Xbox Series X

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
More information on specs today. It looks like it will be a decent machine.

• 12 TFLOP GPU powered by RDNA 2
  • Zen 2 CPU
  • Variable Rate Shading support
  • Hardware accelerated DirectX raytracing
  • "Next generation" SSD (gen 4?)
  • HDMI 2.1
  • 120FPS support
  • Backwards compatible with every generation of Xbox
  • Free next gen updates for games you buy for the Xbox One S/X should you upgrade to Xbox Series X
This information is not enough to make a super accurate idea on performance. But, it looks like it will be at least about 2070 super level of GPU performance, with a decent CPU.

I wonder what the CPU will be clocked at, Zen2 are great CPUs. I believe memory is 16GB DDR6 revealed earlier? Should be pretty nice, if those specs hold up, it will be able to deliver 120fps @1080p in plenty of games.

Reactions: killster1

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
More information on specs today. It looks like it will be a decent machine.

• 12 TFLOP GPU powered by RDNA 2
  • Zen 2 CPU
  • Variable Rate Shading support
  • Hardware accelerated DirectX raytracing
  • "Next generation" SSD (gen 4?)
  • HDMI 2.1
  • 120FPS support
  • Backwards compatible with every generation of Xbox
  • Free next gen updates for games you buy for the Xbox One S/X should you upgrade to Xbox Series X
This information is not enough to make a super accurate idea on performance. But, it looks like it will be at least about 2070 super level of GPU performance, with a decent CPU.

I wonder what the CPU will be clocked at, Zen2 are great CPUs. I believe memory is 16GB DDR6 revealed earlier? Should be pretty nice, if those specs hold up, it will be able to deliver 120fps @1080p in plenty of games.

Kind of looks like it'll be a bit over 2080 performance, maybe even knocking on the door of 2080 Super. Wow does Sony have their work cut out for them if Microsoft can get this system on the market for $600.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I can't even get excited for these new consoles. At least not yet. I am not really interested in another generation that is just going to be Halo 15 and Call of Duty 47 with better graphics. Oh and also a bunch of HD remakes of games I played 5 years ago.

There has been nothing about any kind of innovation or anything with the new consoles. And hell MS flat out said the new Xbox won't have exclusives for at least one year.

So wow, the same games we've been playing since Xbox 360 with even better graphics. It just doesn't interest me at all.

This generation my Switch has gotten BY FAR the most play out of all of the consoles, other than X1 when it first came out because I was all about Killer Instinct. But I went close to a year without even playing my X1. And when I did, it was to play an HD remake - RE2. And I only got it on X1 because it's the most powerful console and the controller is better than PS4.

But Switch, the least powerful console, is the most fun console to me. And I wouldn't have played PS4 much either if it weren't for PSVR and a short stint of SF5 until I realized how much it sucked. But PSVR is at least something new and innovative.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I can't even get excited for these new consoles. At least not yet. I am not really interested in another generation that is just going to be Halo 15 and Call of Duty 47 with better graphics. Oh and also a bunch of HD remakes of games I played 5 years ago.

There has been nothing about any kind of innovation or anything with the new consoles. And hell MS flat out said the new Xbox won't have exclusives for at least one year.

So wow, the same games we've been playing since Xbox 360 with even better graphics. It just doesn't interest me at all.

This generation my Switch has gotten BY FAR the most play out of all of the consoles, other than X1 when it first came out because I was all about Killer Instinct. But I went close to a year without even playing my X1. And when I did, it was to play an HD remake - RE2. And I only got it on X1 because it's the most powerful console and the controller is better than PS4.

But Switch, the least powerful console, is the most fun console to me. And I wouldn't have played PS4 much either if it weren't for PSVR and a short stint of SF5 until I realized how much it sucked. But PSVR is at least something new and innovative.

Switch was my most played console in 2019, but that was because it had the most good games last year while Sony's big stuff is coming this year. I think this is huge to get a 2080 Super level gpu and an 8C/16T cpu in the Series X, especially since exclusives tend to suck for a couple of years anyways on anything but Nintendo consoles. So the big games we might want to play on PS5/XSX would possibly just be multiplats anyways for a while. This news makes Series X sound like a much better buy than doing a PC upgrade for instance. It'll be interesting to see what Sony's response will be and maybe shows why we have had such radio silence from Playstation this month.

Also, what does Switch have upcoming in 2020 if you don't care about Animal Crossing? Maybe Bayonetta 3 and a Gamecube Zelda remaster? This doesn't seem like it's going to be that great a year for the Switch.

EDIT: Though I have been playing a little of ペルソナ5スクランブル・ザファントムストライカーズ on Switch lately, not sure if that one is coming this year in English. That'll be a Day 1 buy if so. Though I might play that one on PS4 and just play the Japanese version on Switch.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Switch was my most played console in 2019, but that was because it had the most good games last year while Sony's big stuff is coming this year. I think this is huge to get a 2080 Super level gpu and an 8C/16T cpu in the Series X, especially since exclusives tend to suck for a couple of years anyways on anything but Nintendo consoles. So the big games we might want to play on PS5/XSX would possibly just be multiplats anyways for a while. This news makes Series X sound like a much better buy than doing a PC upgrade for instance. It'll be interesting to see what Sony's response will be and maybe shows why we have had such radio silence from Playstation this month.

Also, what does Switch have upcoming in 2020 if you don't care about Animal Crossing? Maybe Bayonetta 3 and a Gamecube Zelda remaster? This doesn't seem like it's going to be that great a year for the Switch.

EDIT: Though I have been playing a little of ペルソナ5スクランブル・ザファントムストライカーズ on Switch lately, not sure if that one is coming this year in English. That'll be a Day 1 buy if so. Though I might play that one on PS4 and just play the Japanese version on Switch.
Don't really know what is coming out on Switch this year. The best part about Switch is their indie games are just as good and fun if not more than the AAA titles that come out on Switch. And they cost a fraction of the price. I've had just as much fun with those as I have with the mainstream games.

The only game that excites me at all on the other 2 is Ghosts of Tsushima. But that's going to be most likely on PS4 and PS5. The Last of Us 2 will also be great and I'll get that, but let's be real, the hype has gotten stale as hell for that because it's been in development so long and shown like what, 3 years ago? Same with Ghosts of Tsushima in a way.

Everyone keeps hyping up this year for gaming but for me there's nothing that interests me other than those.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Don't really know what is coming out on Switch this year. The best part about Switch is their indie games are just as good and fun if not more than the AAA titles that come out on Switch. And they cost a fraction of the price. I've had just as much fun with those as I have with the mainstream games.

The only game that excites me at all on the other 2 is Ghosts of Tsushima. But that's going to be most likely on PS4 and PS5. The Last of Us 2 will also be great and I'll get that, but let's be real, the hype has gotten stale as hell for that because it's been in development so long and shown like what, 3 years ago? Same with Ghosts of Tsushima in a way.

Everyone keeps hyping up this year for gaming but for me there's nothing that interests me other than those.

Sony hypes all their games for years. They did the same with God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn and those games were amazing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Sony hypes all their games for years. They did the same with God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn and those games were amazing.
I didn't like Horizon Zero Dawn but I did love me some God of War, probably the best PS4 game. I have a soft spot for that game though, and God of War was a complete reboot where they changed the underlying way the game played and everything about it.

TLOU2 looks like more of the same with better graphics. Again, I'm sure it will be fantastic, but it doesn't get me very excited anymore. The hype from that initial trailer 2 years ago wore off a while ago.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

I suspect a lot of this will hinge on what shows up at E3 (and a Sony PS5 event, assuming there is one). It's easy to be worried about the next-gen consoles when hardly any games have been announced for them, and only one (Hellblade 2) is known to have been shown running on new hardware.

There's already some innovation due with the inclusion of SSDs for both. Games that take advantage of those drives could be significantly different. Say, open world games with all the complexity and detail of 'closed' games. Branching narrative games where the choices lead to wildly different paths. That sort of thing.

Not to take away from the Switch. It can sometimes be a font of originality, although I'd note that its best games are frequently modernizations of well-worn formulas (Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Pokemon Sword/Shield and the like). It's just a question of whether those updates are more appealing than what you find on the PS4 and XB1.

I'd say there's a number of innovative games from this generation. Horizon Zero Dawn showed that you could blend open world gaming with very involved combat and an interesting story. Destiny was the pioneer for the "shared world" game. Hell, a current favourite, Detroit, shows that you can have a QTE game that's both thought-provoking and challenging in the same breath.

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
I was having fun with my friends predicting that it will be named xbox two.Now that i see its name i wish they actually called it xbox two...

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I was having fun with my friends predicting that it will be named xbox two.Now that i see its name i wish they actually called it xbox two...

But just imagine what they're going to have to name the next one though.

Now introducing the Xbox Series X One X!

The one after that will be the Xbox Series X One X 360 No Scope.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011

This. No reason to buy a new console when the old ones can play 4k discs for movies.

This time around I'm waiting for the game base to be established between the PS5 and xbox before I buy a console. which ever has the best games with most titles will get my $$$. For now, Im into retro gaming with my modded wii. Nothing like the days of the Atari 2600 to bring nostalgia.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Wait.. $600? I have a one x already with SSD that loads games pretty fast. Will have to see what happens I guess.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005

That thing looks bigger than its actual dimensions, it's less than 7 liters. Even my 8700k/2080ti setup in a S1 case is 8 liters. Although having a 2080 Super class GPU in an all-in-1 fitting a budget makes me worry about the noise level of the machine. I'm guessing cheap fans and high rpms will be expected.

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
That thing looks bigger than its actual dimensions, it's less than 7 liters. Even my 8700k/2080ti setup in a S1 case is 8 liters. Although having a 2080 Super class GPU in an all-in-1 fitting a budget makes me worry about the noise level of the machine. I'm guessing cheap fans and high rpms will be expected.
I recommend looking at the pictures of airflow in the article. There is a single ~130mm-140mm fan, which looks like it's static pressure optimized and relatively low speed. I think this thing is going to be pretty quiet.

trungma

Jul 1, 2001
I am pretty impressed with the specs considering the price point they are trying to hit. Although I still like building gaming PCs, I am getting less and less willing to pay the high prices for Nvidia's top GPUs. The crypto mining boom really screwed the PC gaming scene.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I must be in the minority but these specs mean nothing to me without any games to play on them. They haven't shown anything at all that is interesting enough to buy a new Xbox.

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
I must be in the minority but these specs mean nothing to me without any games to play on them. They haven't shown anything at all that is interesting enough to buy a new Xbox.

It's very early still. Although imho the "<10 second load times" is in itself worth replacement, even if it didn't mean that you also get massive graphical fidelity improvement.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's very early still. Although imho the "<10 second load times" is in itself worth replacement, even if it didn't mean that you also get massive graphical fidelity improvement.
I don't care how early it is I'm just talking about what we know this far. And they flat out said the new Xbox wont' have exclusives for at least a year.

The loading tech demo is a joke to me. I have never played a game that took that long to load in the first place so it's not really something I care about that much. Saving a couple seconds here and there is not going to make me spend $500 or whatever on a new console.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Taken from Engadget:

PlayStation 5Xbox Series X
PriceNot availableNot available
DimensionsNot available151 x 151 x 301 mm (5.94 x 5.94 x 11.85 inches)
WeightNot available4.45 kg (9.8 pounds)
CPUCustom AMD Zen 2, 8-core 3.5 GHzCustom AMD Zen 2, 8-core 3.8 GHz
GPUCustom RDNA 2, 10.28 TFLOP, 36 CU at 2.23 GHzCustom RDNA 2, 12 TFLOP, 52 CU at 1.825 GHz
RAM16 GB GDDR6 256-bit16 GB GDDR6 256-bit
Memory bandwidth448 GB/s10GB at 560GB/s, 6GB at 336GB/s
Internal storage825 GB SSD1 TB SSD
I/O throughput5.5 GB/s (raw), 8-9 GB/s (compressed)2.4 GB/s (raw), 4.8 GB/s (compressed)
External storageUSB HDD support1 TB expansion card, USB HDD support
Physical media4K UHD Blu-ray4K UHD Blu-ray
Output resolution4K4K at 60 fps