Xeon L5639 Overclocking on X58

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Currently have the new baby up to 4.18, and with Folding at full power, Prime large FTT's running and a 280X cranked up to 1150, it;s only hitting 61 - 63C temp wise.

Think I might got a good one, have only had it in here a couple hours, I wasn't used to the older setting I was using kicking in when the 22 multi hit.

Was actually posting close to 5G probably awhile sorting things out, but didn't last long after posting on air of course.

*edit* and I just started a HD movie on the 47 incher and the stereo to really push it.

:eek:

*edit* Folded with it all nite maxed out and even ran large FTTs on prime while doing that, only hit about 62C, then shut Prime off after awhile and left it folding all nite and while at work.

Seems pretty stable at 4.29 Ghz atm, time to play more :)

81mNmwHB%2BaL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Wow, a three month ban for link to this thread, posting pics in the pics thread because they weren't artistic enough, (even though a professional photo guy backed me up) and generally griping once when someone was getting picked on by moderators in the classifed section once on Overclockers.com.

Screw you Hokiealumnus, like I'd ever want to come back after hanging out there almost 8 years.

Time to turn off the Team 32 folding.

Kids.

Seriously, I was being persecuted over there even when I had people defending me in forums for not doing anything wrong, those guys are getting nuts lately. Not really much ya can do I guess, they just delete things they don't want people to see.

Rolling Thunder was one of the worst, he seemed to be shaking down some guy over a video card sale on the classifieds, I was griefed non stop after that one.

The frigging BitCoin miners over there are getting stupid.

The mods got together and I couldn't even post there at all now, I tried defending the guy. I guess they all being vultures over things in the classifieds there and I never had even used em, must have ticked em off.

Like I need to log in to read anything I want, silly twits, just ban me there permanently and get it over with, I care less.

You're getting way way too full of yourself.

I have too many other places I can hang out and not fold at all and give people info like this thread if you're going to be that anal.

I guess they are getting more into the sales pushing, mining, buying up old things on the classies type of mentality.

Last edited:

kingofsting

Mar 21, 2014
I pulled a Xeon L5639 + 12GB of DDR3 ECC RAM from a server. None of these overclocking x58 chipset mobos seem to support ECC RAM. Is this correct?

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
I know the ASUS P6T WS PRO does.. I'm sure there are others too.. Asus Sabertooth doesn't say it will, but works fine.. ECC will run in many X58 boards, but registered ram may not..

Last edited:

gbeirn

Sep 27, 2005
I pulled a Xeon L5639 + 12GB of DDR3 ECC RAM from a server. None of these overclocking x58 chipset mobos seem to support ECC RAM. Is this correct?

My experience with a P6T has been that ECC and Registered will both work but often times there are no BIOS options to enable it

Edit: Meaning the RAM will work fine just without ECC functions.

jason166

Dec 11, 2009
Another anecdote: I just got my X5650 installed on my P6T vanilla (with an el cheapo Asetek OEM liquid cooler and I'm running it at 196X22 (4.31 GHZ) at 1.344 volts. So far it seems stable enough to run benchmarks and play BF4... I have not yet done a thorough stability test.

It's a pretty decent step up over the L5639.

Regards,
Jason

Currently have the new baby up to 4.18, and with Folding at full power, Prime large FTT's running and a 280X cranked up to 1150, it;s only hitting 61 - 63C temp wise.

Think I might got a good one, have only had it in here a couple hours, I wasn't used to the older setting I was using kicking in when the 22 multi hit.

Was actually posting close to 5G probably awhile sorting things out, but didn't last long after posting on air of course.

*edit* and I just started a HD movie on the 47 incher and the stereo to really push it.

:eek:

*edit* Folded with it all nite maxed out and even ran large FTTs on prime while doing that, only hit about 62C, then shut Prime off after awhile and left it folding all nite and while at work.

Seems pretty stable at 4.29 Ghz atm, time to play more :)

81mNmwHB%2BaL._SL1500_.jpg

karlypants

Mar 22, 2014
Hi Guys,

I managed to bag a Xeon X6550 from ebay to replace my ageing i7 920 for £80 in the UK.

I would like to overclock this to get more juice out of my system before I replace.

I have a Sapphire Pure Black X58 motherboard with a Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler coupled with 12GB RAM (6x 2GB).

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding overclocking one of these CPU's please?

Cheers :)

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
The 51 long page thread here more or less :)

Not to be cynical, but the whole thread.

Lots of good info in this thread alone.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Another anecdote: I just got my X5650 installed on my P6T vanilla (with an el cheapo Asetek OEM liquid cooler and I'm running it at 196X22 (4.31 GHZ) at 1.344 volts. So far it seems stable enough to run benchmarks and play BF4... I have not yet done a thorough stability test.

It's a pretty decent step up over the L5639.

Regards,
Jason
Think 4.3 stable about what I'm gonna be running myself.

*Salute*

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Hi Guys,

I managed to bag a Xeon X6550 from ebay to replace my ageing i7 920 for £80 in the UK.

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding overclocking one of these CPU's please?

Cheers :)
From this thread.. A good place to start..
http://www.overclock.net/t/1277160/1-2875vcore-4-2ghz-i7-950-on-sapphire-pure-black-x58/10

You can raise your CPU Ratio to 22 or 23 (Below settings are for I7-950)

Target CPU frequency- 4200mhz
Target memory frequency- 1600mhz
Cpu freq- 200
Cpu Ratio- 21
Memory frequency- DDR-1066 2:8
Memory timing- By DDR 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-2t
Uncore- slight oc to x18
PCIE frequency 101
Vcore- 1.2875
VDIM- 1.65
CPU VTT- 1.35
IOH- 1.3
QPI PLL- 1.35
LLC- DISABLED

Last edited:

zzss

Sep 26, 2013
Installed XEON X5650 on my E760 in last weekend,broke 250 BCLK,it's wouderful.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
wish mine could, 250 way out there.

Nice work.

250 a bit hard to believe, but grats if it works stable.

That sounds more like fantasy land, pics?

Last edited:

jason166

Dec 11, 2009
I noticed over in the Cinebench 15 thread that my score of 915 seemed a little low considering I was running my x5650 at 4.3Ghz (196X22) with HT on.

That got me wondering if I'm being held back by my ram. I have some vanilla DDR3 1600 that's running at something like 1550mhz @ 1.64v. The next step up is something like 2100mhz but my system won't even post at that with the current ram.

I'm running a Asus P6T vanilla MB. Anyone out there with a P6T that's had luck running higher speed memory? What are you running? Any chance I can run some DDR3 2400 at ~2300 mhz on this MB?

I also noticed there's no 3 channel kits on the market, so I suppose I would buy a 4 channel kit and sell a dim on Ebay or something.

Thanks,
Jason

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
It's not your RAM.. RAM isn't going to make a dramatic difference. It appears you're not using Turbo. Some settings are off or different. Cinebench is is only going to show 3.92Ghz with your settings.

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
It's not your RAM.. RAM isn't going to make a dramatic difference. It appears you're not using Turbo. Some settings are off or different. Cinebench is is only going to show 3.92Ghz with your settings.

Agreed Cinebench isn't like winrar which likes cores and ram. This one only cares about cores and the speed they are clocked at.

Burpo have you done any testing on BCLK clock to see if that makes a difference?

So say 4Ghz at 182x22 vs 200x20?

Last edited:

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Nope.. Mine is balls to the wall all the time. Haven't done any testing really since I droped the chip in (except the occasional benchmark). The rest of the time, it's WORKING :) Cooler limited to 204X22 24x7

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Makaveli.. didn't want your curiosity to go unanswered, so some quick tests showed nearly identical results for CPU, but better GPU performance at lower BCLK & higher Multi.

22 X 192 BCLK = 4224 (higher Multi) Cinebench showing 3.85Ghz

20 X 211 BCLK = 4220 (higher BCLK) Cinebench showing 4.22Ghz

Balls to the wall = 4642 (22 X 211) Cinebench showing 4.26Ghz

"the wall" being my chip & mobo cut off point of 211.. (212 results in immense slow down and taking forever to boot up = unstable)

Last edited:

jason166

Dec 11, 2009
I figured out why my Cinebench score was on the low side... I still seem to be somewhat TDP limited on this P6T with the X5650. The multiplier is dropping down from 22 to 20 with Cinebench running the multicpu bench. I can see this happening in CPU-Z. I know from the digging I did when I had L5639 that there's no way to force this from not happening on the P6T vanilla. ASUS just never saw fit to fix this on the plain P6T even though they did issue an update for the deluxe. If my chip was stable at a lower voltage, I might be able to get below the threshold my motherboard is enforcing but it's not.

The good news is that for Gaming in BF4, the load is not high enough to force the multiplier down and I get 22X consistently giving me a real 4.3Ghz :biggrin:

I noticed over in the Cinebench 15 thread that my score of 915 seemed a little low considering I was running my x5650 at 4.3Ghz (196X22) with HT on.

That got me wondering if I'm being held back by my ram. I have some vanilla DDR3 1600 that's running at something like 1550mhz @ 1.64v. The next step up is something like 2100mhz but my system won't even post at that with the current ram.

I'm running a Asus P6T vanilla MB. Anyone out there with a P6T that's had luck running higher speed memory? What are you running? Any chance I can run some DDR3 2400 at ~2300 mhz on this MB?

I also noticed there's no 3 channel kits on the market, so I suppose I would buy a 4 channel kit and sell a dim on Ebay or something.

Thanks,
Jason

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I figured out why my Cinebench score was on the low side... I still seem to be somewhat TDP limited on this P6T with the X5650. The multiplier is dropping down from 22 to 20 with Cinebench running the multicpu bench. I can see this happening in CPU-Z. I know from the digging I did when I had L5639 that there's no way to force this from not happening on the P6T vanilla. ASUS just never saw fit to fix this on the plain P6T even though they did issue an update for the deluxe. If my chip was stable at a lower voltage, I might be able to get below the threshold my motherboard is enforcing but it's not.

The good news is that for Gaming in BF4, the load is not high enough to force the multiplier down and I get 22X consistently giving me a real 4.3Ghz :biggrin:

And yeah as far as RAM isnt going to matter much I imagine, running Ripjaw 1333's in here at about 1560 more or less, forget exactly offhand.

I believe if you look at the Asus website there is probably a 4 slot configuration you can use to enable a 4 stick set, I know if you look at the fine print on the qualified ram page I think it was on the P6T7 there was a configuration for it at least, but not sure would make a big difference.

I'd think a P6T would be similar but maybe not.

My P6T7 will throttle also if I try to push it above 4.4 on air, I just wrung that out of barely here on 4.4 to get the 940 score.

Normally I'm running 4.3 myself or in order to become stable, at higher I have to raise things enough to throttle it so any higher is a bit pointless unless I stuck it on a water loop.

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

Jason.

I believe if you look hard enough someone may have made a modified bios to fix this on the revision 1 board. I swear I came across it somewhere in a forum years ago I will take alook to see if I can still find.

And yes this issue was resolved in the V2 version of this board.

On a side note.

For those of you still looking for 1366 boards and don't want to do ebay if you live in canada i would suggest kijiji.

I was able to pickup an Asus Rampage 2 Extreme for $140 today that i'm going to be using in a second build for a friend with a spare i7 920 chip I have laying round. He is still rocking a Athlon 64 3000+ + GeForce 8600 GT. i'm going to put a 4890 in the build for him so this will be a huge upgrade. His budget is small so that is why I decided to go with this route doesn't have the funds for a full out haswell build.

3521y6u.jpg

Last edited:

jason166

Dec 11, 2009
Makaveli, SocketF had previously posted this info regarding the V2 bios that could be flashed to V1 P6T Deluxe boards but I've yet to turn up anything for P6T MBs:

Found this bit by google, it's about ocing the usual 920 CPU:

http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking-the-core-i7-920-or-930-to-4-0ghz

But you can search for a modded BIOS including Gulftown support, maybe there is sth.

Jason.

I believe if you look hard enough someone may have made a modified bios to fix this on the revision 1 board. I swear I came across it somewhere in a forum years ago I will take alook to see if I can still find.

And yes this issue was resolved in the V2 version of this board.

Nov 2, 2013
Makaveli, SocketF had previously posted this info regarding the V2 bios that could be flashed to V1 P6T Deluxe boards but I've yet to turn up anything for P6T MBs:

Did a bit digging, and this time actually came up with something promising.

User Oori over on kingpincooling forum was brave enough to try crossflashing a P6TSE to P6T WS. This opens up a few more options, most interestingly the setting to disable turbo throttling.

The good news is on page 3

Anyone here with a P6T SE or Vanilla willing to confirm this works?