YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 426 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Anytime a handgun changes ownership across state lines, a FFL MUST process the transfer. That's federal law. So your dad will need to find a gun store/FFL holder near him, you will ship the gun to them, and they will do the paperwork for him.

if hes not selling it, and just long term loaning it to his dad, its different-ish

http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

Ricky Spanish

May 20, 2013
The kids.

20" A4 AR-15 :

Factory built BCM complete upper w/ 1:7 twist

Full auto BCG

BCM mod 3 charging handle

BCM mod 3 grip

Detachable carry handle

Windham weaponry lower with a rock river stock.

ISSC MK22 16" folder, very fun plinker that functions great as long as you keep it lubed and clean after range time, just wish the mags were not so much. ( $47 shipped ).

syeBrcD.jpg

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
if hes not selling it, and just long term loaning it to his dad, its different-ish

http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

So dad can't even accept the package from the shipper, unless the definition of "take possession" is different than what I am thinking.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I read that more as cant open the package, if you cant have someone else accept it, why a rule allowing you to mail it to yourself out of state?

His dad should be able to toss it in a safe in the package or somewhere else safe just fine

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I read that more as cant open the package, if you cant have someone else accept it, why a rule allowing you to mail it to yourself out of state?

His dad should be able to toss it in a safe in the package or somewhere else safe just fine

maybe rather than trying to fly with it or something they allow you to ship it instead? i dunno.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
take possession of the firearm is not the same thing as take possession of the package?

this is why gun laws are fucking stupid

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
http://www.armslist.com/posts/35193...-handguns-for-sale--sig-sauer-p226-in--40-s-w

I'm hoping I'm the first in line to obtain this. Price seems about $100-150 or so too low. Any guesses as to why? I know there's lots of Sig guys here; just want a few extra eyes to see if anything seems fishy.

I don't really want a .40, but they seem to pop up for less money, and AFAIK you can shoot 9mm with nothing more than a conversion barrel.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
http://www.armslist.com/posts/35193...-handguns-for-sale--sig-sauer-p226-in--40-s-w

I'm hoping I'm the first in line to obtain this. Price seems about $100-150 or so too low. Any guesses as to why? I know there's lots of Sig guys here; just want a few extra eyes to see if anything seems fishy.

I don't really want a .40, but they seem to pop up for less money, and AFAIK you can shoot 9mm with nothing more than a conversion barrel.

the seller is unregistered on the site. not sure how they deal with scammers, if at all?

its definitely a used gun.

Last edited:

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Yup, definitely used. CDNN sells quite a few used P226 .40S&W pistols on their site. If this one doesn't work out you should be able to get one there in similar shape easily.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
sold my shield40, bought a kahr cw9

Clean it before shooting it. Grease the slide rails well- this seems to aid operation and also result in less bits of ground up plastic frame being generated during break-in. Don't be too alarmed when it starts to look a little ugly...the Kahr's use the common technique of a few small chunks of hardened steel being the true 'rails'. But rather than having the precise-but-kinda-loose fit of most polymer handguns, Kahr's plastic fits extra tight and basically 'hand fits' itself through shooting. None of the actual metal is being worn to any high degree.

Shoot a minimum of 150-200 rounds through it before carrying it. Should be no reason to not have 100 trouble-free rounds through it before you decide it's dependable. I've actually never even had a legit jam (i.e. FTF/FTE that is technically the gun's fault and not mine) from a Kahr...really all they'll ever get is a feeding jam from not cycling the slide 100%...which is from either not slingshotting the slide (gotta come all the way back...slide lever use should be avoided for at least the first few mags) or limpwristing (shouldn't be an issue with a 9mm).

Good little gun. Trigger is love/hate. Love it for being the best CCW trigger design, hate it for how bad it still makes you shoot. If you shoot some variation of weaver, I recommend a solid deathgrip with the weak hand to avoid dropping the muzzle while you're pulling that long trigger.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Clean it before shooting it. Grease the slide rails well- this seems to aid operation and also result in less bits of ground up plastic frame being generated during break-in. Don't be too alarmed when it starts to look a little ugly...the Kahr's use the common technique of a few small chunks of hardened steel being the true 'rails'. But rather than having the precise-but-kinda-loose fit of most polymer handguns, Kahr's plastic fits extra tight and basically 'hand fits' itself through shooting. None of the actual metal is being worn to any high degree.

Shoot a minimum of 150-200 rounds through it before carrying it. Should be no reason to not have 100 trouble-free rounds through it before you decide it's dependable. I've actually never even had a legit jam (i.e. FTF/FTE that is technically the gun's fault and not mine) from a Kahr...really all they'll ever get is a feeding jam from not cycling the slide 100%...which is from either not slingshotting the slide (gotta come all the way back...slide lever use should be avoided for at least the first few mags) or limpwristing (shouldn't be an issue with a 9mm).

Good little gun. Trigger is love/hate. Love it for being the best CCW trigger design, hate it for how bad it still makes you shoot. If you shoot some variation of weaver, I recommend a solid deathgrip with the weak hand to avoid dropping the muzzle while you're pulling that long trigger.

thanks for the heads up!

I was eying an mk9, but it was just too much $$, same with the pw9. they have nice features, I just cant justify it

I spent all weekend considering the sig p938 that PSA had for 500

bu tit was another 20 in shipping, came with only 1 mag...2 more was like 70 bucks....

was going to feel nickel and dimed on it in the end(they are NICE tho, very compact)

saw this one hit arfcom for a pretty crazy deal and had to bite on, enough that I can probably make $$ on the sale of it if I decide to go another direction

all I need for this is to pick up one spare mag, and my buddy has one he is looking to sell

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks to California's 1 handgun every 30 days rule, I'm down to my final two purchases for the year.

I'm thinking:

Two Sig X-Sixes (Scandic and L1)

or

Sig X-Six (Scandic) and X-Five (L1)

or

Sig X-Six (Scandic) and a P210 Super Target (which I can't seem to find at all)

Which pair would you pick?

For the record, I already have a X-Five Tactical (which I love), a regular P226, a P226 Tacops, and a P226 Elite Dark.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I've heard nothing but good things about the P210. If you can find one I say grab it.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Just took delivery of a geissele tavor trigger. Installed in 30 seconds and the improvement is incredible. Took the 11 lb trigger pull down to 4.5 lbs. I'm quite satisfied!

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Shit!

Fuck you, Bud's Gun Shop Make an Offer damn shit.

I make offers all the time. Always been curious if anything would actually give me a REAL discount; not the typical 'deny everything except ~1-4% below list.'

Was wanting a truly CC'able 9mm, not owning any single stacks anymore. Was gonna just buy another Kahr- they can be had for close to $300 or so for the CW9 or CM9. Saw the P290RS's down to $350 for the basic, black, contrast sights offering. Kahr's faux-double-action is not bad; but Sig's DAO triggers have a lot better feel and I think true DAO or DA/SA is a good feature for a carry gun. So I was a bit on the fence.

I'm a sucker for stainless and Sig's night sights are quite decent, but that model currently lists for over $150 more, at $515. I thought, 'fuck it, if they'll give me that one for only $50 more than the super-cheap model, I'll buy it...'

$394 accepted. P290RS 9mm, stainless slide ('two-tone'), Siglite sights, one 6rd mag and one 8rd mag (takes the grip from PM/CM9 or even LCP-sized to more like P239-sized). Not the deal of the century, but, meh...I'll take it. For a small polymer DAO pistol, I don't think you can do much better. G27 is more ammo but way fatter, Kahr is cheap and light but trigger is 'difficult,' neither offer restrike. Also, Glocks, M&P/Shields, ect are a bit too close to a safetyless SA pistol for me to be comfortable. Pre-cocked DAO (or/many decocker DA/SA's) is nice for the still relatively short trigger (compared to a revolver. Or Kahr) but with a modestly long/stiff pull (...TWSS?)

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I think this is what sold me:

TopDown.jpg

P290 between a PM9 (smallest 9mm Kahr) and G27, with a PPS towering over them.