YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 380 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Or just buy a gun that has already has a properly textured grip...or is that too easy?
Grip is important to me on a pistol but it isn't a deal breaker. I didn't think my XD-9 had enough grippyness (that's the technical term for it) so I put some Talon grips on it. Love them things. I wish I could put them on my PPS carry gun too since it would help with holding the small grip a lot better, but damn, don't want it to get caught on clothing.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Caught the guy stocking the ammo at Wal-Mart around 9:30 as I was picking up Metal Gear and Infamous next door.

I routinely check for Tula .308 to keep my 25 x G3 mags topped off but didn't even notice whatever else was there once I walked up. My attention was immediately drawn to the FULL shelf of CCI Stinger and Federal 550 rd .22LR bricks. Naturally I grabbed my 2 bricks.

I wanted an entire brick of CCI Stinger if I could get away with it but the brick wouldn't ring up and they only sell it by the individual 50 rd boxes which is a waste when you are limited to < 3 "boxes".

Can't believe people are squatting and reselling .22LR STILL.

Last edited:

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
My wife and I happened to be in Cabelas the other day as an employee was returning several 100 round boxes of Mini Mags to the shelf (they have a limit of 100 rounds of 22LR per person). We each grabbed a box and strolled towards the checkout.

It still seems weird to be so happy to find 200 rounds of pricey 22LR... but it's better than nothing. :(

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006

Well to be fair it isnt just the squaters and resellers. Theres still places out there gouging the shit out of customers. How about some Mini-mags....only 40 bucks for 100..... I can shoot my centerfire rifles for a lot less than that
http://www.surplusammo.com/22-lr-cci-mini-mag-36-grain-copper-plated-hollow-point-100-rounds/

Worst of all its a local store :( Thank god Rainier Arms is only an extra 10 minute drive for me :)

But yes the hoarding and crap is silly. Our Cabelas had a door buster for 2 pallets worth of 22lr. Line was over 200 people long. Within an hour the ammo was popping up on armslist. People like that just need to go get a life. Hell ive even sold off and donated some of my 22lr stash so the little kids can keep shooting and dads can take their kids shooting

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
a new small sporting goods store opened up in my small town today. they had little ammo and it was all expensive. 525 rds of .22 lr for $50, 9mm was 17.50 a box, .45 was $30 a box.

gun prices seemed ok but i asked about transfer costs - the guy said today nothing but the PICS ($5). Going forward he expected 35-40 but he wasn't sure as they didn't specify that yet as they were too busy getting ready for the grand opening.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Why are people shitting themselves over $13.50 for a box of 9mm?

Well, correction. 13.50 a box...if you buy ten.

I can go to the range and get it for $14 all day long. In whatever quantity I want. Ordering a case online to save a penny a round? LOL no.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Went to a gunshow this morning. $5 to get in. Not much going on. 5.56/.223 was about $0.50 per round and 9 mm was about $0.40 per round (brass, not steel).

.22 LR bricks (525 rounds) were about $60 each. There were a few AK 47 style rifles (generic brand - GCS) but in .22 LR caliber for $550 each, very nice. If they were 7.62 x 39, I would take one home. Stripped lowers were $100 each, DPMS complete uppers for $600 each.

CCW class for $100 per person and FFL transfer fee for rifle was $25/each.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Went to a gunshow this morning. $5 to get in. Not much going on. 5.56/.223 was about $0.50 per round and 9 mm was about $0.40 per round (brass).

.22 LR bricks (525 rounds) were about $60 each. There were a few AK 47 style riffles but .22 LR caliber for $550 each, very nice. If they were 7.62 x 45, I would take one home.

CCW class for $100 per person and FFL transfer fee for rifle was $25/each.

Last gun show I went to had a 20 dollar entry fee. And everything there was about 25% over the regular price. I dont do gun shows any more.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Last gun show I went to had a 20 dollar entry fee. And everything there was about 25% over the regular price. I dont do gun shows any more.

Ours are getting to be the same way anymore. 8 bucks to enter but you cant buy any guns unless you are a member (40 bucks a year?). Its fun to go and look and Im a member just so i can meet my Class 3 dealer there instead of driving 3 hours to him.

But yes in recent years it has gone downhill. Way to many "pro" FFL who just work the shows only. Pricing is the same as a gun store and thankfully not higher for the most part. So a good 50% are those guys. Theres 25% which i hate the most cause they dont even sell gun related stuff. Sorry but a gun show isnt for selling jewelry. Then theres 10% or so of the local companies using it to show off their products, get people interested in them, ect. They are fun to see. High end custom rifles and ar type stuff. The rest more what you think of by gun show. Tables with....crap lol. Real people trying to sell off stuff they dont need/want anymore.Find some deals every now and then.

THe biggest issue is just anything worth buying is gone in the first 30 minutes. If you arent in line waiting to get in at opening good luck getting the "gun show deals" ou hear people talk about. That and have heard and seen tons of vendors doing deals prior to doors opening. They buy the good deals then resell them at their tables.

But it is interesting to go and i try to go 1 or 2 times a year with my dad. Just browse mostly. Always interesting seeing whats for sale and being able to handle pretty much any modern handgun without having to have the clerk pull it out is a bonus

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I enjoyed that gif, and also this, which I'm guessing most of you took offense at.

Seems obvious that, yes, we are being mocked, but I have no problem giggling at that. There is definite truth there.

I actually had a sketchy guy knocking at my door the other day. Probably just a wrong address, but he was in a big rape van, and stood on the porch with a hand in the pocket of a hoodie as he knocked and looked around all suspiciously. When he went back to his van and honked the horn, I made an obvious 'sweep the curtains open with a handgun and stare him down' move. He left quickly.

I was all...HOORAY! Productive use of firearms! Only, well...I coulda just waved an airsoft pistol around. He wouldn't have known. Hell, I coulda used a pointy stick. But I do like my P239 for the fact that it is relatively compact and carryable (yeah, it's stupid big for single stack 9, I admit), but it has that definitive 'hey...a GUN!' look to it. You don't wanna confuse people by brandishing pocket guns at them*.

*I know, I know; don't brandish. Just sayin' is all.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009

Well, correction. 13.50 a box...if you buy ten.

I can go to the range and get it for $14 all day long. In whatever quantity I want. Ordering a case online to save a penny a round? LOL no.

dude quit being small minded, not everyone can find ammo for what you can

IF I can find 9mm local, its usually ~16/50 or ~30/100

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
dude quit being small minded, not everyone can find ammo for what you can

IF I can find 9mm local, its usually ~16/50 or ~30/100

If that's your definition of 'small-minded,' holy shit the world must make you cry on a daily basis.

Wow, a whole two bucks difference. I guess that's enough to make you say 'HOLY SHIT, I BETTER BUY ALL THE AMMO I CAN FIND!'

...and the next week, it's 'Waaaaahhh, I can't find any ammo. Damn hoarders!' ATTN: You are the hoarder. How do people not get this? Hating how all the 'hoarders' are causing a 'shortage' that is interfering with their...'useless stockpiling.' Brilliant.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
If that's your definition of 'small-minded,' holy shit the world must make you cry on a daily basis.

Wow, a whole two bucks difference. I guess that's enough to make you say 'HOLY SHIT, I BETTER BUY ALL THE AMMO I CAN FIND!'

...and the next week, it's 'Waaaaahhh, I can't find any ammo. Damn hoarders!' ATTN: You are the hoarder. How do people not get this? Hating how all the 'hoarders' are causing a 'shortage' that is interfering with their...'useless stockpiling.' Brilliant.

I call it like I see it dude, if you cant think outside your little box, that's text book small mindedness :p

1- not everyone can find ammo local period

2- let alone at the prices you do

3 not everyone buying a case online is hoarding

If I actually shot as much as I wanted to, I would do ~350 rounds a month in 9mm

at 2.50 savings per box of 50, that would 17.50 a month in savings. over 200 a year

without 'stockpiling'

I keep 1000 rounds of 9mm laying around and try to not cut into to hit the range, incase there is a real shortage at some point. but I seriously have been able to buy 9mm locally (fmj range stuff) twice in the last 15 months if I didn't want to pay out the ass for it

so I am stuck buying 500 at a time online when I need it, and instead I shoot about 200 rounds every 2-3 months to compensate

last time I found it locally they had 5 100 round value packs, I bought 2 a friend bought 2 and we left one for another lucky bastard

the 400 rounds of 223 I just bought is all the 223 I have. I will use half of it just breaking in the rifle I just built

Last edited:

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised by this too. I bought a lot of .22 before the shortage to take advantage of some free shipping offer or other such coupon. I thought I got too much (14,000 rounds), but since I give boxes away to friends, it doesn't seem enough.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

Because this time 2 years ago you could walk into any Walmart or gun store and only pay $11-12 per box. Hell this time 2 years ago I was doing a bulk order for 2k 9mm reman and payed under $9 a box.