YACT: Holy Hell in a handbasket. Update: Compression check done. Results; Dismal. Update: Engine is alive.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Look around and check all vacuum lines, eliminate any chance of false air getting into the
manifold. EGR valve operation should be closed @ idle. If your not sure of the hose routing
get a chilton's or take a trip to the bone yard and see of you can find a victim still intact.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BUTCH1
Look around and check all vacuum lines, eliminate any chance of false air getting into the
manifold. EGR valve operation should be closed @ idle. If your not sure of the hose routing
get a chilton's or take a trip to the bone yard and see of you can find a victim still intact.
The EGR valve consists of the EGR valve itself, and the EGR vacuum modulator.

The vacuum modulator has two input ports on it. Each one goes to a different port on a spacer that went with the old carburetor. Each port represents a different level of vacuum, depending on the throttle position.

All I have available is an intake manifold port. I just put a T and ran vacuum to both ports. This causes the EGR to recirculate all the time, I'm assuming.. It does cause it to idle a little more rough than with it disconnected.

I don't think there is a way to hook it up "stock". I really don't know. This carburetor kit assumes you know your sh!t.. It doesn't tell you how to do anything, other than very generic installation instructions.

I have so much money in this car, but I'm seriously thinking about selling it. I just can't afford to be having car trouble with this job.

But I could end up with another car that needs a bunch of work, too. Arg! I don't know what to do.

It still smokes a little, although not as much. These engines have a known problem with their oil rings.

I don't know if it will pass DEQ. After I get it tuned and running well, I'll take it through DEQ. If it doesn't pass, I'm just going to sell it. There's still a few months left on the tags, and it will be easier to sell it that way than with expired tags.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Maybe you could use the spacer from the original carb ? Weird they would sell you a car-specific
kit without proper instructions.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Checked the plugs out after ~160 miles today.

They look pretty good.

#1 is nice and tan. This is also the cylinder nearest the EGR.. lol

#2 is oil fouled. That must be where the smoke is coming from. It must be a problem with the head.. maybe they botched a valve stem seal installation?

#3 is tan, but on the whitish side.. especially near the exhaust valve.

#4 is the same as #3.

Things are looking up, although I need to figure out where the oil thats getting into #2 is coming from.

Considering that compression in #2 was nominal, I'm guessing its from the head. DOH!

/mutters something unintelligible under his breath
Originally posted by: BUTCH1
Maybe you could use the spacer from the original carb ? Weird they would sell you a car-specific
kit without proper instructions.

The instructions are just generic. IE: "Now hook up everything you disconnected from the stock carburetor".. lol.

I'll figure this out. It's not impossible.

Oil getting into #2 has thrown me for a loop though.

M2008S

Jan 4, 2006
wow forget my orig post, i feel like a tard reviving a post going on 9 mos old. is that beast still alive?

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: M2008S
wow forget my orig post, i feel like a tard reviving a post going on 9 mos old. is that beast still alive?

He dumped the Tercel, got a Focus, totaled it, and picked up a used Honda Insight that is serving him well.

/stalker