YACT: Is the Porsche boxtser a girly car?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MysticLlama

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2000
I've driven a bunch of them, it'll still be stiff when it's done, that's the point.

Did the tires, brakes were worse than suspension, and a safety issue, so that was done next, but had to do the wheels at the same time to clear the brakes, the old wheels weren't big enough. And they didn't add more than a couple lbs. anyway, they are forged BBSs.

I realize there are a lot of improvements in the newer cars, but that's not what I was going for with this one. Mine is both faster and handles better than a late G50 car, and once I get a few more things done will outdo the later cars as well (for what I do with it)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: MysticLlama
But anyways. back on topic.... I still don't think Boxsters are girly. :)

because you drive one.

i am not saying they are a bad car though.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I miss my Boxster.

I have to agree with MysticLlama. Boxster is a great cruising vert and great for short or long road trips. Extremely comfortable and you can easily fit two full size luggage bags in the front and back trunk.

Mine was speed yellow with matching yellow seatbelts, yellow leather stitching, and yellow roll bar.

I'm again in the market for a new vert since my s2000 was totaled and have narrowed it down to used C5 Vert or Boxster S. I'm just waiting for a right deal to come along.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
All depends on where you live.

In Manitoba a Boxster is still very elite, so you'd be fine with one. In California people will probably laugh at you.

bwatson283

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2006
my dad has a 99 boxter, but he rarely drives it. It is more of a garage decoration. He did the rim exchange though, after he got it he traded them in for the chrome ones. 18'' in front, and 19'' in the rear. He was wise on the colors though, he got the Navy blue clearcoat, navy leather interior, and navy rag top.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004
Where the hell did the OP go?

/thread

i went out to dinner.

anyways i came up with the list of cars based on what i want and can afford (hense SLK280 istead of SLK350)

obviously I know the boxster isn't particuarly fast for how much it costs. i love the way the new one looks. My friends gf drives a 04 boxster, and I love the way it handles; haven't had a chance to test drive the 2nd gen yet.

Anyways for the record:
no I cannot afford a 911

the S2000 is a little too raw for me

current car: IS300

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
link......... ON FIRST THREAD POST, op? pictures pix pix pix picSSSSSSSSS

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
Well, speaking as a 4-time Miata owner, I can't tell you how often I got ridiculed for driving a chicks car. But then I started replying with, "You're right, this is a chicks car. You should see how many chicks I get with this thing!" That shuts 'em up, real fast, every time.

Having also spent some hours behind the wheel of a Boxster, I can tell you that they kick ass, and being the only car on your list with a mid-engine getup says something else. If you've never pounced on the accelerator and heard the engine spool up BEHIND you, then you don't know what it's like to fly a roadborne jet.

Lastly, growing up with a father with a lust for the exotics has taught me one thing: Brand loyalty. Many folks buy Mercedes after Mercedes after Mercedes. Or Porsche after Porsche after Porsche. When Porsche offers an entry-level brand, it's not so much to "cheapen the brand" or "sell more cars". What Porsche (or anyone else) is trying to do is to appeal to the younger "not yet rich but will be" crowd and start building up loyalty in a younger customer base. These companies know that when the budding yuppie gets a few more promotions or whatever, then he'll be after that $150K Porsche. If he had been pleased with his cheapo Boxster, guess what he'll sink that $150K on. Another Porsche. A big one. Same with Aston offering the Vantage V8. And Merc with their SLK roadsters. And company xxx with their yyy.