XMas..... Taking the Christ out of Christmas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Well, I have seen people abbreviate Christian with Xtian. X = cross.

But yeah, I prefer CHRISTmas to Xmas.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: SilentVixen
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Xmas has been its nickname for over 50 years. Where the hell have you been?

Just be thankful that you don't live in one of those communities that really is trying to remove all things related to christmas. They're actually kind of rare, but it's still screwed up. So long as you can still hear "Merry Christmas" and see Santa Clause at the mall surrounded by christmas decorations and signs all around town referencing christmas, there's really nothing to worry about. In fact, I don't even remember the last time I heard it called Xmas outside of a Looney Toons episode

The point is not that it has been that way for over 50 years. I see it all the time on AT.

dude, its just so we don't have to type as much...

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas
"Xmas" and "X-mas" are common abbreviations of the word "Christmas". They are sometimes pronounced "eksmas", but they, and variants such as "Xtemass", originated as handwriting abbreviations for the pronunciation "Christmas". The "-mas" part came from the Anglo-Saxon for "festival", "religious event": Cristesmæsse or Cristemæsse. This abbreviation is widely but not universally accepted; some view it as demeaning to Christ, whilst others find it a helpful abbreviation.

This 1922 Ladies Home Journal advertisement uses "Xmas".The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as 1021 AD. This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters ? and ?), used in ancient abbreviations for ???st?? (Greek for "Christ") (see Labarum), and are still widely seen in many Eastern Orthodox icons depicting Jesus Christ.

Many people believe that the term is part of an effort to "take Christ out of Christmas" or to literally "cross out Christ";[citation needed] it is also seen as evidence of the secularization of Christmas or a vehicle for pushing political correctness, or as a symptom of the commercialization of the holiday (as the abbreviation has long been used by retailers).

The occasionally felt belief that the "X" represents the cross Christ was crucified on has no basis in fact; regardless, St Andrew's Cross is X-shaped, but Christ's cross was probably shaped like a T or a ?. Indeed, X-as-chi was associated with Christ long before X-as-cross could be, since the cross as a Christian symbol developed later. (The Greek letter Chi ? stood for "Christ" in the ancient Greek acrostic ??T?S ichthys.) While some see the spelling of Christmas as Xmas a threat, others see it as a way to honor the martyrs. The use of X as an abbreviation for "cross" in modern abbreviated writing (e.g. "Kings X" for "Kings Cross") may have reinforced this assumption.

In ancient Christian art ? and ?? are abbreviations for Christ's name.[citation needed] In many manuscripts of the New Testament and icons, X is an abbreviation for Christos, as is XC (the first and last letters in Greek, using the lunate sigma); compare IC for Jesus in Greek. The Oxford English Dictionary documents the use of this abbreviation back to 1551, 50 years before the first English colonists came to North America and 60 years before the King James Version of the Bible was completed. At the same time, Xian and Xianity were in frequent use as abbreviations of "Christian" and "Christianity"; and nowadays still are sometimes so used, but much less than "Xmas". The proper names containing the name "Christ" other than aforementioned are rarely abbreviated in this way (e.g. Hayden Xensen for the actor name "Hayden Christensen"). Pop artist Christina Aguilera is known to spell her first name as 'Xtina'.

This apparent usage of "X" to spell the syllable "kris" (rather than the sounds "ks") has extended to "xtal" for "crystal", and on florists' signs "xant" for "chrysanthemum"[citation needed] (though these words are not etymologically related to "Christ"; "crystal" comes from a Greek word meaning "ice", and "chrysanthemum" from Greek words meaning "golden flower", while "Christ" comes from a Greek word meaning "anointed").

In the animated television show Futurama, which is set in the 31st century, Xmas is the official name for the day formerly known as Christmas (which has become an "archaic pronunciation").

And now we have the facts.

Thanks Boomer. I was about to post much the same info.

Folks, the X is not disrespectful. Never was.

Of course, facts often do little to quell the ignorant knee-jerk reactions. I doubt this will be the last time we hear of this on these forums.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
People who get riled up by Xmas and "Happy Holidays" need to get with the Spirit of the Season. :p
Originally posted by: Eska
Anyone think it's too much of a coincidence that Jesus was born in the same day as christmas?
No he wasn't.

shamgar03

Jul 13, 2004
XMas doesn't even make sense. If you are going to glob it should be *Mas

edit: this was a joke and I understand they weren't just abbreviating randomly.

phisrow

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2004
Umm,Xmas is an abbreviation derived from the abbreviation for Christ that comes from the Greek. Apparently Xp, later just X, has been used for around one millennium. Xmas has at least 200 years of use behind it. Absolutely nothing to do with the alleged war on Christmas.

Sure, it's a rather inaesthetic abbreviation; but it has more solidly Christian credentials than most Christians do.

Auggie

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2003
Bah, first of all, it's irresponsible for Amused to give the carte blanche authority check to Wikipedia. I happen to know that the Wiki is correct in this instance, but still, don't trumpet it as fact.

Furthermore, although Xmas has Greco-Christian history as a legitimate association with Christ, it certainly seems the case that people who do, actually, want to get rid of the Christ in Christmas use Xmas because for many, it does just that. Just because historically a word, phrase or meme holds a certain meaning doesn't mean that the same holds true in modern times - there can be radically different associations.

kmrivers

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Who cares? I am not christian but I celebrate Christmas/Xmas/Sh*tmas whatever. It is more a commercial holiday and it is quite fun I think. Besides, I don't the ruler of the damn universe would really care what we call his birthday

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: PurdueRy
Originally posted by: Amol
Originally posted by: Xylitol
Anyone think it's too much of a coincidence that Jesus was born in the same day as christmas?

Anyone think that Christmas was created to be on the same day as Jesus' birth?

Anyone think that Xylitol needs a sarcasm meter?

except he was most likely not born on December 25th
I was going to say it's just winter solstice.. most Christian holidays are for some strange reason always very close to pagan ones ;)

Religion is a device to keep people in control is all.. and with X-mas Corporate America figured out how to milk people and make christians look like hypocrites to boot.. fine by me. I don't see how either God giving himself as Jesus or the 3 kings gifts could ever translate into this Blackfriday until the 24th mess this place is.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
Originally posted by: PurdueRy
Originally posted by: Amol

Anyone think that Xylitol needs a sarcasm meter?

except he was most likely not born on December 25th
I was going to say it's just winter solstice.. most Christian holidays are for some strange reason always very close to pagan ones ;)

Religion is a device to keep people in control is all.. and with X-mas Corporate America figured out how to milk people and make christians look like hypocrites to boot.. fine by me. I don't see how either God giving himself as Jesus or the 3 kings gifts could ever translate into this Blackfriday until the 24th mess this place is.

Probably due to the quote below
English historian Bede's Historia ecclesiastica gentis Anglorum ("Ecclesiastic History of the English People") contains a letter from Pope Gregory I to Saint Mellitus, who was then on his way to England to conduct missionary work among the heathen Anglo-Saxons. The Pope suggests that converting heathens is easier if they are allowed to retain the outward forms of their traditional pagan practices and traditions, while recasting those traditions spiritually towards the one true God instead of to their pagan gods (whom the Pope refers to as "devils"), "to the end that, whilst some gratifications are outwardly permitted them, they may the more easily consent to the inward consolations of the grace of God". [1] The Pope sanctions such conversion tactics as Biblically acceptable, pointing out that God did much the same thing with the ancient Israelites and their pagan sacrifices.

quoted from Text

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I thought that XMas meant Extreme Christmas?

Ho well, I learn something new every day. Thanks

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Amused
And now we have the facts.

Thanks Boomer. I was about to post much the same info.

Folks, the X is not disrespectful. Never was.

Of course, facts often do little to quell the ignorant knee-jerk reactions. I doubt this will be the last time we hear of this on these forums.

Yeah, I was going to post that too. People don't realize it's not secularists X-ing out "Christ". Although, I'm sure some use it as such.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Man created Christmas, and man has changed Christmas. It's not like Jesus or God ever plopped his/her/it's head down from the Heavens and proclaimed that we will celebrate his/her/it's birthday on the 25th of December by buying gifts and giving them to each other.

I don't see anyone launching XBox 360s into the clouds so Jesus can play Oblivion without having to upgrade his video card.

I'm sure replacing Christ with X doesn't offend Jesus, as Christ never stepped down from the heavens and asked us to celebrate it in the first place.
I've always found it more offensive for someone to insult the intelligence of God by saying G-D instead of God Damn. Because saying it out loud is so much more offensive..lol.
Like God doesn't know what you are thinking mortal.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Soon I will have to shop for a holiday tree and colored lights to attract Santa.

Speaking of Santa, he has to have the worst business model ever. How he stays afloat I have no idea.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Dean
Soon I will have to shop for a holiday tree and colored lights to attract Santa.

Speaking of Santa, he has to have the worst business model ever. How he stays afloat I have no idea.

You should see the check he gets from Wal-Mart to keep people buying stuff every December.

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
I really dont see what the big deal is all about. The way I see it xmas has nothing to do with religion and is more or less a orgy of consumerism!i

OSUCowboy

Aug 4, 2006
I'm reserved to the fact that it will always be X-Mas to some people. That doesn't bug me, people are going to call it what they will. As it was mentioned pages ago, Jesus wasn't actually born in December, he was born in July. Christmas is on December 25th to correspond with the old Pagan holiday.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Pacemaker
Originally posted by: Dean

You should see the check he gets from Wal-Mart to keep people buying stuff every December.

Are you implying Santa subcontracts all the work out? Kinda sounds like Nvidia and ATI. They are red and green also, Xmas colors. hmmmmmm. Now we know who really is behind it all.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Pacemaker
BTW Christmas was originally the pagan holiday of Yule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

Oh no now Christians will stop celebrating Christmas like they stopped celebrating Halloween.

Actually, it's a lot older than that. Christmas was originally the winter solstice festival of the birth of Sol Invictus (God of the Undying Sun). Much of Christianity comes from the worship of Sol Invictus and Mithras.

Celebrating the winter solstice is probably humanity's oldest festival.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
People need something to look forward to as the days get shorter and shorter and the weather colder and colder. Who gives a sh1t what it's called? My family calls it christmas even though we aren't christian because it's too much bother to explain to anyone why we would call it something else. I view christmas as a Tradition, not an exclusively christian holy day. If the christians choose to celebrate it differently than I do, I'm not offended because it has nothing to do with me. That saying that's been beaten to death ("jesus is the reason for the season") applies to only those who believe in the christian god/religion. I don't honestly care if it's called Xmas. I'd be just as happy to call it Winter Solstice (and horror of all horrors, I tell my kids that christmas is a celebration of family and of the changing of the seasons.) And I say 'happy holidays' and call the time my children have off from school "Winter Break" and I don't care if you find that offensive to your delicate senses.

I find it more sad and deplorable that people are so self-absorbed that they will stomp around and tantrum, because it's obvious to them that their particular way of celebrating is the only correct way, and think you're somehow thumbing your nose at them for making the choices you do when in all reality, you honestly don't give their beliefs any consideration at all and thus have no impact on your decisions.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
People need something to look forward to as the days get shorter and shorter and the weather colder and colder. Who gives a sh1t what it's called? My family calls it christmas even though we aren't christian because it's too much bother to explain to anyone why we would call it something else. I view christmas as a Tradition, not an exclusively christian holy day. If the christians choose to celebrate it differently than I do, I'm not offended because it has nothing to do with me. That saying that's been beaten to death ("jesus is the reason for the season") applies to only those who believe in the christian god/religion. I don't honestly care if it's called Xmas. I'd be just as happy to call it Winter Solstice (and horror of all horrors, I tell my kids that christmas is a celebration of family and of the changing of the seasons.) And I say 'happy holidays' and call the time my children have off from school "Winter Break" and I don't care if you find that offensive to your delicate senses.

I find it more sad and deplorable that people are so self-absorbed that they will stomp around and tantrum, because it's obvious to them that their particular way of celebrating is the only correct way, and think you're somehow thumbing your nose at them for making the choices you do when in all reality, you honestly don't give their beliefs any consideration at all and thus have no impact on your decisions.
:thumbsup:
If all that could fit in my sig, I'd put it there.
Happy Holidays! :D

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Not true, If I remember correctly the time when the romans were calling everyone back to their hometowns to be accounted for was actually in the spring. The church decided on the 24 of december in order to coincide with both roman/greek and pagan holidays for the solstice. They wanted to party at the same time as everyone else... and it was an easier transition for converts. Easter is the same way. Its all propaganda... If i was jesus I'd be pis sed. Imagine someone changing your birthday to brainwash the masses.