XMas..... Taking the Christ out of Christmas

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Almost nobody really understands, or celebrates what Christmas is all about anymore.

Quite true. Instead of praying for the sun to regain its strength we celebrate the Son of God's birth on a day which isn't close to the day he was born.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I never use "x-mas".

doesn't make sense really, it isn't cross-mas, how did such a silly abbreviation get started ?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: PELarson
Almost nobody really understands, or celebrates what Christmas is all about anymore.

Quite true. Instead of praying for the sun to regain its strength we celebrate the Son of God's birth on a day which isn't close to the day he was born.

YOU hethan! we should burn you at the stake! hmm steak...

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Christmas is a pagan event made by the Romans back in the day. They did a good job tying to Christianity no?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Tom
I never use "x-mas".

doesn't make sense really, it isn't cross-mas, how did such a silly abbreviation get started ?

didnt read the thread did you?

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Tom
I never use "x-mas".

didnt read the thread did you?

Haha, no, but then now that I have, I think guildwiki is wrong on this one.

In my lifetime, the usage comes primarily from a desire for a shorter spelling, from sign-makers, advertisers, and lazy people. I believe all of these users of the phrase do so based on their belief the X represents the cross, not from historical knowledge they have of what symbols used to represent Christ. For that matter, the ancient uses of X to represent Christ might have been for the same reason, that the X represents the cross.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
People need something to look forward to as the days get shorter and shorter and the weather colder and colder. Who gives a sh1t what it's called? My family calls it christmas even though we aren't christian because it's too much bother to explain to anyone why we would call it something else. I view christmas as a Tradition, not an exclusively christian holy day. If the christians choose to celebrate it differently than I do, I'm not offended because it has nothing to do with me. That saying that's been beaten to death ("jesus is the reason for the season") applies to only those who believe in the christian god/religion. I don't honestly care if it's called Xmas. I'd be just as happy to call it Winter Solstice (and horror of all horrors, I tell my kids that christmas is a celebration of family and of the changing of the seasons.) And I say 'happy holidays' and call the time my children have off from school "Winter Break" and I don't care if you find that offensive to your delicate senses.

I find it more sad and deplorable that people are so self-absorbed that they will stomp around and tantrum, because it's obvious to them that their particular way of celebrating is the only correct way, and think you're somehow thumbing your nose at them for making the choices you do when in all reality, you honestly don't give their beliefs any consideration at all and thus have no impact on your decisions.

:heart:
:gift:
:)

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Auggie
Bah, first of all, it's irresponsible for Amused to give the carte blanche authority check to Wikipedia. I happen to know that the Wiki is correct in this instance, but still, don't trumpet it as fact.

I said I was about to post the same info, NOT the same link. Why? Because I knew the info in the Wiki link to be correct. In this case, I CAN trumpet it as fact... just as you end up doing.

Try comprehending instead of assuming.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
People need something to look forward to as the days get shorter and shorter and the weather colder and colder. Who gives a sh1t what it's called? My family calls it christmas even though we aren't christian because it's too much bother to explain to anyone why we would call it something else. I view christmas as a Tradition, not an exclusively christian holy day. If the christians choose to celebrate it differently than I do, I'm not offended because it has nothing to do with me. That saying that's been beaten to death ("jesus is the reason for the season") applies to only those who believe in the christian god/religion. I don't honestly care if it's called Xmas. I'd be just as happy to call it Winter Solstice (and horror of all horrors, I tell my kids that christmas is a celebration of family and of the changing of the seasons.) And I say 'happy holidays' and call the time my children have off from school "Winter Break" and I don't care if you find that offensive to your delicate senses.

I find it more sad and deplorable that people are so self-absorbed that they will stomp around and tantrum, because it's obvious to them that their particular way of celebrating is the only correct way, and think you're somehow thumbing your nose at them for making the choices you do when in all reality, you honestly don't give their beliefs any consideration at all and thus have no impact on your decisions.

:heart:
:gift:

OH GNOES TEH WAR ON XMAS!!!

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm guilty of typing Xmas a lot of times, or writing it because it's shorter and I'm, often, lazy. As far as saying it takes the Christ out of Christmas, IMO it only does in the writen form. If I were to read 'Xmas' aloud, I would pronounce it as "Christmas" with all of its religious wrath and full meaning.

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: PELarson

YOU hethan! we should burn you at the stake! hmm steak...

The god of my ancestors,Thor, was actually born on the Winter Soltice so I will be giving Thormas gifts.

Seriously.... my feeling is this celebrate Christs birthday when you want if you want. But don't go hyper about a specific date and a group of Pagan customs that are used to celebrate the birth of Christ.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Etc..... Taking the etera out of Et Cetera

I dunno if it has ever bothered anyone else, but I really don't like when people call it etc. Isn't the whole thing about Latin? I'm not a linguistic fanatic or anything, but that's just one of those things that I find irritating.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Xylitol
Originally posted by: SilentVixen
No one cares except those douche bags at Walmart
Most people who celebrate Christmas are Christian (I'm assuming)
Please, just accept the fact that the Holidays are usually called Christmas not Happy HOLIDAYS or HANUKKHA

I think that you're going to have to live with the fact that people say "Happy Christmas"
Walmart made a big deal about this last year, but not this year

Please re-read. You missed the point.

Edit: unless you're talkin to IAteYourMother

My apologies
Yea no one should take out the Christ in Christmas since the holiday is for HIM/her (For the feminists)

Feminists think Christ was a woman? :confused:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Dean
Soon I will have to shop for a holiday tree and colored lights to attract Santa.

Speaking of Santa, he has to have the worst business model ever. How he stays afloat I have no idea.

The elves work for free. It's kind of like a big commune up there at the north pole.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I wish people would stop abusing the word "pagan" in this thread. It doesn't mean what you think it does, and your school teachers lied to you when they told you about polytheistic and monotheistic religions.
Pagan meant a country bumpkin who worshiped Pan (the original Christians in Greece and Rome were city-dwellers), and modern Catholicism is just as polytheistic as the ancient Greek and Norse religions/mythologies (as they were just as monotheistic as modern Catholicism).

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Amol
Originally posted by: Eska
Anyone think it's too much of a coincidence that Jesus was born in the same day as christmas?

Anyone think that Christmas was created to be on the same day as Jesus' birth?

Anyone think that Xylitol needs a sarcasm meter?

Maybe you could get him one for xmas! ;)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Rob9874
Yeah, I don't think anyone disputes that he was a man.
Jesus was a man. God is gender-less (or how could a perfect being be anything less than both?).

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I don't see what the fuss is all about anyway...There's so little "Christ" in Christ-mas anymore anyway...While some people truly celebrate the "reason for the season", for the majority, it's mostly a merchant's holiday. I've read that retailers expect approx. 60% of their annual sales to happen in the month preceding (and the couple of days after) X-mas. How many remember seeing anything about a "Christmas Tree" anywhere in the bible?

http://www.christmas-tree.com/where.html

"Some people trace the origin of the Christmas tree to an earlier period. Even before the Christian era, trees and boughs were used for ceremonials. Egyptians, in celebrating the winter solstice -- the shortest day of the year -- brought green date palms into their homes as a symbol of "life triumphant over death". When the Romans observed the feast of saturn, part of the ceremony was the raising of an evergreen bough. The early Scandinavians were said to have paid homage to the fir tree.

To the Druids, sprigs of evergreen holly in the house meant eternal life; while to the Norsemen, they symbolized the revival of the sun god Balder. To those inclined toward superstition, branches of evergreens placed over the door kept out witches, ghosts, evil spirits and the like."

So, in the spirit of Gift-mas...
Buy...Buy..Buy...