Xiaomi Mix

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Looks pretty cool, hopefully they bring something like this in a slightly smaller size to North America.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Oh, I'm not denying that it looks superb, and I'd like to see Apple push for a more efficient design. It's just hilarious how enthusiasts will rule out great phones simply because of the bezel size. You say it has the best mobile camera ever, blistering performance and convenient features, but there's a substantial chin on it? Filth.

You start to wonder if they'd worship a phone that was absolute garbage simply because it had a high screen-to-body ratio. Sharp's Aquos Crystal was a decent phone, but you know that it wouldn't have received even a casual glance if it weren't for the bezel.

The crystal was by all accounts a pretty mediocre phone, but their problem was it's a sharp, ie not a fashionable brand where looks really matter.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Oh, I'm not denying that it looks superb, and I'd like to see Apple push for a more efficient design. It's just hilarious how enthusiasts will rule out great phones simply because of the bezel size. You say it has the best mobile camera ever, blistering performance and convenient features, but there's a substantial chin on it? Filth.

You start to wonder if they'd worship a phone that was absolute garbage simply because it had a high screen-to-body ratio. Sharp's Aquos Crystal was a decent phone, but you know that it wouldn't have received even a casual glance if it weren't for the bezel.

Not "Filth", rather "It would have been an instant buy, but because it's physically ugly I'm not as inclined to get it and will weigh my options.

I'd still get the Pixel XL all things considered. I think it's ugly and dated, and looks a lot like an iPhone, but if I had to get a phone I would still get the Pixel.

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
Xiaomi won't launch the Mi Note 2 and Mi Mix outside China

http://www.androidcentral.com/xiaomi-mi-note-2-mi-mix-china
that surprises noone who buys imported phones (like myself). Risk of getting sued, certification, after-sale support, carrier bloatware BS, etc. But chinese mfgrs have been "selling" phones worldwide for awhile. There's a reason why huawei/xiaomi/oneplus/etc offer global LTE bands on the majority of their domestic phones, so even though they're not going to sell major quantities, they have been selling indirectly to the global market through a lot of the major importers out there.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
truly an amazing looking phone!
cant believe the earpiece is behind the glass. 3 years ago, i wouldnt even touch a chinese phone. but now im actually using 1. this xiaomi phone is way too big for my taste. hopefully there will be a compact version

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm sure someone said Apple should be scared when the Note 7 was released. I'd wait and see if there are no issues with the concept first.

TBF the Note line totally disrupted Apples strategy for phones.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
If Apple does something similar next year as is rumored, you can bet everyone is going to say it's the best looking iPhone of all time.
Whatever rumors those are, I feel like they are bogus. Next year is the S model.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Whatever rumors those are, I feel like they are bogus. Next year is the S model.

This year is the s+1 year, first time they've gone 3 years without a complete redesign. Next year will be a new design.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
This looks like a great phone. Im sad that samsung didnt come out with a phone like this before the chinese market did. But the good news is that xiaomi isnt a flyby company and have been releasing some very good products. Once i see it in stores (im in china now) and can test it out in person it will probably be my next phone.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
This year is the s+1 year, first time they've gone 3 years without a complete redesign. Next year will be a new design.
That's a stretch.

This year is the 7. Next year is the 7S.

Just because the redesign "wasn't enough" doesn't mean it wasn't the redesign year.

They can prove me wrong next year, but I'm not buying that as a reason. That's paper thin.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
That's a stretch.

Just because the redesign "wasn't enough" doesn't mean it wasn't the redesign year.

They can prove me wrong next year, but I'm not buying that as a reason. That's paper thin.

Multiple credible sources (Bloomberg, the Wall Street Journal) have the 2017 iPhone representing a big redesign. You're getting a conservative iPhone 7 now because a lot of effort is going into next year's model.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
That's a stretch.

I have no idea why they did what they did, but next year is supposed to be a complete new device. There are multiple sources

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
I have no idea why they did what they did, but next year is supposed to be a complete new device. There are multiple sources

Than how can they name is 7S? S was always under the hood speed improvements, if i am not mistaken.
I suppose they can just skip straight to 8. Might be good marketing.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Than how can they name is 7S? S was always under the hood speed improvements, if i am not mistaken.
I suppose they can just skip straight to 8. Might be good marketing.

I don't know what they're going to call it. It may be the Steve Jobs Memorial Edition for all I know.

Last edited:

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Man, that phone is fugly...Too big, MIUI skinned rubbish, etc...

The bezels are not symmetrical not to mention they're too close to the edge of the screen and will lead to accidental taps when holding the phone in my palm.
Sorry to say, but as much as I dislike the big bezels on the Google Pixel, I still prefer that design over this nonsense.
Color me skeptical, but I'm also not a fan of the Samsung "EDGE" design with the screen bending in certain directions...But then again, I'm in the minority.

The race for a bezel-less smartphone (similar to the race for "thinness") is starting to get ridiculous. I think once a phone is in the 75-80% range and the bezels are symmetrical, it's good enough for me.

And what's the deal with the camera at the bottom?

It's roughly the same physical size as the 7 Plus and Pixel XL.
If Apple does something similar next year as is rumored, you can bet everyone is going to say it's the best looking iPhone of all time.
Those phones are too big. ;)

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
http://www.xiaomitoday.com/crumpled-xiaomi-mi-mix-image-hits/

Well good concept but if it's really that fragile, ugh. The write-up guesses that it wasn't even a screen landing yet both the ceramic body and screen cracked.
Heck, even the iPhone 7 or the Galaxy 7 wouldn't survive that... That's a BIG and critical problem of current flagships... they doesn't resist a drop from that kind. Even Gorilla Glass or Dragontail Glass can't protect that.

And weird enough it happened with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 which I have and it survived like a champ. And then to an old Moto G1 with a worse falling... it survived too.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Heck, even the iPhone 7 or the Galaxy 7 wouldn't survive that... That's a BIG and critical problem of current flagships... they doesn't resist a drop from that kind. Even Gorilla Glass or Dragontail Glass can't protect that.

And weird enough it happened with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 which I have and it survived like a champ. And then to an old Moto G1 with a worse falling... it survived too.

There are a lot of phones that can take a hit to the back, corners, or edges without being damaged much. The Mix doesn't look like it could survive even a short fall unless it landed flat on the back.

The phone has the "concept" tag for a reason. It's just not practical to go bezel-less at this point. I know all the bezel hating enthusiasts drool over the design of phones like the Mix, but the sci-fi pane-of-crystal phone isn't quite a good, real-world idea yet. Not if you want a phone that isn't just for show.

Even from a design standpoint, I'm more interested in what Sharp is doing. The Mix is Xiaomi's take on bezel-less, but they aren't the first or only approach.

28qyqeq.jpg

Last edited: