YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
For that price range I'd go Glock 17 or CZ 75B. M&P's are fine but the 9mm have been suffering some accuracy issues(those may be isolated, not huge into them) and the triggers suck compared to the competition and that's universal.

edit
Both also have 22 conversions available for cheap practice and plinking.

Last edited:

FDF12389

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2005
1)My BIL was wondering what gun you recommend in the 9mm category with a budget of $500-700. Any opinions?

Too many to list, but it will depend on what he likes best. Take some of the great suggestions in this thread and see if you can find a range that allows you to rent them. It's by far the best way to decide.

2)Another 9mm question from the BIL...he was wondering why there are so many different types of 9mm ammo (he read them all off to me; there are indeed a lot). Are they for specific guns? Can some take more than one type?

9x17 is the .380 Caliber
9x18 is the 9mm "Makarov"
9x19 is the 9x19mm Parabellum, the most common 9mm and the one you're likely referring to.
9x20 is the 9mm Browning

In addition to that there are various loads and bullet weights(Measured in grains). The different 9mm cartridges listed above are not interchangeable. But you can use different types of ammo in those cartridges.

3)While we were shooting, i noticed the Ruger .22 seemed to kinda...jam up a lot or something. The Glock didn't jam once. Is there any way to prevent this (why does this happen?)? Kind of annoying.

Rimfire cartridges jam more than centerfire, usually due to the power required to cycle a semi auto. When we say rimfire we me the hammer strikes the rim of the cartridge as the primer is there; centerfire cartridges have the primer in the center of the cartridge.

4)Could you guys please recommend a good starter gun for ME? Not really sure what caliber/type/whatever is good for a beginner.

Same as question 1.

How different does a .45 or a .50 feel compared to a .40?

Depending on the size and weight of the gun, a .45 can actually feel like it has less recoil. The .40 round has more pressure, when someone says "That's a hot round", they are referring to pressure.

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
A good, cleaned and lubricated 22 should not have jamming problems. It might have misfire problems with certain shitty ammo (I hate Winchester 22 ammo) but it shouldn't "jam". I have a Browning Buckmark Camper and it's one of my favorite guns out of the 10 or so I own.

IMO I would try and find places to rent guns or go out with friends who have different ones. There are many different types out there, and everybody will have their own preferences. For example, somebody recommended the M&P but I would never get one for myself. I hated the trigger when I rented it, and it just didn't feel right in my hand. I find I like the recoil control gained from full metal frames, like 1911s, CZ75 & 85, Berettas, etc.

My favorite so far is also my newest and most expensive... the CZ75 SP01 Shadow in 9mm. That reminds me, I never made a thread about that purchase.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
4)Could you guys please recommend a good starter gun for ME? :awe: Not really sure what caliber/type/whatever is good for a beginner.

Man...wish I hadn't waited so long to get into this. Also, I now want to try every gun lol. It's kinda like getting video game upgrades; this shit is addicting. Wish I could afford a Desert Eagle...those look sweet. Oh yeah...i feel like everyone should be required to shoot a gun to see how unrealistic movies are lol.

A decent .22 is nice. You can practice a lot for cheap. Ruger .22s are the most popular.

A 9mm is also a popular recommendation.

You're thinking about the Desert Eagle, but realize how impractical it is. Here's a more practical, and future proof option, a Glock 20 or Glock 29 if you want a compact pistol.

The 10mm Glocks are the most powerful Glocks you can get, and what makes them more practical is that you can drop in a .40 barrel and do most of your practice with the less expensive .40 ammo.

You can also get .357 Sig and 9x25 Dillion barrels for it. So that's four different calibers from one gun.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Also, since I see you keep bringing up .50 cal. You really should just put that idea out of your head. The desert eagle .50's are terrible guns.

CubanlB

Oct 24, 2003
FDF covered everything I came in here to say, especially about rimfire vs centerfire.

There are other older rimfire calibers that jam like crazy in pistols despite have more energy to cycle the action.

Shooting feel, also mentioned by FDF, can very GREATLY from gun to gun based on weight and size. Smaller sized pistols also have less surface area for gripping the gun, and can overall be much more difficult to shoot well. Do not underestimate the importance of grip when shooting a pistol.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
-I was alright shooting today, but seemed like I kept missing due to kinda shaking while trying to align the sights. Any way to get over this, or just more practice?

I have the same problem. It can occur if you have had a lot of caffeine or hadn't eaten recently. Practice does help. You might also need to experiment with grip. Mine is based on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tot2aF3k6g

-Should I be aiming slightly down so recoil takes the gun up?

No, but you'll need to find out what sight picture works best for you. Most guns and shooters go for the "6 o-clock hold." I personally prefer a "center hold," which is SIG's combat sight pattern.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/1361

-If im right handed, do I close my left eye and look with my right, or does it not matter? For whatever reason, I kept closing my right eye and using my left.

This depends on the person. I'm one of the rare ones that's completely right-side dominant. Here's a simple test to find out what your dominant eye is.

Oh yeah...i feel like everyone should be required to shoot a gun to see how unrealistic movies are lol.

Couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:

-While we were shooting, i noticed the Ruger .22 seemed to kinda...jam up a lot or something. The Glock didn't jam once. Is there any way to prevent this (why does this happen?)? Kind of annoying.

The SR22 is a pretty new design. Sometimes Ruger guns in particular need a break-in of a few hundred rounds before they become more reliable. Some guns prefer a certain kind of ammo, this is probably most true of .22LR guns.

-My BIL was wondering what gun you recommend in the 9mm category with a budget of $500-700. Any opinions?
-Could you guys please recommend a good starter gun for ME? :awe: Not really sure what caliber/type/whatever is good for a beginner.

Suggestion is always to try out as many as possible. I've fired a dozen pistols of varying sizes and calibers so far, and my perceptions changed each time.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Also, since I see you keep bringing up .50 cal. You really should just put that idea out of your head. The desert eagle .50's are terrible guns.
Seconded. Desert Eagles are fucking lame IMO. Expensive crap. :colbert:

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
WOW! Thanks a ton for the information! I've got a lot of stuff to go over; can't wait to get back to the range.

I mostly want the desert eagle because it looks fucking awesome! I feel like a lot of guns look kinda alike and bland, and think it'd be nice to own something thats a bit more unique. So any recommendations for sweet looking, functional guns would be cool (imo guns like the Glock 22 i used seems so...square and plain).

How do you guys feel about revovers?

Revolvers are great, as close to trouble free as you can get.

Glocks are boring. They look boring but are boringly reliable with almost no upkeep. Guns are a lot like cars, you get what you pay for. If you want reliable and cheap, you get bland looks. You want reliable and unique, be prepared to pay. 1911's are just the ticket. But to get good looks and reliable be prepared to pay out the nose.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Seconded. Desert Eagles are fucking lame IMO. Expensive crap. :colbert:

Fucking lies! They're pretty cool. I didn't get one until #10 or so. Too hard to remember that far back. 4 lbs of steel with a gas system that shoots fireballs out the end? Great to bring out for the fun factor. My girly arms could only hold it up for a magazine or so before getting tired. Getting it as your first/only is fucking stupid. Even if you're rich enough to pay the ~$1 per round costs, it is completely impractical and just a novelty. Your first gun should be practical and reliable so you can learn the ins and outs. If not, it will be dangerous and give you bad habits.

For a starter gun for the OP, I recommend figuring out what kind of "system" you like first such as what kind of trigger and whether you want a manual safety.

SAO - Single action only like the 1911's where the hammer has to be down for it to fire
DAO - Double action only, where the trigger always feels the same like glocks, mps, other striker fired
DA/SA - Guns with a hammer where the first shot is longer and heavier, succeeding shots are lighter and shorter. Most guns with external hammers such as sigs.
Or maybe you want a revolver?

I personally think you should get 2 guns in one. Many models have a 22 conversion kit that replaces the slide/barrel/etc so you can practice with cheaper 22 ammo but with the same feel. If you want something that looks a little different than the plastic guns out there, go 1911 (sao with manual safety). This is my current favorite plinking/competition gun.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57754_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

EDIT: Just to note, remember that opinions are just that. Try to think about what people are saying and come to your own conclusions. Especially in the gun world, there is lots of misinformation out there. The person feeding you bad info probably isn't doing it on purpose and just repeating what he hear.

Think things out.

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
WOW! Thanks a ton for the information! I've got a lot of stuff to go over; can't wait to get back to the range.

I mostly want the desert eagle because it looks fucking awesome! I feel like a lot of guns look kinda alike and bland, and think it'd be nice to own something thats a bit more unique. So any recommendations for sweet looking, functional guns would be cool (imo guns like the Glock 22 i used seems so...square and plain).

How do you guys feel about revovers?

If you're just want something that LOOKS badass then you're asking the wrong questions. You should talk to HAL about acquiring deactivated guns to hang on your wall if you just want appearence.

If you want to get real use out of them then there should be less focus on what just looks neat and start thinking about what actually, you know... shoots bullets properly. A Desert Eagle is incredibly expensive and 50 cal rounds are also incredibly expensive. They make "Baby Eagles" which look like smaller Desert Eagles, and they shoot 9mm. IEI also makes polymer frame Desert Eagles in 9mm.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
So any recommendations for sweet looking, functional guns would be cool (imo guns like the Glock 22 i used seems so...square and plain).
CZ-75 SP01 Tactical
Sig P226 Elite
Beretta 92 Inox

Last edited:

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

If you want something more unique, it's usually going to be more expensive or less practical, or both.

You can customize a Glock. Duracoat is popular if you want it another color or a camo pattern. There's also custom milling.

The Glock 20 may look like just another Glock, but when you shoot it, people will usually notice. 10mm ammo doesn't look that much bigger than .40, but it definitely has more muzzle blast and is noticeably louder.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I usually double up on ear protection with muffs + foam earplugs. Especially at indoor ranges.

Me too. Especially indoor ranges that allow rifles/shotguns. The first time one of those things goes off when all you've heard was handgun fire for the past 20 minutes, you'd swear your earmuffs had fallen off. D:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Just so you know if you combine 30dB muffs with 15dB plugs you do NOT get 45dB of protection.

No, but it still helps

http://www.coopersafety.com/NoiseReduction.aspx

How does wearing dual hearing protectors change NRR?

When dual protectors are used, the combined NRR provides approximately 5 - 10 decibels more than the higher rated of the two devices. For example using disposable ear plugs (NRR 29dB) with ear muffs (NRR 27dB) would provide a Noise Reduction Rating of approximately 39 decibels.