Xbox Series X

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
USB isn't nearly fast enough. For something that would meet the PS5 spec $200 might not be that far off given you kinda need the heatsink.

I have a USB 3.2 external SSD that can read at 1,100 Mb/s. That should be fast enough, no?

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
I have a USB 3.2 external SSD that can read at 1,100 Mb/s. That should be fast enough, no?

PS5 minimum recommended speed is 5,500MB/s. In testing, it seems the seconds to load starts going up when speeds fall under 3,500MB/s. That’s sustained speed, so it also has to be able to do that without slowing down as it gets hotter (I’m used to seeing that happen at 50C, but I’m sure it varies by manufacturers and die).

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
PS5 minimum recommended speed is 5,500MB/s. In testing, it seems the seconds to load starts going up when speeds fall under 3,500MB/s. That’s sustained speed, so it also has to be able to do that without slowing down as it gets hotter (I’m used to seeing that happen at 50C, but I’m sure it varies by manufacturers and die).

Plus the USB only supports 3.1 Gen 1 too.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
It was always over $200. I remember doing the math and thinking you may as well buy a series X. Although you could get your hands on an S much easier, so there's that.

That alone makes me wonder why anyone would have bought the Series S. Pay $20 more than the Series X just to have a gpu a third as powerful, but you'll have 500GB extra SSD storage (with no upgrade available unless you chunk that 1TB external storage you just bought for something bigger later on).

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That alone makes me wonder why anyone would have bought the Series S. Pay $20 more than the Series X just to have a gpu a third as powerful, but you'll have 500GB extra SSD storage (with no upgrade available unless you chunk that 1TB external storage you just bought for something bigger later on).

Availability. It's still hard to get a Series X.

I tried hundreds of times using an app that alerted me everytime it went in stock on any major website, I had accounts created on each major website with my payment info saved. It wasn't easy.

I managed to snag the Halo Limited Edition on the first drop though.

Reactions: blckgrffn

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

I imagine people are just making do with the base storage. Or maybe just using external USB.

MS BTW allegedly is favoring Series S chip production currently as a way to get more units out there. And it seems to be working as MS might have outsold the PS5 in November in the US.. even though both got BTFO by the Switch.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Availability. It's still hard to get a Series X.

I tried hundreds of times using an app that alerted me everytime it went in stock on any major website, I had accounts created on each major website with my payment info saved. It wasn't easy.

I managed to snag the Halo Limited Edition on the first drop though.

Is it really still hard to get a Series X? I just looked at sold listings today on ebay and see a bunch selling brand new for $700, some even with free shipping. Considering how much eBay and PayPal take, unless the system was bought and/or sold in a state with no sales tax, the scalper was probably netting less than $20 out of the sale if he included free shipping.

I wonder if MS ramped up production for Halo or something.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Is it really still hard to get a Series X? I just looked at sold listings today on ebay and see a bunch selling brand new for $700, some even with free shipping. Considering how much eBay and PayPal take, unless the system was bought and/or sold in a state with no sales tax, the scalper was probably netting less than $20 out of the sale if he included free shipping.

Not everybody wants to pay $200 over msrp

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I've recently been debating selling my XSX. There are no games that I even know of coming out on the system that are of interest to me really. I know there is a rumor about KI2 but that is about it. But I'm not strap for cash right now or anything either.

But damn I wonder if I could sell my used one for over MSRP lol. It may be worth it.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I've recently been debating selling my XSX. There are no games that I even know of coming out on the system that are of interest to me really. I know there is a rumor about KI2 but that is about it. But I'm not strap for cash right now or anything either.

But damn I wonder if I could sell my used one for over MSRP lol. It may be worth it.

I wouldn't. Like I said above, I saw brand new ones selling barely above break even price on ebay this morning. Kind of blew me away to see that nine days before Christmas, figured they would have gone way up but Microsoft must have released a ton of them the last 4 weeks to cut the scalped price so much.

And then Series X is going to be a killer system over the long term with how many great first party devs they now have. If I had a Series X I wouldn't dream of selling it right now.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Mine is just sitting in my tv stand. I use it just to play red dead 2. I can't believe I haven't finished that game yet.

When I finish the master chief collection on PC I'm gonna use the series x to play Halo 5 before I go back to play Infinite on PC.

It's kind of on standby now and I got it at MSRP super early.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Also, for most of the year, series X's were going for 800 or more on eBay.

But yeah, it's a lot over MSRP and expensive for a lot of folks. So they got what they could

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Mine is just sitting in my tv stand. I use it just to play red dead 2. I can't believe I haven't finished that game yet.

When I finish the master chief collection on PC I'm gonna use the series x to play Halo 5 before I go back to play Infinite on PC.

It's kind of on standby now and I got it at MSRP super early.

Why not play RDR2 on PC? You have the hardware for it. I think it's limited to 30 fps on console.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I wouldn't. Like I said above, I saw brand new ones selling barely above break even price on ebay this morning. Kind of blew me away to see that nine days before Christmas, figured they would have gone way up but Microsoft must have released a ton of them the last 4 weeks to cut the scalped price so much.

And then Series X is going to be a killer system over the long term with how many great first party devs they now have. If I had a Series X I wouldn't dream of selling it right now.
X1 was supposed to have all these "great first party devs" and they hardly had anything special other than the usual Halo, Forza, Gears shit. I've seen this movie before.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
X1 was supposed to have all these "great first party devs" and they hardly had anything special other than the usual Halo, Forza, Gears shit. I've seen this movie before.

Well Arkane was busy doing Deathloop since they were contractually obligated to do it for Sony from before they were bought out. Doom Eternal just came out last year so it might be awhile before id releases its next game as an XBOX exclusive. Hellblade 2 looks pretty interesting though and I'm definitely interested in learning more about Starfield. Gotta think Obsidian will do another Fallout game now that Microsoft owns the IP and a new Elder Scrolls around midway through the generation alone would be enough to get me to buy an XBOX. They didn't have good first party devs last gen, they do now. Don't see how you saw that movie before.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Why not play RDR2 on PC? You have the hardware for it. I think it's limited to 30 fps on console.
I would, I got RDR2 for free with a laptop I bought in 2020 but I've spent a lot of time on the series x before I got the laptop, and did a lot of the side content so I definitely don't have the time to start over.

February is going to have dying light 2, Elden Ring , and forbidden west so I'll be bouncing around between all these and as usual probably not finish most of them :)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Well Arkane was busy doing Deathloop since they were contractually obligated to do it for Sony from before they were bought out. Doom Eternal just came out last year so it might be awhile before id releases its next game as an XBOX exclusive. Hellblade 2 looks pretty interesting though and I'm definitely interested in learning more about Starfield. Gotta think Obsidian will do another Fallout game now that Microsoft owns the IP and a new Elder Scrolls around midway through the generation alone would be enough to get me to buy an XBOX. They didn't have good first party devs last gen, they do now. Don't see how you saw that movie before.
They hyped up BIG time with X1 as to having all of these exclusive with first party developers. Granted if I recall they were much smaller companies more like indy companies. I remember them hyping up Cuphead for the longest time and things of that ilk.

I don't care at all about anything Bethesda has made or will make so that is a big nothing berder to me as far as acquisitions and exclusives. I don't care much about ID either as the only game I've played of theirs in the last decade was Doom Eternal and I just couldn't get into it. It looked pretty though on XSX.

Hellblade 2 does look good though but I haven't heard anything about it other than that first trailer they showed.

Deathloop doesn't interest me in the least either so I didn't grab it on PS5.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
They hyped up BIG time with X1 as to having all of these exclusive with first party developers. Granted if I recall they were much smaller companies more like indy companies. I remember them hyping up Cuphead for the longest time and things of that ilk.

I don't care at all about anything Bethesda has made or will make so that is a big nothing berder to me as far as acquisitions and exclusives. I don't care much about ID either as the only game I've played of theirs in the last decade was Doom Eternal and I just couldn't get into it. It looked pretty though on XSX.

Hellblade 2 does look good though but I haven't heard anything about it other than that first trailer they showed.

Deathloop doesn't interest me in the least either so I didn't grab it on PS5.

Honestly, all I remember XBox One hyping up was television. :D

Reactions: cmdrdredd

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

You say this like Cuphead is not a great game. Cuphead was promoted through the ID@Xbox program which is their independent developer program.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You say this like Cuphead is not a great game. Cuphead was promoted through the ID@Xbox program which is their independent developer program.
Not sure how you got that from what I said. I said that is one of the games they were hyping up with all of these devs they had.

And Cuphead ended up not even being an exclusive.

That is my main issue with Xbox right now they have zero exclusives other than Halo, Gears, and Forza, all of which are pretty stale at this point for me. I've literally only played Xbox One games on my XSX thus far too and it's been out for over a year.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Honestly, all I remember XBox One hyping up was television. :D

Funny... Microsoft actually made fun of themselves about that in the final episode of their 20th anniversary documentary on YouTube. They have a montage in there where the execs say "television" over and over and even have a little "Price Is Right" footage :)

It turned out to be a decent console after the ditched the Kinect and dropped the price $100. That's when I got mine, anyway.

Honestly, I think that real advantage of the XBox right now will be Game Pass and XCloud. It's basically an all you can eat buffet of console gaming titles. With new titles costing up to $70 plus DLC, it's a comparative bargain.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
That is my main issue with Xbox right now they have zero exclusives other than Halo, Gears, and Forza, all of which are pretty stale at this point for me. I've literally only played Xbox One games on my XSX thus far too and it's been out for over a year.

Not sure why that is a problem. 60 fps games on series X vs 30fps game on one. The FPS boost has been amazing to play older games. For example, Prey is an amazing game on Series X/S, but it is painful to play on XOne/PS4 at 30fps.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Funny... Microsoft actually made fun of themselves about that in the final episode of their 20th anniversary documentary on YouTube. They have a montage in there where the execs say "television" over and over and even have a little "Price Is Right" footage :)

It turned out to be a decent console after the ditched the Kinect and dropped the price $100. That's when I got mine, anyway.

Honestly, I think that real advantage of the XBox right now will be Game Pass and XCloud. It's basically an all you can eat buffet of console gaming titles. With new titles costing up to $70 plus DLC, it's a comparative bargain.

IDK, I thought Don Mattrick really screwed the pooch with the XBox One. The original XBox and the 360 targeted hardcore gamers with pretty high end hardware. XBox knew their market and delivered to them. Then Mattrick tried to make an HD Wii HTPC and that stupid Kinect caused XBox to cheap out on the gpu. It felt like a betrayal to me after how much I loved my 360. Then the always online crap and killing off used games. WTH was Mattrick thinking not understanding XBox's market at all there? Thankfully Phil Spencer understands his market way better than Mattrick did and I have high expectations for XBox again this gen. Now I'm a little worried Jim Ryan is going to become PlayStation's Mattrick though with how they're de-emphasizing all the cool Japanese games that made PS2 and PS4 such awesome systems. The fact that idiot Michael Pachter loves Jim Ryan and thinks he'll be great for PlayStation really scares me lol.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

With that PC, there really isn't a reason to own an XBX right now. I keep going back and forth, but I think not finding one has been a positive. Every game is on the PC going forward and many of the last gen games are there too.