Xbox Series X

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You're not impressed by all these cartoony shooter Overwatch clones?

I keep waiting for XBox to show me something I'd actually want to play.

I could say the same about Sony if I’m being honest.

At this point most of what I’m going to play will be on PC. There are a few titles I’d rather play on series x than PC for the bigger player base and better voice chat integration for online. Besides God of War I can’t think of another playstation exclusive off the top of my head that I am really looking forward to so for me it goes both ways.

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I mean that's just not true. They have completely different hardware. Might as well throw the Xbox One into your argument then too since it plays the same games and is an "Xbox".

PS5 discless and PS5 disc are identical hardware wise aside from .... the disc drive.
And yet One X/One S consoles were counted together, PS4 and PS4 Pro consoles were counted together, despite "completely different hardware". Try again.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
And yet One X/One S consoles were counted together, PS4 and PS4 Pro consoles were counted together, despite "completely different hardware". Try again.
You know how many PS4 Pro's sold the first 3 years of the PS4 life span?

You know how many Xbox One X/S were sold the first 3 years of the Xbox One life span?

Again, apples to oranges comparison.

Of course selling 2 consoles at the same time from launch during a hardware shortage is going to be the "fastest selling console generation" when you have 2 items in the count.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
You know how many PS4 Pro's sold the first 3 years of the PS4 life span?

You know how many Xbox One X/S were sold the first 3 years of the Xbox One life span?

Again, apples to oranges comparison.

Of course selling 2 consoles at the same time from launch during a hardware shortage is going to be the "fastest selling console generation" when you have 2 items in the count.
Dude, whatever you have to tell yourself. No one is buying both a Series S and an X (at least, not one that wouldn't have bought two Ss or Xs because they want consoles in multiple rooms or something), so having two does nothing to add sales.

I really doubt you're convincing anyone here but yourself.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Dude, whatever you have to tell yourself. No one is buying both a Series S and an X (at least, not one that wouldn't have bought two Ss or Xs because they want consoles in multiple rooms or something), so having two does nothing to add sales.

I really doubt you're convincing anyone here but yourself.
Nowhere did I say someone bought an XSX and XSS not sure wtf you are even talking about.

Although, I did buy about 5 XSX.

Also not sure what you think I am trying to convince anyone of.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Nowhere did I say someone bought an XSX and XSS not sure wtf you are even talking about.

Although, I did buy about 5 XSX.

Also not sure what you think I am trying to convince anyone of.

You're trying to convince people that it doesn't make sense to count the XSX and XSS together.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Honestly having a tough time deciding whether or not to keep my Series x. I have a decently high end PC and all the games from Microsoft are also on PC including nearly all of the Gamepass releases. I have my Xbox controller and 65" OLED TV hooked up to my PC. Really don't have a reason to even turn my series x on. What a dilemma to have. Originally I pre-ordered it because my GPU at the time in my PC was older and the series x and PS5 would both be more capable than it. Now I've upgraded and Obviously Playstation will always have it's set of exclusives that do not come to PC same as Nintendo but Microsoft...everything is also on PC and there is even cross play capability with most of them and Xbox Live integration for both voice chat and multiplayer. The whole thing with Microsoft treating xbox less as a platform and more as a service that includes PC has soured my interest in the xbox console. All the games play better on the higher end hardware of my PC. I can't be the only one who is thinking about this am I?

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I can't be the only one who is thinking about this am I?

I don't think you are the only one... but I think you are a small minority. Most PC gamers don't have their PCs on a 65" OLED.

Most (many?) xbox gamers I know consider themselves console gamers and likely don't have a more capable PC/want to play on their main TV/play on controllers exclusively/play couch coop/have family members that have profiles tied to controllers/many and probably more reasons why the console is easier/better/cheaper.

I guess we will see what the next couple of years bring. Still going to be hard pressed to beat a $250 S/$500 X in terms of capability for a long time, and if you like sitting on your couch and minimal ****ery to make everything work like it should, console gaming will continue.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Honestly having a tough time deciding whether or not to keep my Series x. I have a decently high end PC and all the games from Microsoft are also on PC including nearly all of the Gamepass releases. I have my Xbox controller and 65" OLED TV hooked up to my PC. Really don't have a reason to even turn my series x on. What a dilemma to have. Originally I pre-ordered it because my GPU at the time in my PC was older and the series x and PS5 would both be more capable than it. Now I've upgraded and Obviously Playstation will always have it's set of exclusives that do not come to PC same as Nintendo but Microsoft...everything is also on PC and there is even cross play capability with most of them and Xbox Live integration for both voice chat and multiplayer. The whole thing with Microsoft treating xbox less as a platform and more as a service that includes PC has soured my interest in the xbox console. All the games play better on the higher end hardware of my PC. I can't be the only one who is thinking about this am I?

Only advantage of keeping the Series X is that physical games are cheaper than digital the first year or two a game is out. Personally I'd sell it though in your shoes.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Sony is changing their tune on this. They decided that they do, in fact, like money. Now if only Nintendo would, too.

Sony was forced to change by Microsoft buying Activision. Until then Sony's model was to make great single player games almost as loss leaders to get you in the door so you'd buy Call of Duty every year on Playstation and they'd get their cut. Now that's obviously dead.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Sony was forced to change by Microsoft buying Activision. Until then Sony's model was to make great single player games almost as loss leaders to get you in the door so you'd buy Call of Duty every year on Playstation and they'd get their cut. Now that's obviously dead.
They put several of their exclusives on PC before that happened (Journey in 2019, Horizon: Zero Dawn in 2020, Days Gone in 2021, God of War in January). It did, however, cause them to start buying their own developers, most recently Haven just yesterday.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
They put several of their exclusives on PC before that happened (Journey in 2019, Horizon: Zero Dawn in 2020, Days Gone in 2021, God of War in January). It did, however, cause them to start buying their own developers, most recently Haven just yesterday.

You could say they put out PC versions of some pretty old titles on the cusp of getting sequels to stir up a lot of media attention for those sequels - sequels that appear to be at least timed exclusives to the PS5.

I expect that we'll continue to see the trend of timed exclusives, or PC launches of former exclusive titles when the sequels are nearly ready in the future. As was said, Sony likes money and it's nice to get paid AND getting marketing exposure.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Sony is changing their tune on this. They decided that they do, in fact, like money. Now if only Nintendo would, too.
If you are referring to old games that finally appear on PC after many years and the sales have waned and a sequel is coming to the console, no that doesn't count at all for me. I'm not going to sit around waiting and hoping for god of war Ragnarok to be announced for PC. I'm going to play it on PS5. I played God of War on PS4 Pro back in 2018 and Horizon Zero Dawn back in 2017. I cannot play Horizon Forbidden West on any other platform that isn't a playstation. There are some sketchy sites that allow you to play the game on PC but it's not official and I'm sure there are various issues with the game this way too. By the time it does come to PC which is likely, it will be an old title for me. I also won't stream games.

I'm talking about games launching day one on PC and in the case of the Xbox that's nearly everything. While Nintendo and Sony still enjoy a nice set of exclusive titles that require the ownership of their respective console. I do not see Sony ever doing a playstation exclusive and giving it a day one PC launch as well. Their business model is just a little different than what Microsoft is going for.

I don't think you are the only one... but I think you are a small minority. Most PC gamers don't have their PCs on a 65" OLED.

Most (many?) xbox gamers I know consider themselves console gamers and likely don't have a more capable PC/want to play on their main TV/play on controllers exclusively/play couch coop/have family members that have profiles tied to controllers/many and probably more reasons why the console is easier/better/cheaper.

I guess we will see what the next couple of years bring. Still going to be hard pressed to beat a $250 S/$500 X in terms of capability for a long time, and if you like sitting on your couch and minimal ****ery to make everything work like it should, console gaming will continue.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that because everything comes to Xbox and PC at the same time and i am not hovering over a desk and monitor for my PC and gamepass is on both where I'm not paying $70 for games, it's a tough sell for me to keep the series x. I know there will always be a market for the console side of things and that's not what I'm debating in my head. Also over the last few years there has been zero messing around with stuff to make a game work for me on PC. Everything on gamepass works right from start up. I haven't had an outright broken game in a long time. Driver updates are treated the same as console system updates. It alerts me and I install. It's done. Games update automatically.

In fact I just purchased elden ring on PC and I know people said it has performance issues but either I got lucky, my hardware is brute forcing it, or they fixed most of it because I am running native 4k resolution with maxed settings including grass and anti aliasing at a locked 60fps. I monitored the frame rate to see what I was getting and somehow it's a solid 60. That's way better than what the series x or PS5 can do, especially with the native resolution and max graphics settings.

I get it, PC isn't for everyone because it's more expensive for similar performance, you have to do a bit more clicks to get into the game, it's not as focused on gaming directly, and of course you deal with launchers for Xbox/steam/battle.net etc. I get all that. Just personally I feel like I can do everything my series x does because it doesn't have a game I really want to play that isn't also on my PC. I cannot say that for switch or PS5.

I have not decided I'll sell it or otherwise get rid of it because I know I'll take a loss as they are becoming available on the shelf now. I also realize I come off as already having determined it's not worth owning for me but that's not the case, I am still very torn. If I had to give one reason why I would keep it is if there is something game breaking on the PC side for a particular release that prevents the game from working properly. It may happen that Starfield has some terrible performance hitching on PC due to memory leak or what not and it is better on series x for a while. Who knows. There may also be some smaller titles on gamepass that don't come to PC. There are a few like that already but nothing I'm interested in right at the moment.

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
If you are referring to old games that finally appear on PC after many years and the sales have waned and a sequel is coming to the console, no that doesn't count at all for me. I'm not going to sit around waiting and hoping for god of war Ragnarok to be announced for PC. I'm going to play it on PS5. I played God of War on PS4 Pro back in 2018 and Horizon Zero Dawn back in 2017. I cannot play Horizon Forbidden West on any other platform that isn't a playstation. There are some sketchy sites that allow you to play the game on PC but it's not official and I'm sure there are various issues with the game this way too. By the time it does come to PC which is likely, it will be an old title for me. I also won't stream games.
I'm guessing you don't understand the meaning of the word "changing".

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
You could say they put out PC versions of some pretty old titles on the cusp of getting sequels to stir up a lot of media attention for those sequels - sequels that appear to be at least timed exclusives to the PS5.

I expect that we'll continue to see the trend of timed exclusives, or PC launches of former exclusive titles when the sequels are nearly ready in the future. As was said, Sony likes money and it's nice to get paid AND getting marketing exposure.
PC gamers have gone from literally 0 Sony games to some of their biggest single player exclusives, with more coming (Spider-Man + Miles Morales both coming this year, Last of Us Part 1 was announced as being developed for PC). It's an absolutely gigantic change, and it seems like they're only getting faster about putting stuff on PC.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
PC gamers have gone from literally 0 Sony games to some of their biggest single player exclusives, with more coming (Spider-Man + Miles Morales both coming this year, Last of Us Part 1 was announced as being developed for PC). It's an absolutely gigantic change, and it seems like they're only getting faster about putting stuff on PC.

You are repeating this but those are OLD games. I don't give a crap about games I played years ago being now on PC. I'm not going to buy them. Sony is winning no brownie points with me here. Last of us is 7 years old, I played it multiple times across 3 levels of hardware (ps3, PS4, and PS4 pro). I'm done with it. Throwing a bone to PC now is meaningless. While people are playing 2017's horizon zero dawn I've already completed the sequel on PS5 and will be playing the sequel to 2018's god of war this year. Why should I praise Sony for tossing PC gamers old titles? That would be like Nintendo allowing us to play Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey on PC. That wouldn't matter to me. I'm done with those and wouldn't buy them again and I certainly wouldn't praise them for caring about PC gaming.

You seem to avoid the point I was making that ALL Xbox games are on PC day one, with gamepass which I already have. I do not need an Xbox at all to play them. I do need a PS5 to continue playing new releases from Sony because those new releases are not on PC and it wouldn't matter if they ever do because by the time they release, I've played through them. Not to mention the dualsense features require a PS5. I can take it or leave it but if a game has dualsense support for adaptive triggers etc, I'm going to want to play that way for any exclusives anyway.

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
You are repeating this but those are OLD games. I don't give a crap about games I played years ago being now on PC.
My, my, my. What a whining diva we have here, insistent upon steering the conversation back to yourself. Why should any of us care what you give a crap about? "Boo hoo me, I can't get exactly what I want on day one and I want to cry about it."

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
My, my, my. What a whining diva we have here, insistent upon steering the conversation back to yourself. Why should any of us care what you give a crap about? "Boo hoo me, I can't get exactly what I want on day one and I want to cry about it."

Seems weak to resort to a personal attack on this point.

Some of us are less impressed with Sony's releasing ports of exclusive games from 5-7 years ago. Getting offended by that seems silly. It is a welcome change, but maybe more relevant to the PS5 thread?

And even then, it reinforces the point of "why own an xbox when you already own a PC?" - the exact point being discussed. If it also becomes "why own a PS when you already own a PC?" - which you are implying - it becomes and even more relevant discussion topic.

And at that point, we can logically conclude that unless the hardware division of Sony fails and folds, they will always reserve some software, even if it is timed exclusivity, to their hardware platform.

As MS owns both the PC operating system share for gamers AND the xbox, it seems less an existential issue for them. In fact, a argument could be made that it increases the cost of moving to an Apple PC, as you would lose access to GamePass benefits.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Seems weak to resort to a personal attack on this point.
It's simply pointing out the obvious. I mentioned how Sony is doing better for PC gamers, and all he is doing is complaining that it's not day one and he doesn't care. My point has nothing to do with whether he cares or not, it's that Sony has started coming around to PC gamers, an inarguable fact. Their own statements are that they see exponential growth on PC and are planning on having half of their exclusives on PC in 2025.

Some of us are less impressed with Sony's releasing ports of exclusive games from 5-7 years ago. Getting offended by that seems silly. It is a welcome change, but maybe more relevant to the PS5 thread?
5-7 years ago? Journey is the only port I listed that was 5-7 years old. HZD 3 years, GOW, 4 years, Spider-Man 4 years, Miles Morales 2 years, Days Gone 2 years, Uncharted Legacy of Thieves same year, Last of Us Part 1 presumably short amount of time since it was announced in development for PC.

And even then, it reinforces the point of "why own an xbox when you already own a PC?" - the exact point being discussed.
No, that isn't the point I was discussing. I agree that Cmdr doesn't have much of a reason for owning an Xbox, nor have I ever tried arguing against that. I got mine for much the same reason he did: at the time, my PC was worse and the value proposition was better than what I saw in the PC market. I also have never owned an Xbox, so I had a large potential backlog of games should I desire to explore the catalog.

If it also becomes "why own a PS when you already own a PC?" - which you are implying - it becomes and even more relevant discussion topic.

And at that point, we can logically conclude that unless the hardware division of Sony fails and folds, they will always reserve some software, even if it is timed exclusivity, to their hardware platform.
I see truth in this. Even though Sony is putting more of their software to PC, I suspect the best case scenario is probably that they'll still give their own console a 1 year exclusive.

As MS owns both the PC operating system share for gamers AND the xbox, it seems less an existential issue for them. In fact, a argument could be made that it increases the cost of moving to an Apple PC, as you would lose access to GamePass benefits.
Owning the PC operating system means nothing. MS doesn't monetize anything that isn't purchased directly from them. Unlike consoles, it's an open system. Steam, Epic, GOG, or whoever, can maintain their own digital store on Windows and Microsoft doesn't see a dime.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It was my post you and others replied to. I'm a diva because I'm responding to your change of subject when I was clearly talking specific to Xbox and day one games. I was specifically referring to my situation. I did not mention Sony titles on PC or getting rid of my PS5 because now Sony suddenly is doing to start releasing games on PC because that is not relevant to me. That wasn't the conversation until you brought it up. Also I don't know where the hell you pulled that "boo hoo" line from. I get exactly what I want. I can play any game on any system that it releases on day one. That wasn't even the point though.

I think everyone clearly understood my point that Xbox series x has zero actual exclusives to the console for someone who also does PC gaming. As a result I am struggling with myself about actually keeping it. I had hoped someone would have a decent reason for me to keep it. I did not expect "well now Sony is also releasing games to PC that used to be exclusive so Yay". I still need a PS5 to play those games when they are new at launch. Nothing changed so I'm not sure I really understand your argument. You are saying I can sell my PS5 too?

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
5-7 years ago? Journey is the only port I listed that was 5-7 years old. HZD 3 years, GOW, 4 years, Spider-Man 4 years, Miles Morales 2 years, Days Gone 2 years, Uncharted Legacy of Thieves same year, Last of Us Part 1 presumably short amount of time since it was announced in development for PC.

Last of us released on PS3 in 2013

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Keep it, or else Microsoft will release something that will make you want to buy one again. The Universe is weird that way.
Maybe but they have confirmed all first party titles will be on both game pass and windows on release. It would likely be a 3rd party title that is not on PC but runs best on series x or something that would have me kicking myself lol

I'm gonna keep jt

Reactions: igor_kavinski