sale tax (2nd Ammend Sale). More info = http://taxtopics.revenue.louisiana.gov/tag/annual-louisiana-second-amendment-sales-tax-holiday/

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
They are ok pricewise. Not as cheap as PSA and internet gun/ammo vendors but pretty decent for B+M store. Better price than Bass Pro and Dicks from my experience.

I usually wait until Fall of each year and make a short drive to Lousiana to get guns and ammo without any sale tax (2nd Ammend Sale). More info = http://taxtopics.revenue.louisiana.gov/tag/annual-louisiana-second-amendment-sales-tax-holiday/

They tend to have very good prices there.
Thanks, Guys.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Thanks, Guys.

I've purchased a few guns from Academy, and plenty of ammo. They tend to be the cheapest on ammo most of the time. You can find cheaper online sales here and there, but if you need something now and they have it in stock, it's usually cheaper at Academy than anywhere else I've seen.

They have decent Black Friday specials on firearms too from time to time. I purchased my Taurus 92AF from them on a black friday special a few years back. Was like $300 or so at the time and a darn good deal. Bought my Taurus Millennium Pro 111 as well from them last year on Black Friday special for like $250 I think. Bought my Bushmaster XM15, and Sig 556R from them as well too although that was after the sandy hook scare.

They didn't ever try to price gouge their ammo nor guns and ran their business very well during the "panic" time frame when everyone was trying to buy everything. So I like to give them my business as I can.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I've purchased a few guns from Academy, and plenty of ammo. They tend to be the cheapest on ammo most of the time. You can find cheaper online sales here and there, but if you need something now and they have it in stock, it's usually cheaper at Academy than anywhere else I've seen.

They have decent Black Friday specials on firearms too from time to time. I purchased my Taurus 92AF from them on a black friday special a few years back. Was like $300 or so at the time and a darn good deal. Bought my Taurus Millennium Pro 111 as well from them last year on Black Friday special for like $250 I think. Bought my Bushmaster XM15, and Sig 556R from them as well too although that was after the sandy hook scare.

They didn't ever try to price gouge their ammo nor guns and ran their business very well during the "panic" time frame when everyone was trying to buy everything. So I like to give them my business as I can.
Good to know.

He wants a revolver for Christmas. The easiest thing for him to do is go buy what he wants and let her pay for it but I guess they're trying to do the present exchange thing.

I really need a scope for my Mini-14. Might have to go by there and gift myself.:p