YAEWBT - Yet another existing while black thread. Modified to all purpose harassment

Page 64 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Not to sound "pro-police" but it says right in the article "Mr Jennings was asked to show his ID and he refused". While I'm not black and (thank goodness!) not in Alabama that would not be my approach under any circumstances.

I would smile sweetly (no matter how I felt about it) say "no problem officer" and hand the cop my drivers license despite it not being required by law. Those guys are prone to being douche-bags AND they have guns they're mostly allowed to shoot you with if they feel like it.... the poor Pastor is lucky he didn't get popped for "gardening while black" nevermind cuffed up.

:confused:

TO BE CLEAR the cops were complete dicks with their racist attitude and whomever called them because of a "strange SUV' belonging to the guy across the street that's obviously there all the time is a total POS but mouthing off to cops you KNOW are total dicks just isn't the best career-move.

Pastor was on GMA this morning.. The impression I got, is that those cops might not want to order out at any eatery that has black people working at it..

I see a lot of food from Fight Club in their futures.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
To drive the point home of how the cops were being jerks, the woman who called them actually told them that the pastor was not suspicious and even apologized to him.

But as the pastor said, the cops wanted to arrest him from the get go.

And I always carry I. D. - I am not stupid.

They were pretty patient with him. He was being a jerk. They have no clue who he is or if he actually lives across the street. Crooks do lie and would lie. A neighbor called the Police which is why they showed up.

If one law that needs to be changed it should be require to ID yourself to the Police so people could shut up about that.

Watch the Video yourself:

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
They were pretty patient with him. He was being a jerk. They have no clue who he is or if he actually lives across the street. Crooks do lie and would lie. A neighbor called the Police which is why they showed up.

If one law that needs to be changed it should be require to ID yourself to the Police so people could shut up about that.

Watch the Video yourself:
Watering someone's lawn is sure jerklike behavior. You do realize this thread is riddled with white people calling the cops on black people for no reason.

You should avail yourself of the data and see what people like me deal with

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Watering someone's lawn is sure jerklike behavior. You do realize this thread is riddled with white people calling the cops on black people for no reason.

You should avail yourself of the data and see what people like me deal with

After watching the video I have to say that:

(1) If that were my house I'd be happy my neighbor was looking out when I was out of town.

(2) If I were on another person's property and the police showed up and politely asked to see my ID I'd give it to them AND they would be right to ask for it.

(3) Despite the "attitude" (which while not smart WAS understandable) those cops should absolutely have let the pastor go once they established he was who he claimed to be.

The only "reasons" to say "no" when a cop asks for ID are if you don't want them to know who you are or if you have something to prove.

Racist incidents with cops are a very common and serious issue. This may in fact actually be one BUT unless the video is somehow fake in this particular case it looks to me like "everyone is an a$$hole" here not just the cops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lezunto

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I don’t carry ID while watering plants. In fact, I rarely carry my ID or wallet anymore (post pandemic, contactless payments are the norm—and I keep a duplicate ID in the car.)

If a Black man asks to go into his car to retrieve I.D., some cops might think he's trying to retrieve a weapon. If you're White, there are extra rights accorded you.

Blacks must account for every move and when they don't, they may end up getting shot.

This is why I always carry I.D.

Here is a guy who went to his car to get an iced tea at night, his vehicle was boxed in and he was surrounded by four plain clothes cops who began shouting at him.

He ended up getting shot several times and is now paralyzed. This is not an anomaly. Blacks are just not given a chance to explain themselves, just as Tamir Rice wasn't.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If a Black man asks to go into his car to retrieve I.D., some cops might think he's trying to retrieve a weapon. If you're White, there are extra rights accorded you.

No question about this. :(

However based on the above video this particular incident was a pure "jump to conclusions" situation and the pastor could have prevented all the drama by just showing his drivers license.

Seems poorly thought out to me somehow.

Reactions: 13Gigatons
Mar 11, 2004

However based on the above video this particular incident was a pure "jump to conclusions" situation and the pastor could have prevented all the drama by just showing his drivers license.

Wow, you really are fucking pathetic.

You know what actually would have prevented ALL THE DRAMA (OhEmGee!!!), the cops not being fucking idiots and harassing black people for bullshit reasons. Because that's what actually started all of the drama.

Which, hey, why stop there, if black people don't wanna be arrested, they should just immediately get on their knees and bow, kissing the feet of police. Except for the times when complying has been cited as the reason police straight up fucking murdered black people. So, gee if we ignore how often that happens, then sure "comply or else" would be perfectly fine logic, right, right? Fuck you for enabling this type of behavior by police. You can "go I'm super not supporting this, but like the police were right, guys" all you want, but you look like a moron smearing shit on your face and trying to tell us its chocolate. Just because you claim you're not supporting something doesn't magically make it true when you literally turn around and explicitly do that immediately after.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Wow, you really are fucking pathetic.

You know what actually would have prevented ALL THE DRAMA (OhEmGee!!!), the cops not being fucking idiots and harassing black people for bullshit reasons. Because that's what actually started all of the drama.

Which, hey, why stop there, if black people don't wanna be arrested, they should just immediately get on their knees and bow, kissing the feet of police. Except for the times when complying has been cited as the reason police straight up fucking murdered black people. So, gee if we ignore how often that happens, then sure "comply or else" would be perfectly fine logic, right, right? Fuck you for enabling this type of behavior by police. You can "go I'm super not supporting this, but like the police were right, guys" all you want, but you look like a moron smearing shit on your face and trying to tell us its chocolate. Just because you claim you're not supporting something doesn't magically make it true when you literally turn around and explicitly do that immediately after.

Yeah okay. (lol)

Or just show your ID and the cops most likely leave in this case.

Perhaps redirect your mindless anger to a more appropriate target?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004

Blacks must account for every move and when they don't, they may end up getting shot.

Here is a guy who went to his car to get an iced tea at night, his vehicle was boxed in and he was surrounded by four plain clothes cops who began shouting at him.

He ended up getting shot several times and is now paralyzed. This is not an anomaly. Blacks are just not given a chance to explain themselves, just as Tamir Rice wasn't.

Based on his posts, seems like Captante liked your post because he seems to think all of that's totally fine and is how things should be. What the fuck is wrong with his brain?

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Based on his posts, seems like Captante liked your post because he seems to think all of that's totally fine and is how things should be. What the fuck is wrong with his brain?

More like wtf is wrong with your reading comprehension? :p ;)

*(comprehension means understanding... sorry about the "big word")

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

I can show you a video of that very thing happening. White cop pulls over a black man for a traffic stop. Cop asks the man for his ID. He IMMEDIATELY goes to his car to retrieve it and the cop shoots him.

Just comply doesn't work for us. At least a large unacceptable amount of times.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I don’t carry ID while watering plants. In fact, I rarely carry my ID or wallet anymore (post pandemic, contactless payments are the norm—and I keep a duplicate ID in the car.)
Hell, I could kick while doing one of my walks and it will be a mystery for a while, because the only thing I carry is my key to get back in my house.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I can show you a video of that very thing happening. White cop pulls over a black man for a traffic stop. Cop asks the man for his ID. He IMMEDIATELY goes to his car to retrieve it and the cop shoots him.

Just comply doesn't work for us. At least a large unacceptable amount of times.

I'm ONLY referring to the incident in immediate question not the overall (and completely real) problem of racist-cops

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Remember the Henry Lewis Gates incident? Difference there is the call to police was legitimate because he and his driver were trying to break in the front door. However if the cop had made the effort to follow up HLG's story the entire incident would have been avoided.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Blackpeople shouldn't open carry. Most people don't so I don't really see the reason why they should. Seems it just gets people in trouble.
FTFY. Of course every white conservative will scream about their rights being taken away somehow, even though basically no one in society, period, open carries.
It's the dumbest idea ever because it betrays what is now a social norm.

If 99 people around you don't open carry, and you do, yes it may technically be legal, but you're the odd man out and everyone is going to give you looks. Are you a threat? Are you not a threat? Will you *become* a threat? There's no way to judge, other than that you are not following the social norm.

One of my coworkers complained he didn't feel safe not having a gun on him at work (classic no firearms policy). I really wanted to ask him what threats he thought he might encounter in the workplace that would require him to be armed, or how he planned on not accidentally shooting himself or someone else.
But that would have been kicking a hornets nest, sadly

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Hell, I could kick while doing one of my walks and it will be a mystery for a while, because the only thing I carry is my key to get back in my house.

I leave my wallet home but take my phone with me and I keep my old/expired ID inside the back of the case along with a $5 .... not because I'm worried a cop will ask for it though.

As an "OBWG" (old bald white guy) that pretty much never happens. :(

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Seeing all the comments about the black guy watering the lawn "if that was me I just would have shown my ID" Well...

Here's a story that happened to me back in 1993, I was 18 and walking out of the corner liquor store with a 22oz bottle of Mickies (Malt Liquor) in a brown bag. I went to the wall on the side of thr store where I was going to sit and drink my brew. I was waiting for my friend to come out of the store, he bought a Arizona Rasberry Tea tall can and it was in a brown bag too. He came out of the store and a cop that had been sitting there got out of his patrol car and went up to him. The cop had been sitting there, I just didn't notice when I walked out tho because I don't pay attention.

The cop started to fuck with my friend (same age) and even after he checked and saw it was iced tea in the bag he continued to harass him for like 5 more minutes. Meanwhile, I was sitting on the wall with an open bottle of beer in my hand. I was clearly underage and I'm sure the cop watched me walk out of the store. Yet with a drink in a brown bag with the top of a bottle sticking out + me looking 15, the cop didn't give a shit about what I was doing. This was in a middle class Caucasian area, so not a place known for bad shit happening.

It would be easy for me to say "ohh just show the cop your ID no biggie" My friend was 17 or 18 and this wasn't even the 1st time the cops fucked with him. And this cop kept at it even after he knew my friend was doing absolutely nothing. Meanwhile I was breaking 2 laws, but I'm white so no biggie right? This guy watering the grass looks to be a senior, I can't imagine how many times in his life the cops have fucked with him for no reason. If the cops never single you out (IE: white people) showing your ID wouldn't be a big deal. But if you're of color and are profiled and had been fucked with numerous times I could see where it would be very troubling to say the least and piss you the hell off. Me, I'm glad I don't get asked for ID whenI do normal shit like washing my car ot mowing the grass. Things that should never raise any sort of suspecion at all, let alone enough for a white person to call the police to report it. Imagine having 911 called on you for upkeeping a lawn?

I have done a lot of questionable shit in my life, and you know how many times the cops have fucked with me? Once, it was when I was in a "bad area" and got pulled over and asked what I was doing here. Because, according to the officers, the only reason a person like me (white) would be in this area (black area) would be to buy drugs or get a hooker. I was just driving to hang out with my friend, so no reason to fuck with me. But in my area (white area) I'd get into all sorts of shit without the cops even so much as batting an eye.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
For fuck's sake, you roll up on a guy watering flowers and move on. The idea that a cop has to respond is what makes swatting and tons of other shit happen that does not need to.
They can't leave until they see his ID and make sure he is not an actual crook. They are trained and have to follow procedure.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
They can't leave until they see his ID and make sure he is not an actual crook. They are trained and have to follow procedure.

Is "actual crook" listed as a profession on people's ID? Does seem as if that would make cops' jobs a lot easier.

I don't see why there's any need to ask for ID unless someone is actually behaving in an objectively suspicious manner.

The first time I got stopped-and-searched by the cops (for the 'suspicious' behaviour of walking to the train station, then walking to the ATM to get money to pay for the fare) it was just after I'd come back from a backpacking trip round Europe, and my coat pockets still had some Dutch and Turkish and other foreign currency in them. I'm sure they must have thought that they'd found some big-time international criminal when they started pulling all that foreign currency out of my pockets (lots of notes but with a total value of probably a couple of pounds), but there was nothing remotely 'suspicious' about my behaviour prior to them stopping me.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Didn't someone call the police on him? That is why the police questioned him.

As a Pastor, he certainly was not following Bible admonition or setting a good example for younger ones.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I do keep my drivers license right next to the ID card that says Orange County Deputy Sheriff (Retired). I have observed with my own eyes how quickly the attitude changes when they see that ID card and the star next to it.

The moral of the story is, the only way to beat them, is to join them. And that is not the way I used to think 22 years ago.