WTF is wrong with people?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
What if the real God doesn't want people to believe in him? Maybe he values his privacy and just wants to be left alone, eh?

Anyway, the shoes seem like a silly gimmick to me. Parasitical on religion, really, as if Christianity didn't exist none of this "Satanic" bollox would mean anything. I wonder what were the labour conditions under which they were manufactured?
Probably shouldn't have wrote those books then. Or at least smote whoever did.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
What if the real God doesn't want people to believe in him? Maybe he values his privacy and just wants to be left alone, eh?

Anyway, the shoes seem like a silly gimmick to me. Parasitical on religion, really, as if Christianity didn't exist none of this "Satanic" bollox would mean anything. I wonder what were the labour conditions under which they were manufactured?
The original Nike sweatshop was probably just as terrible as ever, but the artists that bled into the shoes probably have a more comfortable gig.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
article on how this was a genius move, and a bit about what it's all about too. remember, lil nas x came out as gay, and the religious right think that means he is going to hell. fuck conservative religious bigots getting their panties in a bunch.

I had some opinions on this until I read about this. Fuck it, fuck religion, and fuck the man. Rock on dude, own the counter culture.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Why do people collect baseball cards or basketball cards? Because they like it and see it as investment. This is no different.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
People pay millions for NFTs.

I know kids in high school and college making near six figures a year in profits buying and sell limited edition shoes.

Reactions: weblooker2021

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
People pay millions for NFTs.

I know kids in high school and college making near six figures a year in profits buying and sell limited edition shoes.
I owned literally dozens of pairs of original Air Jordans back in the day. I was a skater, and they were the best skate shoes. I burned through at least a pair a month, and the old Nike outlet store on MLK sold returns and irregulars for cheap ($25-30/pair IIRC). Many times I've wished that I'd kept just one pair in mint condition.

Reactions: weblooker2021

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
JuPPruG.jpg

Well Lil Nas is certainly getting some good publicity out of this.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm pretty sure a least a few rock bands have used Satan to sell albums as far back as the 70's.
And lets not forget about Guns N Roses.......

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
You can't sell human body parts in the United States, it's illegal. At least, it was.
Parts is parts.
I don't get it.
:confused:
It's been foretold for 10,000 years.
He loses.
1. Didn't know that that was a "delusion".
2. Yes, I thought that they actually believed that they were worshiping something that existed. Otherwise, what's behind the whole drinking blood and sacrificing virgins thing?
You're saying that he gave 666 drops of his OWN blood? :astonished:
Either way, selling human material is still illegal in the United States.
I also said that selling human material is illegal in the United States.
It's not use, but the purchase that is illegal.
Ok.
Unless they shoved an organ in the shoe I don't think they are going to be charged with anything.
Blood is not an organ
Doesn't really seem to apply to blood?
Not really sure.. I know that human skin is actually considered an "organ" but asked for blood I probably need to find some medical reference for that.
Let's just call the whole thing disgusting call it a day.
Is an eyelash an organ? How bout a few skin cells that detach? I guess when you cut your fingernails, you are tossing organs into the garbage?

Blood isn't an organ. Unless ALL of your posts here were undetected sarcasm or something...you're a fucking idiot.

Reactions: snoopy7548

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
It's interesting how people are more upset by what the shoes are made of rather than how they're made.

Reactions: alien42

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Nike is suing, presumably because the people that customized these shoes were paid fairly and were past puberty. Sets a bad precedent.
I don't see how they have standing. Isn't there some right of sale doctrine? There was a case a while back about a kid importing textbooks and then reselling them. this has the additional layer of value-added processing.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I don't see how they have standing. Isn't there some right of sale doctrine? There was a case a while back about a kid importing textbooks and then reselling them. this has the additional layer of value-added processing.
Probably suing on grounds that tons of people who only read headlines think these are made by Nike and thus is hurting their reputation. If I had to guess. IANAL

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Probably suing on grounds that tons of people who only read headlines think these are made by Nike and thus is hurting their reputation. If I had to guess. IANAL
That makes sense to me (also not a lawyer)

Edit: arstechnica has a good write-up on it. Nike is indeed coming at it from the brand-damaging angle since their logo is still on the shoe

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I'm probably too late on this, but people want them because they are 100% collectors edition.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Just looks like a regular shoe with some pentagrams slapped on it, I'm more offended that this shit sold out that fast but celebrity worship is a weird thing.

Edit: Anyway I wouldn't wear these things but wouldn't think wearing them would send you to hell if you are really a good person. I find it weird people think they'll automatically go to heaven just for being christian or hell if they're atheist.

This isn’t celebrity worship insomuch as it is sneaker culture.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I find it weird people think they'll automatically go to heaven just for being christian or hell if they're atheist.

I don't even go that far. I find it weird that people believe in either with zero proof.