Xbox Series X

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
My GTX 1060 has this issue, only much less annoying. Seems to happen when the fan spins down.
Yeah, It could just simply be a few faulty fans in until. MS doesn't manufacture the fans, but when you're buying in bulk of millions, there are bound to be some that are faulty or just don't make it in shipping.

But you also had people vaping into their Xbox Series X (day 1) to try to fabricate that they overheat and melt/smoke. So who knows, lol.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I feel like the clicking isn't fast enough for it to be something hitting the fan. It would sound more like a buzz I feel rather than a clicking like that.

At least the fans that I've heard with a wire hitting a blade on every rotation sounds a lot more like a buzz than a click.

Reactions: JPB

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I feel like the clicking isn't fast enough for it to be something hitting the fan. It would sound more like a buzz I feel rather than a clicking like that.

At least the fans that I've heard with a wire hitting a blade on every rotation sounds a lot more like a buzz than a click.

Your 7 PS5s and 4 XBSXs and Winning TB XBSX are all mad that you are still posting on a forum and not playing with all of them. Someone men just don't have priorities in their life.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I feel like I just won my 5th

Your 7 PS5s and 4 XBSXs and Winning TB XBSX are all mad that you are still posting on a forum and not playing with all of them. Someone men just don't have priorities in their life.
Wut?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
That clicking sounds like something grazing a fan blade while it spins. Curious if there is a cable/wire close to the fan that could come dislodged during shipping? No noise with our Xbox Series X. Haven't used a disc, so I don't know. The system itself is very quite. Could hardly hear it when we booted it up.

I could hear mine quite well.. but in my case, it was the start-up sound being really loud for some reason on the first boot, and it's not like my speakers were turned up either. :p

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
It seems like the Series X has finally implemented HDMI CEC. Explicit option to enable, where the One just has options for sending on/off signal to the TV. Didn't realize this wasn't CEC on the One. (I am reading this was implemented on the One for a short time then removed)

My TV and soundbar was very flaky with the powering on/off on the One, but has worked fine with the Series X so far.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
It seems like the Series X has finally implemented HDMI CEC. Explicit option to enable, where the One just has options for sending on/off signal to the TV. Didn't realize this wasn't CEC on the One.

My TV and soundbar was very flaky with the powering on/off on the One, but has worked fine with the Series X so far.

This has proven very annoying to me (the lack of CEC) so I am pleased it is working.

Now, has anyone hooked a TV tuner to one of these things? I want that too work to! (ha, sad trombone...)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
This has proven very annoying to me (the lack of CEC) so I am pleased it is working.

I've always been so mixed on CEC. On paper, the concept actually sounds great, but I find that it's an example of a great concept that was just implemented poorly. From what I've read (it has been a while), the issue mostly stems from how there aren't always concrete rules on how to implement it, so you can have two similar devices that act differently or in whatever way the manufacturer decides. It's pretty much the reason why I've been using Harmony remotes for the past few years.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I've always been so mixed on CEC. On paper, the concept actually sounds great, but I find that it's an example of a great concept that was just implemented poorly. From what I've read (it has been a while), the issue mostly stems from how there aren't always concrete rules on how to implement it, so you can have two similar devices that act differently or in whatever way the manufacturer decides. It's pretty much the reason why I've been using Harmony remotes for the past few years.
CEC works a bit TOO perfectly in my case. While I have special circumstance in my setup, it sucks you can't really tailor it to your needs.

I've got a 4K Projector and a 4K TV. I also have an Apple TV 4K and the nVidia Shield. I use the Apple TV 4K for all streaming services. I use the nVidia Shield almost strictly for Kodi 4K w/ Atmos. The problem is if you use CEC and try to change between project and TV, it powers off my Pre-Pro, Amps and TV, lol. I can't switch (turn off) the Apple TV 4K while turning on the Shield and 4K Projector. It's a bit of a cluster.

I finally just use an URC MX-990 with Macro buttons to command everything. Takes a bit of programing, but it's the best remote I've ever used. I do like being able to create buttons that say "all this off, all this on" using discrete codes. Thankfully, I think almost all my devices have discrete codes.

Then I use Lutron IR switches that will control my lights and ceiling fan in the room. That is really awesome. So you can customize the light and devices based on if you are watching a movie, TV or just hanging with family/friends. Great stuff.

All that said, I can totally see CEC working with a simple setup. The Apple TV 4k can turn off almost everything when you put it to sleep. It's awesome. But it just doesn't work in my multi-device setup.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
So, we should start a new thread for Xbox Series FanGate. Unfortunately, it sounds like a thread for fanatics and not faulty air cooling.

• Haha

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My question is, how was it handled in shipping and did the box show signs of damage?
It's funny you mention this.

The Xbox Series X seemed to be packaged very well in the box. Like an egg could have been inside of it and it wouldn't have cracked.

The PS5 on the other hand, the first thing I noticed when I got it was that it felt like stuff was in the box just rolling around. The box also feels cheap as hell and the handle on mine broke after like carrying it 15 feet. Thankfully it was right after i got out of the stairwell.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It's funny you mention this.

The Xbox Series X seemed to be packaged very well in the box. Like an egg could have been inside of it and it wouldn't have cracked.

The PS5 on the other hand, the first thing I noticed when I got it was that it felt like stuff was in the box just rolling around. The box also feels cheap as hell and the handle on mine broke after like carrying it 15 feet. Thankfully it was right after i got out of the stairwell.

I saw this too online. I don’t have a ps5 but my series x packaging felt premium. It was packaged as nicely as my Oppo UHD Blu-Ray player or an Apple Device is. Still if it is somehow abused in shipping which can happen, it’s possible to actually damage it from enough jarring force.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I thought the PS5's packaging was okay overall. It had enough foam that I didn't expect any damages. Although, I did pick mine up from a store, which was likely shipped as part of a larger group rather than a single unit in a box being tossed around.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
But you also had people vaping into their Xbox Series X (day 1) to try to fabricate that they overheat and melt/smoke. So who knows, lol.
That whole overheating/smoke thing was a prank. No need to start a new thread because morons posted videos of vape smoke coming out of the console.
Apparently it was not fake, and the console actually has broken down, this way.

Eng subs also are available.

Its really funny that everybody rendered this as a prank WITHOUT EVEN ASKING THE SOURCE ABOUT IT.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
People here talked about clicking Fan sound. I suggest watching the video, because the guy, whose console "melted", said that before that smoke came there was the sound of boiling water(a click from the electric kettle?), two times.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Apparently it was not fake, and the console actually has broken down, this way.

Eng subs also are available.

Its really funny that everybody rendered this as a prank WITHOUT EVEN ASKING THE SOURCE ABOUT IT.

Sorry but I’m not watching a 20min video about someone who broke their console.

Reactions: purbeast0

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Sorry but I’m not watching a 20min video about someone who broke their console.
Why do you believe that he broke his console, and not it broken down, by itself?
Yeah I don't get why watching a random video of some dude would change anyone's mind anyways lol.
Well, clearly.

"When the data does not fit the preconceived idea, the worse for the data."

Right?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Why do you believe that he broke his console, and not it broken down, by itself?
Well, clearly.

Right?
It's a hoax. Notice how they aren't showing the bottom of the Xbox and only the top? Do you also notice how it's sitting on a crate that has slates? So the bottom of the Xbox sucks up smoke and blows it out the top. It's a vortex.

But you think it's not fake because they interviewed the very same person who made the video? You don't think he would keep up the hoax/lie? That's some weird thinking. He could have not talked for 20 mins, taken it a step further by plugging it back in and proving it wouldn't power up or display anything.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well, clearly.

Right?

Because I have had a computer part burn up and the smoke was not like that at all.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
It's a hoax. Notice how they aren't showing the bottom of the Xbox and only the top? Do you also notice how it's sitting on a crate that has slates? So the bottom of the Xbox sucks up smoke and blows it out the top. It's a vortex.

But you think it's not fake because they interviewed the very same person who made the video? You don't think he would keep up the hoax/lie? That's some weird thinking.

Have you actually watched the video?

You are finding **** arguments for your reasoning. Considering that even Microsoft Poland is taking this seriously I would not be so sure this being fake.

Believe what you want. But the facts are, Microsoft Poland is investigating the console, and what has happened. The console has broken. His story appears to be true. Period.

Just because you ignore facts, or WANT to ignore them doesn't mean they cease to exist.