YAEWBT - Yet another existing while black thread. Modified to all purpose harassment

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
What really angers me are some of the complaints over the Tamir Rice case. "He was a waving a gun at people."

Actually, he was playing with a toy gun.

Not to defend the cops in the case referenced above at all but "realistic" toy guns are a very serious safety issue.

A tiny little orange tip on the end of what otherwise APPEARS to be 9mm pistol is completely insufficient to prevent tragedy.

Reactions: Lezunto

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Captante,

Thank you. I am aware of why Tamir was killed. And the orange tip on toy guns are crucial to surviving any encounter.

It's the nasty way of dismissing this boy's death by so many that ticks me off.

Reactions: Captante

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Not to defend the cops in the case referenced above at all but "realistic" toy guns are a very serious safety issue.

A tiny little orange tip on the end of what otherwise APPEARS to be 9mm pistol is completely insufficient to prevent tragedy.
Both of you missed the point slightly. Ohio is a legal carry state. Even if it was real he was entitled to carry it.

Same with John Crawford. In both cases white people called the police with descriptions that were not true. In both cases these guys weren't given a chance by police. Tamir was shot and killed <2 sec upon rolling up on him. John was approached from behind in a store where he was purchasing the gun. He was on the phone and did not hear the cops.

In both cases these black men were ENTITLED to carry. However, carry rules don't seem to apply to black people.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

And meanwhile, a Caucasian man with an actual gun can shoot up a parade killing 3+ people and with the gun still in his hand be talked down in stand-off with the police and end up getting arrested totally unharmed. While the cops shoot someone like Amadu Dialo because they THOUGHT he was maybe reaching for a gun. Or Tamir Rice who was playing with a toy gun. The police made almost zero effort to try and fix the situation, thet shot 1st without asking any questions or waiting. Totally the opposite of the redneck (forgot his name) I brought up who shot up the parade, didn't he also kill a cop? Was still arrested unharmed. The same goes for the psychopath who shot up the Dark Knight movie premiere in Denver. Cops went out of their way there to make sure he was arrested unharmed. Whereas Tamir had no such luck. It's funny how a toy guy's insufficient to prevent tragedy for a black male. Where a white guy can be armed like a Swat Member and the cops will spend half a day talking them down.

This happens a lot in America.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
While the cops shoot someone like Amadu Dialo because they THOUGHT he was maybe reaching for a gun.

I was working in NYC when that incident took place .... it was really ugly no doubt..... the city was a different place back then.

:(

Still realistic toy-guns in ANY child's hands are an extremely bad idea no matter how you slice it and they should be banned.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
And meanwhile, a Caucasian man with an actual gun can shoot up a parade killing 3+ people and with the gun still in his hand be talked down in stand-off with the police and end up getting arrested totally unharmed. While the cops shoot someone like Amadu Dialo because they THOUGHT he was maybe reaching for a gun. Or Tamir Rice who was playing with a toy gun. The police made almost zero effort to try and fix the situation, thet shot 1st without asking any questions or waiting. Totally the opposite of the redneck (forgot his name) I brought up who shot up the parade, didn't he also kill a cop? Was still arrested unharmed. The same goes for the psychopath who shot up the Dark Knight movie premiere in Denver. Cops went out of their way there to make sure he was arrested unharmed. Whereas Tamir had no such luck. It's funny how a toy guy's insufficient to prevent tragedy for a black male. Where a white guy can be armed like a Swat Member and the cops will spend half a day talking them down.

This happens a lot in America.

City cops and Suburban cops operate completely different. City cops see violence every day. Suburban cops mostly write speeding tickets. City cops live on a hair trigger....and I can see why, our cities are war zones. You couldn't pay me enough to be a city cop today.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
City cops and Suburban cops operate completely different. City cops see violence every day. Suburban cops mostly write speeding tickets. City cops live on a hair trigger....and I can see why, our cities are war zones. You couldn't pay me enough to be a city cop today.

Actually IME the city cops that see actual crime day in and day out are less likely to hassle/arrest/beat/shoot a person that doesn't rate it. (and YES some folks do!)

When I was a dispatcher in Fairfield County CT it was a standing joke that in towns like New Canaan, Wilton or Ridgefield for examples the PD was a bunch of trigger-happy and heavily armed security-guards compared to Bridgeport or Stamford. (and over the years there were multiple incidents that supported this idea)

Yes there are a lot more shootings and violent incidents medium/large cities but there are also a lot more people living "on the fringe" and the police tend to be used to dealing with them rather than being afraid.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
The man's name is Amadou Diallo.

And orange tips on toy guns are fine for the overwhelming number of police officers.

12-year Tamir Rice was killed because cops simply showed up outside a recreation center where he was playing and screamed "show me your hands!" Yeah, kids playing with toy guns are going to immediately understand this.

Tamir Rice was murdered because Timothy Loehmann, the 26-year old White cop shot him seconds after pulling up. He just didn't give a chit enough to eyeball Rice for a few more seconds.

Loehmann hid the fact he had been deemed emotionally unstable before being hired by the Cleveland Police Dept. and was fired because of it. He tried to get his job back and was turned down. He became a part time cop in Bellaire, Ohio. Rice's family was awadred $6 million, but I'm sure they'd rather have Tamir alive.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
And orange tips on toy guns are fine for the overwhelming number of police officers.

IRL Police officers do not share this opinion. :confused:

(and neither does the GOP suck-up NY Post or current NYC, NY State or NJ law)

DOES THAT TOY GUN LOOK REAL? IF IT DOES, IT'S NOW ILLEGAL IN NEW JERSEY (Bob Menendez ~ 1/20 )

Newly-signed NY law says toy weapons must be white, bright colors, or ‘translucent (NY Post ~ 8/22)

It's amazing to me that people actually need to be told this stuff.... getting your child a "realistic" toy gun is a great way to potentially remove them from the gene-pool and not much else.

Last edited:
Reactions: iRONic

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

DOES THAT TOY GUN LOOK REAL? IF IT DOES, IT'S NOW ILLEGAL IN NEW JERSEY (Bob Menendez ~ 1/20 )

Newly-signed NY law says toy weapons must be white, bright colors, or ‘translucent (NY Post ~ 8/22)

It's amazing to me that people actually need to be told this stuff.... getting your child a "realistic" toy gun is a great way to potentially remove them from the gene-pool and not much else.
In case anyone doesn't remember here is Tamir's murder. I'll say this for the 500th time, Ohio is a LEGAL carry state. Where was Tamir's due process?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
In case anyone doesn't remember here is Tamir's murder. I'll say this for the 500th time, Ohio is a LEGAL carry state. Where was Tamir's due process?

I remember when this happened and I've seen the video.

But how is this tragic/horrifying incident even related to what I posted aside from there being an unjust police shooting involved? (those linked articles are PURELY about making realistic toy guns illegal which is SMART and RESPONSIBLE)

:p

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How is that even related to what I posted aside from there being an unjust police shooting involved? (those linked articles are PURELY about making realistic toy guns illegal)

:p
He was carrying a toy gun. I said that early on but that should have been irrelevant a legal carry state.

I wasn't answering you directly but quoting to make a larger point.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
He was carrying a toy gun. I said that early on but that should have been irrelevant a legal carry state.

I wasn't answering you directly but quoting to make a larger point.

I'm fully aware of this. ;)

Even in "legal carry" states my guess is that cops get a bit ancy when somebody starts waving what APPEARS to be a potentially loaded weapon around. (even if its a plastic toy or a BB gun)

If you want to bring up the "racist" aspect of many of these police shootings however I can't say a word.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Captante,

I like you, guy. This ain't a war. You are completely ignoring that the White cop rolled up and shot Tamir Rice within two seconds. Which negates all or your feverish posturing.

TWO SECONDS!

As I wrote previously, the cop never gave Tamir Rice a chance. And knock it off with your illogical statement that any parent who buys their children a toy gun want their children to be killed. Most Black and Latino parents are well aware of how sick and twisted brutal and racist cops can be.

That's why most who are White offer silent thanks to the heavens their children are light-skinned.

When have you read news accounts of young White children being gunned down by police? Their toy guns have orange tips, too.

It's simply because White cops don't see Black children as young human beings. This is why they have no problem shoving them, handcuffing them or screaming at them because they're not confronting a small human, but a friggin' dangerous alien menace.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Captante,

I like you, guy. This ain't a war. You are completely ignoring that the White cop rolled up and shot Tamir Rice within two seconds. Which negates all or your feverish posturing.

TWO SECONDS!

As I wrote previously, the cop never gave Tamir Rice a chance. And knock it off with your illogical statement that any parent who buys their children a toy gun want their children to be killed. Most Black and Latino parents are well aware of how sick and twisted brutal and racist cops can be.

That's why most who are White offer silent thanks to the heavens their children are light-skinned.

When have you read news accounts of young White children being gunned down by police? Their toy guns have orange tips, too.

It's simply because White cops don't see Black children as young human beings. This is why they have no problem shoving them, handcuffing them or screaming at them because they're not confronting a small human, but a friggin' dangerous alien menace.

Even if I argue with you it doesn't mean I'm pissed off. ;)

First thing I'd do if we met in public would be to buy you (or MOST other AT posters even those I disagree with) a nice cold beer!

If my post came across like an attack I apologize.

• Love
Reactions: HomerJS and Lezunto

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Your choice. The friendship is the point.

I have no idea what is wrong these past few months. People in NYC are simply going berserk, sucker punching people, tossing innocents onto subway tracks shooting at each other, but hitting nuttin'.

Glad I live across the river.

At least we got some rain.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Reality in the streets is always different then whatever the law states. It didn't seem wise to give a 12-year old a realistic gun and send him to the park to play.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Your choice. The friendship is the point.

I have no idea what is wrong these past few months. People in NYC are simply going berserk, sucker punching people, tossing innocents onto subway tracks shooting at each other, but hitting nuttin'.
New York, Chicago, LA, San Francisco are all war zones now. Nobody is kept in jail anymore.

Reactions: Lezunto

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
For years, I've always believed many of these miscreants belonged in locked down mental hospitals. Now, maybe penal colonies.

And with these danged Progressive "Defund the Police" knuckleheads, it's only going to get worse.

I remember the thunderous denunciations of Criminal Court Judge Bruce Wright who reasoned correctly that in some cases, bail was set too high. He was labeled "Turn 'Em Loose, Bruce." He was removed from the criminal court, but won election as a Civil Court Judge.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

We’ll so much for the 1980’s Entertech water guns we grew up with.
bz4s0y8.jpg

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Reality in the streets is always different then whatever the law states. It didn't seem wise to give a 12-year old a realistic gun and send him to the park to play.
I guess it also isn't wise for a black man (John Crawford) to purchase a rifle in a store and walk with it in a legal carry state. We have to be worried some white person will call the police.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I guess it also isn't wise for a black man (John Crawford) to purchase a rifle in a store and walk with it in a legal carry state. We have to be worried some white person will call the police.

Or just open fire. :oops: