Xeon L5639 Overclocking on X58

Page 52 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zzss

Sep 26, 2013
Xeon X5650
Thermalright U120E rev.b+single original fan
Evga E760
psb

psb
2d777a87377e801c04a42d4e76267492
48db159b34bf935dd783efaec7cb33e6

Last edited:

zzss

Sep 26, 2013
wish mine could, 250 way out there.

Nice work.

250 a bit hard to believe, but grats if it works stable.

That sounds more like fantasy land, pics?

210blck*22@1.424V can works stable i think,but 250bclk*16 with disable QPI fast link,just boot and run super pi.

Last edited:

gbeirn

Sep 27, 2005
Did a bit digging, and this time actually came up with something promising.

User Oori over on kingpincooling forum was brave enough to try crossflashing a P6TSE to P6T WS. This opens up a few more options, most interestingly the setting to disable turbo throttling.

The good news is on page 3

Anyone here with a P6T SE or Vanilla willing to confirm this works?

I would give it a shot on mine if it were a simple flashing process, I don't have a dedicated EEPROM flasher though.\

Edit: It works!!! No more turbo throttling!!! Soild 4.4GHz on all 6 cores with 200MHz BCLK!!!!

Last edited:

gbeirn

Sep 27, 2005
So I was never able to get the higher turbo bins to force on my P6T Vanilla board. While the POST screen and BIOS would show the higher CPU speed, as soon as I got into Windows it would drop regardless of the power saving settings or anything I tried.

As pointed out above, from this thread: http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669

Someone was flashing P6T WS BIOSes to boards to enable CPU Turbo Power limit. In there they were using a hardware flasher. But! It can be done using plain old AFUDOS.

You will need the engineering version of AFUDOS, I downloaded it here: https://***********************/technetsavvy/AFUDOS236-ENGINEERING_EDITION.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

The engineering edition removes any checksums and is what you would use to downgrade to a previous BIOS version. I found it also works for cross flashing the BIOS.

I discovered that here: http://www.overclock.net/t/586111/p6t-se-deal-thread-turned-discussion-cross-flash-to-p6t

where people were flashing P6T BIOSes to P6TSE boards to gain SLI support.

I grabbed the last BIOS for P6T Workstation Professional here: http://support.asus.com/download.as... PROFESSIONAL&os=30&hashedid=W8KQxy9yuW1KK0Vp

Put that and the BIOS on a DOS bootable flash drive and run the following command:

afudos /inew.rom /pbnc /n

I named the Workstation Professional BIOS new.rom.

Be careful when doing this since there are no checksums in place and it will flash whatever BIOS file you tell it to without warning you about board mismatch.

Reboot and you should have the BIOS option for CPU Turbo Power Limit.

I thought I bricked the board at first since I have two 7950s in the system and got no video after rebooting. Turns out I now had to swap the monitor cable to the other card, maybe the BIOS reorganizes which slot is primary?

You will also lose the BIOS setting for Floppy Drive and the Onboard Marvell IDE/SATA controller. I don't use them so it's no big deal for me. You will gain a setting for a Marvell SAS controller which, clearly, the board doesn't have so it doesn't do anything.

Now I can run the chip at 22x200BCLK for 4.4GHz full load on all 6 cores whereas before even if I set it to that it would throttle down to 20x200BCLK for 4.0GHz

Edit: Before Cinebench would be in the low 800s at 4 GHz, now it's in the 890s at 4.4GHz.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Jason.

I believe if you look hard enough someone may have made a modified bios to fix this on the revision 1 board. I swear I came across it somewhere in a forum years ago I will take alook to see if I can still find.

And yes this issue was resolved in the V2 version of this board.

On a side note.

For those of you still looking for 1366 boards and don't want to do ebay if you live in canada i would suggest kijiji.

I was able to pickup an Asus Rampage 2 Extreme for $140 today that i'm going to be using in a second build for a friend with a spare i7 920 chip I have laying round. He is still rocking a Athlon 64 3000+ + GeForce 8600 GT. i'm going to put a 4890 in the build for him so this will be a huge upgrade. His budget is small so that is why I decided to go with this route doesn't have the funds for a full out haswell build.

3521y6u.jpg
Nice snag.

:thumbsup:

jason166

Dec 11, 2009
gbeirn, this is awesome... Thanks so much for giving it a try! I want to give it a try myself.. Can you PM me that link for AFUDOS? Looks like the forums blocked that url

So I was never able to get the higher turbo bins to force on my P6T Vanilla board. While the POST screen and BIOS would show the higher CPU speed, as soon as I got into Windows it would drop regardless of the power saving settings or anything I tried.

As pointed out above, from this thread: http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669

Someone was flashing P6T WS BIOSes to boards to enable CPU Turbo Power limit. In there they were using a hardware flasher. But! It can be done using plain old AFUDOS.

You will need the engineering version of AFUDOS, I downloaded it here: https://***********************/technetsavvy/AFUDOS236-ENGINEERING_EDITION.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

The engineering edition removes any checksums and is what you would use to downgrade to a previous BIOS version. I found it also works for cross flashing the BIOS.

I discovered that here: http://www.overclock.net/t/586111/p6t-se-deal-thread-turned-discussion-cross-flash-to-p6t

where people were flashing P6T BIOSes to P6TSE boards to gain SLI support.

I grabbed the last BIOS for P6T Workstation Professional here: http://support.asus.com/download.as... PROFESSIONAL&os=30&hashedid=W8KQxy9yuW1KK0Vp

Put that and the BIOS on a DOS bootable flash drive and run the following command:

afudos /inew.rom /pbnc /n

I named the Workstation Professional BIOS new.rom.

Be careful when doing this since there are no checksums in place and it will flash whatever BIOS file you tell it to without warning you about board mismatch.

Reboot and you should have the BIOS option for CPU Turbo Power Limit.

I thought I bricked the board at first since I have two 7950s in the system and got no video after rebooting. Turns out I now had to swap the monitor cable to the other card, maybe the BIOS reorganizes which slot is primary?

You will also lose the BIOS setting for Floppy Drive and the Onboard Marvell IDE/SATA controller. I don't use them so it's no big deal for me. You will gain a setting for a Marvell SAS controller which, clearly, the board doesn't have so it doesn't do anything.

Now I can run the chip at 22x200BCLK for 4.4GHz full load on all 6 cores whereas before even if I set it to that it would throttle down to 20x200BCLK for 4.0GHz

Edit: Before Cinebench would be in the low 800s at 4 GHz, now it's in the 890s at 4.4GHz.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
210blck*22@1.424V can works stable i think,but 250bclk*16 with disable QPI fast link,just boot and run super pi.

Why? Your benchmarks will be slower than 210 X 22.. Choose higher multiplier over BCLK any day..

Nov 2, 2013
Awesome work gbeirn!

Will definitely be giving this a go. Won't be home for a week though, gah!

Is the P6T WS the best option for a donor BIOS? What about the P6X58D?

What is the effect of slow mode QPI, other than a potential boost in BLK headroom?

Last edited:

gbeirn

Sep 27, 2005
Awesome work gbeirn!

Will definitely be giving this a go. Won't be home for a week though, gah!

Is the P6T WS the best option for a donor BIOS? What about the P6X58D?

What is the effect of slow mode QPI, other than a potential boost in BLK headroom?

I don't know about the P6X58D, I was only really looking for the Turbo TDP feature. I didn't try the others for the slow QPI mode.

On a side note, I had my computer at work and had an HP workstation come in that wouldn't POST. I needed to test the CPUs in something so I can confirm that the cream of the crop X5690 CPU work and are detected in the P6T fine ( not that I had any reason to doubt).

Also 12GB of ECC REG DDR3 is also detected fine with the Xeon CPU. I may and try to pick up some cheap server RAM pulls on eBay to bring the machine up to 48GB finally.

I also lapped the IHS of my X5650 with some sandpaper. I wasn't too worried about the temps but figured what the heck it couldn't hurt. I'll see how much of a difference it makes with my H100.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I just set up a P6T Deluxe with an X5660, both bought off ebay. The thing won't post.
Is there anything special you're supposed to do like a BIOS flash to get it to work?

I've tried resetting the CMOS.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Late to the party, been watching this thread for months, from the curb....jeez, the parties in Gulftown have staying power.

I've put a lowball offer on a X58 Sabertooth board and will get a 5650 soon. Was hoping to stretch my old i5-750 system into a Hasweel 8 core in the fall. But, my inner cheapskate is just nagging me about these Xeon beauties. And I need moar cores now.

What good cheap air coolers do you suggest for a decent overclock? And any special recommendations for RAM?

Looking forward to partying like it's 2009!

Nov 26, 2005
Late to the party, been watching this thread for months, from the curb....jeez, the parties in Gulftown have staying power.

I've put a lowball offer on a X58 Sabertooth board and will get a 5650 soon. Was hoping to stretch my old i5-750 system into a Hasweel 8 core in the fall. But, my inner cheapskate is just nagging me about these Xeon beauties. And I need moar cores now.

What good cheap air coolers do you suggest for a decent overclock? And any special recommendations for RAM?

Looking forward to partying like it's 2009!

Welcome to the club! :)

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
I know it's the best $$ I ever spent on a rig that does whatever you ask it to. It has been the most stable PC I've ever worked with! It's on 24X7 since I built it, and it's usually encoding a Blu-Ray or DVD every day, as well as transcoding/converting videos. I can't push it past 204 BCLK for everyday use, but I run as hard as the cooling will allow. 24X7 :) Can't say enough about the Xeon X5650 for a value workhorse.

Above it turns 40 various music videos into a DVD iso in 7 1/2 minutes. :)

Last edited:

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
I know it's the best $$ I ever spent on a rig that does whatever you ask it to. It has been the most stable PC I've ever worked with! It's on 24X7 since I built it, and it's usually encoding a Blu-Ray or DVD every day, as well as transcoding/converting videos. I can't push it past 204 BCLK for everyday use, but I run as hard as the cooling will allow. 24X7 :) Can't say enough about the Xeon 5650 for a value workhorse.

Oh, you poor guy. *Only* a 4.4Ghz hexcore daily driver. ;-)

So, because I may have missed it on the previous 50+ pages, what are you cooling it with? And how much juice is it pulling when running all (OMG!) 6 cores? And what MB are you using? *edit* Nevermind - read the pic - a Sabertooth. Nice.

Thanks!

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
CoolLink Corator I got for $12.. Worked oK with the L5639 Xeon, not so much with this chip..
Using a Rosewill Performance 550 watt PSU. Probably pulling a bit over 300 watts when working.. shrug..

fan_zps6c7e5f5a.jpg

Last edited:

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
CoolLink Corator I got for $12.. Worked oK with the L5639 Xeon, not so much with this chip..
Using a Rosewill Performance 550 watt PSU. Probably pulling a bit over 300 watts when working.. shrug..

fan_zps6c7e5f5a.jpg

Saaaweeeet. You're my new cheapskate hero! ;-)

I've got a spare Scythe Mugen 2 which should be close to the Corator. If not can yank the TS 140 from the archives.

Uh-oh...getting outbid on the Sabertooth - P6T Deluxe seem to be the better (cheapskate) priced boards. But do they have the teeth to get over 200 bclk?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I've a P6T deluxe in the other room I haven't even switched the LG5639 into yet, been lazy.

Probably, on the P6T deluxe, but I can't say for sure.

Still on the X5650 here and haven't switched the other one over there yet.

Last edited: