Xbox Series X

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
This thread reminds me I often should turn on the series X and let it update at least. Oh perhaps I should finish red dead 2 on it too.

Jul 27, 2020
This thread reminds me I often should turn on the series X and let it update at least.
That's important. You know it's just Windows and at some point, some future update may not know what to do to properly update a very old version and then you might have it stuck in an infinite restart loop.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
We've been playing Nobody Saves the World (via Game Pass) lately. I didn't realize that they had added local co-op to the game a few months back (in April), which works great for me as we were looking for a good co-op game to play.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Finished Death's Door last night on Switch. Pretty sure it's included in gamepass too. I highly recommend it. It's a fun challenging indie title with a lot of charm and the music is fantastic. It's like 10 hours or so to complete.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Finished Death's Door last night on Switch. Pretty sure it's included in gamepass too. I highly recommend it. It's a fun challenging indie title with a lot of charm and the music is fantastic. It's like 10 hours or so to complete.

I have played that a bit, and it is a fun game with a nice aesthetic. From what I recall, it was one of those games where boss fights could get quite hectic, but it wasn't too bad. Out of curiosity, have you had a chance to try Tunic? It's sort of along the same vein as Death's Door.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I have played that a bit, and it is a fun game with a nice aesthetic. From what I recall, it was one of those games where boss fights could get quite hectic, but it wasn't too bad. Out of curiosity, have you had a chance to try Tunic? It's sort of along the same vein as Death's Door.
I have not but I've heard good things about that game. I was hoping it would come to Switch at some point and I could get it to play on flights when I travel. That's typically when/how I get new indie games lol. I played Death's Door for like almost 8 hours going to/from VA to Roatan.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
How do you secure your Switch console during washroom breaks? Put it in your luggage in the overhead compartment?
Put it on the seat. My wife is right next to me so not really concerned about that. Otherwise I'd just put it in the seat back right in front of me.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
How do you secure your Switch console during washroom breaks? Put it in your luggage in the overhead compartment?
I don't take the switch with me but I travel with a backpack that fits under the seat in front of me in planes. It has several compartments with zippers so I usually put what I need in there like my Sony xm4 over the ear headphones or laptop if I have one.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
There are too many of these games to keep up with. I can scroll through the list for game pass and see a lot of stuff I don't know about. If I don't read something about it I wouldn't even know what it was. I can't spend hours looking up every game on there lol

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
There are too many of these games to keep up with. I can scroll through the list for game pass and see a lot of stuff I don't know about. If I don't read something about it I wouldn't even know what it was. I can't spend hours looking up every game on there lol
That is one of reasons something like Gamepass is of zero interest to me.

When I used to be a huge pirate 2+ decades ago I racked up over 1000+ PSX games and got to the point I wouldn't even play any for more than 5 minutes because I'd just check out the next game. There was ALWAYS something new to play and try out and I did just that.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

Why do you need to spend hours looking up games? Just look at the screenshots on the game page, if it seems interesting give it a try. If you don't like it, move on. If you need hours to find a game you like gamepass is probably not for you. Your interests are too specific. This is even easier to do with cloud streaming. I played Olija straight through on cloud. Pretty cool game.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Tunic is definitely worth playing, if the gameplay looks interesting to you.
Yeah it looks great but I'm waiting for it to hit Switch to grab it. From googling it sounds like it's an MS timed exclusive so should get to Switch at some point.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Yeah it looks great but I'm waiting for it to hit Switch to grab it. From googling it sounds like it's an MS timed exclusive so should get to Switch at some point.
It's coming to Sony in September, so it's probably just a matter of time before it comes to the Switch. Just bear in mind that some of the delay is likely due to the game being made primarily by one guy.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's coming to Sony in September, so it's probably just a matter of time before it comes to the Switch. Just bear in mind that some of the delay is likely due to the game being made primarily by one guy.
From what I read MS had exclusivity on it so I'm guessing September is when it runs out.

I do wonder though if the Switch will be able to handle it from a performance point of view.

I just played through Death's Door and played most of it in handheld mode on flights, however when I finished it at home I was docked and it was noticeable that there were hiccups in it in docked mode compared to handheld mode, most likely due to the higher resolution. Nothing that made it unplayable, but definitely noticeable compared to hand held mode.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Why do you need to spend hours looking up games? Just look at the screenshots on the game page, if it seems interesting give it a try. If you don't like it, move on. If you need hours to find a game you like gamepass is probably not for you. Your interests are too specific. This is even easier to do with cloud streaming. I played Olija straight through on cloud. Pretty cool game.

Screenshots don't tell me anything about the game. Who said it takes me hours to find something to play? I'm saying there is a lot of indie stuff I have no clue about and as I mentiond would never have known anything about it if someone didn't talk about it on a forum somewhere. I don't go downloading every random game I see on there. What's hard to understand about that?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Screenshots don't tell me anything about the game. Who said it takes me hours to find something to play? I'm saying there is a lot of indie stuff I have no clue about and as I mentiond would never have known anything about it if someone didn't talk about it on a forum somewhere. I don't go downloading every random game I see on there. What's hard to understand about that?
Well you complained you can't spend hours looking up games. The game page has plenty of info to see if you would be interested. If you need some 3rd party validation on if a game is good just google "Best games on gamepass" to get a nice list of stuff to look at.

I used to go into Egghead Software or Electronic Boutique when I was a kid and buy games based on genre, boxart and the few screenshots they had. Wasn't that hard to find good games.

Currently playing Weird West. A neat little ARPG set in the wild west. Has some interesting mechanics.

MoragaBlue

Jul 17, 2022
I'm with cmdrdredd regarding the PS5 exclusives. While it's great they're porting some games to PC where I'm thoroughly enjoying God of War, I could have played it on my PS4, but just didn't have the time during that stage of my life. Now that I do, I appreciate the PC option with all the bells & whistles turned to max, but I surely wouldn't have waited 3 or 4 years for it.

So, assuming I can actually buy some iteration of the PS5, I will in order to play Ragnorak now, not wait a year, two or whatever later. That's just not gonna work for me. Also, I just prefer consoles on my large TV and never wanted to bother hooking my gaming rig to it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I used to go into Egghead Software or Electronic Boutique when I was a kid and buy games based on genre, boxart and the few screenshots they had. Wasn't that hard to find good games.

It was entirely too easy to buy a turd that you wanted to throw away though lol. These days my time is more precious so I'm selective and don't have time top download everything to try.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
In regard to choosing games, I wish the Game Pass app had more game information available directly in the app. For example, I was looking for a good co-op game to play, and in my case, I wanted couch/local co-op. They have sections like “co-op”, but that’s about all the details you get.

To see the information such as how many players per mode (local co-op, online co-op, etc), you have to go to the Microsoft Store. Thankfully, there’s a button right in the app to do that, but it seems like an unnecessary jump.

MoragaBlue

Jul 17, 2022
In regard to choosing games, I wish the Game Pass app had more game information available directly in the app.

The Game Pass app is still relatively new to me and I've only been using it for several days or so. I noticed that when I searched for the "fighting" genre, the Ninja Gaiden games never popped up. They do when I manual search.

Perhaps it's because I've been away from playing games for such a long time, I think Game Pass is an incredible deal. They have about 15 - 20 of my "to play" games on there. If I hadn't built my PC recently, I'd seriously consider getting an XBox now that they're available.

For me, this is perfect timing. I finally have some time to play some games now and have become utterly bored with all the video streaming services. I've always enjoyed playing games more than watching videos anyway, and will just use Game Pass to replace my steaming video stuff.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The Game Pass app is still relatively new to me and I've only been using it for several days or so. I noticed that when I searched for the "fighting" genre, the Ninja Gaiden games never popped up. They do when I manual search.

Are you thinking of Dead or Alive? Dead or Alive is a fighting game where Ninja Gaiden is more of an action game, and Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden is in Dead or Alive.

Perhaps it's because I've been away from playing games for such a long time, I think Game Pass is an incredible deal. They have about 15 - 20 of my "to play" games on there. If I hadn't built my PC recently, I'd seriously consider getting an XBox now that they're available.

You can always check out the PC version of Game Pass since it's included in Game Pass Ultimate. I believe the game saves transfer across on cross-platform titles, but I'm not entirely sure on that one.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
You can always check out the PC version of Game Pass since it's included in Game Pass Ultimate. I believe the game saves transfer across on cross-platform titles, but I'm not entirely sure on that one.
It worked for the only game I've checked (Psychonauts 2).

MoragaBlue

Jul 17, 2022
Are you thinking of Dead or Alive? Dead or Alive is a fighting game where Ninja Gaiden is more of an action game, and Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden is in Dead or Alive.

No. I actually wasn't even sure if they'd have it, but the old Ninja Gaiden Sigma I had played on the PS3. On a search, the NG Ultimate popped up with 3 versions.

Do you mean by just clicking the "all PC games"? Or, is there another way of doing it? I mean, the game categorization isn't a big deal since I'm familiar enough with the games I'd like to play by searching for it. I'm assuming that if their library is large enough (there appears to be tons of games on there), listing every single game within a genre may be counter-productive, and may be more efficient just to list the most popular ones.

These days, I don't suspect there will be many clamoring to play NG.

PS - This service is fantastic! Might be the first time I've really enjoyed something from XBox. Finally, as far as I'm concerned, they finally nailed it on a product. I'm even running XBox Bar or whatever that thing is that I've been deleting since time immemorial. LOL