YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Let it go guys. If Alkemyst is so hell-bent on looking like a gun noob, let him. If he repeatably makes a fool out of himself that's his problem.

not at all, it's obvious we all know clip vs mag...

go read my highroad link, bro.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Well, that one is poorly written. I understand it to be 1000 rounds.

I read it to be one box of 50 rounds. At least, there's nothing I see explicitly stating that it's 1000 rounds. Looks like they're trying to confuse people with the item number in the title so that they think it's 5200 rounds and a really awesome deal.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I read it to be one box of 50 rounds. At least, there's nothing I see explicitly stating that it's 1000 rounds. Looks like they're trying to confuse people with the item number in the title so that they think it's 5200 rounds and a really awesome deal.

Picture shows one box, ad text says: "Rounds/box :50 Rounds Per Box, 20 Boxes Per Case".

I wouldn't chance it even though he has decent feedback.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
it's just another 'ebay' YMMV on any auction.

most of the time a walmart is about the same cost, if you can bear shopping there.

gander mnt. also has cheap ammo.

what gander mtn are you shopping at? here in pa, they are waaaay overpriced

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Picture shows one box, ad text says: "Rounds/box :50 Rounds Per Box, 20 Boxes Per Case".

yeah, no idea what you're getting in that ad.

the price makes me think maybe 1000 rounds but no where in the ad does it specifically state what you get.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

Yup, hence the confusion in my mine.

I've contacted the seller. If he doesn't respond, or admits it is 50 rounds to that price, I plan to report him.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

I've contacted the seller. If he doesn't respond, or admits it is 50 rounds to that price, I plan to report him.

hence why AT doesn't want auction site links...I'd know what you were recommending next time before doing so.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010

c617b1_249707.jpg

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Yep, but either its not there or going for more than im willing to pay. Some stuff there is pretty damn expensive.

Looks to go for $500 new?

As for other items, there's a lot of rare finds and overpriced stuff. I had to hunt for the 1903A3 I just won...so many clowns selling A3s for 1000+ when, while they might be selling a Smith Corona, in no way is it worth THAT MUCH. :rolleyes:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I overpaid for my Bravo Company Machine M4 ($1k), but it was worth it to get an assembled and tested quality rifle.
You get what you pay for.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
I overpaid for my Bravo Company Machine M4 ($1k), but it was worth it to get an assembled and tested quality rifle.
You get what you pay for.

Not always true. A lot of places overcharge. I mean, look at most Model 29 .44 magnum revolvers. The 29-10s usually are 900 or so. If you wait and look around, you'll find a buy it now for $750 or less (which I did.)

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Not always true. A lot of places overcharge. I mean, look at most Model 29 .44 magnum revolvers. The 29-10s usually are 900 or so. If you wait and look around, you'll find a buy it now for $750 or less (which I did.)

Or Kimber. There's a shitload of quality 1911s out there, and Kimbers are simply overpriced from what I've seen.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Or Kimber. There's a shitload of quality 1911s out there, and Kimbers are simply overpriced from what I've seen.

Agreed, given they have the shitty shwartz safety in them. Similarly, Wilson Combat 1911s are generally WAY overpriced. My Dan Wesson is of equal quality in the end, but 500-1000 cheaper. Paying 2000+ for a basic 1911 is too much.

Similar to how I refuse to pay 3000+ for an AR10 or SCAR Mk17....

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Man the cost of admission for somewhat nice stuff is sooo expensive. Like $700 for the gun, $125 for 500 bullets (barely any), $125 for a range membership for a year, $150 for a LTCH, lock/safe, ammo holder, etc etc. I'm surely missing a few things too.

Actually thats cheap membership.
And you should eventually get your own glasses and ear muffs. Range bag. Cleaning supplies. Probably a multitool or small tool kit. Little mesh bags for the ammo.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Oh, and a tiny fiber optic flash light for inspecting the bore.

Any flashlight works, shine it into the breach at an angle, it'll show off the groves. Just not a flashlight that is insanely bright, red light works well.

Actually thats cheap membership.
And you should eventually get your own glasses and ear muffs. Range bag. Cleaning supplies. Probably a multitool or small tool kit. Little mesh bags for the ammo.

For me, it's a universal otis cleaning kit ($50 or so?) with Hoppes #9, CLP, .50 cal ammo can with plastic dividers. And desiccant.

Also, 500 rounds is a bit. If you fire 500 rounds in a month, you're firing A LOT.

The only RECURRING cost with a gun is the ammo, occasionally some more hoppes #9 and CLP, wads and time to both shoot, and clean. My .44 magnum was about $710 or so for the gun. I've probably fired 1000 rounds over a year and that would have cost roughly $400-$500. Already have cleaning supplies since my .40 cal brushes work on all my handguns.

If I had fired >1000 rounds through my .44 magnum, I'd likely need a new hand or something.

The painful guns to fire are the .30 cal guns, that ammo is NOT cheap. I love my Mk14, but it costs so much to shoot regularly. Nearing $1 a round for 168 grain bullets.

Last edited:

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Hoppes #9 is vile stuff. Hoppes Elite is my standard cleaner, works just as well without the smell. But if I have access to it, G96 works much better.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Any flashlight works, shine it into the breach at an angle, it'll show off the groves. Just not a flashlight that is insanely bright, red light works well.

I've usually just held it up looking out the window at our great Washington clouds and been able to inspect the breach/bore. Though i do have a nice LED desk lamp i use at home but thats part of the reloading bench more than for that specific task.

For me, it's a universal otis cleaning kit ($50 or so?) with Hoppes #9, CLP, .50 cal ammo can with plastic dividers. And desiccant.

Is that what you take to the range? I've found for the range pretty much all i take is ammo and guns (and earplug/muff/glasses). Havent had a need to do any cleaning at the range. So my range bag is usually the sig 226 and SW 19-3 plus 200 rounds of ammo for each (plus 30 in the mags for the sig) plus targets, then a soft microfibre cloth to lay the guns on.

As for cleaning, i bought a hoppes kit originally (for 10 bucks) that had #9, lube, and a rod. Found i hated the rod and in fact i broke the stupid plastic part that holds clothes. Bought a nice all metal one and better brushes. Works just fine for me and cost maybe 20 bucks total (including the hoppes kit). I just store it in a small tupperware container.

Also, 500 rounds is a bit. If you fire 500 rounds in a month, you're firing A LOT.

Id say 500 for a new guy can be shot pretty quickly actually. I know i put 230 rounds through my sig in pretty much one visit just cause it was new and i was having fun with it. I could see the same with a new shooter. Or if he goes with his BIL it can use up more just cause of two shooters (but then again you should be sharing ammo)

The only RECURRING cost with a gun is the ammo, occasionally some more hoppes #9 and CLP, wads and time to both shoot, and clean. My .44 magnum was about $710 or so for the gun. I've probably fired 1000 rounds over a year and that would have cost roughly $400-$500. Already have cleaning supplies since my .40 cal brushes work on all my handguns.

If I had fired >1000 rounds through my .44 magnum, I'd likely need a new hand or something.

The painful guns to fire are the .30 cal guns, that ammo is NOT cheap. I love my Mk14, but it costs so much to shoot regularly. Nearing $1 a round for 168 grain bullets.

Just out of curiosity since your local but have you checked out seattleguns.net? You can go reload with a guy off there (which ive done) and save a bit on ammo. Especially rifle ammo. Doesnt take long to do either.