YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 423 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Did you get a discount because 'SR1911' is spelled wrong on the slide?

Seriously, though, if you're gonna spend that kinda cash (as opposed to buying something like the Ruger, which is the 'value' option)...why not just buy a Dan Wesson? Or a Sig? Ect?

The Colt for slightly under 1000...or this for slightly over...

cz-dan-wesson-1911-heritage-01981-easy-pay-110-2.jpg

No contest.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Did you get a discount because 'SR1911' is spelled wrong on the slide?

Seriously, though, if you're gonna spend that kinda cash (as opposed to buying something like the Ruger, which is the 'value' option)...why not just buy a Dan Wesson? Or a Sig? Ect?

The Colt for slightly under 1000...or this for slightly over...

cz-dan-wesson-1911-heritage-01981-easy-pay-110-2.jpg

No contest.

None of those guns are on the CA handgun roster. The Colt is.

Besides, it's a Colt :colbert:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Dan Wesson has one. I think Nighthawk does. There are native 10mm handguns, but they're either incredibly cheapy or incredibly expensive. RIA makes one now, no clue how good it is...
I do not even own a Semi Auto, but if I were to buy one I think I'd be looking into a Dan Wesson 10mm myself.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
None of those guns are on the CA handgun roster. The Colt is.

Besides, it's a Colt :colbert:

I'm sure it's a fine gun. I just prize value.

Not being terribly unpoor, that usually just means paying $300-400 for guns that I feel are competitive with $500-600 guns. But if I had $800-900 to spend, I'd still try and feel like I was getting a lot more than I paid for.

Someday I'm gonna manage to keep a grand in my gun fund and buy one of these:

f8a50c79_o.jpeg

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Colts ?

I could be wrong I guess, doesn't resemble the old Colt military ones I'd fired whe I was in, in the past.

M1911_and_M1911A1_pistols.JPG

It's pretty much identical to the pre-A1 M1911 besides the larger sights and the S80 firing pin block. The later A1 variant has a short trigger and an arched mainspring housing.

Last edited:

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
That's basically like a really bad version of a race holster.

...for CCW, you do not need the same things as someone shooting competitively (and not concealing). Other than trigger protection.

With the above, the gun is not well retained in the 'holster,' nor is it going to be steady on your belt. It will hurt to carry, it will hurt to draw, it will be impossible to reholster.

All to save what can be as little as an 1/8" or so of thickness.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Bad, really bad... If you want any hope of carrying comfortably, then you want the holster to be between you and the gun. Also, my experience has been that "single clip" holster designs almost never want to stay where you put them.
Damn straight!

0335%20MTAC%20all%20blk%20Shield%20sm.jpg

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Single clips can work if done right. I like the wide plastic J-clips. I stole the one for this IWB kydex holster I made off a damaged Safariland. Been looking for a place to buy something similar for custom holsters.

55ab869e_o.jpeg

That thing is uber-stable and won't move when drawn from.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
That article is a perfect example of the kind of paranoiac ignorance that seems to be common among many anti-gun people.

A psychiatrist explains why the mentality of anti-gun people:

http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/ragingagainstselfdefense.htm

"You don’t need to have a gun; the police will protect you."

"If people carry guns, there will be murders over parking spaces and neighborhood basketball games."

"I’m a pacifist. Enlightened, spiritually aware people shouldn’t own guns."

"I’d rather be raped than have some redneck militia type try to rescue me."

How often have you heard these statements from misguided advocates of victim disarmament, or even woefully uninformed relatives and neighbors? Why do people cling so tightly to these beliefs, in the face of incontrovertible evidence that they are wrong? Why do they get so furiously angry when gun owners point out that their arguments are factually and logically incorrect? How can you communicate with these people who seem to be out of touch with reality and rational thought? One approach to help you deal with anti-gun people is to understand their psychological processes. Once you understand why these people behave so irrationally, you can communicate more effectively with them.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
A psychiatrist explains why the mentality of anti-gun people:

http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/ragingagainstselfdefense.htm

"You don’t need to have a gun; the police will protect you."

"If people carry guns, there will be murders over parking spaces and neighborhood basketball games."

"I’m a pacifist. Enlightened, spiritually aware people shouldn’t own guns."

"I’d rather be raped than have some redneck militia type try to rescue me."

How often have you heard these statements from misguided advocates of victim disarmament, or even woefully uninformed relatives and neighbors? Why do people cling so tightly to these beliefs, in the face of incontrovertible evidence that they are wrong? Why do they get so furiously angry when gun owners point out that their arguments are factually and logically incorrect? How can you communicate with these people who seem to be out of touch with reality and rational thought? One approach to help you deal with anti-gun people is to understand their psychological processes. Once you understand why these people behave so irrationally, you can communicate more effectively with them.

I don't think it's that complicated. Most anti-gun people parrot the same crap they hear repeated over and over again on the news. People don't have enough info to form their a real thought out opinion so they parrot what falls within what they think is their opinion. How many people have you really talked to that say stupid things like "There should be a law against fully automatic guns" without knowing there is in fact a law against them. Take that and add it that people never want to look like they don't know something and boom you have them repeating what they hear.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Training with it will take away that concern. When you start driving, it's easy to hit the brake or accelerator too soft or too hard and not get the desired result. The mistake COULD be deadly. Luckily, most of us start out on easier roads with (hopefully) less fast decisions needed, and avoid major interstates or race tracks until we get the hang of it.

Using the pump on a shotgun, racking a slide to clear a malfunction, changing a magazine, etc. are all things that you need to train around. No matter what defensive weapon you're using, problems can happen. You don't have to go nuts and blast 10,000 rounds a year, but going out to practice with a box of ammo at least every few months is a good idea.

This is a really good analogy. I'll have to remember it. :thumbsup:

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
I don't think it's that complicated. Most anti-gun people parrot the same crap they hear repeated over and over again on the news. People don't have enough info to form their a real thought out opinion so they parrot what falls within what they think is their opinion. How many people have you really talked to that say stupid things like "There should be a law against fully automatic guns" without knowing there is in fact a law against them. Take that and add it that people never want to look like they don't know something and boom you have them repeating what they hear.

And actually, many people who are considered "anti-gun" are better labeled "apathetic toward guns". My aunt, who's in her early 80's, expressed the opinion of "no one needs one of those assault rifle things". Just about word for word what she's heard on the TV set. Doesn't know a damn thing about them, and not likely to learn any time soon, because she's apathetic about the whole thing.

That's where the real danger lies, in that the media can so easily direct so many ignorant people into believing whatever it is they want believed.