X-Men, Pretty Good

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bUnMaNGo

Feb 9, 2000
haha yea chooie I thought that was one of the funniest parts of the movie :p there were some kinda corny parts in the movie such as the emotional scenes involving wolverine... but overall the movie was pretty good :) and yes, rogue looked pretty hot :p one thing I don't get though is that at the beginning of the movie, when rogue was in the room with her b/f or whatever... she looked older than she did in the rest of the film... or at least she did to me... anybody else think that?

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
ITK007, Wolverine, was played by the Australian actor 'Hugh Jackman'. Other than a couple of movies, a little television & maybe a couple of adds, he's mostly done theatre (both drama & musicals) in the past.

BTW, one of the women stars is from New Zealand.

Kitros

Golden Member
May 6, 2000
Well, to the people that were "disappointed", get your face out of that comic book. To say it wasn't true to the comic is like saying Jurassic Park wasn't true to the novel. Sure, a handful of us wouldn't mind a 5 hr movie with all origins covered, but budget doesn't permit that, and Stan Lee is a tired man...he's gotta take his sequel breaks....:)

I loved it. It was as funny and corny, yet action packed, etc (as close as ;)) to the comics. I also saw the "cameos" of others.... can you say sequel foreshadowing? hehe

Oh yeah...what the hell was up with Storm's finish line with toad? Was that just dumb or what? ...the same thing that happens to everything else that's hit by lightning....WTF!?

Rogue is a hottie. Good lord.

Wolverine was great.

Given that this was a modified beginning/origin, Cyclops(although young) did an OK job.

WHERE WERE BEAST AND GAMBIT!? Those are my 2 favs....:(

Damn, Rogue's cute.

Pat Stewart = Good Xavier...(we all knew he would be, he's already bald!)

Villains were good, not great.
X-men were good, and I really liked Logan's fighting abilities, especially after getting kicked in the balls...(beats the hell out of Storm's fighting ability...bah!)

...there's a Storm coming...:p LAME

Overall: 8.5
...and a lot better than the Avengers (potoooie:|)

Kitros

Golden Member
May 6, 2000
Update from eonline:

Where Are My Mutants? Although fan favorites like Colossus and Shadowcat have cameos, notable mainstays such as Nightcrawler and Gambit remain MIA. But with some 34 different X-Men created over the 37-year run of the comic book, let's cut the writers a little slack. Sequels is the key word here, people.

Speaking of Which... Sequels are already being planned, with rumors of another X-Man from the original team--the Beast--joining Xavier's gang. The sentinels, gigantic mutant-hunting robots, are rumored to be the baddies in the follow-up plans, with an evil Jean Grey a possibility for the third. Although all the principal actors have return engagements in their contracts, director Singer is not a definite.

kendogg

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The movie was great! As you can see the majority who replied to this thread has enjoyed the movie. So i wont go on talking about the movie. Hehe lets just talk about the ladies

It seems like everyone thinks Rogue was FINE?
I dont think she was fine at all, well depending on what your definition of fine is i guess it all varies. To give Rogue a Fine status is rating her too high i think. She was ok.

Defenition of FINE to me is a Girl thats flawless. Nice body and nice facial features. For example I think Natalie Portman is FINE! she can be seen here http://www.natportman.com/cgi-bin/viewpic.pl?stills2/gs12.jpg

Halle Berry is pretty fine but she didnt look so hot with white hair
:( nor did Rebecca with scaled lookin skin.

Jean Grey :p yummy she was lookin pretty hot way better than Rogue in my opinion. Found a pretty nice picture of her too http://mars-colony.com/famke/

Bozo Galora

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 1999

Film did 21.3 million on Friday alone!

BTW: Wazzup with that Holocaust thing? Was that in comics?

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
I thought Hugh Jackman was excellent as Wolverine. Although his lanky physique didn't quite match Wolverine's more stocky, muscular physique, they did a good job with the make up and all, especially with the hair and sideburns (and besides, it's damn near impossible to find someone that looks exactly like a comic book character *and* can act). Also, he did a damn good job playing the character. Very convincing.

Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm, Mystique, bleh... They were all lame. The guy who played Cyclops was - in particular - very ill suited to play the role. He was little more than a pretty boy in a costume, and his lack of acting skills did not help much either. The movie didn't develop their characters much, and it was all for the better, because 1) the actors suck, and 2) those characters suck.

And Patrick Stewart was - not surprisingly - great as Professor X. Wizard magazine has a monthly section in which they cast a make believe comic book movie. Everytime they cast an X-Men movie, Patrick Stewart was always their pick for Professor X. Kudos to the director for securing Patrick Stewart as the Professor, because it paid off.

Ray Park and Tyler Mane were good too.

They didn't have half the X-Men or evil villians in the movie,

There have probably been about 50 characters or so that at some point have been "X-Men", and maybe 4 times as many minor characters and villians. I think they assembled the most popular team, as the Fox Kids cartoon did when it came out 7 years ago.

BTW: I also liked the way they split the screen time in the movie, it was just like it is in the X-Men comics (at least since Wolverine debuted some 20 odd years ago). He's a lot more popular than all the other X-Men, and gets a larger chunk of the comic space, which - thankfully - has translated to an equivalent amount of screentime for him in the movie.

Maybe I liked this movie so much, because the last two Batman movies sucked so bad and lowered my standards. Oh well, can't wait to see it again when it hits DVD :)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I loved the movie. The action, the special effects, and all just meshed well. Ummm, Famke Jansen:) Screw the Matrix, X-Men all the way--something I can actually identify with (used to read the comic books all the time).

The only thing I griped about was the ending...although it does leave the series open for more movies :D

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
HELL YEA THE HOLOCAUST WAS IN THE COMICS, that is one of the reason magneto hates all humans, and that is his weakness. Prof. X used it against him, not only was it in the comics, but also the cartoon.

BTW, Halle is RIGHT for being upset with the movie, not only was she NOT given the chance to act, but she was given STUPID catch phrases. i liked her with the white hair!

like i was saying earlier, BEAST was an original X-Men. i didnt think wolvie was though, but for some reason, i get the memory of him wearing all black, before the yellow tights. and wasnt rogue supposed to be the same age as storm? or is it that storm doesnt age similar to wolvie.

if jack nicholson was 20 years younger, HE would be the PERFECT wolverine, if only he was bigger and moved faster, :p

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"You know what happens something gets struck by lightning..."

That was pretty lame ;)

"Hey, it's me"
"Proove it"
"You're a dick"

Muahaha...classic :D

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hell, every woman in that movie was FINE except Rebecca 'cause you couldn't see jack sh!t

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
one thing that makes me mad though, is that people will turn X-Men into a fad. it will just create a surge in X-Men merchandise, and then die out, im hoping this wont ruin the X legacy that i love.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
After seeing the movie, I went through my old comic book stash. Time to read CODENAME: WOLVERINE #50, Jan '91

It's the yellow cardboard cover with three slash marks through the front. I wonder how much it's worth now? :p

dl

Banned
Oct 29, 1999
another vote for Gambit and Beast...both should be in the movie...

NFS4 (Screw the Matrix)

You shall be hanged for this! :p

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
wooooo, i got like 10 boxes of comic books in my basement, time to break them out. i got stuff u wont believe, something called Sabastion, HAHAHAHA

it is the MOST boring comic book ive ever read,

im out

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
They should make the Secret Wars into a movie. That would nicely fit into 2 hours, with a tight plot and plenty of heroes and villains.

Mmm...Galactus, Viktor von Doom, The Beyonder, Doc Oc...

http://members.tripod.de/maelmill/SECRWARS.HTM

Marvel Villains: http://www.sigma.net/burch/index.html

Marvel Women: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/2855/more.html

Marvel Second Stringers: http://home.flash.net/~jeanneb/

Marvel Mutants: http://marvel.exposure2k.com/characters/mutantlinks.html

Database: http://members.tripod.de/maelmill/FRAMES.HTM

Positively Crazy (John MellencamP)

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
I wish i had old comics. I would read them, but I am too damn poor to buy so many of them. The cartoon was surprisingly good though.

judgejudy

Nov 15, 1999
Wow, I was pleasantly suprised by this movie, I thought it would be cheesy, but it was suprisingly serious. Excellent graphics, can't wait for the sequel.

MisterM

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmph, I never got to read the secret wars comics, I only saw a few "flashbacks" in some other comics! :(

Dr. Doom = kickass! :D

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
if jack nicholson was 20 years younger, HE would be the PERFECT wolverine, if only he was bigger and moved faster,

Hell yes! Good call on that one. Actually, size wise, I think he would be OK, since he seems like he's around average height. A 35 year old Jack Nicholson, after a few months of working out in the gymn would have been perfect for Wolverine. I think Hugh Jackman did a fairly good job though. :)

Also, someone on another thread suggested that Angela Bassett should have been cast as Storm. Good call on that one too.

one thing that makes me mad though, is that people will turn X-Men into a fad. it will just create a surge in X-Men merchandise, and then die out, im hoping this wont ruin the X legacy that i love.

I don't see how that would necessarily be bad. Anything that attracts new readers to the X-Men and comic books in general would be a good thing. Media hypes and fads have never had, and never will have any lasting impact on the content of comic books. But, the interest that they create for comics is necessary for the business's survival. Marvel comics is in such bad financial shape right now, that if the X-Men movie doesn't create renewed demand for the series, Marvel could be closing shop next year.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Could you imagine Jack as Wolverine???? That what be INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

He was GREAT as the Joker in Batman. He should have gotten an oscar for that performance :p