Xbox Series X

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It looks like Microsoft decided to use some common sense (that or enough people made fun of the new naming scheme):
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/new-xbox-name-series-x-release
"The name we're carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox," a Microsoft rep told Business Insider. "And at The Game Awards you saw that name come to life through the Xbox Series X. ... Similar to what fans have seen with previous generations, the name 'Xbox Series X' allows room for additional consoles in the future."

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
69361_4_xbox-series-look-living-room_full.jpg

69361_3_xbox-series-look-living-room_full.jpg

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I think I saw these destroying the earth in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy film. Xbox Series X now with free Vogons, just don't ask them to read any poetry.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Admittedly, I like the design of the Xbox better than the PS5... which has been confirmed or no? There's tons of sites/sources saying that's it but others state it's an early development kit.

Same goes for Xbox... I've only seen renders

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Admittedly, I like the design of the Xbox better than the PS5... which has been confirmed or no? There's tons of sites/sources saying that's it but others state it's an early development kit.

Same goes for Xbox... I've only seen renders

The PS5 is a dev kit, the silver boxes behind it in the leaked pics are the PS4 & PS3 dev kits and completely unlike the final retail consoles. The shape is for stacking them while maintaining maximum cooling.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Xbox Series X could draw up to 300W of power

The Xbox Series X's new Mini-ITX tower design isn't just for show. Its shoebox shape is specifically for heat management, and the new Xbox could belt out some serious thermals as it gobbles up lots of power.

Microsoft touts their new Xbox SX is the world's most powerful console that will "eat monsters for breakfast." It also might eat your power bill. New calculations from DigitalFoundry peg the Xbox Series X's power consumption at up to 300W thanks to the new high-end components housed in the monolith-shaped box. This represents a huge 76% spike in power draw compared to the Xbox One X's 170W.

The TDP numbers are based on the Xbox Series X's new SoC hardware that includes a Navi GPU and Zen 2 CPU combo, which may be overclocked to higher frequencies and stacked with more CUs in order to hit the promised native 4K 60FPS and even 120FPS performance targets. Microsoft says the Xbox SX is twice as powerful as the Xbox One X, and it could pull in twice the power as a result.

Xbox's Phil Spencer asserts the Xbox SX is not only cool, but quiet during gameplay, strongly hinting at an advanced thermal solution for the console. This is probably the most important question especially considering most people will lay the box on its side and nestle it on an entertainment center shelf, not leave it vertically standing for more ventilation. Drawing this much power for a console will generate some serious sizzle, and heat mitigation is tremendously important.

The Xbox Series X's new Mini-ITX tower design isn't just for show. Its shoebox shape is specifically for heat management, and the new Xbox could belt out some serious thermals as it gobbles up lots of power. Microsoft touts their new Xbox SX is the world's most powerful console that will "eat monsters for breakfast." It also might eat your power bill. New calculations from DigitalFoundry peg the Xbox Series X's power consumption at up to 300W thanks to the new high-end components housed in the monolith-shaped box.

This represents a huge 76% spike in power draw compared to the Xbox One X's 170W. The TDP numbers are based on the Xbox Series X's new SoC hardware that includes a Navi GPU and Zen 2 CPU combo, which may be overclocked to higher frequencies and stacked with more CUs in order to hit the promised native 4K 60FPS and even 120FPS performance targets. Microsoft says the Xbox SX is twice as powerful as the Xbox One X, and it could pull in twice the power as a result. Xbox's Phil Spencer asserts the Xbox SX is not only cool, but quiet during gameplay, strongly hinting at an advanced thermal solution for the console. This is probably the most important question especially considering most people will lay the box on its side and nestle it on an entertainment center shelf, not leave it vertically standing for more ventilation.

Drawing this much power for a console will generate some serious sizzle, and heat mitigation is tremendously important. We could see a more advanced vapor chamber cooler similar to the one used in the Xbox One X--a solution which is typically reserved for dedicated graphics cards. So if the Xbox SX pulls in 300W while gaming, how does that compare to other consoles? Here's a quick TDP breakdown: Xbox One - 112W Xbox One S - 70W Xbox One X - 170W PlayStation 4 - up to 230W PS4 Pro - 165W

Check below for confirmed specs and details, and a huge content listing of everything we've heard about Xbox Series X so far: Xbox Series X confirmed details (Formerly Project Scarlett): 8-core, 16-thread Zen 2 CPU Navi GPU on RDNA architecture Highly customized 7nm SoC from AMD GDDR6 memory 2x Xbox One X's 6TFLOPs of GPU perf 4x CPU power of Xbox One generation Can deliver up to 40x more performance than Xbox One in specific use cases Adaptive sync supported Super-fast SSD that can be used as VRAM Supports 8K resolution (likely media playback) 120FPS gaming Variable refresh rate (adaptive sync/FreeSync) Variable Rate Shading Raytracing confirmed with dedicated raytracing cores Backward compatible with thousands of Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One games New controller with a dedicated share button Compatible with Xbox One accessories

The Xbox Series X's new Mini-ITX tower design isn't just for show. Its shoebox shape is specifically for heat management, and the new Xbox could belt out some serious thermals as it gobbles up lots of power. Microsoft touts their new Xbox SX is the world's most powerful console that will "eat monsters for breakfast." It also might eat your power bill. New calculations from DigitalFoundry peg the Xbox Series X's power consumption at up to 300W thanks to the new high-end components housed in the monolith-shaped box.

This represents a huge 76% spike in power draw compared to the Xbox One X's 170W. The TDP numbers are based on the Xbox Series X's new SoC hardware that includes a Navi GPU and Zen 2 CPU combo, which may be overclocked to higher frequencies and stacked with more CUs in order to hit the promised native 4K 60FPS and even 120FPS performance targets. Microsoft says the Xbox SX is twice as powerful as the Xbox One X, and it could pull in twice the power as a result. Xbox's Phil Spencer asserts the Xbox SX is not only cool, but quiet during gameplay, strongly hinting at an advanced thermal solution for the console.

Last edited:

rancherlee

Jul 9, 2000
I really doubt its going to be anywhere near 300w of power, probably under 250W actually. I seriously doubt they will push the clocks much past maximum efficiency range but I really haven't seen a review that underclocks/undervolts a 5700/5700x to see how much power can be cut. I know my "old" Polaris 470X undervolts quite a bit without cutting the clock speed. The One X is a good example, It uses less power than the Original X1 which isn't all from the die shrink, but keeping the graphic clocks pretty low.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
This is kind of LOL.

Is Sony going to have anything either? It's not like Sony to have an exclusive they don't show off a couple of years in advance. I really hope Sony has free PS5 patches (eg 60 fps, improved textures and resolution) for the big 2020 lineup of PS4 games for people who buy the new system. Otherwise PS5 is going to have a pretty lame launch lineup most likely, just like PS4 and PS3 did.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Is Sony going to have anything either? It's not like Sony to have an exclusive they don't show off a couple of years in advance. I really hope Sony has free PS5 patches (eg 60 fps, improved textures and resolution) for the big 2020 lineup of PS4 games for people who buy the new system. Otherwise PS5 is going to have a pretty lame launch lineup most likely, just like PS4 and PS3 did.
Yes Sony will have some. Every console in the history of consoles has had exclusives at launch so I'm confident in saying that.

Unless they pull an Xbox and tell us they won't.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Yes Sony will have some. Every console in the history of consoles has had exclusives at launch so I'm confident in saying that.

Unless they pull an Xbox and tell us they won't.

Yeah just noticed inFAMOUS Second Son and Killzone Shadow Fall weren't officially shown off until that February 2013 reveal of the PS4. I hope the PS5 launch library is better though. I'm really hoping for Day 1 PS5 patches for Cyberpunk, The Last of Us, Part II, Dying Light 2, Ghost of Tsushima, and Nioh 2, free for anyone who bought them on PS4. And for PS5 exclusives I really hope the rumored Bluepoint remake of Demon's Souls holds true. It was great on PS3, but of all games in the series that one could benefit so much from a graphical remake. And hopefully a redo of the two dragon fights.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
The next gen consoles are not really all that different from the current gen, just faster and ray tracing support. Not much different than PC these days. There really shouldn't be any exclusives, just added features for the games on the next gen.

Mar 11, 2004
This is kind of LOL.

Isn't that because games are going to straddle generations? So the next Halo will be on One and the SeX? And the next Minecraft will be on tons of stuff. Etc. I'd guess most of the "exclusive" PS5 games early on will be ports of PS4 games. And then some crap that they try to claim isn't because its a launch game. Or is a game that has no reason to be an "exclusive" because its not using the system in any unique way.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Isn't that because games are going to straddle generations? So the next Halo will be on One and the SeX? And the next Minecraft will be on tons of stuff. Etc. I'd guess most of the "exclusive" PS5 games early on will be ports of PS4 games. And then some crap that they try to claim isn't because its a launch game. Or is a game that has no reason to be an "exclusive" because its not using the system in any unique way.

Minecraft is a super simple game, and can run on something as small as a Raspberry Pi. There is NO good reason why an updated version of that game should be an XBox Series X exclusive. The next Forza Horizon game, on the other hand...

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

Microsoft has shifted focus away from the traditional console wars. They're moving away from the "which hardware platform" sells the most stuff that's been happening and focusing on how the games are played and what they're running on from a software point of view. With Google, and Amazon trying to get into gaming more with things like Stradia and whatnot, it makes sense they want to lockdown the software. From what I saw last week, MS seems to be more concerned about the backend tech. It's easy to say it's because they didn't as sell well this past gen, but I'm not sure they're making a mistake in their thinking

Mar 11, 2004
Ok the forums just lost its mind. Quadruple posted, then went to double post and removed the original after I'd edited the 4th and 3rd posts.

Mar 11, 2004
Minecraft is a super simple game, and can run on something as small as a Raspberry Pi. There is NO good reason why an updated version of that game should be an XBox Series X exclusive. The next Forza Horizon game, on the other hand...

There's a new version of Minecraft coming out this year. Its built on a new engine (think DX12?). Not sure if they said it will for sure be on the One, but think it'll be on the new Xbox and PC. Has ray-tracing support built in. The original version will still exist and I believe be supported on other platforms, but there's a big change coming this year.

Microsoft has shifted focus away from the traditional console wars. They're moving away from the "which hardware platform" sells the most stuff that's been happening and focusing on how the games are played and what they're running on from a software point of view. With Google, and Amazon trying to get into gaming more with things like Stradia and whatnot, it makes sense they want to lockdown the software. From what I saw last week, MS seems to be more concerned about the backend tech. It's easy to say it's because they didn't as sell well this past gen, but I'm not sure they're making a mistake in their thinking

Right, Microsoft has been moving to Xbox as a service for awhile now, they're just not getting too ahead of themselves as Xbox still makes money, and streaming isn't ready yet.

Its weird to me though. I remember when gamers used to complain about exclusives, but now when there's less reason for them than ever before (similar architectures across multiple platforms - arguably most of them as even Nintendo's is fairly compatible due to consistency with PC standards in GPU), now gamers are complaining about the lack of exclusives? What gamers will complain about will seemingly never cease to amaze me I guess.

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
There's a new version of Minecraft coming out this year. Its built on a new engine (think DX12?). Not sure if they said it will for sure be on the One, but think it'll be on the new Xbox and PC. Has ray-tracing support built in. The original version will still exist and I believe be supported on other platforms, but there's a big change coming this year.

There is not a new version of Minecraft coming. It is Minecraft Dungeons, which is a multiplayer ARPG with the same visual style as Minecraft. https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/about-dungeons

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Don't know about on console, but Digital Foundry talks about the upcoming Minecraft RTX in this video at the 9:15 mark:

Oh, I see, I don't consider that a new Minecraft, it is just a ray tracing patch. I thought you were talking about something like Minecraft 2 or something like that.