Xbox Series X

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I saw a teardown of the Series S and that is using an M2 2230 SSD. It's not exactly in a user replaceable place though.

They both do, but good luck finding a reasonable 2230 NVMe to put in there. From what I have seen the Series X is using a 1TB western digital SN550.

Looks like a number of folks are getting emails from Amazon saying they will get their console sometime on or before December 31. Glad I was able to snag a store pickup from Best Buy.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
One thing that I found kind of amusing given how much flak Microsoft (deservedly) gets over the name. My mom messaged me yesterday talking about the new PS5 and asked if it could play PS3 games. I eventually remarked about there being a new Xbox coming out this week too, and she was taken by surprise. Keep in mind that she found out about the PS5 from Target's weekly ad, and the latest Xbox was literally listed on the opposite side of the page from the PS5.

I never saw these two questions related to movies answered in a review...
  1. How noisy is the optical drive while playing a movie?
  2. Does it support Dolby Vision during disc playback?
I'll be picking up mine tomorrow from Best Buy. I did also get a pre-order from Target, which I was trying to see if a friend wanted (at cost, of course). Didn't get an answer in time to cancel, so I'll likely end up just returning it on Thursday. On that note, I have to say that Target is rather slow at shipping. My memory card "shipped" on Friday, but FedEx hasn't even received it yet.

No Dolby vision for disc. I know that so far.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So are there any "Xbox Series X" games?

Or are all the games now "Xbox" games?

I am still confused about this.

I may snag Gears 5 since I haven't played Gears in ages since part 3 I think and was kind of bored with it by then, but it was still a pretty neat/fun series and it would be something new to play on XSX.

But would I just be buying the Xbox One version of this game? Or is there like an Xbox Series X version coming out?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

I may snag Gears 5 since I haven't played Gears in ages since part 3 I think and was kind of bored with it by then, but it was still a pretty neat/fun series and it would be something new to play on XSX.

But would I just be buying the Xbox One version of this game? Or is there like an Xbox Series X version coming out?

If a game has this logo then it will play on any Xbox one or series console. There is one disc now. In other words you do not buy a series x game separate from a Xbox one game and retail stores don’t have to dedicate a section for new series x games. Smart delivery will make sure you get the version you are supposed to get and al the bells and whistles turned on.

Gears 5 is one of those games that gets free upgrade to series x. It’s also on game pass if you are a member.

770941cb4b81195e2da69e5374e19483.jpg

Reactions: purbeast0

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I picked up my Series X this morning from Best Buy. Their appointment system was pretty painless. I just walked in during my chosen 30-minute block, and picked it up like a standard order pick-up. I also picked up Assassin's Creed: Valhalla and Yakuza: Like a Dragon from Target's B2G1 deal. I heard some good remarks about the prior, and I'm curious about the latter.. so we'll see how it goes.

Although, there was a guy outside the store that seemed dismayed that the store wasn't selling any consoles, and the only thing that the employee could say was that there was a rumor that they might have them for Black Friday. I should've offered the console that I'm getting from Target. :( I refuse to scalp it, so I either want to sell it to someone at cost (who will actually use it) or just return it to Target.

Reactions: blckgrffn

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

They have updated it with many improvements, it is "4K"/60 (dynamic res). Supposedly equivalent to PC Ultra settings with a few extra features added. The multiplayer has a 120fps mode, but IMO the multiplayer in Gears is dumb (the horde modes can be fun, but not sure if those are 120).

5 is a pretty good game (looks great too), MUCH better than what they did with 4, but in the end it is still fundamentally the same game, so if you were bored of it, not sure it will do anything for you. They have a story summary in the game you can watch so you don't need to worry about what is going on.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
AH I MANAGED TO MISS ALL THE PLACES TO BUY ONE TODAY.

I was at Walmart right at the time, added it to cart, hit checkout, bam, failed, sold out :/

While I was doing that and being really frustrated, I missed a ~30+ minute window at Costco (where I am a member) on a two controller bundle (which I needed the extra controller anyway). NOOOO.

I don't ever buy this stuff launch day. I guess I am just bad at it. Ha.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

I was at Walmart right at the time, added it to cart, hit checkout, bam, failed, sold out :/

While I was doing that and being really frustrated, I missed a ~30+ minute window at Costco (where I am a member) on a two controller bundle (which I needed the extra controller anyway). NOOOO.

You aren’t the only one lol

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
My Best Buy preorder still hasn't shipped. I just got off chat and they say it's estimated to arrive Friday. WTF, I would have done in-store pickup if I knew you'd be so incompetent.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

I tried Walmart and so did my brother, at their noon time. I think they had VERY limited amounts, both for local pickup and delivery, based on my experience and what everyone is saying on CAG.

My brother did get one at Costco though. It doesn't ship until 11/23 but he doesn't care because it's for Xmas for his kids. That was a very solid deal if you wanted an extra controller too.

I kind of accidentally ended up selling all of mine because someone got my BIN one before I could remove it. I may have a line on another one for Friday at Best Buy and if I do I will definitely keep that one. There is really absolutely nothing I would be playing on it right now though so that is why I don't care if I don't get one to keep right now. I'd probably just end up getting Gears 5 on Black Friday for like $20 somewhere and that is about it for a while.

This is how mine came from Amazon. Why even put that paper there lol?

CAW5Kqr.jpg

• Wow

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I tried Walmart and so did my brother, at their noon time. I think they had VERY limited amounts, both for local pickup and delivery, based on my experience and what everyone is saying on CAG.

It's interesting to hear that Walmart had systems available for local pick-up like Target did. I'm assuming that the PS5 will likely be the same? Has there been any word as to whether Best Buy was doing something similar? It didn't sound like it from the conversation that I overheard today when I was picking up my console.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's interesting to hear that Walmart had systems available for local pick-up like Target did. I'm assuming that the PS5 will likely be the same? Has there been any word as to whether Best Buy was doing something similar? It didn't sound like it from the conversation that I overheard today when I was picking up my console.
I haven't heard anything about that yet. I've just been following the CAG threads and that's where I've gotten a lot of info.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

My brother did get one at Costco though. It doesn't ship until 11/23 but he doesn't care because it's for Xmas for his kids. That was a very solid deal if you wanted an extra controller too.

I kind of accidentally ended up selling all of mine because someone got my BIN one before I could remove it. I may have a line on another one for Friday at Best Buy and if I do I will definitely keep that one. There is really absolutely nothing I would be playing on it right now though so that is why I don't care if I don't get one to keep right now. I'd probably just end up getting Gears 5 on Black Friday for like $20 somewhere and that is about it for a while.

This is how mine came from Amazon. Why even put that paper there lol?

CAW5Kqr.jpg

Can you do me a big favor and tell me the dimensions on that box? I might have someone shipping a unit and having even a rough idea will let me create a label. I think I can figure out the weight from the specs somewhere 🤔. If you already tossed it, even a good estimate would be appreciated!

What does CAG stand for? Asking for an uninformed friend 👀

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Can you do me a big favor and tell me the dimensions on that box? I might have someone shipping a unit and having even a rough idea will let me create a label. I think I can figure out the weight from the specs somewhere 🤔. If you already tossed it, even a good estimate would be appreciated!

Cheap Ass Gamer

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

The Xbox Series X box is 15x11.5x8.5 inches.

Weight is like 15-16 lbs.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Interesting. I downloaded the Bright Memory trial game (was $8 I think), and it has graphics settings. You can dial the game in to whatever performance you want.

febd255716634fc4106f21258891b5fa.jpg

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
@cmdrdredd I just watched some gameplay of that on youtube. I knew the trailer they showed was a bullshot. The actual game looks nothing like that. It was so obvious because it looked light years ahead every other trailer in that showcase.

That was the only game in that showcase that intrigued me because it was the only one that looked next gen. I called that way back then it was a bullshot I knew it was too good to be true.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
@cmdrdredd I just watched some gameplay of that on youtube. I knew the trailer they showed was a bullshot. The actual game looks nothing like that. It was so obvious because it looked light years ahead every other trailer in that showcase.

That was the only game in that showcase that intrigued me because it was the only one that looked next gen. I called that way back then it was a bullshot I knew it was too good to be true.

The trailer they showed was for Bright Memory Infinite, Bright Memory is more of a tech demo. Doesn't mean it will be that much better.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

The trailer they showed before was cinematics basically.

Game is pretty bad anyway. Looks great overall aside from the repetitive temple and cave areas. Gameplay is repetitive and all you fight are mobs of annoying enemies that die easy or pure bullet sponges in a small space. You basically dodge around until you can use your slash move again then you repeat. Pretty much sucks. Even the audio sucks. Guns don’t feel or sound powerful.

Game is a straight pc port too complete with mouse cursor on the menus and a look sensitivity that doesn’t have separate x and y axis. It’s either too slow to aim or too fast. You do actually have to do some work to make a game playable properly on console.

Game tries too hard to be a FPS version of a souls game and it doesn’t work.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think the one thing that I was hoping for is that installs would be a lot better. I joked that I could probably go over to my PC, buy Yakuza Like a Dragon, and install it before the install finishes on Xbox. Probably doesn’t help that I was seeing a max of 380Mbps when installing Assassin’s Creed, but only 40Mbps for Yakuza. (I’ve hit 115MB/s on Steam.) Not great when trying to download a 30GB enhancement patch!

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I think the one thing that I was hoping for is that installs would be a lot better. I joked that I could probably go over to my PC, buy Yakuza Like a Dragon, and install it before the install finishes on Xbox. Probably doesn’t help that I was seeing a max of 380Mbps when installing Assassin’s Creed, but only 40Mbps for Yakuza. (I’ve hit 115MB/s on Steam.) Not great when trying to download a 30GB enhancement patch!

Here I am with my crappy 25Mb internet...

One thing i am surprised by is even games installed on my external HDD load faster. I was playing South Park Fractured But Whole, the fast travel is much snappier.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

I was getting 950Mbps on all my downloads earlier today. I’m sure when servers get loaded it can drop a bit too.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I was a little surprised about the performance of Assassin's Creed... but not in a good way. At least based upon the Ars review, I expected it to run very well on the Series X, but I did notice framerate hitching. I can't really attest to the graphics quality as the last Assassin's Creed game that I played was Origins on PC. It seems fine, but given that Ubisoft prides themselves on their graphical fidelity, I kept getting this feeling that it didn't seem as good as some recent first-party titles from Sony. I think the biggest problem is in the face where it looks more like I'm watching people in rubber masks re-enact the Vikings.

One other weird aspect, and I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, but the game seems to have side quests (the blue markers), but it doesn't always update the map or even track them. For example, I was in this one town, and this guy told me to meet him at the docks (quite vague in this city), and I eventually just kind of ran into him. After that, he told me to meet him at some north point, and I just sort of gave up at that point. To note, I kind of detoured off right after getting the ship, so I don't know if it's a timing thing. Maybe it also relates to my difficulty setting as Valhalla gives you multiple difficulty sliders for different aspects (enemy health/damage, stealth, etc.). I kept mine on the default, so I figured that might not be it.

I was getting 950Mbps on all my downloads earlier today. I’m sure when servers get loaded it can drop a bit too.

That sounds rather nice to hear! I wasn't sure if it was a congestion issue due to having no real issues with Assassin's Creed at around 8:30PM CST. (That was when I got the 325-380Mbps.) On the other hand, I was installing Yakuza around 10PM CST. So, it might be that I was trying to download during a heavy use time for the west coast.