Xiaomi Mix

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016

Im liking the look, a lot.

fVHYGr5.png

Adam595

Jul 29, 2016
Looks good. I hope this is the future, rather than curved screens that I can't put a screen protector on :-(

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I will be the outlier on this one but I really dislike this design so much. PLEASE don't let this be the future of phones.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
I will be the outlier on this one but I really dislike this design so much. PLEASE don't let this be the future of phones.
Yeah don't like the design (too) much, anyway this is a monster phone & definitely needs a second thought (or gasp) considering its size.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Yeah don't like the design (too) much, anyway this is a monster phone & definitely needs a second thought (or gasp) considering its size.

I didn't even realize it was so huge till I reread the specs, agreed, too big.

Megatomic, check out this piece by Robert Scoble, I'm pretty sure he's drinking again after reading it. (The guy just got out of detox). https://www.facebook.com/RobertScoble/posts/10154613869624655

Transparent phones for everyone!

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I didn't even realize it was so huge till I reread the specs, agreed, too big.

Megatomic, check out this piece by Robert Scoble, I'm pretty sure he's drinking again after reading it. (The guy just got out of detox). https://www.facebook.com/RobertScoble/posts/10154613869624655

Transparent phones for everyone!
The last several years have taught me to never believe stuff like this anymore - leaps are unrealistic, slow crawls are the reality.

I do like the design of this phone, assuming they nailed palm rejection and other possible touch issues. I was initially turned off by the size but the published dimensions are not that far off than the iPhone 7 Plus. I am surprised by basically a 1080p screen at 6.4" which is barely acceptable.

If this can live up to the hype of its design, then it'll be a winner. But I certainly wouldn't buy it without some real-life reviews. The screen size without top and side bezels also make me concerned about durability.

This phone: 158.8 x 81.9 x 7.9 mm (6.25 x 3.22 x 0.31 in)
iPhone 7 Plus: 158.2 x 77.9 x 7.3 mm (6.23 x 3.07 x 0.29 in)

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
I'm a bezel-free whore.

Day 1 purchase. Oh the specs aren't bad either, I just hope it's not +$1000.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
If they let me buy one, I will.

Seriously though, that is gorgeous. While I actually prefer symmetric deisigns and would have liked to see a tiny bezel up top to match and house the camera and speaker, this is cool stuff. I wonder if it will work on US networks.

Last edited:

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
23df94ca93f35e0a728f76d1fe501538a91a29b9.jpeg

Here is arstechnia on it

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...th-the-mi-mix-a-nearly-bezel-less-smartphone/

One thing I like is they are using a 17x9 display so with android controls you still get a 16x9 image

Mi_MIX_07.0.png

And here is the verge

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/25/13401440/xiaomi-mi-mix-concept-phone-specs-release-date-price

GSM arena has lte bands listed

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_mix-8400.php

Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
Speed HSPA, LTE

LTE for AT&T uses Band 2 (1900 mhz), Band 4 (1700/2100 mhz), Band 5 (850 mhz), Band 17 (700 b and c mhz)
LTE for T-Mobile uses Band 2(1900 mhz), Band 4 (1700/2100 mhz), Band 12 (700a mhz)

So to answer Red Storm and probably other people's questions

If they let me buy one, I will. I wonder if it will work on US networks.
No Sprint or Verizon, some of the bands for T-Mobile and AT&T but not all of the LTE bands so that is disappointing.

Last edited:

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
What an engineering marvel!

Apple & Samsung should be scared.

I'm sure someone said Apple should be scared when the Note 7 was released. I'd wait and see if there are no issues with the concept first.

Also, Sharp didn't make any inroads as far sales with their minimal bezels Aquos Crystal design, and that was 2 years ago. It's definitely eyecandy, but I'm waiting for flexible displays without glass to be impressed by bezel-less designs. Large phones with that much glass and virtually no bezels are not fun to use on the go.

Last edited:

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
Really loving the cantilever piezoelectric ceramic acoustic technology and also the ultrasonic proximity sensor.

Engrish sub below..

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
I'm sure someone said Apple should be scared when the Note 7 was released. I'd wait and see if there are no issues with the concept first.

Also, Sharp hasn't made any inroads as far sales with their minimal bezels Aquos design. It's definitely eyecandy, but I'm waiting for flexible displays without glass to be impressed by bezel-less designs. Large phones with that much glass and virtually no bezels are not fun to use on the go.
Apple/Samsung can rest on their laurels with the kind of customer base that they have and not having to worry about R&D budget for technology like this. Guys like Xiaomi/Huawei/Oppo/Oneplus/etc have to take tremendous risk (or priced at tremendous value) to stay relevant, which is why Sharp didn't pursue the Aquos line any further. They're not a primary smartphone OEM and they were certainly didn't have the R&D budget to explore some of the engineering issues plaguing the Aquos back then.

Flexible displays would be on my list as well, but like progress, if you're not willing to explore and redefine new tech then you'll be stuck like Apple who can't seem to get rid of the 10yo home screen button.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Apple/Samsung can rest on their laurels with the kind of customer base that they have and not having to worry about R&D budget for technology like this. Guys like Xiaomi/Huawei/Oppo/Oneplus/etc have to take tremendous risk (or priced at tremendous value) to stay relevant, which is why Sharp didn't pursue the Aquos line any further. They're not a primary smartphone OEM and they were certainly didn't have the R&D budget to explore some of the engineering issues plaguing the Aquos back then.

Flexible displays would be on my list as well, but like progress, if you're not willing to explore and redefine new tech then you'll be stuck like Apple who can't seem to get rid of the 10yo home screen button.

Xiaomi/Huawei don't need the american market to be relevant.

This phone is simply awesome. It's actually smaller than the nexus 6, which already has rather good screen ratio.

It's basically going to be sold out for the next year within a few seconds of when they release it.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
If you believe internet forums, the near-total absence of bezels automatically makes it the best phone of all time.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
its cool in concept but its too fing big

also mui is a horrible skin

It's roughly the same physical size as the 7 Plus and Pixel XL.

If you believe internet forums, the near-total absence of bezels automatically makes it the best phone of all time.

If Apple does something similar next year as is rumored, you can bet everyone is going to say it's the best looking iPhone of all time.

Also, the phone by Sharp that is similarly designed has a HUGE bottom chin, which really kills the look. The bottom bezel on this phone is really slim, so it actually looks nice. I would prefer really slim bezels on the top and bottom for symmetrical design (and holding the phone in landscape).

Last edited:

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016

I thought I was pretty much function over form, but I really like the design of the mix.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
If Apple does something similar next year as is rumored, you can bet everyone is going to say it's the best looking iPhone of all time.

Also, the phone by Sharp that is similarly designed has a HUGE bottom chin, which really kills the look. The bottom bezel on this phone is really slim, so it actually looks nice. I would prefer really slim bezels on the top and bottom for symmetrical design (and holding the phone in landscape).

Oh, I'm not denying that it looks superb, and I'd like to see Apple push for a more efficient design. It's just hilarious how enthusiasts will rule out great phones simply because of the bezel size. You say it has the best mobile camera ever, blistering performance and convenient features, but there's a substantial chin on it? Filth.

You start to wonder if they'd worship a phone that was absolute garbage simply because it had a high screen-to-body ratio. Sharp's Aquos Crystal was a decent phone, but you know that it wouldn't have received even a casual glance if it weren't for the bezel.

Reactions: Crono

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
It's roughly the same physical size as the 7 Plus and Pixel XL.

Ahh read size wrong.