XFX R9 290X listed on Norwegian webshop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
You guys have it all wrong. Newegg had the 290X listed at 9999$ a week ago or so. That is obviously going to be the price, it's completely plausible. Heck, if it's over 9000 it has to be good.

I saw a promotional where you get BF4 and they give you 290X free.
If you upgrade to Premium though they give you two 290X for Crossfire.
But I'll wait for the Titan Ultra since it'll cost probably around $1200 and we all know the more you pay the better the performance is right?

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
It supports light boost with gsync so I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't love it. I haven't been this excited about desktop gaming in several years but this feature has me chomping at the bit. Which goes back to our earlier discussion, Nvidia knows people like me who were looking for the next leap in gaming tech will jump at this and it's nv specific. So that means I'd buy an Nvidia card over AMD if I needed one. Many people will make the same decision. Mark my words.

As for the R290x price I'd guess $599.

Fwiw will be interesting to see what AMD does/respnds on this front.

AMD's David Nalasco was the one who floated the idea. We've known that such a thing was possible for quite some time.

Bet they wished now they should have acted on this now^

AMD will need to counter with its own version of this tech, of course. The obvious path would be to work with partners who make display ASICs and perhaps to drive the creation of an open VESA standard to compete with G-Sync. That would be a typical AMD move—and a good one. There's something to be said for AMD entering the display ASIC business itself, though, given where things may be headed.

http://techreport.com/blog/25542/a-few-thoughts-on-nvidia-g-sync

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
It supports light boost with gsync so I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't love it. I haven't been this excited about desktop gaming in several years but this feature has me chomping at the bit. Which goes back to our earlier discussion, Nvidia knows people like me who were looking for the next leap in gaming tech will jump at this and it's nv specific. So that means I'd buy an Nvidia card over AMD if I needed one. Many people will make the same decision. Mark my words.

I think gsync looks great too. Wake me up when I don't have to use a low budget TN monitor to use it though. Not giving up picture quality and overall IQ just in the name of smoothness at the cost of having a washed out image. Nvidia could lock me in to their cards, but they'll need to wake up to the reality a lot of people don't want to use garbage monitors after using IPS.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Did you purposely cut out the second sentence in his post, where he compares it to the price of the GTX 780 from the same shop?

Seems you did... :hmm:

No, I didn't. It seems this went over both of your heads then. XB1 costs $1000 USD and PS4 costs $1850 USD in Brazil. Do you need me to repeat myself that pricing of products in foreign countries may not have anything to do with US pricing? You cannot compare how NV vs. AMD cards are priced relative to each other in the US/Canada against say Romania vs. UK vs. Denmark vs. Australia/New Zealand. vs. Brazil. That's not how things work. What is the point of linking pricing of GPUs in Norway? Unless you live in Norway, this is meaningless info.

What he posted it tells us nothing at all about MSRP of R9 290X in the US/Canada or the rest of Europe, Asia and Oceania.

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
I sure hope AMD works with Nvidia to push for an open standard. The tech sounds great but I really don't want to pay out the nose for an Nvidia card so I can use it.

I do too and I am sure they will but want to hear my crazy alterative posiible thought? Don't laugh but I am thinking maybe a possible AMD/Nvidia/Mantle/G Syn might work something out together (agreement) on these techs? This G syn sounds like its coming to TN first then IPS and not sure how good it will work on IPS as it will on TN's per article I linked. This also all this sounds like it will be awhile before it comes out on TN's first then later on IPS and I only care about IPS.

Granseth

May 6, 2009
Guys just get it, especially GPUs are way more expensive outside of US. R9 280X are $350++ here, eg. $350 is the cheapest but goes easily up to $450. 7970 was even more before that. And Norway seems to be even more expensive.

Most GPU prices in Norway is comparable to US +25% VAT, the cheaper cards are a little bit more expensive and the more expensive are on par. But this is prerelease prices, so I wouldn't read to much into it.

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
No, I didn't. It seems this went over both of your heads then. XB1 costs $1000 USD and PS4 costs $1850 USD in Brazil. Do you need me to repeat myself that pricing of products in foreign countries may not have anything to do with US pricing? You cannot compare how NV vs. AMD cards are priced relative to each other in the US/Canada against say Romania vs. UK vs. Denmark vs. Australia/New Zealand. vs. Brazil. That's not how things work. What is the point of linking pricing of GPUs in Norway? Unless you live in Norway, this is meaningless info.

What he posted it tells us nothing at all about MSRP of R9 290X in the US/Canada or the rest of Europe, Asia and Oceania.

Come on man. Now you are just being silly.

Don`t compare a third world country like Brazil against a prospering country like Norway that share the same prices as the rest of Europe.
Our PS4 price is not much higher than XBox One.

Since our R9 290X price is higher than GTX 780, it will be the same in the rest of Europe too.
While US price is generally cheaper, our countries share the same price range on stuff. Like 7970<GTX680 etc.

Like Granseth says, it could be higher due to prerelease, but it could also be real price. Makes sense performance wise too. Why should they price it $100 below GTX 780 when 290X is beating it by a large margin? Sounds like wishful thinking. AMD doesn`t do charity. They run a business.

Last edited:

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009

Don`t compare a third world country like Brazil against a prospering country like Norway that share the same prices as the rest of Europe.

Since our R9 290X price is higher than GTX 780, it will be the same in the rest of Europe too.
While US price is generally cheaper, our countries share the same price range on stuff. Like 7970<GTX680 etc.

Like Granseth says, it could be higher due to prerelease, but it could also be real price. Makes sense performance wise too. Why should they price it $100 below GTX 780 when 290X is beating it by a large margin? Sounds like wishful thinking. AMD doesn`t do charity. They run a business.

290X Will not cost more than GTX780 in Any sane country at launch.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Lets see, faster than titan, not as hot as the original fear mongers led us to believe, overclocks well, and it's quiet.

All that's left to attack is price. When it comes out at $650 the goal posts will shift to smoothness.

Smoothness reviews will then show that it's on par or better than nvidia. At that point it will go back to the tired old AMD has bad drivers myth. Threads are progressing according to schedule.

Can't please everyone,bunch of whiners sometimes and half the people up in arms for whatever team aren't even buying jack at all. Gpu war mongers at best.:)

DarkKnightDude

Mar 10, 2011
Wouldn't be shocking if that was the actual price in Norway, but that has nothing to do with US/Canadian prices.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

I love the idea of gsync. My point was I already have a 120hz monitor which is night and day better than 60hz. I need to see how gsync compares to 120hz before I dump a perfect gaming monitor I already have.

I will likely wait until 4k gsyn is under $600. So never. :(

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I cant believe some people are so precious that they find insult over a web price, cause they view it as a slight against an as yet unreleased product...LOL

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
I think gsync looks great too. Wake me up when I don't have to use a low budget TN monitor to use it though. Not giving up picture quality and overall IQ just in the name of smoothness at the cost of having a washed out image. Nvidia could lock me in to their cards, but they'll need to wake up to the reality a lot of people don't want to use garbage monitors after using IPS.

And what makes you think it will be limited to "low budget TN" monitors? That Asus monitor you're berating is one of the best gaming monitors on the market.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
And what makes you think it will be limited to "low budget TN" monitors? That Asus monitor you're berating is one of the best gaming monitors on the market.

I watched the interview with the nvidia marketing guy and he kept ducking the question on IPS 1440p/1600p when viewers posed it. There was a question period at the end as well and numerous viewers were asking specifically about high resolution IPS screen support and the question kept being evaded.

This isn't to say it won't happen, but as yet, of the monitor vendors they have on board - none actually make a good quality monitor but for one; the 4K Asus PQ321. Decent IPS monitors only come from Dell, HP, Eizo and a few other vendors, none of which I can see going for making a SKU with the gsync module. I think the only hope is that we see someone make a board for those Korean IPS screens that get overclocked.

So it may be possible. First we actually need confirmation this technology will work on IPS though. If it's relegated to nothing but 1080p TN.... will be a shame because the poor image quality of TN is an expensive trade off to get the gsync effect in my opinion. 120hz sure isn't worth it after trying both.. so not sure on this either.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
I watched the interview with the nvidia marketing guy and he kept ducking the question on IPS 1440p/1600p when viewers posed it. There was a question period at the end as well and numerous viewers were asking specifically about high resolution IPS screen support and the question kept being evaded.

This isn't to say it won't happen, but as yet, of the monitor vendors they have on board - none actually make a good quality monitor but for one; the 4K Asus PQ321. Decent IPS monitors only come from Dell, HP, Eizo and a few other vendors, none of which I can see going for making a SKU with the gsync module. I think the only hope is that we see someone make a board for those Korean IPS screens that get overclocked.

So it may be possible. First we actually need confirmation this technology will work on IPS though. If it's relegated to nothing but 1080p TN.... will be a shame because the poor image quality of TN is an expensive trade off to get the gsync effect in my opinion. 120hz sure isn't worth it after trying both.. so not sure on this either.

So in another words you don't know.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
So in another words you don't know.

Well like my post says, of the monitor manufacturers on board as yet, none make decent monitors apart from a single $3.5K 4K monitor from Asus. So at the very least, it looks like a long time out until we see support on IPS panels.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004

You are wrong about the price. I have some visibility on my end and it is showing at least $50 cheaper than 780.

Braidster

Apr 14, 2013

I'll point out to you the PS4 is $100 cheaper then the xbox one in NA, so that pricing system sounds way off. AMD will price it as low as they can because they fear the 780i release. I'm guessing/hoping > $650 here in NA.

May 13, 2009
Just a guess but I'm betting the 290x is a minimum of $650. I believe Nvidia is already trying to get amd into a price fixing scheme by releasing the upcoming price of the 780ti. It's pretty much saying to amd that here's the price for our card please don't go any lower than that otherwise we'll have to adjust pricing as well imo.