YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Front serrations are nice for how I like to do brass checks, which is one-handed, using thumb tension to pull back the slide. It's more to limit all the strength being used in one hand instead of two. A nice feature to have but not a dealbreaker.

The SCT is the older version of what SIG now calls the TACOPS P226. Pretty much the same thing: fiber/tritium sights with 4 20-round mags, only the new model has a beavertail.

MSRP for the TACOPS is 1300, I see it for 1100 or up in the stores. SCT was listed for 1150. A used basic 226 with 1-2 standard mags would go for 700 used, yeah. The SCT/TAC is the high-end model.

$700 is way too high IMHO. You should be able to get a brand new standard P226 for $700ish without much effort (there is one in .40 S&W at my nearest dealer for $696 right now). Another local store has a new P226 Elite Dark they were willing to let go for under $800 because it was in .357 SIG calibre, for which ammo cost an arm and leg. Although the night sights and extra high capacity magazines are nice additions, they're not going to make the sale either. I'd say ask $600 firm for a reasonably quick sale unless you're willing to wait for buyer to come along who's willing to pay more.

Last edited:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
GOOD LOOKIN OUT, OLD MAN!

:awe:

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Nay, I mean waiting for the polished cz 75b. Decided I want polished over matte, even though I can get matte now.

Well from what was said earlier about how CZ does manufacturing they may be hard to find. I'd set up a search on gun broker to email you if one gets posted and regularly patrol sites like Buds to see if they get any available or offer backorders.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
So anyone familiar with the rules/laws on taking a gun into another state? Ill be heading down to San Diego for the next 6 months and was just kind of curious. I know CA you cant carry and have a max mag size of 10 rounds. But is it legal for me to even bring a gun down there?

I probably wont but curiosity got the best of me.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
So anyone familiar with the rules/laws on taking a gun into another state? Ill be heading down to San Diego for the next 6 months and was just kind of curious. I know CA you cant carry and have a max mag size of 10 rounds. But is it legal for me to even bring a gun down there?

Best I can find is this http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

I'm not sure how exactly that would work since you aren't moving permanently to CA... not worth the trouble IMO.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

"Visiting CA is the same as Moving to CA - except a visitor need not register anything."
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Moving_to_California_with_firearms

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

if i'm not mistaken, you can carry, at least open, but you can't have a round in the chamber.

i wouldn't even bother taking it with you though.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
if i'm not mistaken, you can carry, at least open, but you can't have a round in the chamber.

Pretty sure in CA you can't have it loaded at all during OC.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

No open carry in CA, not even rifles.

State law requires that handguns in school zones have to be unloaded, in a locked case. You can have a loaded mag right next to it but it cannot be inserted in the mag well.

Federal law requires that long guns be locked up also. To be on the safe side, since I don't know where all school zones are, I lock up both when traveling.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Front serrations make it easier to rack the gun. To rack, I always grab the gun from above (it's more tactically sound than pinch gripping, and shares muscle mechanics with clearing stoppages, even though pinch grip might save a little time in a competition situation). My palm and little finger fall on front serrations while the thumb and index finger fall on rear serrations.

Also, if you were to mount optics, the optics might prevent you from reasonably accessing rear serrations which makes front serrations more valuable.

Huh? How is it more tactically sound? I mean, first off, you start with a round chambered condition 1. Right? You then unsafe the gun and fire until empty. If the gun fails to return to battery, you clear the gun and rack the slide. Your hand has no business being up by the muzzle. When you insert a new mag, you either pull back on the slide from the back, or hit the slide release.

Front serrations are for press checking only, and I think they're useless at that. I can press check my CCO with no serrations without any issue, and that's considering my gun has a 24 pound spring in it.

Front serrations are for a press check, to double check you have a round chambered, not to completely rack the slide.

I think most people just get them for looks. Personally I never cared for them.

Agreed - I think you easily can press check safely without them.

The gun must be legal, and you cannot conceal. My advice is simply: don't take it. Have someone you trust store it in your home state.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
so we have several conflicting answers on the laws of CA gun use, lol

And now you know why i was getting confused :) Dont plan on taking any but thought id ask. The girlfriend's never shot a gun so had been considering of bring the .22 with but scratched that idea pretty quickly

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Federal law requires that long guns be locked up also. To be on the safe side, since I don't know where all school zones are, I lock up both when traveling.

Care to elaborate on this? AFAIK, the fed has no jurisdiction unless you are on federal land.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Yeah, no carrying period. It USED to be unloaded firearms only. Thanks Reagan and the black panthers!

Well there is may-issue concealed carry, but that's for California Residents only and depends on which county you live in; some rural counties give them out freely, all the major urban areas will laugh at you and compare you to satan for corrupting the innocence of their fair city.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Care to elaborate on this? AFAIK, the fed has no jurisdiction unless you are on federal land.
Unless the State has codified it in their laws. In CA, it would be CCR and (I believe Title 13) CA has not codified it. But personally, I am not taking the risk of running into Homeland Security or another Federal agency. My hand guns get locked up in my rifle cases.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Unless the State has codified it in their laws. In CA, it would be CCR and (I believe Title 13) CA has not codified it. But personally, I am not taking the risk of running into Homeland Security or another Federal agency. My hand guns get locked up in my rifle cases.

Wow...so happy that WA's laws are much more relaxed:
If going to range, handgun can be loaded regardless of whether you hold a CPL. Rifles always unloaded. No locks required.