YACT: Mazda 6 owners

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
'04 mazda 6s, fully loaded minus sunroof. i love it, but it's not perfect. for my taste there was absolutely no better car on the road for the money when i bought it (~2 months ago). however, now i'm really taking a liking to the new mustang gt. 300hp, rwd? sign me up.

=|

scauffiel

Aug 11, 2000
I have a 2003 Mazda 6S that I bought over a year ago with 20K - I love it. I'm considering trading up for the turbo'd version coming out sometime next year, but other than that I'm real REAL happy with it.

S.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
04 Mazda 6i and it's a great car. Unfortunately my wife just hit a "big hole" on the side of the road Saturday and threw something off in the steering/wheel base. Mechanic is looking at it today:( I knew I shouldn't let her drive it, this wouldn't have happened if she was in the Avalanche.

Dislikes:

Can't change out the stereo system, well at least not easily, so no Sirius or XM as far as I know. No auto locks (lock when car starts in motion). Little weak in 2nd gear. outlet inside center counsel is not active when car is not running, so you can't leave your cell phone in to charge overnight or out of the car. hmmmm, that's about it.

I absolutely love the full stereo control on the steering wheel. The "manual stick" is fun, sometimes. Plenty of headroom, even for 6' guy. Handles great and good gas mileage.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA
04 Mazda 6i and it's a great car. Unfortunately my wife just hit a "big hole" on the side of the road Saturday and threw something off in the steering/wheel base. Mechanic is looking at it today:( I knew I shouldn't let her drive it, this wouldn't have happened if she was in the Avalanche.

Dislikes:

Can't change out the stereo system, well at least not easily, so no Sirius or XM as far as I know. No auto locks (lock when car starts in motion). Little weak in 2nd gear. outlet inside center counsel is not active when car is not running, so you can't leave your cell phone in to charge overnight or out of the car. hmmmm, that's about it.

I absolutely love the full stereo control on the steering wheel. The "manual stick" is fun, sometimes. Plenty of headroom, even for 6' guy. Handles great and good gas mileage.
i have the xm commander installed in the ashtray and it works perfectly. stores 30 stations, easily change stations (included a remote), and large text to see things clearly. i can close the ash tray to hide the unit when it's not in use. (i usually just set the station and leave it alone, so 95% of the time the ash tray is closed.)

=|

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Originally posted by: TheLonelyPhoenix
Mazda3s with 5300 miles, so far its been great. Very smooth and comfortable ride, excellent handling, looks great inside and out. I've gotten up to 36 MPG on the highway.

Biggest complaint is the wussy-sounding horn. :D

My miata came with a wimpy horn too. Replaced it with a low tone horn from the autoparts store for $12. Took me no more than 10min to replace. Sounds great. I could have spent $30 and gotten the air horns. ;)

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
Why does the Mazda6 (and other cars) have a much lower score than Accord and Camry on Consumer Guide? I see the Accord getting up to 71, and only a 63 max on the Mazda6. Is the accord really so much better? On their review, the Accord ends up with 7's across most of the catagories with two 10's. On the other hand, Mazda6 has primarily around 6's. The only direct comparison I can see is that they say it doesn't have as much refinement and interial material quality.

What gives? =/

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: clicknext
Why does the Mazda6 (and other cars) have a much lower score than Accord and Camry on Consumer Guide? I see the Accord getting up to 71, and only a 63 max on the Mazda6. Is the accord really so much better? On their review, the Accord ends up with 7's across most of the catagories with two 10's. On the other hand, Mazda6 has primarily around 6's. The only direct comparison I can see is that they say it doesn't have as much refinement and interial material quality.

What gives? =/

i'm going to respectfully disagree. i'm not so sure about the accord, but i've seen the inside of camrys and they are rather bland. i love the mazda6 interior.

the only thing i can think of to explain those ratings is that the mazda 6 is in a slightly different class than either the camry or accord. while the latter two are family sedans, the mazda 6 is a "sports sedan." therefore, people wanting a family sedan will mistakingly look at a mazda6 and not be satisfied with what they see.

=|

What gives? =/
Camry and Accord have had time to mature as products, which will bring higher "consumer scores".

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Actually they have Accord without side airbags and with.
The one without did as bad as Mazda6. The one with did good.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: theNEOone

What gives? =/

i'm going to respectfully disagree. i'm not so sure about the accord, but i've seen the inside of camrys and they are rather bland. i love the mazda6 interior.

the only thing i can think of to explain those ratings is that the mazda 6 is in a slightly different class than either the camry or accord. while the latter two are family sedans, the mazda 6 is a "sports sedan." therefore, people wanting a family sedan will mistakingly look at a mazda6 and not be satisfied with what they see.

=|

there's a difference between looking nifty-swifto and being high-quality. i don't know about the camry's, but accord interiors have historically been among the most practical, intuitively laid out interiors around. yeah, and you change the freaking radios in them, too.

also, it's funny that mazda's "sport" sedan is out-powered and out-torqued by honda's "family" sedan (about 10% higher on both figures), from the same size engine. both cars have nearly identical curb weights. having a "cool" spoiler and flashy blue paint doesn't help you much when the family guy next to you at the stop light can trounce you all the way to daycare. his kids will be giving you the raspberry... out the back window (a full half second quicker to 60 MPH). and the hybrid version has the 6 even more outgunned. combine that with higher build quality, a better ride, and a reputation for reliability, and i think it's clear why the accord sells better. point being, if the car you want is a 6, then the car you really want is an accord.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
there's a difference between looking nifty-swifto and being high-quality. i don't know about the camry's, but accord interiors have historically been among the most practical, intuitively laid out interiors around. yeah, and you change the freaking radios in them, too.

also, it's funny that mazda's "sport" sedan is out-powered and out-torqued by honda's "family" sedan (about 10% higher on both figures), from the same size engine. both cars have nearly identical curb weights. having a "cool" spoiler and flashy blue paint doesn't help you much when the family guy next to you at the stop light can trounce you all the way to daycare. his kids will be giving you the raspberry... out the back window (a full half second quicker to 60 MPH). and the hybrid version has the 6 even more outgunned. combine that with higher build quality, a better ride, and a reputation for reliability, and i think it's clear why the accord sells better. point being, if the car you want is a 6, then the car you really want is an accord.
that's just stupid. so now engine power = sportiness? so i guess a 3450hp escalade is sportier than a 287hp nissan z :confused:

and better seller = better car? so i imagine your accord beats out bmw's and mercedes simply because it sells more?

your logic is even worse then your claims. if i wanted an accord (i researched the coupe) i would have bought it, trust me. it would have been less expensive than my mazda6, and much easier to get. there were only 5 cars in the state of florida w/ the options i wanted, and i had to drive almost two hours to get it.

take your honda fanboi-ism and prepare to become the more inferior sedan in time. do i hear an AWD turboed 287hp sedan in honda's future.........NO.

=|

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: thomsbrain

that's just stupid. so now engine power = sportiness? so i guess a 3450hp escalade is sportier than a 287hp nissan z :confused:

and better seller = better car? so i imagine your accord beats out bmw's and mercedes simply because it sells more?

your logic is even worse then your claims. if i wanted an accord (i researched the coupe) i would have bought it, trust me. it would have been less expensive than my mazda6, and much easier to get. there were only 5 cars in the state of florida w/ the options i wanted, and i had to drive almost two hours to get it.

take your honda fanboi-ism and prepare to become the more inferior sedan in time. do i hear an AWD turboed 287hp sedan in honda's future.........NO.

=|

Getting a bit defensive over your Mazda 6 eh?

I don't think he meant that more hp means it's sportier.
He just finds it ironic that the family sedan from Honda is faster than the acclaimed sports sedan from Mazda.
And when he's comparing sales of 2 vehicles, he does it with that of the same price range and class - vehicles that consumers are likely to cross-shop.
If anything, you are coming off as the bigger fanboy in your reply.

And for the record, I prefer the 6 to the Accord :p

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I just wanted to point out that the latest issue of Consumer Reports down grades the Mazda6 from average reliability to below average for the 2005 model year (based on past data collected from Mazda6 owners). I'm not sure why but remember that the Mazda6 is now made in the US, where as the first Mazda6's were built in Japan.

I have a Mazda3 wagon that I absolutely adore by the way. :)

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Thera
I just wanted to point out that the latest issue of Consumer Reports down grades the Mazda6 from average reliability to below average for the 2005 model year (based on past data collected from Mazda6 owners). I'm not sure why but remember that the Mazda6 is now made in the US, where as the first Mazda6's were built in Japan.

Hmm, perhaps it's because everyone hates anything made in the US and loves Japanese stuff?

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001

well that's just a bunch of garbage because car and driver gave the 6 a long term test and gave it high marks. and i'd really like to know how you downgrade the reliability of a car that's only been out for a month.

The owner's manual calls for the first service at 7500 miles. The dealer changed the oil and oil filter, rotated the tires, and handed us a tab for a reasonable $23. The manual calls for three identical services at 15,000, 22,500, and 37,500 miles, and they came to $25, $31, and $31, respectively. And respectably. The one big-deal service at 30,000 miles looked like the governor's heating bill for the month of January?$333. It included a long list of inspections and the routine oil and oil-filter changes and tire rotation. Our Mazda dealer also replaced the engine's air filter, even though the manual recommends changing it much later, at 37,500 miles. Add up all these service bills, and they come to $443, which is, as Martha used to say, a good thing. These undercut the service bills of our long-term Toyota Camry SE V-6 by more than $300. Over the course of 40,000 miles, our silver bullet was so well-behaved that it did not require a single unscheduled visit to the dealer for any kind of problem?and that is a really good thing, although we did have to add a quart of oil at 13,000 miles. In short, nothing broke.

=|

well that's just a bunch of garbage because car and driver gave the 6 a long term test and gave it high marks. and i'd really like to know how you downgrade the reliability of a car that's only been out for a month.

The owner's manual calls for the first service at 7500 miles. The dealer changed the oil and oil filter, rotated the tires, and handed us a tab for a reasonable $23. The manual calls for three identical services at 15,000, 22,500, and 37,500 miles, and they came to $25, $31, and $31, respectively. And respectably. The one big-deal service at 30,000 miles looked like the governor's heating bill for the month of January?$333. It included a long list of inspections and the routine oil and oil-filter changes and tire rotation. Our Mazda dealer also replaced the engine's air filter, even though the manual recommends changing it much later, at 37,500 miles. Add up all these service bills, and they come to $443, which is, as Martha used to say, a good thing. These undercut the service bills of our long-term Toyota Camry SE V-6 by more than $300. Over the course of 40,000 miles, our silver bullet was so well-behaved that it did not require a single unscheduled visit to the dealer for any kind of problem?and that is a really good thing, although we did have to add a quart of oil at 13,000 miles. In short, nothing broke.

=|
How do you give a first year run car a "long term test"?

Just admit, you're getting defensive about the car you own(or whoever's name is on the title). Who cares, it's a car, it's not your penis.
Though I'm sure you'd be better off if your car was your penis though.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
I am still deciding on the Mazda 6 or the Mazda 3 (5-door model)..... decisions decisions....

I love them both, but the sports wagon looks wayyyyyyy better, but slightly more expensive too.

danny~!

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: SampSon

Just admit, you're getting defensive about the car you own(or whoever's name is on the title). Who cares, it's a car, it's not your penis.
i know you have something against me, but i'm having a hard time remembering why. remind me please.

=|

i know you have something against me, but i'm having a hard time remembering why. remind me please.

=|
I don't have anything against you. You're just being a mazda fanboy, and then calling people out for being honda fanboys? Way to go champ.

Think about the reality of what you are posting. A long term test? The new mazdas havn't been around long enough for any long term tests. They are making educated guesses.

I'm simply calling you out (like some others have) about getting offended about people saying anything negative about the car you own. Getting defensive further from this point, just proves the point.(though now that it's been said, you will probably try to avoid doing that.)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
One of my coworkers bought a Mazda 6. He was very pleased with the car initially. However, he ended up having to get the transmission replaced 3 times already and the car isn't even a year old. He argued with the manager of the dealership asking for a replacement car because he believes his to be a lemon. Of course, they said no. From his story, I don't have a lot of faith in their Q.C... If you get one, maybe get the extended warranty.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I don't have anything against you. You're just being a mazda fanboy, and then calling people out for being honda fanboys? Way to go champ.

Think about the reality of what you are posting. A long term test? The new mazdas havn't been around long enough for any long term tests. They are making educated guesses.

I'm simply calling you out (like some others have) about getting offended about people saying anything negative about the car you own. Getting defensive further from this point, just proves the point.(though now that it's been said, you will probably try to avoid doing that.)
in your original post you stated "or whoevers name is on the title" signifying that you remember me stating that the car is under my grandfather's name in another thread. why you would remember that is completely beyond me.

also, you seem to be a little confused about what "long term" means in this context. you can have a 20 year old car and never drive it. can you then declare that it's a reliable car because no problems have arisen? you = :confused:. long terms tests here are based on mileage, and that's what the car and driver test went off of. most people keep cars for much longer than 40,000 but since the magazine is testing other cars on the same standard, you can make an educated guess as to the reliability of the car.

and i'm not a mazda fan boy. i love all kinds of cars (cars in my family as far back as i can remember: 9-3, 325i, mustang, camry, bonneville), but when someone states that "point being, if the car you want is a 6, then the car you really want is an accord" is just being ignorant. how can you presume to know somebody else's preference? i'm not being defensive over the car i own, i'm getting defensive about his assumptions. he's was coming off as a fan boy because he was pitching the accord as a better car. i'm pitching the mazda6 as a better car FOR ME.

=|

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004

in your original post you stated "or whoevers name is on the title" signifying that you remember me stating that the car is under my grandfather's name in another thread. why you would remember that is completely beyond me.

also, you seem to be a little confused about what "long term" means in this context. you can have a 20 year old car and never drive it. can you then declare that it's a reliable car because no problems have arisen? you = :confused:. long terms tests here are based on mileage, and that's what the car and driver test went off of. most people keep cars for much longer than 40,000 but since the magazine is testing other cars on the same standard, you can make an educated guess as to the reliability of the car.

and i'm not a mazda fan boy. i love all kinds of cars (cars in my family as far back as i can remember: 9-3, 325i, mustang, camry, bonneville), but when someone states that "point being, if the car you want is a 6, then the car you really want is an accord" is just being ignorant. how can you presume to know somebody else's preference? i'm not being defensive over the car i own, i'm getting defensive about his assumptions. he's was coming off as a fan boy because he was pitching the accord as a better car. i'm pitching the mazda6 as a better can FOR ME.

=|

You are being a little too defensive. Chill man. You love your car and that should be good enough. To each his own.

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
One of my coworkers bought a Mazda 6. He was very pleased with the car initially. However, he ended up having to get the transmission replaced 3 times already and the car isn't even a year old. He argued with the manager of the dealership asking for a replacement car because he believes his to be a lemon. Of course, they said no. From his story, I don't have a lot of faith in their Q.C... If you get one, maybe get the extended warranty.

You don't have a lemon law in your state? a.k.a if the car goes in for the same repair more than twice within a certain time period, you can declare it a lemon and the dealer has to refund you or give you a new car?